Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy O'Rourke

Jimmy O'Rourke

New player profile on the Hibernian Historical Trust website

Jimmy O'Rourke

Please read here

Definitely a player who can be called 'One of Our Own'

Please share your memories of Jimmy below

P.s. What we would give for a player like him in the Hibs team this coming season

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs History View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New player profile on the Hibernian Historical Trust website

Jimmy O'Rourke

Please read here

Definitely a player who can be called 'One of Our Own'

Please share your memories of Jimmy below

P.s. What we would give for a player like him in the Hibs team this coming season

My all time fav Hibs player along with Paddy of course.
    Rocky Quote : "That Zed looks like a 7"

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    jimmy, jimmy o'rourke

everyone knows his name

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    My all time fav Hibs player along with Paddy of course.
    Ditto

Jimmy O'Rourke..... A rich man's Wayne Rooney

Blog Entries
    I am truly privileged to have been friends with Jimmy for well over 50 years. A couple of Jimmy/Turnbull stories some on here may not know.
    1. We're playing at home & winning comfortably, ball is hit up right wing to Jimmy who backheels it into space for another Hibs player to collect. Jimmy beaming with pleasure, Turnbull out of dugout 10 yards away, " O'Rourke, leave the tricks to the good players"!!
    2. Jimmy has a word with Ned that he's feeling a bit isolated in role he's playing. He says I keep making these runs but when I look round, Stanton, Edwards & Brownlie are playing these wee triangles & not feeding me. Turnbull, " how many goals you scored this season so far Jimmy"? "24 boss", " just keep making these !!!!!!! runs son" !!
    The wonderful thing is it's Jimmy who tells these disparaging comments about himself. Great guy, great player, great Hibby!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I am truly privileged to have been friends with Jimmy for well over 50 years. A couple of Jimmy/Turnbull stories some on here may not know.
    1. We're playing at home & winning comfortably, ball is hit up right wing to Jimmy who backheels it into space for another Hibs player to collect. Jimmy beaming with pleasure, Turnbull out of dugout 10 yards away, " O'Rourke, leave the tricks to the good players"!!
    2. Jimmy has a word with Ned that he's feeling a bit isolated in role he's playing. He says I keep making these runs but when I look round, Stanton, Edwards & Brownlie are playing these wee triangles & not feeding me. Turnbull, " how many goals you scored this season so far Jimmy"? "24 boss", " just keep making these !!!!!!! runs son" !!
    The wonderful thing is it's Jimmy who tells these disparaging comments about himself. Great guy, great player, great Hibby!
    I like the story about sitting him next to a couple of jambos and saying ok I know you're dying to ask so I'll tell you- it was the first and the sixth. class

Can't believe it's missed out the Gylemuir as one of his pubs, maybe he requested that.
    Our bus left from there in the late 80's to 90's.

Guaranteed after getting back he'd be cracking jokes about his ex as the night went on, put your house on the Chinese phone book one getting a mention.

Had the privilege of seeing Jimmy make his debut for Hibs when I was a nipper

Believe me it wasn't last week :-)

Also met him often in the Corrie Inn when I went there for a pint at teatime when I worked in Corrie

He was nothing but a gentleman and always willing to have a blether and tell stories about all things Hibs

Legend :-)

I wish he was still in the Corrie Inn!

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    I like the story about sitting him next to a couple of jambos and saying ok I know you're dying to ask so I'll tell you- it was the first and the sixth. class
    Love it. Those two and the one in the 1972 League Cup Final makes him a legend. Add all his other goals, his ongoing support for him and the man himself and you get a true legend.

My hero when he played, great attacking midfielder with legs like tree trunks. I've had the pleasure to know Jimmy for about 30 years now, great sense of humour and a true gent, legend in my eyes.

Allied to what I said in my earlier post what would'nt we give for a front pairing of Jimmy and big Alan Gordon this coming season

Drool

First Team Breakthrough KazHibby's Avatar
    Hibs class
    Many pre match drinks at jocks lodge
    And late drinks at corrie inn
    GGTTH
    He is obe of our own

Meet Jimmy a good few times and drunk in Jocks lodge now and again . Jimmy was always happy to discuss all things Hibs.
    Went to see the Tornado's as a boy little did I know how spoilt we were at that time.

Jimmy played his part in a great Hibs team he is a Hibby LEGEND

Behind only Sir Pat and Le God for me. Legend.

He and Sir Pat scored in my first ever Hibs game v St J at the auld Muirton Park.

Also used to drink in the Corrie Inn. Jimmy was always great fun and had a host of stories. Absolute legend

First Team Breakthrough stanton_4's Avatar
    I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
    Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.

First Team Breakthrough Green Blood's Avatar

[QUOTE=stanton_4;3663958]I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
    Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.[/The same thing happened to me in Asda, and Jimmy made out as if he remembered me, which made me feel ten feet tall at the time (and still does) His performances from the start of the 72/73 season were unbelievable culminating with the opener and sixth in the 7-0 game. How he never won a cap is beyond me. If he were playing in this era, he would have 100 caps and be a millionaire. Likewise Alan Gordon who was picked for a 'Rest of the World select in a testimonial match in Germany was never capped for Scotland. If there was ever a better partnership in Scottish football, I never saw them. I heard recently that he wasn't in the best of health, but hopefully he is OK. If anyone knows how he is could you let us know.]

My best memory of Jimmy was, probably, after he left Hibs. His first game against Hibs was at Muirton in a League Cup section game and thousands of Hibbies made the trip. The game could barely get started when the Hibbies mobbed Jimmy on the pitch!! Not such a good memory when he scored the winner at ER in his first League game against us just a couple of weeks later, mind!!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Wonderful player for Hibs. I was a laddie during Turnbull's Tornaodes and my memory of Jimmy O'Rourke is of a bustling wee dynamo, all action style and fantastic finishing.

As an aside, I notice the article mentions that it took Jimmy a good few years to win a regular place in the team. Whilst injury contributed, so did being inconsistent and being played out of position. Jimmy eventually came good and became a Hibees legend. Just with all the recent Wotherspooon debate and the polarised views of his abilities, maybe there are some parallels and lessons to be learned? I wonder if Jimmy would have lasted those difficult years if he was at Hibs now?

The youngest player to score for Hibs, ever.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Stuart Cosgrove told a decent yarn one time about Jimmy. Reporter was phoning through his copy to an office in England and couldn't pronounce his Rs. When advising of the goalscorers the person on the end of the line couldn't understand O'Rourkes name (try it!). He asked the reporter to spell it and that was even worse. "Let's give this one more try Jock!".
    "Okay" says the reporter "Stanton scored both goals!"

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Tom Hart RIP;3664080]
    Quote Originally Posted by stanton_4 View Post
    I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
    Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.[/The same thing happened to me in Asda, and Jimmy made out as if he remembered me, which made me feel ten feet tall at the time (and still does) His performances from the start of the 72/73 season were unbelievable culminating with the opener and sixth in the 7-0 game. How he never won a cap is beyond me. If he were playing in this era, he would have 100 caps and be a millionaire. Likewise Alan Gordon who was picked for a 'Rest of the World select in a testimonial match in Germany was never capped for Scotland. If there was ever a better partnership in Scottish football, I never saw them. I heard recently that he wasn't in the best of health, but hopefully he is OK. If anyone knows how he is could you let us know.]
    Jimmy's well, I've sent you a pm.

[QUOTE=brog;3664213]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post

Jimmy's well, I've sent you a pm.
    Cheers. Thanks for that

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Talk of the Tornadoes still gets me misty eyed even after all these years.

I remember my old man telling me how good the famous five were and I was disbelieving.

My son and daughter are now fed up hearing about the Tornadoes.

O'Rourke was a great player, all action and a great finisher and definitely is and was one of our own.

Good article on O'Rourke here, one of my hero's as a boy, still remember that great winning header in the 1972 League Cup Final (around 2:45 on the vid below), will always be a Hibs legend.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.u...ebut-for-hibs/

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    My best memory of Jimmy was, probably, after he left Hibs. His first game against Hibs was at Muirton in a League Cup section game and thousands of Hibbies made the trip. The game could barely get started when the Hibbies mobbed Jimmy on the pitch!! Not such a good memory when he scored the winner at ER in his first League game against us just a couple of weeks later, mind!!
    I remember it well (scored up the hill). I actually applauded the goal - I was still hurting that he'd been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I remember it well (scored up the hill). I actually applauded the goal - I was still hurting that he'd been sold.

I was wondering when this would first be mentioned. Will this end up being another Turnbull bashing thread?

Quote Originally Posted by YehButNo But View Post
    Good article on O'Rourke here, one of my hero's as a boy, still remember that great winning header in the 1972 League Cup Final (around 2:45 on the vid below), will always be a Hibs legend.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.u...ebut-for-hibs/

Great goal from O'Rourke He scored a 40 yarder at Hampden, cracker, was that in the 5-3 Drybourough Cup final? Can't remember which game.

Stanton's composure in the LC win is a masterclass. The way he took the goal, his cross for Jimmy's goal and the way breezes past some of the best midfielders in Scotland/UK/Europe in that game stills looks like modern football - and he was one of the best Scottish centre-backs ever, but was kept out that position by someone who was even better in John Blackley . Did someone say we were spoiled watching that side?