@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

Callum Booth loan to Raith

2. Log in to remove the advert

If true, game over for him at Hibs.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Didn't rate him much anyway tbh. Not bad going forward but pretty weak in defense. Plus doesn't he ment to have 'off field problems' too?
    Happy we have Mcgivern and would play him(an international!) over Booth everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Afraid so

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Its certainly looking that way, shame the way he burst onto the scene, i had great hopes for him.

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why our promising youngsters fail to progress beyond a certain level? Booth seemed to me to have some great talent: is it all down to him that he has failed to make the grade at ER, or are we as a club unable to coach, and mentor these guys professionally?

I would have thought the Hibs coaching staff would have re-assessed the situation with Booth after seeing him in pre season training \ Bounce games before making such a decision. Going out on loan again so quickly, it would seem that Fenlon ha his mind made up about Booth a long time ago and ain't for budging.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why our promising youngsters fail to progress beyond a certain level? Booth seemed to me to have some great talent: is it all down to him that he has failed to make the grade at ER, or are we as a club unable to coach, and mentor these guys professionally?
    It's the same at all clubs. Some just do not progress and very few make it.

On occasions some get lucky with few coming through at once, luck also plays a part.
    Cougars!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I would have thought the Hibs coaching staff would have re-assessed the situation with Booth after seeing him in pre season training \ Bounce games before making such a decision. Going out on loan again so quickly, it would seem that Fenlon ha his mind made up about Booth a long time ago and ain't for budging.
    Has Pre season even started yet, I thought it was friday? Bit of a weird one. Am I right in thinking this is Booths last year on his contract?

Would have liked to see him back at hibs for pre season. Maybe tried him at left mid as he was great going forward.

Thought he was a star in the making when first braking through

Shame we likely won't see him playing for Hibs again, he's still got a career ahead of him though so good luck to the lad

Worse clubs to find yourself at than Raith. Best of luck.

@hibs.net private member
    Also thought he had bags of quality going forward, although had a lot to learn as a defender and maybe had more of a future as a wide midfielder - surprised and disappointed he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It's a shame, but thats football unfortunately. Best of luck CB! Still think your stoater against ICT was one of the best goals I've ever seen

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Maybe Calum saw mc givern and Lewis in front of him and didn't fancy a season on the sidelines when he needs to be playing regular football?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I dont think thats unique to Hibs, and I also dont think our youngsters fail as much as you are suggesting.

A few years ago we brought through an outstanding group of players, and if you look at the end of last season we had Stevenson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Handling, Harris, Caldwell and Forster all in or around the starting 11, and all of whom we developed (you could probably include Thomson as well).

Players will reach different levels and develop in different ways, some make it, some dont. I think we are actually one of the better clubs for bringing through young players.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Confirmed by Raith

http://www.raithrovers.net/9246/booth-to-the-squad.htm

Manager Grant Murray has moved to further strengthen the squad for the upcoming campaign by securing the services of Hibernian left back / midfielder Callum Booth on a season long loan.

The 22 year old has been on Hibs’ books since the age of 10 and showed sufficient potential to have been awarded a 5 year contract by the Easter Road side back in 2010. Callum, capped at both Under 19 and Under 21 levels, has also gained valuable first team experience in loan periods with Arbroath, Brechin and Livingston.

Callum will join his new team mates for the start of pre season training on Saturday, and no doubt will be looking forward to facing his parent club in next month’s pre season friendly (Fri 12th July).

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Lantern View Post
    Has Pre season even started yet, I thought it was friday? Bit of a weird one. Am I right in thinking this is Booths last year on his contract?
    BOOTH was under contract until June 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Also thought he had bags of quality going forward, although had a lot to learn as a defender and maybe had more of a future as a wide midfielder - surprised and disappointed he seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    if you are PF and his coaching team and you have the choice in a similar part of the team amongst youngsters to go with Booth ( 21yoa), Alex Harris (18yoa) OR the highly rated and promising Sam Stanton (18 YOA) - maybe Booth has for now missed
    sed his window of opportunity in the Hibs squad?? He's up against some stiff competition that are even younger than he is!!

Who was the manager when CB got his 5 year contract?
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Who was the manager when CB got his 5 year contract?
    Colin Calderwood.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Colin Calderwood.
    Says it all about that numpty
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of cc, but that's harsh. I imagine the thread at the time was full of positive replies about we had tied down one of the most promising youngsters we'd seen breaking into the team since Williamson brought through all the youngsters.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'm not a fan of cc, but that's harsh. I imagine the thread at the time was full of positive replies about we had tied down one of the most promising youngsters we'd seen breaking into the team since Williamson brought through all the youngsters.
    Harsh - ok agreed CC was still an er5e though
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    When he was on loan at Arbroath, their Manager said he was the finest youngster he'd ever seen!
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 21-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Personally think the problem lately with youngsters breaking through has been the constant chopping an changing of managers, new managers want time to settle and play experienced players before going to the u20s to look as they try get a good start at a new team which more often than not for us has not worked. Now with pat fenlon having a half decent squad and in time for a not bad period of time were starting to see youngsters flourish

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Thought it was Rod that done the contracts.

CC probably only recommended that he is worth a new contract and Rod seen how well the lad was coming on and thought better get this lad signed up on a long contract so that we can sell him in a couple of years and make money on him.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Harsh - ok agreed CC was still an er5e though
    Agreed.
    Mon the Hibs.

I was at his table a couple of seasons ago with Ozzy Osbourne at a sponsors event. We all had a good laugh and he came across as a really decent guy.

Real shame he wasn't able to kick on as we all seem to want.

Wait.... What? You were at a sponsers event with Callum booth and Ozzy osbourne? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Personally think the problem lately with youngsters breaking through has been the constant chopping an changing of managers, new managers want time to settle and play experienced players before going to the u20s to look as they try get a good start at a new team which more often than not for us has not worked. Now with pat fenlon having a half decent squad and in time for a not bad period of time were starting to see youngsters flourish
    This situation with young players is not a new one
    I have written about my own experiences on several previous threads and apologise for repeating myself.
    Hundreds of 15/16 year old's have been hailed , over the years , as " talented " " extremely promising " , myself included !!
    I played first team football at 18 and by 19 was told " sorry but you haven't progressed as we hoped you would and we are freeing you "
    Why was that ?
    I trained hard listened to the coaches , did my best but that vital something to take me to the next level just wasn't there !
    I personally know of around twenty young lads who over the years , who after looking like stars of the future , haven't been able to make the step up
    Lads like
    Kenny Allison who played 5 games in 1958 and went to Dumbarton
    Tom Stevens who played 1 game in 1972 and went to Hamilton
    Both these lads were looked on as " good prospects "
    Reasons ?
    That is the $64000 question