hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs player you wish you had seen play at Easter Road

Everybody has their favourite player they have seen play at Easter Road. For me it was Frank Sauzee. Skill, bravery, grace, everything a footballer should have. However the player I wished I had seen play at Easter Road was Joe Baker. My dad says he was the most complete forward ever and could score goals for fun. So for what ever reason you didn't see the player at Easter Road (not born, to young, etc.) What player do you wish you could have seen?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gordon Smith every day of the week.

Never heard anyone describe him as anything less than world class.

Joe Baker is a good shout as well. Played in the same team as my Grandad and was a bit special by all accounts!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gordon Smith every day of the week.

Never heard anyone describe him as anything less than world class.

Joe Baker is a good shout as well. Played in the same team as my Grandad and was a bit special by all accounts!
    That would be mine also when someone like Sir Stanley Matthews is saying he was the best player he had seen then you know he must have been something special. He was my dad's favourite player with stories of him running down the line keeping the ball up with his head.

Saw Joe Baker on his return and while he was still an excellent player his mobility wast quite as good I am assuming but still looked a real player.

Who was your grandad if you dont mind me asking? No probs if you dont want to say.

The Famous Five and Joe Baker.

@hibs.net private member
    Gordon Smith

Coaching Staff
    I'd be interested in seeing any of the great 50's, 60's and 70's teams.

I think it's really difficult to try and think about how good these guys were and who they really compare to these days in Scottish football or world football, if they really were world class.

Was world class then equivalent to world class now or is world class then probably below what we'd be used to seeing now even in Scotland?

It'd be interesting and I've never really had anyone who seen some of these players be able to clearly compare them to anyone that I'd be able to match them up to from recent times.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Gordon Smith, Lawrie Reilly or about five players from the tornadoes.

A wee bit leftfield but watching a DVD of the tornadoes and was struck with the amount of goals Alan Gordon scored which is the hardest part of the game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Gordon Smith, Lawrie Reilly or about five players from the tornadoes.

A wee bit leftfield but watching a DVD of the tornadoes and was struck with the amount of goals Alan Gordon scored which is the hardest part of the game.
    Alan Gordon was my hero as a youngster ..I was amazed to see he only played around 90 games for us ..he was a great goal scorer during his time at Hibs

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    George Best at ER or anywhere simply so I could see for myself if he was as good as everyone claims.

Gordon Smith.

40 years ago I once asked my old man how good he was compared to players of the time that I was familar with and quick as a flash he replied "He was better than Pele for starters"...not a bad yardstick!

Shades

Probably the Famous Five, but I would also have loved to see Cropley play

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Stanton

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Any of the Famous Five, but Gordon Smith in particular. Joe Baker too. All came before my time, but I also have some regret that players like Stanton and O'Rourke were still playing when I started watching Hibs, so although I saw them play I was too young to really register how good they were.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing any of the great 50's, 60's and 70's teams.

I think it's really difficult to try and think about how good these guys were and who they really compare to these days in Scottish football or world football, if they really were world class.

Was world class then equivalent to world class now or is world class then probably below what we'd be used to seeing now even in Scotland?

It'd be interesting and I've never really had anyone who seen some of these players be able to clearly compare them to anyone that I'd be able to match them up to from recent times.
    Interesting point - what if the guys from back then had the same facilities, training regimes, lightweight balls, boots, perfect pitches to play on and cash rewards that today's "world -class" players have: would they be just as good or perhaps even better? Conversely, what if today's top players had to make do with heavy, laced, leather footballs on muddy pitches, with a day job, etc: would they be just as good? I'd like to have seen the young Joe Baker - I saw the "old" one when he returned to ER against Aberdeen (white boots and all), but the young Joe Baker must have been really something....

I saw Baker playing for Arsenal and also in his second spell with Hibs but after a great start he wasn't so good. Smith was playing for Dundee when I saw him. Also not so good by that time. Wish I'd been born ten years earlier!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I would love to have seen the famous five and joe baker. I would also have liked to have seen willie hamilton as everyone says he was a great player.

Testimonial Due
    Brian kerr. Never seen him play.

First Team Breakthrough
    Frank Sauzee, I missed him by one season. Seen him manage

First Team Breakthrough
    Sauzee. Realistically i could have seen him play but unfortunately my first game was Bobby Williamsons first game in charge. Think we beat St Johnstone 3-0?

Pat Stanton is the other player I wish I could have seen. Heard so much about him and from the clips I've seen he looked fantastic.

First Team Breakthrough
    Famous Five and Willie Hamilton

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool Hibs players you wish you had seen play at easter road

The famous five willie hamilton sauzee latapy

@hibs.net private member
    Benny Brazil, turned up often enough but never saw him play, missed his hat-trick game

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Gordon Smith for me, while I would have loved to have seen Sir Pat the stories I used to hear about Smith from my grandparents and from stories in books where he mentioned one of his biggest regrets n football was not scoring a goal with his head (he wasnt talking about a header, he used to try and get the ball on the halfway line a dribble with the ball on his head and score), claims he did it in training but never in a match. Just for that alone for the skill t would be like watching Messi today!

First Team Breakthrough West Upper's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: v HiiB3RNI4N x
    The Famous Five

Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post
    The famous five willie hamilton sauzee latapy
    Willie Hamilton. I watched him all right. Amazing. He was ahead of his time.

Kuqi

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by West Upper View Post
    The Famous Five

It was a privilege and a joy to watch the Tornadoes but from all accounts it would have been brilliant to see the Famous Five in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    George Best at ER or anywhere simply so I could see for myself if he was as good as everyone claims.
    He wasn't I'm afraid.I would describe him as a circus act lasting 5 minutes.A great,great player with no legs is a sad sight.He was idolised by many fans but did little for the team couldn't be relied on got the manager sacked and wasn't a patch on Ally McLeod.