hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Best non Hibs team you've ever seen

On telly, it has to be Brazil in 1970, although Spain have run them close in the last few years. In the flesh it would have to be the Lisbon Lions, or Juventus when we played them in '74.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... or Juventus when we played them in '74.
    2nd half certainly, Hibs gave them a good game though.

Argentina 1979 at Hampden.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The current Barcelona team for me, ive never seen a team dominate games as much as they do. The way they work so hard when they don't have the ball should be a lesson to all teams.

Brazil 82. Zico, Eder, Socrates etc. Pure cavalier football.

For me the best team in my lifetime without doubt is this Spain one. Barca a year or 2 ago were by far the best club side.

In terms of teams that I have seen in the flesh, probably Liverpool when Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Alonso etc were at their best in 2007.

EDIT: Nope talking rubbish! Saw Barca v Hibs in the friendly so they are the best i've seen.

First Team Regular
    The barca team of a few seasons ago for me too, under pep.

Had the pleasure of going to Barcelona to watch them.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    2nd half certainly, Hibs gave them a good game though.

Argentina 1979 at Hampden.
    Maradona debut

The Dutch side at the '74 World Cup were something special and, given the name, I really should stick up for them. There's a lot in there of what made the Brazil side of 1970 so good in that they're all footballer players regardless of position although it's obviously a lot more systematised rather than an expression of joyous instinctive indvidualism.

There's a book called Brilliant Orange by a bloke called David Winner that deals with total football but in the context of Dutch culture and the Dutch psyche - it's a cracking read.

For teams in my football attending life time i've missed a lot of the great ones sadly :(

Always wished I'd seen Cantona play but he one guy I did see where my opinion of them went up massively after seeing him in the flesh was Gianfranco Zola.

Sat in the Kop with a mate who's a Liverpool fan but it was Zola who really stood out.
    His control was unbelievable - didn't seem to matter how fast or where the ball was played to him he just stuck out a leg and it was glued to it.

Seemed like a good bloke too.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    The Hearts team that won the Champions league which started their world domination.......oh wait a minute!!

Back to reality it has to be Barca

The Man Utd teams of the last 20years.!!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Barca. To think folk were raging because they pumped us as well :

Sure they stuck 6 past Real Madrid that season as well!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

If we're talking about teams I've seen 'in the flesh', it would have to be the current Bayern team. They just ripped apart the so-called Spanish Giants and would give many of the great teams of the past a run for their money.

However, if you include watching on TV, in pure footballing terms I'd also go with Brazil in '82. I realise they didn't win but they were a REAL flair team, unlike the actual winners Italy (catenaccio, yuck!).

The Ajax team of the 70's or the AC Milan team of the late 80's/early 90's. Gullit and van Basten era.

First Team Breakthrough tbfhibs's Avatar
    There was a team from Dundee in the mid eighties who just for one game where fantastic.

Left by mutual consent!
    On the telly - the Barca team of 4 or 5 years ago or maybe the AC Milan side of the early to mid 90s.

In the flesh - the Barca team of 4 or 5 years ago. Admittedly it was v us in the friendly at Murrayfield and the gulf was always gonna be huge, in what was basically a game played at training pace where you felt they weren't really going for it so hard to judge them on that but some of the skills and the goals were top drawer.

Thought AEK Athens could turn on the style pretty well in extra time when they played us at ER and they were quite decent in Greece too. When they played Hearts at Murrayfield a few years later they were outstanding and Hearts couldn't get the ball off them. It was unbelievable that shower were 1-0 up on them with only minutes to go given how one sided the game had been. Class shone through in the end though.

Not old enough to have seen some of the great European sides that graced Easter Road in the 50s, 60s and 70s but some of them sound like they were good teams. Hibs seem to have done reasonably well against some big names in those decades too.

In the flesh internationally, went to the friendly between Scotland and France when France were wolrd champions. Can't remember the score or much about the game but that France team were outstanding even if they didn't leave a huge impression on me that night.

International teams on the telly - West Germany in the late 80s/early 90s. Holland around this time too and the current Spain side.
    Last edited by The Sea-gull; 17-06-2013 at 08:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    On the telly - the Barca team of 4 or 5 years ago or maybe the AC Milan side of the early to mid 90s.

In the flesh - the Barca team of 4 or 5 years ago. Admittedly it was v us in the friendly at Murrayfield and the gulf was always gonna be huge, in what was basically a game played at training pace where you felt they weren't really going for it so hard to judge them on that but some of the skills and the goals were top drawer.

Thought AEK Athens could turn on the style pretty well in extra time when they played us at ER and they were quite decent in Greece too. When they played Hearts at Murrayfield a few years later they were outstanding and Hearts couldn't get the ball off them. It was unbelievable that shower were 1-0 up on them with only minutes to go given how one sided the game had been. Class shone through in the end though.

Not old enough to have seen some of the great European sides that graced Easter Road in the 50s, 60s and 70s but some of them sound like they were good teams. Hibs seem to have done reasonably well against some big names in those decades too.

In the flesh internationally, went to the friendly between Scotland and France when France were wolrd champions. Can't remember the score or much about the game but that France team were outstanding even if they didn't leave a huge impression on me that night.

International teams on the telly - West Germany in the late 80s/early 90s. Holland around this time too and the current Spain side.
    I think it was 2 nil France that night. I was at that game as well, brilliant to see the world champions play. The only downside was Zidane didn't play that night.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been very fortunate over the years to have seen some great football "in the flesh"......

Leaving out of the equation that my uncle was a hun () he took me to Ipox on some Wednesday nights back in the early 70's.....
    So I've seen the Bayern Munich of that time (almost the whole West German squad that won the world cup), and Moscow Dynamo with Lev Yashin

Saw Dinamo Tiblisi take West Ham apart 4-1 in the Cup Winners Cup at the Boleyn where 30,000 Hammers applauded them off the field

Let's not forget the Hibs team that played in the greatest game in history..... I was there with my Dad as a 12 year old, and looking back now they played some wonderful football....

On TV, IMHO nobody compares to the 1970 Brazil side.... Magic and sheer class

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    On telly, it has to be Brazil in 1970, although Spain have run them close in the last few years. In the flesh it would have to be the Lisbon Lions, or Juventus when we played them in '74.

Got to agree with BRAZIL team at world cup Mexico 1970.....Fantastic throught whole competition. On TV

But best actually seen has to be BARCA, followed by MAN U.

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbfhibs View Post
    There was a team from Dundee in the mid eighties who just for one game where fantastic.
    Can't quite remember, what happened, who scored again??????

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post

Was that the one circa 2000? Ended 2-0 to France when they paraded the trophy in a limo... Beat Scotland 2-0 on the night and I was on the pitch at half time... Still the best experience of my life.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    In the flesh, Barcelona. On TV, I can't decide between 1970 Brazil or the Real Madrid team who won five European Cups on the trot in the 1950's. In a way those three teams cover three generations, and they each were totally outstanding in their time. (By the time Real came to play us at ER they were well past their best. Still very, very good, but past their best.)

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    On the telly ITALY
    In the flesh
    Rab Douglas
    rab shannon tam mckinlay glennie smith
    jim duufy john brown harvey vince mennie
    rab connor hendry

KIDD (2) and mcCormack
    and Kidd hadn't scored at all that season.

Best away team at ER was Juventus 1974.
    Altifini unbelievable that night. Mid 30s overweight and balding. And that was against a very good Hibs team although it was a terrible week losing twice to Celtic as well.
    To be fair, Celtic late 60s and early 70s were decent as well

Hands down has to be the Spanish team. Maybe not the current one but the one from 2-4 years ago. Sounds daft given it's mostly the same team . Barcelona when they hit top form are great but I don't like them so their out. The Real team from around about 2000 were a cracking team and deserve a mention. The Valencia team from around the time deserve a mention too. Their midfield was ducking awesome for a while .
    The 1994 AC Milan team were amazing in the CL final but I only saw them on the telly.

First Team Breakthrough
    On telly it is the Galaticos of 2003/04 ish when they had the likes of Roberto Carlos, Sergio Ramos, Zidane, Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo and Raul. Frightening how much talent is there. In the flesh it would be Juventus, but can't decide which juventus team, either the one in the late 90s or the one in the mid 2000s

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Best away team at ER was Juventus 1974.
    Altifini unbelievable that night. Mid 30s overweight and balding. And that was against a very good Hibs team although it was a terrible week losing twice to Celtic as well.
    To be fair, Celtic late 60s and early 70s were decent as well
    Was at that game too and Juve were fantastic, best away team I've seen at E.R.

In the flesh Barca (last season and the season before) on TV you dont appreciate just how quick the players are and just the movement and skill they have.

First Team Breakthrough TomoHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tamsen94
    Arsenal team in the 2003/2004 season

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Bayern Munich a few months ago in Frankfurt. Tremendous Football from them
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16