hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar

Duff jimmy - what went wrong?

I was thinking back to that fateful season Duff Jimmy was in charge, and seem to recall a flying start which included beating Celtic on the first day, scoring 4 or 5 on a regular basis and two goals scored from the half way line. So what happened to the team that started the season?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    He signed some garbage

He got sussed out and had no plan b as well as to many shan players. It went badly wrong after the Huns 3-4 game at Easter Road. A cracking game that mind.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    The first quarter of the season was superb. Chico was running the show and being touted for Scotland. Then he ran out of legs and couldn't carry the 1st division dross any longer.

Lee Power & Paul Tosh. End of discussion!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lee Power & Paul Tosh. End of discussion!!!!!!
    Jimmy Boco added to that. To much dross man

Im sure that was the season we signed Rab Shannon, only played a handful of games and then was injured for the rest of his stay.

Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    Exactly some real stinkers! Guys who I wouldn't play in my 7's team and I'm not joking.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    It all started to go wrong the moment the chopper touched down.

Crazy as it sounds the draw at Tynecastle in the New Year game probably sent us down. Coming back from 2 nil down meant we persevered with Duffy a bit longer before getting McLeish in.
    We should've won the 4-3 game against the huns, but it's always hard ta beat a 12 man Rangers team! Is my memory wrong or did Dods not hit the bar in the last few minutes that would have made it 4-4?

Duffy had done nothing - he was mid table in the first division with Dundee when he came. I think he had a lot of friends in the media who talked him up and unfortunately we fell for the hype. And there was no substance, even our great run consisted of just three wins and yet another derby defeat.

We lost Jim Leighton at the end of the previous season which was a huge blow. He was worth 12-15 points a season to us.

The fact we replaced him with Gottskalkson who cost us points just added to the loss.

@hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purple & green View Post
    ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post
    I was thinking back to that fateful season Duff Jimmy was in charge, and seem to recall a flying start which included beating Celtic on the first day, scoring 4 or 5 on a regular basis and two goals scored from the half way line. So what happened to the team that started the season?

He tried to play the "Hibs Way" way too early and with players not fit/young enough to bring the mobility required to install those tactics. It's OK when the pitches are nice fresh and other teams are taken aback at how open the play is The "Hibs Way" requires using the whole pitch and playing high up it, which means you need defenders with pace to cover and full backs who spend a lot of time in attack.

You also need someone right in the middle of the park who everyone is scared of, Stanton/Turnbull/Franck (and to an extent, Scott Brown).

Once the pitches got heavy Duffy didn't have the tactics to grind games out and his players didn't have the legs to see them through that period. They also lost a lot of confidence after that Rangers game, which some Rangers players said later was one of their toughest matches.

DuffY knew what the fans wanted but as Eddie Turnbull told John Hughes "it's no good carrying an umbrella if you're wellingtons leak". In other words be prepared and equipped in defence before you start getting ostentatious further up the park.

I enjoyed seeing Chick Charnley in a Hibs strip though. The goal from the half-way line and Larsson laying on his winner against Celtic were priceless. I remember him selling a dummy in one game and he just seemed to waggle his head at the defender and the guy fell right on his erse - about two minutes later he did exactly the same move and the defender went down again. Even his team mates were laughing.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jockey Scott was as much to blame. We signed some ****in morons for a lot of money well passed their sell by date. Rab Shannon, Davie Elliott, Jamie McQuilken, Brian Grant, utter carnage

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Jockey Scott was as much to blame. We signed some ****in morons for a lot of money well passed their sell by date. Rab Shannon, Davie Elliott, Jamie McQuilken, Brian Grant, utter carnage
    Ian Cameron.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Duffy signed Elliott and McQuilken - £200,000 for the pair....

If only Andy walker hadn't scored that ******g equaliser at tynie he would have been gone 3-4 weeks earlier and we might have stayed up.

Brebs looked like some player when we first signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNZ View Post
    Crazy as it sounds the draw at Tynecastle in the New Year game probably sent us down. Coming back from 2 nil down meant we persevered with Duffy a bit longer before getting McLeish in.
    We should've won the 4-3 game against the huns, but it's always hard ta beat a 12 man Rangers team! Is my memory wrong or did Dods not hit the bar in the last few minutes that would have made it 4-4?
    Your memory is spot on mate, he did hit the bar late on.

What I heard was all the players he signed for Hibs was mainly through one agent

Some big backhanders apparently

First Team Breakthrough HibeeHendo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    Leave Jimmy alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-1875 View Post
    Leave Jimmy alone!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2...an_F.C._season

Interesting reading here.

On paper we didn't look TOO bad in some areas...Andy Walker, Stevie Crawford and Kenny Miller up front. Just a pity Walker was too old, Miller was too young, and Crawford was pish!

Obviously too many defeats, but 12 draws also killed us. If we'd turned just 2 of those into wins, we'd have stayed up.

Alas, going down proved to be good for us in the end. It was basically the end of the mediocre Miller era, and we came back stronger for it IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfHId42b8Y

Watch this and weep, it's the full video that we released at the start of that season. Haven't watched it in years but will do now. I am sure it's even got Eddie Turnbull comparing that 97 team to Turnbull's Tornadoes

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_NYC View Post

For me it was the rangers game, I think we were 3-1 up at one point then Gazza ran us ragged and we got beat 3-4, after that we didn't seem to recover.

Who in ****s name signed Joe McLaughlin??? A 39yr old from Falkirk if I remember correctly from teletext!!!

This threads like a wee ray of sunshine... it's reminding me how low it can actually get watchin Hibs!

onwards and upwards...

Quote Originally Posted by s2hart View Post
    For me it was the rangers game, I think we were 3-1 up at one point then Gazza ran us ragged and we got beat 3-4, after that we didn't seem to recover.
    Charlie Miller was getting real abuse from the east and bottled it big time. They subbed him and put Stuart Mcall deep in midfield and moved Gazza forward. That changed the game, Gazza and Albertz scored unsaveable goals. Great game if a bad result

Went to my first and second second real games that season, the 1-0 away loss to St Johnstone then the 2-1 home loss to Dundee Utd. If I remember correctly the Dundee Utd game officially sent us down, my first ever visit to Easter Road and two days before my 8th birthday!

It was all my fault.