hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Let's cut to the chase.... (ticket prices debate)

Just been talking to some mates, who go, go now and then, have stopped going, haven't gone for years. The consensus was - forget seasons - that £15 and £5 for kids would be right. Is it right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just been talking to some mates, who go, go now and then, have stopped going, haven't gone for years. The consensus was - forget seasons - that £15 and £5 for kids would be right. Is it right.
    Very possibly if they want to watch Dunfermline v Alloa.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    We just don't have the TV revenue of major countries to be able to lower ticket prices that much, and also, it's been shown in the past that reducing ticket prices doesn't really improve the crowd that much.

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting things right on the pitch

First Team Breakthrough
    Well, I've got to say, purely from my own point of view, that if it was £15, perhaps £20 for category A, it would encourage me to go. How is a guy with two kids realistically going to shell out the best part of £50 on a match v Dundee, or St Johnstone. Isn't going to happen.
    Last edited by Miguel; 31-05-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    We just don't have the TV revenue of major countries to be able to lower ticket prices that much, and also, it's been shown in the past that reducing ticket prices doesn't really improve the crowd that much.

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting things right on the pitch
    The fact that we don't get the tv revenue of other countries is exactly the reason why the/all club/s should be trying to increase attendances.

I don't believe it's ever been shown that reduced prices doesn't help. As I said on another thread yesterday one off games at reduced prices isn't going to break people's habits. It's these habits that need to be broken and replaced with the new one of going to the football every other week. To have any chance of doing this any initiative would need to be attempted for a far longer period of time. Unfortunately as was also pointed out on the same thread, clubs can't really afford to take the hit in the short term while waiting for attendances to rise.

The last part is partly correct. I would change the wording slightly at the start though to 'the most effective way'. Just my opinion of course. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and mate got student season tickets for £120, around a fiver game. Nice seats where we wanted them in the East in the singing section. I'm certainly not going to complain about prices.

Left by mutual consent!
    In an ideal world but that it isnae. Even charging what we do we cannae compete with the silly tv money and wages in the leagues next door. Before live tv came along and IMO spoiled the game with their silly money (and stupid ****in' ko times) yes but as it is now can you imagine what sort of players we'd be getting with less money than we have now.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 31-05-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    Me and mate got student season tickets for £120, around a fiver game. Nice seats where we wanted them in the East in the singing section. I'm certainly not going to complain about prices.
    Bloody students we could maybe put the prices down a wee bit for everybody if students didnae get everything so bloody cheap.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 31-05-2013 at 11:44 PM.

First Team Breakthrough

Couldn't agree more with the original post, and responses like the above are, frankly, bonkers.

The whole issue for Hibs and football generally is about continuation of a fan base, and when it's unaffordable to take kids regularly, you have a problem.

I took a (non-football-fan) friend of mine from Dundee to a Utd - Hibs game at Tannadice (or Tanna-dee-chey, in the words of ITN, famously, years ago). He was presuming it would be £15-£20 maximum for him and his young (6 or 7 years of age) son. It was about £43 for the two. He was astonished and said clearly that although his son loved it (god knows why - it was awful: 1-0 Utd, late penalty, utter sh*t), he simply couldn't afford to take his son more than once or twice a season at that cost.

Check the stats: about one in five people in Dundee at the time were in receipt of, or dependent on, low income related benefits. Then wonder why attendances are so low when it costs £43 for a father and a son to watch a **** game of football. And this was a couple of years ago - it will be worse now.

And the same applies everywhere else in Scotland. Yes, there are complicated finances, and yes, lots of people pay monthly thru season tickets etc., but there is a whole potential audience out there put off by the exorbitant cost.

It wasn't always this way. The cost has increased ludicrously in the last 20 years ago, and ignoring this in the discussion of attendances is simply silly.

So there.
    Last edited by davidw; 31-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the original post, and responses like the above are, frankly, bonkers.

The whole issue for Hibs and football generally is about continuation of a fan base, and when it's unaffordable to take kids regularly, you have a problem.

I took a (non-football-fan) friend of mine from Dundee to a Utd - Hibs game at Tannadice (or Tanna-dee-chey, in the words of ITN, famously, years ago). He was presuming it would be £15-£20 maximum for him and his young (6 or 7 years of age) son. It was about £43 for the two. He was astonished and said clearly that although his son loved it (god knows why - it was awful: 1-0 Utd, late penalty, utter sh*t), he simply couldn't afford to take his son more than once or twice a season at that cost.

Check the stats: about one in five people in Dundee at the time were in receipt of, or dependent on, low income related benefits. Then wonder why attendances are so low when it costs £43 for a father and a son to watch a **** game of football. And this was a couple of years ago - it will be worse now.

And the same applies everywhere else in Scotland. Yes, there are complicated finances, and yes, lots of people pay monthly thru season tickets etc., but there is a whole potential audience out there put off by the exorbitant cost.

It wasn't always this way. The cost has increased ludicrously in the last 20 year's ago, and ignoring this in the discussion if attendances is simply silly.

So there.

Last edited by Saorsa; 31-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.

The only real way of increasing our attendances is getting wthings right on the pitch

The chairman's answer.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    £15 and £5 would encourage a lot more fans from outside Edinburgh to go I'm sure. It certainly would get me going to more games. A day at the football costs me £60-70, not affordable

First Team Regular West hamBERNIAN's Avatar
    Truth is, if your happy to pay to go to the cinema and pay, what £10 a ticket for a recorded replay captured on film then you should be able to find an extra £10 to watch a live sport. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch price wise. First game I went to down here two years ago was against spurs, one nil win header from a corner. Paid £80 for a ticket in the gods but ill never forget that game. That's the difference really, things that happen in football never leave you. I'll always have memories of watching the hibs with my dad and even my grandad. Priceless. Anyway, water now!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post

The chairman's answer.
    Isn't it the answer? I seem tae remember prices went up when Mowbray was manager, it didnae stop the crowds going up with them. People paid the price because it was worth watching. I'd like tae pay what I was paying 20 odd years ago but it aint going tae happen.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 01-06-2013 at 12:12 AM.

First Team Regular West hamBERNIAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post

Get what your saying but isn't there concessions for unemployed etc? Maybe that's irrelevant when that hardly covers the bills etc but I think the majority of ppl that work can afford it, I spent more on pizza deliveries after all. Possibly controversial

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Isn't the payment plan that Hibs offered something which helps with this? Smaller payments spread out? Just wondering.

A kids ST works out at IIRC £10 a month.

How much cheaper do people expect to pay?

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    BTW, here are season ticket prices for Plymouth (League Two, which believe me is absolute garbage)

http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/t...at-845219.aspx

2013-214 MEMBERSHIP PRICES
    ADULT £349

CONCESSIONS
    Over 65 £259
    Under 18 £69

FAMILY TICKET £384
    (1 Adult & 1 Under 18, Family Zone For All Only)
    ADDITIONAL CHILD £30
    (Under 18, Family For All Zone Only)

Student £259
    Under 21 £259
    Disabled £259
    Serving Armed Forces £259
    I guess that works out a bit cheaper per game for adults (4 more league games) but it is a lot more expensive for OAPs, which Hibs are actually good at compared to most.

The answer to everything is to reduce prices. And pay players whatever they want. It's all very simple really. The club had to support us. Er.............
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    A kids ST works out at IIRC £10 a month.

How much cheaper do people expect to pay?
    Actually it's a lot cheaper than that, £85 for either 18/19 home games is around £4.50 a game

@hibs.net private member
    Football is over priced. Fans will turn out and make the effort for the big games but clearly TV, Kick off times and cost has an effect. I pay £405 for my ST and its affordable to me but reality is that Scottish football needs revamped. I would go for summer football to stop competing against the English leagues or go for a British league. If we tried to start again players earnings would drop to a more sensible level and fans would not have to pay so much. We need to do more to bring fans in through the gate. Best atmosphere this year was Killie away in the cup and our two Hampden trips. All 3 had ticketing deals and were big games but more fans went so it was a better atmosphere and more enjoyable day.

Reduce the prices and tell the TV companies to do one!

Get the kick-offs to 1500hours on a Saturday and reduce the price to £20 for adult and a £5 for kids... if the adult brings another child along they get in for free (some adults have two bairns in tow. The prices should be universal.

Introduce limited alcohol and place(s) for smokers to go to. Get more attractive security staff to look at - just in case the football is dire.

But the real problem with Scottish Football is the product. Starting with the set-up, come-on, three associations running the football, along with the greedy owners of clubs ruining the game. Until you get rid off these guys at the top the game will continue to die both on and off the pitch - no matter what they do to entice fans along.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by West hamBERNIAN View Post
    Truth is, if your happy to pay to go to the cinema and pay, what £10 a ticket for a recorded replay captured on film then you should be able to find an extra £10 to watch a live sport. Maybe I'm a bit out of touch price wise. First game I went to down here two years ago was against spurs, one nil win header from a corner. Paid £80 for a ticket in the gods but ill never forget that game. That's the difference really, things that happen in football never leave you. I'll always have memories of watching the hibs with my dad and even my grandad. Priceless. Anyway, water now!
    And where can I get in to a HIbs game for £20?

Also you can get a pass for the cinema that costs £15 a month and you can go and see as many movies as you like.

I live in Glasgow which isn't far away, but a Season ticket has no value now, too many games are moved to week nights like friday/monday that I can't get through for, so miss two games and the season ticket isn't worth the money.

If i want to go to one game, the ticket is £25 on average then it costs about £10 worth of petrol. I also have lots of great memories of seeing Hibs but I have lots of memories of paying about £35 to come through midweek and watch us get pumped 3-0 by St Johnstone.

Now that there are so many west coast teams, Killie, Celtc, Partick, ST Mirren, Murderwell, it makes more sense for me to attend away games.

I still think the prices are shocking though, the value for money is not there, relative to the standard of football on show in the SPL £25 is not good value for money.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Isn't the payment plan that Hibs offered something which helps with this? Smaller payments spread out? Just wondering.
    The payment plan is nice and makes it more affordable but if you miss one or two games it's already more expensive than just paying at the gate to the games you can make.

Also the payment plan should exist permanently and not be an early adopters incentive, I know once the season draws closer i'd be tempted to fork out £35 a month or so for a season ticket, but when the only option left is £400 up front there is no chance i'll be buying that.

£15 and £5 i'd most likely take me wee lad along every other saturday. But it's not, so i can't. Way too expensive now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    And where can I get in to a HIbs game for £20?

Also you can get a pass for the cinema that costs £15 a month and you can go and see as many movies as you like.

I live in Glasgow which isn't far away, but a Season ticket has no value now, too many games are moved to week nights like friday/monday that I can't get through for, so miss two games and the season ticket isn't worth the money.

If i want to go to one game, the ticket is £25 on average then it costs about £10 worth of petrol. I also have lots of great memories of seeing Hibs but I have lots of memories of paying about £35 to come through midweek and watch us get pumped 3-0 by St Johnstone.

Now that there are so many west coast teams, Killie, Celtc, Partick, ST Mirren, Murderwell, it makes more sense for me to attend away games.

I still think the prices are shocking though, the value for money is not there, relative to the standard of football on show in the SPL £25 is not good value for money.
    And do you think it'll get any better with less money coming in?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    And do you think it'll get any better with less money coming in?
    I'm not offering a solution, I am just stating a fact that the standard of entertainment on offer in the SPL is not worth £25. For someone that has supported a club all of their life, it's do able but if you want to entice Joe Public in as a new fan, it's not going to happen.

People have less money now than they did 3 or 4 years ago, the prices of everything are going up while peoples wages are frozen or they are losing jobs completely.

My weekly shop is £15 more expensive than it was 4 years ago and my wages are frozen still, so that £60 a month has a direct effect on how many football matches I can attend.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who want to pay lower prices also want the club to sign Griffiths and Claros. And probably Thomson too.

Reducing prices will result in even lower quality on the park and that in turn will drive attendances down.

Don't blame Hibs, blame Sky TV.

We are being ripped off. Things we need most housing rent has gone sky high. Electric gas seems to go up by 15 percent every year and we have to pay because we cant do without it. Also petrol has doubled over the last 6 years, and wages havent increased. If they squeeze us anymore we'll be in the third world.these big corporations are costing us jobs as well. The worlds gone wonky. Footballs in bad shape. Rant over.

I agree that prices are too high. The club sets single match prices to compare with st prices. St prices have to be what they are or the club has no money up front and then match tickets have to be adjusted to make a st value for money. The spl is suffering from having the English leagues next door with their vastly inflated wages that we are trying to keep up with