hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hibs sign Owain Tudur Jones (2 year deal confirmed)

In todays news ....looking at tudor jones from caley....any good?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not for me. No thanks.

@hibs.net private member
    Not really the type of player we need

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Lot of attacking players getting credit for caley but they couldn't do that without a good defensive midfielder so I think he must have something about him.

Another defensive midfielder though has me a bit concerned, I'm hoping now we don't keep claros or Thomson (and obviously deegan). Having otd, taiwo,stevenson and Robertson that can play that position is too many for a club working with our budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lot of attacking players getting credit for caley but they couldn't do that without a good defensive midfielder so I think he must have something about him.

Another defensive midfielder though has me a bit concerned, I'm hoping now we don't keep claros or Thomson (and obviously deegan). Having otd, taiwo,stevenson and Robertson that can play that position is too many for a club working with our budget.

If he signs it's a clear indication that neither Claros or Thomson will be staying and I know who I'd prefer. No thanks.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    The one point the EEN article makes about him that is different to Hibs midfielders this season is that he is 6' 3 tall. If Williams (who is really a line goalkeeper) is going to continue as #1 then they really need more height in the midfield and forward areas.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I dont think Thomson will stay. Think we'll struggle with Claros too.

A midfield of: Taiwo OTJ Craig, Looks pretty decent.

First Team Breakthrough Devilstorment's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Devilstorment PSN ID: Devilstorment

I would take Claros personally.... any and everyday

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    He has a pretty poor disciplinary record I believe? Did he not stick the nut on a player this season and go in very late on another? Has at least two red cards this season, our entire team this season picked up one.

@hibs.net private member
    He was was and shoulders their best player at the last game at Easter Road ...would be more than happy to have him here

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilstorment View Post

I would take Claros personally.... any and everyday
    I'm not saying I'd rather have otd than claros, I'm saying I don't think there's room for both of them and if otd has signed then that unfortunately will need to bring an end to claros spell with the club.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt & Sauzee View Post
    He has a pretty poor disciplinary record I believe? Did he not stick the nut on a player this season and go in very late on another? Has at least two red cards this season, our entire team this season picked up one.
    Sent off twice and booked 3 times last season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I think he would do a job for Hibs, a big player in the middle of the park who can do the simple thing and scored a few goals this season would strengthen our team IMO.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He was was and shoulders their best player at the last game at Easter Road ...would be more than happy to have him here

Gamer IDs

I'm not saying I'd rather have otd than claros, I'm saying I don't think there's room for both of them and if otd has signed then that unfortunately will need to bring an end to claros spell with the club.

unfortunately you are probably right. I would happily see us offload KT and Deegan (and Robertson) though to balance the books and keep Claros

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think he would do a job for Hibs, a big player in the middle of the park who can do the simple thing and scored a few goals this season would strengthen our team IMO.
    I can see a midfield with options from Taiwo, Robertson, OTJ and Craig being able to win battles and play football, depending on what's necessary.

Plenty people have complained about us not matching teams like ICT and St. Johnstone's ability to find good players on a small budget - surely signings such as OTJ and Craig are to be welcomed, as (on paper) they strengthen us and weaken opposition who finished higher than us in the top 4 of the SPL.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I can see a midfield with options from Taiwo, Robertson, OTJ and Craig being able to win battles and play football, depending on what's necessary.

Plenty people have complained about us not matching teams like ICT and St. Johnstone's ability to find good players on a small budget - surely signings such as OTJ and Craig are to be welcomed, as (on paper) they strengthen us and weaken opposition who finished higher than us in the top 4 of the SPL.
    Completely agree make us stronger and them weaker makes sense.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

I also like the apparent speed of our singings this time around, as if we've had this planned and are getting our top targets. Craig, OTJ and McGivern seemingly in the door and terms apparently offered to four other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I also like the apparent speed of our singings this time around, as if we've had this planned and are getting our top targets. Craig, OTJ and McGivern seemingly in the door and terms apparently offered to four other players.
    Yes, good to get business done early (with the right players) with a shorter summer break this year. I thought the second half of McGivern's loan spell was disappointing in comparison to the first, but his pedigree, age (23), international experience, height, and ability to play LB and CB will make him a good addition. Could make us some money is he plays to his full potential too.

Good to know that other deals are on the table too.

OTJ has already signed. Everyone will be signed up prior to pre-season training.

Gamer IDs

unfortunately you are probably right. I would happily see us offload KT and Deegan (and Robertson) though to balance the books and keep Claros

Quote Originally Posted by Devilstorment View Post
    Id rather we kept Claros, KT and got OTJ, we will be losing a number of players from the current squad and we all know its a long season (Europe) especially with injuries and suspensions. We need to start getting that bit more strength in depth and we cant afford to let guys of the quality of Claros and KT slip through our fingers just cause we have another 2 or 3 options in similar positions. Prior to them signing I would have preferred both of them to Craig, Robertson and OTJ.

Necessary signing. I don't think fourteen defensive midfielders is excessive.

When does the window open? Is it 1st June?

Very highly rated by ict fan at work. And they did finish above us :p

I had the same thought. It makes sense if we're to continue to improve and catch up with the opposition. Though the thought does make me feel dirty, like I'm an old firm supporter.

Coaching Staff
    Central midfielders to me are midfielders, not categorised to defensive or offensive. Could we do with one that's 6'3"? Yes, with the type of teams that we struggle against this is a useful asset to have. He can play a bit and is an international.

Let's not forget he's comfortable in the Highlands - some results up there could be the key to a much higher finish.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    When does the window open? Is it 1st June?
    I am almost certain that it starts on 1 July 2013 (it is for international transfers) although transfers between clubs in the same association can take place as soon as the last competitive fixtures for the season have been played. However, many transfers will not be completed until 1 July because many players' contracts expire on 30 June.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Central midfielders to me are midfielders, not categorised to defensive or offensive. Could we do with one that's 6'3"? Yes, with the type of teams that we struggle against this is a useful asset to have. He can play a bit and is an international.

Let's not forget he's comfortable in the Highlands - some results up there could be the key to a much higher finish.
    there is definately defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders. We have defensive ones, the hold the position and never get ahead of the forwards. IMO we need attacking midfielders to support the forwards more and get ahead of them when needs be. In saying that we need a system and a back 4 that can cope with having attacking midfielders. If the back 4 need a lot of protection then defensive midfielders are a must.

On OTJI think he would be a good addition purely because of his height, we really struggle to win goals kicks etc and that little bit of added height would be great in this area and at corners both defending and attacking.

I know people will moan that we have too many of the same players at the moment but I think we need to be patient and wait and see what pans out. As others have said we could lose 2 of those defensive midfielders.