hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Referee: Willie Collum's performance on Sunday. (Good - Bad or Just plain awful)

Though Willie Collum's performance was woeful on Sunday.

Never gave Hibs a decision of worth all day much the same as Craig Thomson's performance in last years final.

No saying if we had the best ref in the world on Sunday the result would of been any different but all we ask for is honesty and consistency.

IMO it was verging on as bad a performance as Thomson's last year.

I'm not suggesting there is a conspiracy theory or hidden agenda only asking the question on his performance
    Last edited by Scottie; 28-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I must admit I was not amused when I read that one of the linesmen was none other than our "old friend" Mr Willie Conker who has caused us so much consternation in the past.

As for the Ref, then he was not outrageously bad but he didn't do us any favours either.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 28-05-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Not going to start with all the same conspiracy theories as last year. We were well beaten last year an this year regardless of referee performance. But you are right he was murder on Sunday. All 50/50's were given to Celtic. There were no big calls in this game but judging by his performance they would've gone celtics way if there had been.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Is there a hidden agenda against our club in the big games....?

There is NO agenda against our club!

Let's just leave that for Celtc (and Sevco).

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I thought he was a bit inconsistent at times but nowhere near as bad as Thomson last year and he had little influence on the outcome of the match.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    No hidden agenda.

Nowhere near as bad a performance from the ref as last year. The calls made on Sunday, sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't. Did it seem like everything was in Celtc favour, maybe at times. That's just the way it can be though. Last year there were decisions that a 'competent' ref shouldn't have got so spectacularly wrong.

He was ok. He didn't have to make any contentious calls. Had Griffiths gone down when through on Forster I suspect Leigh would have been booked rather than keeper off and pen to us. Ref had nothing much to do.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said was irritated by the number of soft fouls Celtic got that we didnt appear to get in similar incidents. I also think they were cuter or more cynical in making it clear to the ref that they had been fouled e.g girly screech with arms thrown out sort of thing.

We do need to be more wordly wise in general for example Brown's OTT reaction to the Claros foul showed exactly why that sort of thing should have happened much, much earlier in the game. I do think we are seen as a soft touch by officials and that we dont get decisions other teams do in general.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 28-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.

I thought he was woefull. he allowed Scotty Broon to get away with far too much. we all know, and to an extent admire Broony's "in yer face" style against an opponent but I thought the ref let too much go. can anyone ever remember Scott Brown getting booed so much, by Hibs fans/ and the chants all round of SB yer a w******.says a lot imho.

Not a conspiracy.

Just the usual piss poor standard of refereeing in this country.

Didn't really notice him. There wasn't any controversial moments in the game so any mistakes he made were minor. I have no problem with his performance.

18 fouls against us 6 against Celtic, which I thought didn't reflect what happened. I thought he was scared to give a decision against them - given Lennon dodged a touch line ban, I'm not surprised. He didn't make any shockers like last seasons final though.

Didn't cost us the game, but our discipline has been superb this year. I'm looking forward to when all these 'breaks' go for us. We have a lot of catching up to do.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    In a match of 50:50 possession he awarded Celtic 18 fouls and Hibs 6.

One of the worst decisions for me was not just his fault but one of the linesmen. Izziguere's 9 out of 10 dive in the 2nd half was embarrassing.

Yeh.I thought he was bias against us.

Left by mutual consent!
    No complaints.

Didn't think there was any controversy of note in the ref's performance.

Blog Entries
    Martin Hannan in Scotsman yesterday praised Collum & said " it would be more correct to say that Collum interpreted the laws in a way that favoured Celtic, in as much as he allowed physicality, it's a man's game & all that ". They say the winners rewrite history, looks like its already started here. Like other posters I don't think Collum was awful & I don't think he changed the result but I have no doubt that Celtc benefitted greatly from the marginal calls. I believe Celtc were awarded 8 of the first 9 free kicks & ours was just outside our own box!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I'd like to say that Collum was a fair ref ................................. but I can't cos he wasn't.

Let's be honest, his job was made easy for him by the way the game panned out. He had no tricky decisions to give before they went 1-0 and 2-0 up and by that time the outcome was decided. The true test of any ref is when Hibs score first or the game is especially tight. Then it becomes a test of the refs ability to find ways of chalking off any Hibs goal, stifling any momentum that Hibs might look like building or looking for opportunities to give Celtic an advantage.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Many baffling decisions given in favour of Celtic. These became even more apparent when similar tackles were not penalised when committed by Celtic and Collum waved play on. He was honking but it didn't really influence the game as such. It was one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen this season along with John Beaton against Ross County at Easter Road and Stevie O'Reilly against Motherwell at Fir Park (4-0 to us).

@hibs.net private member
    No major errors ...some minor ones -...

First Team Breakthrough
    Every 50/50 went in favour of Celtic but did you expect anything else? When you play the OF you get nothing from the referees. Never have, never will.

You would think referees would try to appear neutral when the eyes of the nation are upon them but they just can't bring themselves to do it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought he was brutal. Every 50/50 went their way.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Every 50/50 went their way and in addition to that he gave a free kick everytime we put in a decent tackle and looked like breaking. Ruined our chances of getting a quick counter attack which is what we needed. It helped take Harris out the game .

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Totally intimidated and a piss poor peformance.

Petrified of upsetting Neil Lennon.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I thought that he was decent. No real complaints from me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought that he was decent. No real complaints from me.
    Agreed. I think we gave away too many silly fouls more than anything else.

@hibs.net private member JoeTortolanoFanClub's Avatar
    He was okay. Seen worse. But then again the SPL benchmark is pretty low.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Celtic pressurise the referee and reap the benefits. The problem is, we can't stop them. The answer? Do it ourselves.