hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC

Best Bank/Cash Card for Abroad

I'm heading to Berlin and Copenhagen in a couple of weeks and don't really fancy getting wads of cash exchanged to last me the trip. So, knowing that us Hibees are a well travelled bunch, I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good banks to go with that don't charge a fee per transaction abroad and also gives a fair exchange rate. From a quick look at moneysavingexpert it seems like credit cards are the best option but I'd really rather not. A current account with benefits abroad would be perfect but I wouldn't rule out some kind of prepaid card either.

Cheers!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm heading to Berlin and Copenhagen in a couple of weeks and don't really fancy getting wads of cash exchanged to last me the trip. So, knowing that us Hibees are a well travelled bunch, I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good banks to go with that don't charge a fee per transaction abroad and also gives a fair exchange rate. From a quick look at moneysavingexpert it seems like credit cards are the best option but I'd really rather not. A current account with benefits abroad would be perfect but I wouldn't rule out some kind of prepaid card either.

Cheers!
    Any particular reason you don't fancy the CC option?
    The credit card route offers better protection if something was to go wrong abroad.
    Moneysavingexpert, the guides and forums will offer the best advice, that's where I got the tip a good few years ago to go for the Santander Zero credit card. I can use it for cash advances and there is no charge for either using ATM's abroad(transaction charge) and there is no loading on the exchange rate, you get whatever the market rate is for that day. With the ease of online banking I can pay my balance off each day thus not incurring any interest charges for the cash being borrowed. If I don't think I will be able to get online, I can preload my account before I leave, it's frowned upon by the banks but I've done it for years and never had a problem.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Just one of those preconceptions to be wary of and avoid getting a credit card if at all possible, but your advice does make sense. I'll have a look into that one and also the Halifax Clarity which seems to be recommended.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Will my bank of Scotland classic account be ok abroad?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I have a BOS classic current account as my main day-to-day account, it is not the best account to use abroad. Taking out €100 from an ATM in mainland Spain with my BOS debit card costs around £93 by the time you take into consideration all the various charges and poor €/£ rate. €100 using my Santander credit card, and paying the balance off immediately is around £85.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I use prepaid cards from caxton and fairfx. The fairfx card has a better load rate but the caxton card is fee free at atms. Both can be topped up online or by text. Being in the local currency (I have euro and US $ cards) there isn't a transaction fee.
    ​#PERSEVERED

I use prepaid cards from caxton and fairfx. The fairfx card has a better load rate but the caxton card is fee free at atms. Both can be topped up online or by text. Being in the local currency (I have euro and US $ cards) there isn't a transaction fee.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    You can use it abroad but its expensive. The exchange rate you get will have a 2.95% loading on it and you'll be charged 1.5% (Min £2.00 max £4.50) on cash withdrawals and £1 per purchase over and above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    I've used the Caxton Card before and was impressed.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Norwich and Peterborough do a good current account if you don't want to go down the credit card route.

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-accou...rrent-account/

No major catches but you'll have to use it to one extent or another.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    I have the fairfx card for when I travel Europe next month. Glad that it got a mention on this thread by someone.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I have a BOS classic current account as my main day-to-day account, it is not the best account to use abroad. Taking out €100 from an ATM in mainland Spain with my BOS debit card costs around £93 by the time you take into consideration all the various charges and poor €/£ rate. €100 using my Santander credit card, and paying the balance off immediately is around £85.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    You can use it abroad but its expensive. The exchange rate you get will have a 2.95% loading on it and you'll be charged 1.5% (Min £2.00 max £4.50) on cash withdrawals and £1 per purchase over and above that.
    Nice one thanks guys. Pre paid card seems to be the way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I have the fairfx card for when I travel Europe next month. Glad that it got a mention on this thread by someone.
    Likewise,i load it monthly as a way to save for a European break. take out one cash withdrawal at the beginning of a holiday and pay everything else by card

If you do take a prepaid card remember to not use it when somewhere such as a hotel when checking in or car hire firm when collecting a hire car asks for a swipe of your card as doing so would place an authorisation on the card and reduce your funds available. Better to still use a UK credit card for that.
    ​#PERSEVERED