hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McPake

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar

McPake

How dreadful does he have to be to get dropped??
    Unbelievable the amount of backing he seems to get despite constant amateurish performances...

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's been just awful.

Didn't get all the talk about him being better on Monday as I thought he was poor and today he was terrible. Bullied, slow, no composure, no positioning and no reading of the game.

He costs us goals week in week out.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    He's been awful for months now, he just doesn't look like the same person we signed a year ago.

Personally think he should be dropped, just because he's the captain doesn't mean he should automatically be given a starting place. I'd feel a lot more secure with McGivern and Hanlon in the middle with Stevenson at left back.

Leaking too many goals, whether it's all down to McPake or not I don't know. I'd go with five at at the back and use McGiven as a sweeper. Try it anyway, because we need more at Hampden to have any chance.

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    Our defence is utterly shocking. The number of weak goals conceded this season that have come straight through the centre of our defence is beyond a joke.

Wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if every defender at ER left this summer. None of them have performed consistently well this season.

Thank god we've had Ben Williams this season.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    He's been well off the mark for several months now.

I think he's struggling big time.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I'd give Clancy a shot at CH next week. Mcpake seems undroppable though.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Hanlon has never been good enough.

Blah....blah....blah.

How about we work harder to stop the ball coming into the box in the first place especially from the wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blah....blah....blah.

How about we work harder to stop the ball coming into the box in the first place especially from the wings?
    Aye great. Then we just won't have to worry about centre halfs at all.

At least 2 of their goals came from non-existant to pathetic attempts at getting out to the crosser. Stop that and you don't lose goals in the 6 yard box.

Blah....blah....blah.

Brilliant logic! Maybe we should just play 2 full backs on both sides and then we wouldn't need centre halves at all...

Dearie me.

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    Brilliant logic! Maybe we should just play 2 full backs on both sides and then we wouldn't need centre halves at all...

Dearie me.
    That bears no resemblance to what Tory Hibby actually said. He's right that the full-backs often don't do enough to stop crosses getting pumped into our box.

He's struggling with lack of confidence, but we've all seen that when at his best he's as good as any defender in the SPL.
    Fenlon struggles with basic sub decisions when we're getting hammered, so no chance that he'll drop JMcP at this stage.Can only hope he can rediscover some of his earlier form before the CF.

At least 2 of their goals came from non-existant to pathetic attempts at getting out to the crosser. Stop that and you don't lose goals in the 6 yard box.
    You can't stop balls going into the box for 90 minutes.

When an attacker is picking up speed down the wing, it's not always easy to put in a perfectly timed tackle to prevent them from getting the cross in. That's why you need secure centre backs that will sweep up anything that comes into the box.

If you don't have secure centre backs first and foremost, then you're always going to concede goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    That bears no resemblance to what Tory Hibby actually said. He's right that the full-backs often don't do enough to stop crosses getting pumped into our box.
    There is not a team in the world that stops crosses coming into the box for a full game - centre halves are paid to deal with those crosses - ours are utterly incapable of doing so...

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    There is not a team in the world that stops crosses coming into the box for a full game - centre halves are paid to deal with those crosses - ours are utterly incapable of doing so...
    Who said that they should be stopping all crosses?

For me he has never looked a top class centre back - like the curates egg ' good in parts'
    I have always felt his ' leadership qualities ' overshadowed hi talent as footballer
    He's been really awful since the turn of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

In your opinion, I completely disagree.

McPake looks uninterested and his body language is very poor. If he can't summon the desire to drive the team on with a cup final looming then we have big problems. That said, the poster above has a point. Teale had acres of room for the first goal as Hanlon and McGivern we cauggt miles upfield. For the third, Teale skipped past a static Handling before crossing.

We need to work harder on cutting them out at source and make less individual errrors.

There were two players out to Teale I think on the right wing but he still had 3 yards of space to get ball over in between them

Then for their 3rd goal I am afraid Handling has to do better at defending. Far too easily beat.

Did McPake not put in an initial goal saving tackle on Thompson before they finally scored?

McPake at one end and Doyle at the other. That's the problem

It's his back that's the problem.

He doesn't lack any fight, desire or leadership qualities, he just can't physically produce the performance's that he could when he first came here.

It doesn't matter how hard he tries.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    McPake at one end and Doyle at the other. That's the problem
    Doyle couldn't even make a decent connection on the ball today. Missed a sitter and generally can't hold the ball up to save himself. Just quite a poor all round player.

Quote Originally Posted by andy1875 View Post
    Our defence is utterly shocking. The number of weak goals conceded this season that have come straight through the centre of our defence is beyond a joke.

Wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if every defender at ER left this summer. None of them have performed consistently well this season.

Thank god we've had Ben Williams this season.
    Obviously, the ball should've been away ling beforehand but I think Williams should've had the 2nd and 3rd. He was just as lethargic as the defence.

The crosses into the box point is a fair one.

What concerns me far more about McPake is the 20 yard charges towards balls he has no hope of winning. A forward with half a brain just uses his strength and lays the ball back and suddenly we have a gaping hole in the middle of our defence whilst captain slow labours back. On occasion he will get back and make a good tackle that will earn a big cheer as it's lost on most folk that the tackle should never have had to have been made.

Thompson made him look stupid at times today, Higdon showed up his shortcomings embarassingly obviously in the humping at Fir Park and even a 1st division player ran him ragged until he tired a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Ah not a Hanlon fan and doubt you ever will be. By far the best CH at the club.

Excellent on Mon V the sheep. If I am being honest McPake needs to be dropped.

McGivern at CH and Lewis to LB??

Big decisions for PF.

His runs into the opposition's half with the ball are really worrying and when he loses possession (which happens more often than not) it leaves us really exposed at the back if the opposition counter attack with pace.

Some of the goals we've been leaking recently have been a joke.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    What do we do then? When Hanlon and McGivern were at CB that was a disaster and we can't play Clancy there as that would mean playing Maybury at RB which just isn't an option.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Why single out mckpake the whole defence were shocking today, mcgivern particularly had a bad game