hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs and NUFC - Any fan connections?

Not being a native to either Scotland or England, but being a Hibs and Newcastle fan, was just curious as to the history and relations between Hibs and NUFC supporters? I've only found bits and pieces about this online, some which contradicts the other, and I thought where to find out but on the forum. Just total curiosity about this as they are both 'my teams' so to speak! Any connection whatsoever? I know a number of teams in the SPL have connections with English teams and alot of joint supporters. Any other Hibs and Newcastle supporters out there?

Thanks friends,

2. Log in to remove the advert

I heard stories about there being a lot of bother at a Newcastle - Hibs game back in the 70's IIRC, unfortunately the details have been lost in the mists of time!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 17-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.

No direct links. Possibly just coincidences, incidents and similarities.

For example,

Newcastle fans punch bairns and horses.

Hibs fans get horsed off Bairns.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard stories about there being a lot of bother at a Newcastle - Hibs game back in the 70's IIRC, unfortunately the details have been lost in the midst of time!
    Scariest game/ground I have ever been at. Worst hoolies I have ever seen. Just about sh** myself there. However I have been to NUFC since and thoroughly enjoyed the days out. Son in law is from the Toon, defo my english team

Know a few folk who have Newcastle as their English team, I used to be the same when I was young but I'd only say it's a soft spot now.

There's at least a couple on here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    Know a few folk who have Newcastle as their English team, I used to be the same when I was young but I'd only say it's a soft spot now.

There's at least a couple on here though.
    I remember there being a lot of trouble after Hibs played Newcastle at ER in 83 or 84? Jackie Macs testimonial. This was in the very early days of the Hibs Casuals.
    This resulted in a few Newcastle boys coming to a derby at Tiny a few weeks later on a recruitment drive.

'S' Form
    I used to live in Newcastle in the 90's (during the Keegan era), and whilst on a trip back to Edinburgh to see the Hibs, I responded to an ad in the Hibs match programme. The advert was in relation to starting up a North East, of England supporters club !
    Couldn't believe my luck!!
    I got in touch and we met in a pub in the Gallowgate, where I was elected "Chairman of the Tyneside Hibernians!!"
    All in there where about a dozen members, 2 or 3 Sunderland fans and the rest Geordies. We used to meet on a Tuesday night at the Irish Centre in the Gallowgate...just a piss up really! Fizzled out after a year or so......but we used to get the train up to games in Edinburgh.

How's that for a connection!

GGTTH

Stevie C. NUFC HFC ST

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Stevie C. NUFC HFC ST
    I have followed both since I was a wee boy.

And the good thing about following Hibs and Newcastle is that no-one can ever accuse you of being a glory hunter.

As the founding member of the Scottish Mags, I know lots of Newcastle supporters that travel down from Scotland. We used to get discounted train travel with Virgin (until they lost the franchise) and could have anything up to 40 supporters heading down together. Some are Geordies that now live up here but most are Scottish, that quite often have allegiances to Scottish teams. Some, like me, will swap between St James' and the team they support but, to be honest, a lot of them are guys that travel down have become completely disillusioned with Scottish football and rarely bother with a game up here.

Whilst there are a lot of Newcastle supporting Hibs fans, I'm sorry to say that I've not come across too many Hibs supporting Geordies. They are out there, and I do my bit to try and swell the numbers, but sadly it's one of the OF if they have a Scottish preference.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Don't like them or understand them, a friendly in the 70s down there was far from friendly, crap team, always have been always will be despite 50k at home games.

No connection whatsoever in my book.

Only connection I know of, is fists connecting with faces last time we played them in Jackie Mac's testimonial.

My brother was brought up in Newcastle and is a season ticket holder down there and got me into watching them at a young age. Not been in a while now tho. I remember going to watch them play the yams in a pre season game I think it was 95ish I wore my hibs top and got a less than friendly reception on the way to the game.

'S' Form
    I used to live in Newcastle in the 90's (during the Keegan era), and whilst on a trip back to Edinburgh to see the Hibs, I responded to an ad in the Hibs match programme. The advert was in relation to starting up a North East, of England supporters club !
    Couldn't believe my luck!!
    I got in touch and we met in a pub in the Gallowgate, where I was elected "Chairman of the Tyneside Hibernians!!"
    All in there where about a dozen members, 2 or 3 Sunderland fans and the rest Geordies. We used to meet on a Tuesday night at the Irish Centre in the Gallowgate...just a piss up really! Fizzled out after a year or so......but we used to get the train up to games in Edinburgh.

How's that for a connection!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Don't like them or understand them, a friendly in the 70s down there was far from friendly, crap team, always have been always will be despite 50k at home games.

No connection whatsoever in my book.
    Although you described three or four similarities to Hibs in your opening sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Reg View Post
    I remember going to watch them play the yams in a pre season game I think it was 95ish I wore my hibs top and got a less than friendly reception on the way to the game.
    To be honest, it's not too surprising that wearing another teams colours to a game would get a frosty reception.

I was over in Lisbon for the Europa game and ripped a guy a new one for turning up to the main square (pre-match) with a Rangers flag on his back.

Putting aside fan connections ..

there are quite a lot of player connections, especially from the 60's and 70's.

There seems to be a bit of a connection going on between the two training centres as well, with youth teams regularly travelling between the two for games.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Putting aside fan connections ..

there are quite a lot of player connections, especially from the 60's and 70's.

There seems to be a bit of a connection going on between the two training centres as well, with youth teams regularly travelling between the two for games.
    Is there not a link between Wallsend BC (think they are Newcastle) & hibs ..didnt we have a player or two on trial from them at some point ?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    Quote Originally Posted by TrasnaHibsFan View Post
    Not being a native to either Scotland or England, but being a Hibs and Newcastle fan, was just curious as to the history and relations between Hibs and NUFC supporters? I've only found bits and pieces about this online, some which contradicts the other, and I thought where to find out but on the forum. Just total curiosity about this as they are both 'my teams' so to speak! Any connection whatsoever? I know a number of teams in the SPL have connections with English teams and alot of joint supporters. Any other Hibs and Newcastle supporters out there?

Thanks friends,
    Me and my old man are also Hibs and Newcastle fans and one time after visiting the store at St. James' Park we nipped over to The Strawberry pub and propping up the bar was a Geordie wearing a Hibs jacket. We got speaking to him and he said he supported Hibs because it was the closest club other than Newcastle to him that he liked!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    seems that a lot of hibbies feel the need to have an English team and pick Newcastle because it's close, **** them

supported the magpies since I was 5,loved the strip so there.Coming from Buckie,anywhere south of Aberdeen was a foreign country,and the only time I've been to St James Park was to see Bob Dylan.

Blog Entries
    We did of course have some major transfer activity with Newcastle in 70's with Brownlie & Blackley going one way & Ralph Callachan coming to ER. Hibs as a club at that time had very cordial relations with NUFC & there was some talk of an informal link up but I don't believe anything ever happened. Re Wallsend we got Damon Gray, the infamous Lua Lua & I think a keeper but no one as yet who's made the grade.

I remember being at the Hibs Sunderland pre-season friendly back in 2011 and there was some guy with a Newcastle top on in the East. That's all I have to add.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Hibbies of a certain age used to shout abuse at Ralph Callachan. I suppose Geordies did too.

Oh, and then there's Robertson

First Team Breakthrough keithkeith's Avatar
    Yep...passionate fan of both Clubs. Hibs all my life due to my family. Toon down to watching Auf Weidersehen Pet as a wee boy...

Love them both...

Went down a few times in the late 80s when they were playing Liverpool. One time we had tix for the Gallowgate end, we were 'outed' as Hibees and Pool fans but not a bit of bother, aside of a wee chorus of ' Away Up In Gorgie' during a 0-4 humping.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hibbies of a certain age used to shout abuse at Ralph Callachan. I suppose Geordies did too.

Oh, and then there's Robertson
    Someone will be along in a minute to talk of John MacNamee....

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Remember my old man connecting with a two footed kick to some Geordies puss when they tried to storm our bus. Got the feeling they don't like us down there.

First Team Regular
    Recently started following newcastle after a mate from uni took me down to a game at the start of the season. Didnt think id get in to it at the time but ended up hooked after the atmosphere at the ground and have been to a couple of games since. One connection that got me would be their fans long wait for silverware, a bit reminiscent of our long wait for the holy grail!

Quote Originally Posted by stranraerhibby View Post
    I remember being at the Hibs Sunderland pre-season friendly back in 2011 and there was some guy with a Newcastle top on in the East. That's all I have to add.
    SeanRaff. Sect43 dude

don't like the skunks, c'mon the macams. don't know why, but the guys in Washie area seem mair friendly and the ones on the banks o' the tyne are cocky loadmouth gits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Someone will be along in a minute to talk of John MacNamee....
    perhaps a certain mr jim scott as well?!!!!!!!!!