hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Wolves want Leigh back

According to story in The Scotsman Dean Saunders wants to exercise the 1 year option on his contract. Not sure how much choice Griffiths has in the matter but doesn't look good...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/wolverhampton-wanderers-want-leigh-griffiths-back-1-2896794

2. Log in to remove the advert

Anybody that thinks he'll be at ER next season is kidding themselves. Lets hope he leaves on a high at the end of next month.

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Why didn't we just buy him when we had the chance...
    Bye Leigh!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to story in The Scotsman Dean Saunders wants to exercise the 1 year option on his contract. Not sure how much choice Griffiths has in the matter but doesn't look good...

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football...back-1-2896794
    I'd rather he went back there than move to Parkhead as a possible replacement for Hooper.
    If he keeps scoring goals like he's been doing there'll be more teams than Wolves or Celtc to worry about.

First Team Breakthrough

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football...back-1-2896794
    Wolves are 2nd bottom. If they get relegated hopefully Leigh will have a chance to get out of his contract, and Dean Saunders may not be the manager by the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar

Can't he tell them to **** off
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    No Leigh

No Doyle

No Kuqi

Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Anybody that thinks he'll be at ER next season is kidding themselves. Lets hope he leaves on a high at the end of next month.
    Yep. What a send off that would be for him to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final!

@hibs.net private member
    Does anyone know how the 1 year option works? Can Leigh simply refuse or is it a case that it's in his current contract and he has no choice? It certainly sounds from the way Saunders is talking that is a decision Wolves can make without Leighs consent

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    No Leigh

No Doyle

No Kuqi

Good point, although I think it's safe to say Kuqi won't be missed too much it looks like we won't have a single senior forward on the books come the summer. Big rebuilding job in the summer considering your looking at bringing in 3 strikers plus replacing a number of players who are out of contract or who's loans are ending.

Does anyone know how the 1 year option works? Can Leigh simply refuse or is it a case that it's in his current contract and he has no choice? It certainly sounds from the way Saunders is talking that is a decision Wolves can make without Leighs consent
    They'll have the option of extending his contract by another year, if they wish to do so.

It would have been agreed with Griffiths' team at the time of signing the contract so he probably won't have much of a say.

He could make things quite difficult though, if he really doesn't want to go back there.

I'm not certain that he will be at Wolves next year to be honest but I definitely don't see him being with us.

Would love to be proved wrong on that point but I can't see it happening.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    No chance we'll keep him. He's really got himself noticed this season and I'd suggest we enjoy it while it lasts. Most talented player we've had for many a year IMO. Hope he gets the perfect end to his Hibs career on the 26th May.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    They'll have the option of extending his contract by another year, if they wish to do so.

It would have been agreed with Griffiths' team at the time of signing the contract so he probably won't have much of a say.

He could make things quite difficult though, if he really doesn't want to go back there.

I'm not certain that he will be at Wolves next year to be honest but I definitely don't see him being with us.

Would love to be proved wrong on that point but I can't see it happening.
    Yeah, can't see him at Wolves next season either, always thought he was unlikely to stay with us but held out some hope. Can see Wolves invoking his extension then promptly selling him on for a tidy profit on their initial investment if he really doesn't want to stay

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    Why didn't we just buy him when we had the chance...
    Bye Leigh!
    When did we have the chance - or when did we have the money to have a chance?

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    When did we have the chance - or when did we have the money to have a chance?
    We did have the chance to buy him.

Instead, we signed Kuqi......

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post

What was Wolves' asking price?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    What was Wolves' asking price?
    It will be the mythical 150k that gets trotted out when folk want to put the boot into hibs.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    It will be the mythical 150k that gets trotted out when folk want to put the boot into hibs.
    That is my thought as well. Would like to see it written somewhere, apart from Hibs.net that is

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    That is my thought as well. Would like to see it written somewhere, apart from Hibs.net that is
    The £150k figure may well be true. Combine that with the wages he's likely to be looking for and he ends up being well out of our price bracket.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 16-04-2013 at 06:01 AM.

The £150k figure may well be true. Combine that with the wages he's likely to be looking for and he ends up being well out of our price bracket.
    Exactly. It has always been a case of enjoy it while you can with Griffiths.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Could be Peeve. Never seen it written anywhere. Agree with the rest regarding wages, however it will certainly become another .net FACT. END OF. that we signed Kuqi instead.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Exactly. It has always been a case of enjoy it while you can with Griffiths.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar

Were we getting Leigh on a free ?
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Weve had two good years out of Griffiths, and this year in particular he has been phenomenal. Its a shame he isnt our player as I think keeping him will be a real challenge, especially as he is on course for around 30 goals. Im delighted to have had him at the club for those two years though, and hes been one of the best (if not the best) strikers weve had in recent years.

If he does go back to Wolves good luck to him and I hope he actually gets a game. It will leave us a fairly big gap to fill but thats football. Lets hope if he does go its on a high!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The option is useless if LG tells them he doesn't want to play for them, which I believe to be the case. Wolves are hardly going to keep an unhappy player on their books.

Gut feeling is he'll sign for Hibs.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Totally agree peevemor, always hoped we could maybe have done something to amp up an offer ( bigger sell on cut than the standard 10% or something) but the reality is Leigh deserves to be earning 6-10k a week ( in footballer terms ) and we can't touch that sadly
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Always going to move to bigger things at end of this season. Just glad we had him. Fully expect the weedgie media and Celtic themselves to start their Cup disruption tactics with noises about Leigh moving to Shellick at end of season. Almost guaranteed to happen.

That's exactly it. The opportunity never arose.

Was always only a loan deal. Hibs simply cannot afford players like Leigh. Get used to it as its not going to change. We also wont keep the talented youngsters that come through. They will continue to be sold in order to balance the books. Hopefully we can keep Harris for a few years - but he will be sold, of that there is no doubt.

This could just be a negotiating tactic by Wolves. Griffiths just needs to say he does not want to play for Wolves or live in the midland. His agent will then look for a new club for him.

Hibs won't have money to buy him or indeed the money to compete with some of the wage offers he is going to receive.

I personally think he will end up at Celtic along with James McFadden.

Good while it lasted.

He's made unbelievable progress this year. He was OK last year, nothing more.

I, among others, posted at the start of the year that I wasn't too fussed about him returning! Glad am not in charge! :o)