hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Charlie Green - the racist

Charles Green has been branded a racist by SRTRC.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-...-west-22064369

Charlie, you're a racist **** and This gives us another reason not to like you

2. Log in to remove the advert

he should go back to his own country the clown

He is at the right club then

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    He always said he was the type of man to call a spade a spade.
    45 AND RISING

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Mind you their fans did used to sing " Oh i'd rather be a P*^i than a Tim"
    45 AND RISING

Someone linked to The Sun story and he called the guy a paki, they totally glossed over it. They're perfectly matched.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    He's a proper Rangers man.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    What? Cheeky Charlie a racist? Cannae see it myself, there's surely nae money to be scammed from racism?

Odious wee man, ideally placed where he is.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

My Mum said that she though the local Chinky was very good and reasonably priced. Should she be expecting a knock at the door?

Has anyone actually asked the man whom Mr Green called a Paki if he himself is offended, or is this a lot of (I imagine) predominantly white people getting hot under the collar about a word that - in the context - wasn't used in a racist fashion?

Just playing Devil's Advocate likesay

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if anyone has a picture of other racists linked to clubs associated with dodgy financial dealings?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Mum said that she though the local Chinky was very good and reasonably priced. Should she be expecting a knock at the door?

Has anyone actually asked the man whom Mr Green called a Paki if he himself is offended, or is this a lot of (I imagine) predominantly white people getting hot under the collar about a word that - in the context - wasn't used in a racist fashion?

Does that make you a satanist?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

You shouldn't because the country is trying to move on and improve itself. The lady on Radio Scotland, for example, gave a very sensible summation as to why chat like this is really just bullying and not appropriate from a football club spokesman. You can play Devil's Advocate all you want but fortunately there are still enough good men who will counter the, its okay, viewpoint and say something to keep guys like you and Mr Green in their place. I would like to think that there are fans of The Rangers that would do the same; recent history would suggest they have a long way to go but getting rid of Chick Green would be a start.

Indeed, I believe its all about the context in these situations, obviously "Paki B" would have different connotations.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 08-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Just out of interest has anyone got a Pakistani mate who objects to being called a Paki? I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Indeed, I believe its all about the context in these situations, obviously "Paki B" would have different connotations.
    It's up to his friend t o decide if its racist.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    "Paki" is a term that has been used to slur people of many cultures, united by a certain skin colour. I have heard it used against light skinned Africans, Indians, Iranians, etc.

It's connotations are racist, and openly known to be such. Pretending otherwise is foolish, and whatever in-jokes you and your friends may have, you have to be pretty stupid to go throwing it about publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    That seems fair enough.

I disagree, the poster below sums up the reason why:

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    "Paki" is a term that has been used to slur people of many cultures, united by a certain skin colour. I have heard it used against light skinned Africans, Indians, Iranians, etc.

It's connotations are racist, and openly known to be such. Pretending otherwise is foolish, and whatever in-jokes you and your friends may have, you have to be pretty stupid to go throwing it about publicly.
    Just because a friend might not find it offensive doesn't mean the term itself isn't racist - it still has the same connotations. More to the point, Green didn't just say it to his friend. He said it to a national newspaper. If it was just between him and his friend an his friend didn't care then there wouldn't be a problem, but as a public figure speaking in a national newspaper, it gives the impression that this type of language is acceptable when it's not.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Mr Green said that he "deplores" racism and sectarianism, while accusing the organisation of a "knee-jerk reaction".

laugh ? i nearly ******* cried
    anyone involved at bigotbrox is sectarian by default

Coaching Staff
    Not under current legislation FR - anyone, including the 'victim', can make a complaint against Green should they wish to - if they find it offensive in nature and racially aggravated. In other words, if you are in the queue at Tesco and you hear Mr X call Mr Y what Mr Green said - you can make a complaint to the police - it doesn't have to come from the person the insult was directed at (Mr Y).

Green could technically still be charged and reported for his comments if someone were to make a complaint (finding his alleged comments offensive - which they most certainly are by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Just out of interest has anyone got a Pakistani mate who objects to being called a Paki? I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot
    This argument is often put forward. Scot, in general, isn't (or hasn't in the past) used as a derogatory term for all white people.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Mr Green said that he "deplores" racism and sectarianism, while accusing the organisation of a "knee-jerk reaction".

laugh ? i nearly ******* cried
    anyone involved at bigotbrox is sectarian by default

Think that you will find that what comes from the terracing at Hunbrox isn't sectarian. It is an expression of their background and history and is their democratic right to say it. That always made me feel better when getting a bleaching in the early 80's.

Nonsense. Anyone can (and should IMO) be offended by racism or racist language, regardless of who its aimed at. And that is also the legal position.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Nonsense. Anyone can (and should IMO) be offended by racism or racist language, regardless of who its aimed at. And that is also the legal position.
    Thing is bollah, lets see just how strong the now Police Service of Scotland are in taking Green to task - Leigh was reported for similar so I'd hope they take the same amount of interest through West

One day we will move out of the Mind Your Language mindset mate, one day

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot
    You for real?

Linguistically, 'Paki' or 'Chinky' should be not more racist terms than 'Scot', all are abbreviations of somebodies supposed country of origin. However, the term was used in a derisory, condescending way when we had the first influx of New Commonwealth immigration in the fifties and sixties, and it has continued to be. Green's comments are very much in this mold.

Greene is an odious man.......

Interestingly he says that if anyone else said what he did within Ipox, they would be under an internal investigation......He really is a dangerously stupid man......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Do you think you're still living in the 1970s mate? That was considered a good wisecrack back then. You might want to update your patter a wee bit.

Oh, and just so you know in future, most of the folk in Scotland who get called that were born in Scotland. What's more, their ancestors mostly came here from The Punjab (that's in India by the way) or Bangladesh (also not Pakistan).
    Last edited by Paisley Hibby; 08-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Linguistically, 'Paki' or 'Chinky' should be not more racist terms than 'Scot', all are abbreviations of somebodies supposed country of origin. However, the term was used in a derisory, condescending way when we had the first influx of New Commonwealth immigration in the fifties and sixties, and it has continued to be. Green's comments are very much in this mold.
    I don't think Scot would be the equivalent expression, it might be more like a Jock or even a sweaty as in sweaty sock. Not exactly racist, but a put down all the same.