hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough 1875HFC's Avatar

Should Petrie step down?

Owing to the number of dissatisfied fellow Hibbies on this forum tonight, something is majorly wrong at the club and needs to change.

How many more years are we going to have a revolving turnstile of Managers coming in and out of the club with little or nothing to show for their time in Leith? It is evident that no matter what individual is appointed role of Manager they will be unable to bring 'sexy football' back to Easter Road.

IMO Something needs to change at the top and the only way this can be done is for Petrie to move aside. I 100% respect his business acumen and his ability to run a football club like a business (financial wise and living within our means) however it just does not give us fans much to get excited about nor fill us with much confidence that things are going to get better.

What is everyones thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not a huge fan of Petrie but Fenlon has been allowed to sign a new team, including the likes of Clancy, McPake, Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Robertson and Kuqi. None of whom would have been looking for sweeties.

You can't blame Petrie for Fenlon's tactics, signings, management or coaching. Unless he's interfering in team matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a huge fan of Petrie but Fenlon has been allowed to sign a new team, including the likes of Clancy, McPake, Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Robertson and Kuqi. None of whom would have been looking for sweeties.

You can't blame Petrie for Fenlon's tactics, signings, management or coaching. Unless he's interfering in team matters.
    Nice try Rod!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Mr petrie should stick to his irn bru adverts from now on :(

Quote Originally Posted by Row H View Post
    Nice try Rod!

Lord Petrie to you.

100% agree

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    No but cannot be part of any recruiting decision bar the budget aspect.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    No but cannot be part of any recruiting decision bar the budget aspect.
    He claims he wasn't part of Fenlon's recruitment, it wa down to Lindsay etc

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

This is all true but at the same time it would be naive to think that Petrie was not involved in Fenlon's appointment so he's got to carry the can for yet another poor selection.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He claims he wasn't part of Fenlon's recruitment, it wa down to Lindsay etc
    Then we need someone inside the game (ex player) with Hibs best interest at heart to recommend possible coaches/manager. Stanton would probably be ideal but probably been out of the game too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This is all true but at the same time it would be naive to think that Petrie was not involved in Fenlon's appointment so he's got to carry the can for yet another poor selection.
    Absolutely. There's no doubt that Fenlon was a particularly risky appointment too.

As folk have said before, the club should have a philosophy and select managers who can fit into that. Petrie's got a lot to answer for the way certain aspects of the club are run but, beyond appointing Fenlon (or having a hand in it), I don't really think he can be blamed for Fenlon's shortcomings that have become apparent since he took over.

Agree to an extent.

Petrie has backed the last few managers. The problem is he has got all the appointments wrong so is backing the wrong men.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    What's the point of Petrie stepping down?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875HFC View Post
    unable to bring 'sexy football' back to Easter Road.

What is everyones thoughts?
    In almost 30 years of watching Hibs I have seen that mythical 'sexy football' only fleetingly.....and even then it did not bring success.

Petrie and Farmer are now "dead hands" and holding us back. New investment needed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Pans Hibby View Post
    Petrie and Farmer are now "dead hands" and holding us back. New investment needed.
    Its not about needing new investment. No-one in the SPL bar Celtic has money but clearly something is going wrong at some level that is causing this decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    What's the point of Petrie stepping down?
    It won't happen anyway but what's he doing at Hibs that makes him so indespensible? We lose money, crowds are pretty static, we've finished in the bottom six for the last three seasons, we've had a few managerial failures and more. What's he getting right?

It won't happen anyway but what's he doing at Hibs that makes him so indespensible? We lose money, crowds are pretty static, we've finished in the bottom six for the last three seasons, we've had a few managerial failures and more. What's he getting right?
    I suspect some may argue that had he not been at the helm we might be where many other clubs are now - up s4it creek without a paddle. Sadly, that is seen as success in its own right
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Why should Petrie step down ? I am pretty sure the teams that have finished above us in the top six, with the exception of Celtic, have been assembled with less funds than has been made available to Fenlon, Calderwood etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I suspect some may argue that had he not been at the helm we might be where many other clubs are now - up s4it creek without a paddle. Sadly, that is seen as success in its own right
    I keep telling Mrs Beefster that I'm the perfect husband because the house hasn't been repossessed but she doesn't agree!

I keep telling Mrs Beefster that I'm the perfect husband because the house hasn't been repossessed but she doesn't agree!
    This is how it feels

Promising Youngster ThirdManRun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Why should Petrie step down ? I am pretty sure the teams that have finished above us in the top six, with the exception of Celtic, have been assembled with less funds than has been made available to Fenlon, Calderwood etc.
    But Petrie appoints the managers who squander these funds. Therefore he's ultimately responsible.

I've never understood why people with no qualifications to manage / coach a football team hire a coach / manager of a football team.

Can someone explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    People keep saying this but is it really true ? St J for example are said to spend a lot ( relatively ) on first team players and very little on youth players . Top players at ICT or Dundee United may be getting more than our top players ( top not meaning much at any of the clubs ) . Question is not just which managers have been chosen ( I don`t believe all the managers were bad choices as some seem to suggest ) but how much backing they`ve received ( financial , public support , scouting network , ... ) .

Left by mutual consent!
    Petrie should have been away years ago and how he survived CC situation is a mystery to me.

if we don't get to the final, he should sack the manager, then resign at the end of the season. if we get to the final, and we don't win it, he should resign at the end of the season.if any/both of those happen, he can always say that he left us in a fairly stable condition,nice ground,nice training facilities etc but his cv will also read.......won not a lot, in comparison to the fans expectations, and regularly brought in backroom stuff not quite up to the job. if we win the cup. legendary status, plaque,stand in his name,figurine at the main office,and even statue at the carpark entrance. up to you mr P.

Promising Youngster ThirdManRun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Petrie should have been away years ago and how he survived CC situation is a mystery to me.
    Because there is no accountability at the club. Who does Petrie report to? Farmer, god bless him, doesn't really care. Therefore Petrie is working without any pressure or targets in terms of football performance.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post
    I've never understood why people with no qualifications to manage / coach a football team hire a coach / manager of a football team.

Its from the same school of thought that dictates that:
    Fans with no business background know how to run a club
    Fans with no football management background know how a team should be setup/picked
    Fans with no coaching experience know how training should be done
    Fans with no scouting experience know who should be signed up
    Fans with no finance or knowledge of club finances know exactly how much we should be spending (and how much other clubs are spending).

Lets face it, not one poster on here knows exactly what goes on at the club. All we have is guess work and speculation.

even when we're told black is black, people will claim its really grey, not quite black, simply because they refuse to believe it.

Anyway, all the bitching and moaning on here isn't going to change the result today (away to the league leaders) or next weeks game (yet to be played, but already a Falkirk win and a horror story of a match).

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post

Or criticise those who do?

Coaching Staff

HIbs: An Example of Institutionalised Mediocrity - STF to the rescue?

It could be argued that this belongs on the current 'should Petrie Step Down" thread but was worried that its point may be lost if posted there.

Mr Petrie is not the most popular person at ER, but are the arrows being lined up and pointed at the wrong target, when it comes to fixing the slide at Easter Road?

RP reports to the owner - Sir Tom, just as most on this list would report to their boss at their place of employment.

As fans, we can moan and groan about what many portray as Rod's lack of ambition etc, but at year end when his annual appraisal is done, if Sir Tom is telling him he has done a wonderful job, steady as she goes for next year etc - is it any wonder that he does not then indulge in a spot of self evaluation?
    I mean, really, if our boss tells us we're doing a wonderful job and keep going the way we are going, aren't we likely to keep going down the same comfortable path?

After all, if we are set pretty low targets, we're not going ot have much trouble meeting them.

Sir Tom was positively glowing in his praise of RP at the last AGM.

Ive been around several organisations where people/things get too comfortable', due mainly to a lack of committed leadership over a period of years, and a culture of what I term Ínstitutionalised Mediocrity' sets in and pervades the whole organisation.

Basically an attitude then exists of only doing 'the minimum we need to' and those who originally oppose it end up thinking..'why should I bother, nobody else cares".

I think we are at this point and need urgently to 'reform''

Any change MUST be driven from the top - and this is where STF needs to step up to the plate, as any reform must be driven from the very top.

Sir Tom needs to clearly communicate his vision for Hbernian Football Club and determinedly drive the bus towards that goal.

Its called 'The 'Tome at The Top' but simply, I'd like if Sir Tom publicly acknowledges that current standards are unacceptable, and that EVERYONE at the club is on notice to improve.

His continued silence, deferring mostly to RP - does him no favours, and again allows questions to arise as to his commitment.

You saved us once Sir Tom, time to get your sleeves rolled up again, as I dont think you would want your legacy to be tarnished by being remembered not only as the man who saved Hibs, but also as the man who, having done so, then allowed a culture of institionalised mediocrity to flourish after you had done so.

The 'slide'' in standards has been noticeable to everybody for a while now - to ignore it and not take any corrective action would be I suggest, seen as inappropriate.