hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

When was Easter Road at its best?

We have a shiny new stadium, but am I alone in feeling a part of me died when the old East was demolished? Easter Road was at its most atmospheric when we had the new Famous Five and away ends, but BEFORE we lost the East and old stand. Discuss.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The East stand has been rocking at some games this season like Celtic etc, some cracking atmospheres at ER.

First Team Breakthrough
    It's the fans that make the atmosphere. Easter road is best when we have an honest winning side.

To be honest, the old Easter Road was a rubbish stadium and the old Est Stand was by far the worst part of it. The old Main Stand was a firetrap in the making. The two ends were a bad joke. The toilets were appalling. The who place was falling apart until the City Council and teh Taylor Report forced Tom Farmer to do something about it.

Those inside the East Terrace may have thought that the atmosphere was good but it rarely was apparent for those on the pitch and elsewhere.

The current stadium is far better and the noise from the East comes across really well.

Get at least 12,000-14,000 in every match and you will see some real atmosphere!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The best is yet to come

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a shiny new stadium, but am I alone in feeling a part of me died when the old East was demolished? Easter Road was at its most atmospheric when we had the new Famous Five and away ends, but BEFORE we lost the East and old stand. Discuss.
    Thats because in that period we had Sauzee, Latapy etc on the park to cheer about.
    Once we get a good side together it will be even better than then.

I was home for the Hearts game at ER in December and thought that the place was brilliant.
    The old ground was completely falling apart, like how Tynie is now and it had to go as it had no place in modern day football.

It's upto the fans how the atmosphere is in the ground, so if your not happy which I'm guessing you are by making this thread- then do something about it.
    Afterall a wise man once said "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Hail the Hibees

IMO there has not been a REAL atmosphere at ER stadium since the 1960/70's

Testimonial Due
    I used to have a season ticket in the old east terracing and my favourite memories are from this time and the atmosphere was great, however this also coincides with when we had a good team. I'm sure if we ever get a team like we did during the mowbray era again then the atmosphere will return, because lets face it we have been utter pish since the stand went up (and for a while before that too!)

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Yes.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    When we've been playing well in big games this season it's been a fantastic atmosphere, even against the likes of St Mirren and Dundee Utd it was decent. Seems to have gone downhill with the teams form though, which isn't a surprise.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    ER is at it's best when it's population believe in the team.

It's a fine stadium now but I remember some brilliant atmospheres whe the Cave was rocking, especially the ECWC game against Spoting Lisbon when the Cave was closed early because there were so many people in and no-one else was in the ground!!

The best game I have been to at ER was the AEK Athens game. I was sitting in the upper tier of the FF and the whole stadium was rocking that night.

Just imagine what a full ER now would sound like on a night like that.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, that night in my opinion was the best atmosphere and Easter Road was in my opinion at its best. I have been in bigger crowds, but that was just the best for me.

Now

No. It hasn't been the same for me either.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    IMO the old East was much better before it was halved and roofed.

Great atmosphere at the Sporting Lisbon, Besa and Hajduk Split games in the ECWC run in 72/73.

Can also recall great atmosphere against Leeds (penalties game as wasn't at the 4 steps game), Rangers in a Wednesday night Scottish Cup replay (which was the biggest crowd I have been in at ER) and numerous other Hearts, Rangers and Celtic games.

One of my favourites was against Hamburg in what IIRC was my first European game.

So what you refer to as the old East isn't the same as what I refer to as the old East.

IMO the East you refer to wasn't as good after it was seated, it was mental before that.
    Last edited by scoopyboy; 02-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Great atmosphere at the Sporting Lisbon, Besa and Hajduk Split games in the ECWC run in 72/73.

Can also recall great atmosphere against Leeds (penalties game as wasn't at the 4 steps game), Rangers in a Wednesday night Scottish Cup replay (which was the biggest crowd I have been in at ER) and numerous other Hearts, Rangers and Celtic games.

One of my favourites was against Hamburg in what IIRC was my first European game.

So what you refer to as the old East isn't the same as what I refer to as the old East.

IMO the East you refer to wasn't as good after it was seated, it was mental before that
    I also remember those games you refer to, there was a real atmosphere in those days especially when we had the cave/shed behind the goal. Those who say they have always sung in the shed meaning the east stand should have been behind the goal in the 60s and 70s, that was miles better than anything I ever witnessed in the cut down east stand.

Obviously this is never going to happen but I'd love to have the current stadium with one modification, that the East Stand was a standing terrace instead of seated. I'd maybe make the front of the South Stand terracing as well, so some of the away fans can also stand.

It would need to be less steep, to be safer for standing, but that would be my ideal stadium.

If I win the Euromillions, I'll buy Hibs and make that my first change

My second change would be to make the terracing £10 for adults and £5 for kids, for one season only, to prove once and for all whether low prices increase the size of the crowd.

IMO the East you refer to wasn't as good after it was seated, it was mental before that.
    spot on ... I like the new stand I must admit, but it doesn't yet match the majestic East terracing we had back when the Leeds, Liverpool, Naples, Hamburg and all those other teams played here - to get that type of atmosphere back we need a good team on the park and management staff who know what they are doing - think we're going to have to wait a bit though...

Left by mutual consent!

maybe mental occasionally. From what i remember, it was at it's best/worst when the ugly sisters were allocated the top half. Most of the time, it was a wasteland.

If we ever get back to truly big euro nights - the new east will be hands down winner.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I still think it's too big, if the capacity was a few thousand less it would help. The stadium is at it's best now though, we just need a halfway decent team on the pitch to actually get excited about.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    IMO there has not been a REAL atmosphere at ER stadium since the 1960/70's
    I was in the old cave at 6pm for the Sporting Lisbon Cup winners cup tie. Thar part of the ground had full up signs at 6.30. The place rocked, really rocked that night. The noise was unbelievable and i am sure the crowd helped us to a magnificent win. My favourate European night.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    I was in the old cave at 6pm for the Sporting Lisbon Cup winners cup tie. Thar part of the ground had full up signs at 6.30. The place rocked, really rocked that night. The noise was unbelievable and i am sure the crowd helped us to a magnificent win. My favourate European night.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, that night in my opinion was the best atmosphere and Easter Road was in my opinion at its best. I have been in bigger crowds, but that was just the best for me.
    That's not you living in the past is it Gary 1-1 at half time & shooting down hill towards the cave in the second half.

I thought the Hamburg game was magic as well, a very warranted great sense of injustice surrounding the place at the end. Joe Davies missing a pen that we were actually given, which he rarely done, he should have had at least three more to take & Eric Stevenson subjected to GBH, every time he had the ball. I've never seen such a one sided 2-1 win, anywhere, since then.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    maybe mental occasionally. From what i remember, it was at it's best/worst when the ugly sisters were allocated the top half. Most of the time, it was a wasteland.

If we ever get back to truly big euro nights - the new east will be hands down winner.
    Apologies ch, I was meaning after Waugh roofed it and before the benches were put in.

A couple of times in there I moved yards without my feet touching the ground when Hibs scored against Hearts.

Once we beat them 2-1 (May and Kane?) and another time 1-0 with a really early Eddie May goal(NY game).

When I first watched Hibs the East Terrace used to go up to the sky and if you were standing at the top you'd be looking down on the main stand.

I dare say the new ground is better for safety etc but it's soulless to me - all concrete and plastic.

Best days were in the old North Stand enclosure when it was packed. You were within earshot of the Directors' Box and they got pelters at times!

There was some rare wit flying about and a lot of us were drunk to be honest.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Get the corners filled in, that'll be the best time at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Get the corners filled in, that'll be the best time at ER.
    Excellent idea.