hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: How Long Does Fenlon Get?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sack Him Now

7 2.54%
  • Until The End Of This Season

45 16.30%
  • October/November

45 16.30%
  • End of Next Season

113 40.94%
  • Longer

66 23.91%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How Long Does Fenlon Get?

So, with some blaming Fenlon now, how long will everyone give him to "prove himself". I don't want him sacked any time soon, I think he's done a decent job considering what we were last season but I'm interested to know what the general consensus is.

I'm saying give him until the end of next season and if we finish in the bottom 6 again, then we need to have a re-think but I'm happy with the progress.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Up The Bracket; 31-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Another season for me.

If he bags the cup , he can also sleep with my Wife.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    Taxi

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandLoyal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, with everyone blaming Fenlon now, how long will everyone give him to "prove himself". I don't want him sacked any time soon, I think he's done a decent job considering what we were last season but I'm interested to know what the general consensus is.

I'm saying give him until the end of next season and if we finish in the bottom 6 again, then we need to have a re-think but I'm happy with the progress.

Thoughts?
    I really think that this a stupid poll. I think I will start a poll on banning stupid polls.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Ill say first 5-10 games of next season. If they go the same way as just now, that'll be me sitting firmly on the side of Fenlon out.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Fenlon IN Poll about him being sacked OUT

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandLoyal View Post
    So, with everyone blaming Fenlon now, how long will everyone give him to "prove himself". I don't want him sacked any time soon, I think he's done a decent job considering what we were last season but I'm interested to know what the general consensus is.

Thoughts?
    Everyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Fenlon IN Poll about him being sacked OUT
    Just trying to get the general consensus of the forum after reading lots of opinions in the other thread, no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Everyone??
    Edited.
    Last edited by Up The Bracket; 31-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Don`t think "everyone" is blaming Fenlon . Most of the most critical of him were criticising him before he`d started at Hibs or soon after and appear after every defeat to remind us . He inherited a rotten squad and has had other limits too ( having Martin Scott on wage bill for example ) . IF Petrie decides to change manager though he should do it in summer ( now or 2014 ) since mid season changes rarely work . Personally I`m glad to have him as manager and think he could if given time be remembered as a good or even great Hibernian manager .

I would give him at least until the end of the year.

If we're struggling by the time we get to Christmas then we may need to look at various things, not just the manager's position but other positions as well.

Any talk of sacking him now is just ridiculous, in my opinion.

I'm still backing Fenlon. I think he can take us forward.

What I am sick of is watching countless numbers of Hibs teams falling off midseason. lets be honest, besides Williams Griffiths and perhaps Claros every single one of the rest of them has had a drop in form since about January. It happens every season and I would love to know why.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    End of the year for me as well.

I really hope that he intends in getting 3 strikers in the summer. I'm putting his tactical failures down to the fact we have, at the moment, one striker who is good enough to play in the SPL.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    If similar results continue(i.e. lower mid table) then it would be harsh before the end of next season.

If we're bottom in October/November then he should maybe be punted.

First Team Breakthrough
    If I'd seen anything in him that made me think he could succeed I'd allow him two more seasons to really build. If his contract was done in the summer I wouldnt even consider keeping him.

I'm far from a Fenlon supporter but give him at least till the end of the season. If we win the cup then he keeps his job. If we reach the final and lose a close, tight game and finish 7/8 he probably keeps his job. If we make the final, get humped and and finish 8th or less then questions will need answered. IF Falkirk beat us, what then? you lot can back him but not me. He will then have to go in my opinion.

He still has my support and will do until the end of the first round of games next season, if things aren't going well then it's his team so he takes the consequences.

I understand we need stability but sticking with the wrong man merely for stabilities sake is folly. Being better than one of our worst ever managers is also not reason enough to keep him in a job.

Fenlon has it all to prove and only he can show whether he's good enough, i'm starting to have my doubts.

I voted forever. Can i have a 'plan B' though if we lose to Falkirk?

Fenlon has nextseason left on his contract, so he'll either be gone at the AGM or elsehe'll get an extension this time next year. I want it to be the latterbecause that means we're doing better but I wouldn't put money on it.

So I voted “November”.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I'm far from a Fenlon supporter but give him at least till the end of the season. If we win the cup then he keeps his job. If we reach the final and lose a close, tight game and finish 7/8 he probably keeps his job. If we make the final, get humped and and finish 8th or less then questions will need answered. IF Falkirk beat us, what then? you lot can back him but not me. He will then have to go in my opinion.
    Sums it up nicely for me.

As far as I am concerned Fenlon has had enough time to show that the team are progressing, for me he has failed so far.

He should have been sacked a while ago but it's too late now. If Hearts finish above us at the end of the season then he should definately go at the end of the season, Scottish Cup win or not.

If we're mince in the first few months of next season, he'll be gone before the AGM. And it will be another wasted season.

Left by mutual consent!
    I have the feeling he is the right man to take hibs forward over a period of time but I would give him until about november and if we are not in the top 6 then he can go. However look how we were doing in november last year and where we are now...

Left by mutual consent!
    There are teams in the SPL with a fraction or our resources but who are better orginized, better coached and who have better players. The buck stops at PF. Did he try to do something different with, say, 10 minutes to go on Saturday such as putting McPake up front and launch high balls up to him ? It may not have worked but it would have been worth trying. Instead Fenlon went into the dug-out and hid. I say sack him now and appoint Martin O'Neill on a short term deal until the end of the season. He may fancy a wee gig up here for a few weeks. I may be in a minority of one but the football under PF is very, very poor.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    There are teams in the SPL with a fraction or our resources but who are better orginized, better coached and who have better players. The buck stops at PF. Did he try to do something different with, say, 10 minutes to go on Saturday such as putting McPake up front and launch high balls up to him ? It may not have worked but it would have been worth trying. Instead Fenlon went into the dug-out and hid. I say sack him now and appoint Martin O'Neill on a short term deal until the end of the season. He may fancy a wee gig up here for a few weeks. I may be in a minority of one but the football under PF is very, very poor.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't believe that 4 hibs fans want the manager sack 2 weeks before SC semi

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Five seasons.
    ICT have shown what you can do with continuity. Progress has been slower than what our ridiculously impatient fanbase demanded but decent progress has been made.

I'm more heartened that PF seems to be looking to rebuild the character of the club than looking for another quick fix.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I'm still very much behind him, though if we are not comfortably in the top 6 next season (and ideally pushing for second for most of the season) then I will agree that it's time for him to go. I've said this before and I will say it again, if he improves us as much next year as he has this, we will be doing very well indeed.

Of the teams above us outwith Celtic, I certainly accept that Motherwell, ICT and St. Johnstone are better than us - Motherwell and Saints both have managers who took over after the previous incumbent who had done very very and was taken by another club, so both McCall and Lomas inherited good squads who had been performing very well (both have obviously continued the good work). Butcher has been with ICT for 4 years, and kept his job after they were relegated - they finished 10th last year and lost an important player in Jonny Hayes but have built their best ever squad. There were no signs at all that Inverness would improve so much this season (in fact we have 8 points more now than ICT had at the same stage last season), so it just shows what's possible - we have greater resources than them and I would expect that to show next season. In Liam Craig, we have already signed one of the best players from one of the best teams in the league.

It will be hard to take if Killie finish above us (as now looks likely) but again they had a successful manager previously who went elsewhere, so not only has Shiels been in the job for 7 months longer than Fenlon, he inherited a far better squad. Aberdeen's season has been similar to ours, and again they had a better starting point than us, and a manager who had been in the job a year longer than Fenlon. Dundee Utd are in a ridiculous position given that for most of the season their front 3 has been Russell, Daly and Mackay-Steven, and only 3 home wins is awful form - Houston inherited a good squad and won the cup, but the more of Levein's players left, the worse they got, and that's what cost him his job.

Fenlon took over from the worst manager we have ever had, and whilst the league form in the last few months has been disappointing (and the style of play in many games really poor), I am still happy for him to have another summer transfer window to keep building a better squad. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season in the league, he has a much better platform to build on than he did in the summer, so there will be no excuses if he doesn't build from there.

In the last 19 league games our record is W 3 D 7 L 9 which is awful, there is no escaping that - throw in the 3 (very good) SC wins and the record becomes P 22 W 6 D 7 L 9, which looks like less of a collapse. The importance of the SC should not be underestimated in terms of the boost that getting to another final would give us, both in a footballing sense and financially. If we were to lose the semi to Falkirk I wouldn't want him sacked nor do I think Petrie would want to, but such a massive loss coupled with a bottom 6 finish (after being top half for most of the campaign) may well prove too much for many, and poor ST sales may force his hand as it seemed to after Mixu's first full season.

However, the players who are still here from last year and Fenlon himself owe us a win and performance at Hampden, so hopefully we will get it against Falkirk. The decline in our home form in the last few months has been the biggest factor in our falling down the league, so hopefully being away from ER but still playing in front of a big Hibs support will help the players. It's been a frustrating season but in the 3 cup wins - including that win against Hearts - and that great win at home against Celtic, we have had more special moments this season than we have had for several years. Hopefully we can have a couple more before the end of the season.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 01-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Save the pitch forks - the dons fans have only dropped them temporarily.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Five seasons.
    ICT have shown what you can do with continuity. Progress has been slower than what our ridiculously impatient fanbase demanded but decent progress has been made.

I'm more heartened that PF seems to be looking to rebuild the character of the club than looking for another quick fix.
    Terry Butcher has outperformed ICT's resources every single SPL season he's been there. There is no comparison with Fenlon.

As Matty F has already said or implied, Ian Murray's performance at relegation-threatened Dumbarton and Adam's performance at Ross County has pished all over the 'he just needs time and it will all be magic' argument. Manager's have to earn the right to time.
    Last edited by Beefster; 01-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Terry Butcher has outperformed ICT's resources every single SPL season he's been there. There is no comparison with Fenlon.
    Inverness were relegated from the SPL after Butcher took over. His SPL record with Caley is: -

12th
    7th
    10th

Which doesn't really back up your point, though they are doing superbly well this year. If anything though, they are a lesson in what can happen if you stick with a manager even when it may seem like you are going backwards.

Butcher also led Motherwell to 12th in the SPL. He is a good manager now but he has made many mistakes in the past.