hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Hanlon

Blog Entries

Paul Hanlon

What is latest re his injury? With 9 goals conceded in 5 games he's missed has he ( like many other Hibs players ) become a better player since his injury? Personally, I've always had a lot of time for him, my main criticism being he hasn't always made full use of his physical attributes. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Started training last week but wasn't allowed any contact. Starts training with the 1st team tomorrow again and should hopefully be available for Parkhead on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started training last week but wasn't allowed any contact. Starts training with the 1st team tomorrow again and should hopefully be available for Parkhead on Saturday
    Wouldn't risk him against Smellic but keep him for the semi V Falkirk.

Think it shows his absence has been greatly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Wouldn't risk him against Smellic but keep him for the semi V Falkirk.

Think it shows his absence has been greatly missed.
    Needs game time though surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post

Needs game time though surely?
    Agreed but surely next weekend will be too soon. How knows?? I do know we've missed him at the back and was our best defender until his injury.

Agreed but surely next weekend will be too soon. How knows?? I do know we've missed him at the back and was our best defender until his injury.
    Wont play next weekend, too soon for him.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Under 20s run out against Hearts on Tuesday?

Some game time at Parkhead on Saturday?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Is the game at Linlithgow on Tuesday night?

Dont see how some game time could be plausable, not as if you are going to bring him on for the last 20mins or start him and take him off? We will go with a CH pairing that will play the 90 as we should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Is the game at Linlithgow on Tuesday night?
    Prestonfield

I still think he'll make his return against Falkirk??

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Dont see how some game time could be plausable, not as if you are going to bring him on for the last 20mins or start him and take him off? We will go with a CH pairing that will play the 90 as we should be doing.
    Some game time against Hearts in the 20s on Tuesday, if he manages that he could be on the bench on Saturday.

If McGivern or McPake get injured or are on a booking then he could come on as a sub.

Do you think that could be plausible?

Apart from that does it really matter about giving players time at Parkhead, its not as if it really matters.

Some game time against Hearts in the 20s on Tuesday, if he manages that he could be on the bench on Saturday.

If McGivern or McPake get injured or are on a booking then he could come on as a sub.

Apart from that does it really matter about giving players time at Parkhead, its not as if it really matters.
    Yes I do, other than that I wouldnt be factoring in some time for him just for times sake.

How does it not really matter? If we are winning would you be saying the same thing?

FWIW if we are getting a hiding then giving him a run out to get his fitness up ahead of the SF probably wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

Yes I do, other than that I wouldnt be factoring in some time for him just for times sake.

How does it not really matter? If we are winning would you be saying the same thing?

FWIW if we are getting a hiding then giving him a run out to get his fitness up ahead of the SF probably wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.
    My thoughts were along the lines of the following;

PF wants a back four of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern.

I don't think he would want to throw Hanlon into the semi without a run out.

We won't make the top 6 despite it being mathematically possible, if it was likely / possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion of Parkhead game time.

The Falkirk game is more important than the Celtic match.

My thoughts were along the lines of the following;

PF wants a back four of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern.

I don't think he would want to throw Hanlon into the semi without a run out.

We won't make the top 6 despite it being mathematically possible, if it was likely / possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion of Parkhead game time.

The Falkirk game is more important than the Celtic match.
    Yeah I totally agree with you mate and thats very much how I see it aswell. In reality we will be bottom 6 and all we have to focus on is the cup now. However, since it is still possible I hold some hope, hence giving him a run out just for fitness wouldnt be my choice. I suspect both games may be to quck for him anyway but you never know. Hes had a week in the sun and some rest and is now back in training so may well see him sooner than I think.

Yeah I totally agree with you mate and thats very much how I see it aswell. In reality we will be bottom 6 and all we have to focus on is the cup now. However, since it is still possible I hold some hope, hence giving him a run out just for fitness wouldnt be my choice. I suspect both games may be to quck for him anyway but you never know. Hes had a week in the sun and some rest and is now back in training so may well see him sooner than I think.
    Have to remember he's just a young lad... Maybe not fitness being the problem but match fitness. Maybe last 20 at Darkheid to give him a run out.

Yeah, week in the sun, finished his medication, week on the bike and then running and kicking last week.

Full contact as of tomorrow so he is getting there.

Have to remember he's just a young lad... Maybe not fitness being the problem but match fitness. Maybe last 20 at Darkheid to give him a run out.
    Yeah, week in the sun, finished his medication, week on the bike and then running and kicking last week.

Full contact as of tomorrow so he is getting there.
    True true, if he is over the injury and its just a case of match fitness i think a run out for the 20's this week would do him the world of good. Fitness shouldnt be a problem I suppose as hes quite a fit young lad, match fitness as you say is the key. I just feel Darkheid may be to much for him as he will probably have a right busy afternoon and would rather get him a couple of u20 games in then start the SF.

Whatever happens he will be a welcome addition back in the team, hes come on a lot this season and would like to see the back 4 Scoopy stated above as think most would agree thats our strongest, when fit.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

I'd start him in both games, then see how he goes. We need a back 4 of Clancy McPake Hanlon and McGivern for the semi. I'd rest McGivern against Celtic along with 3 or 4 others, as you say the Celtic game hardly matters in the grand scheme of things.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

I'd start him in both games, then see how he goes. We need a back 4 of Clancy McPake Hanlon and McGivern for the semi. I'd rest McGivern against Celtic along with 3 or 4 others, as you say the Celtic game hardly matters in the grand scheme of things.
    Agree we need to change Lewis from LB

ICT targeted him yesterday and put high balls up to the boy Draper who is 6ft 4 and brushed him aside as if he wasn't there

Was hoping after we lost first goal that Pat would swap back 4 around putting Lewis to RB put McGivern out onto Draper and Clancy into CH

Anyway hopefully get Hanlon in to allow MCGivern back out to LB

I think it has shown in the last few weeks how the back 4, including McPake has missed PH. Our best defender this season IMHO.

I'd better watch what I'm saying cos I'm getting it tight the day on other threads. ;-)

Sorry but what age is Hanlon? He was starting to play when I left Scotland...in 2007! Surely he no longer gets the 'young lad' tag??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Sorry but what age is Hanlon? He was starting to play when I left Scotland...in 2007! Surely he no longer gets the 'young lad' tag??
    He was 23 in January, I believe.

So, not exactly retirement age, but no longer can any 'just a young lad' excuse be made for him.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think it has shown in the last few weeks how the back 4, including McPake has missed PH. Our best defender this season IMHO.

I'd better watch what I'm saying cos I'm getting it tight the day on other threads. ;-)
    I wasn't keen on him coming into this season but he's become the most solid CH we've had in a long time. Personally I feel like he should be in line for a Scotland call-up and may attract a decent transfer fee if he has another good year.

The last few weeks show how vital Hanlon is to the time, it also shows McGivern is a LB not a CB. He gets a lot of stick but he is a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    So, not exactly retirement age, but no longer can any 'just a young lad' excuse be made for him.
    Steve o I am referring to his natural fitness as he is a young man... Nothing more.

Fair do's

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I think our best central defensive pairing is Hanlon and McGivern. Playing 4 natural central defenders across the back only seems to make us less effective going forward. I thought Clancey was poor yesterday and he also hardly crossed the half way line. At least the much malined Maybery gets up and down the park as does Stevenson. Add the 4 defenders to the 3 defensive midfield players that we field each week and it is no surprise we are grim to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    I think our best central defensive pairing is Hanlon and McGivern. Playing 4 natural central defenders across the back only seems to make us less effective going forward. I thought Clancey was poor yesterday and he also hardly crossed the half way line. At least the much malined Maybery gets up and down the park as does Stevenson. Add the 4 defenders to the 3 defensive midfield players that we field each week and it is no surprise we are grim to watch.
    You couldn't be more from the truth when talking about us being less effective going forward when we play Clancy, Mcpake, Hanlon, McGivern.

They have only played together 6 times, 4 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded, including a 3-0 and a 4-0 win... I think it allows our midfield to worry about going forward rather than be scared of what is behind them... When either one of them has been missing we have only kept 5 clean sheets in 26 games...

Which is why I have said for a long time, those four with Williams when fit are probably the best back 5 in the league, but weve been extremely unlucky with injuries throughout to 3 of them at least!