hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

McManaman tackle (Wigan v Magpies)

Did anyone see this last night on MOTD2? He did get a touch on the ball, but his follow through snapped the Newcastle player in half.

I do think the referee was unsighted but clearly the lino has been taking tips from Raymond Whyte on how not to see things.

I would assume McManaman will probably sit out a fair chunk of the remaining game for that one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The guy followed right through in my opinion, a disgraceful tackle and a leg breaker, he should be looking at 4 game ban at least, everyone saw it bar the officials of course, and that Mark Halsey must be one of the worst refs in the EPL by the way.

Now i've seen it, it looks bad.

The worst thing about it is the Newc boy had his leg planted which makes the impact much worse.

Sore one !

Although it's a disgraceful tackle. I think he tries so hoof the ball away and just gets beaten too it. Unlucky but looks very bad

the tackle yesterday was nothing compared to the one from France on Rangers former player Jeremy Clement .. the guy who did it got banned until June

Coaching Staff
    The ball spins back a bit in the bounce. He's trying to boot the ball at first then gets in a mess. Looks bad but don't think it was really meant.

Looks bad but he is definitely trying to get to the ball.

Careless rather than malicious imo.

A 50/50 challenge, as Ryan Stevenson would say.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A 50/50 challenge, as Ryan Stevenson would say.
    Its a man's game. This is a mountain out of a molehole

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    the tackle yesterday was nothing compared to the one from France on Rangers former player Jeremy Clement .. the guy who did it got banned until June

That's a shocker. Broken ankle/leg there?
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Fracture ouverte du tibia-péroné.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    It happened 2 weeks ago and Reports in France are his career is over

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Looks bad but he is definitely trying to get to the ball.

Careless rather than malicious imo.
    I would agree with that he is clearly looking to play the ball and then catches the guy accidently. Looks worse than it was IMO.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I would agree with that he is clearly looking to play the ball and then catches the guy accidently. Looks worse than it was IMO.
    I was watching the game, Jim, and the challenge looked very bad at the time. In afterthought and after sight, I have to say it looks a horrible challenge - not a 'tackle' in any real sense of the word - and could very well have done serious damage to Haidara. We won't know whether that damage IS serious, or whether Haidara has been lucky and the injury proves to be less serious than it appears, until we hear the hospital reports.

I shouls say, though, that the Newcastle coach is old enough and experienced enough to have known better than to go after McManaman at half-time

The only hopeful sign I took from the pictures was that McManaman hit Haidara above the knee rather than below - there's more muscle there and the bone is better protected and stronger than below the knee. Of course, the knee ligaments are just as vulnerable, and that's where the worry for Haidara's condition lies.

However, 'looking to play the ball' and 'catching the guy accidentally' really don't cut cut here, in my opinion. If that had been a Hearts player 'tackling' one of ours I think we'd have all been on here calling for the death penalty (at least) for the Jambo (and for the officials who missed the incident).

It was a very reckless challenge, at speed, studs up, 2 feet off the ground. Whether he touched the ball first is irrelevant - the follow-through was inevitably going to lead to a collision with Haidara's leg.

Maybe there's a natural sympathy with a young player making his debut, but however hyped-up McManaman was he has a responsibility to his fellow-professionals, a 'duty of care' which he should have observed. I can't see any way the FA can deal with him than with a fairly lengthy suspension.

I have to say I don't think that Martinez and Whelan are doing themselves any favours with what they're saying to the press. Not when it's still not clear how badly the Newcastle player is injured.

There's a fair bit of sense in what Robbie Savage says here - though I would still say that someone at Wigan urgently needs to take young McManaman aside and teach him how to tackle safely and legally.
    Last edited by --------; 18-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    However, 'looking to play the ball' and 'catching the guy accidentally' really don't cut cut here, in my opinion.

It was a very reckless challenge, at speed, studs up, 2 feet off the ground. Whether he touched the ball first is irrelevant - the follow-through was inevitably going to lead to a collision with Haidara's leg.

I have to say I don't think that Martinez and Whelan are doing themselves any favours with what they're saying to the press.
    What Martinez has been saying reeks of Pulis dribbling on about what a lovely lad Shawcross was when he'd just done his best to end Ramsey's career. Previously thought of those two managers as diametrically opposed in outlook.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post

What Martinez has been saying reeks of Pulis dribbling on about what a lovely lad Shawcross was when he'd just done his best to end Ramsey's career. Previously thought of those two managers as diametrically opposed in outlook.
    Yup. I accept that McManaman was making his debut and would have been well charged-up, but he can be the nicest lad in the EPL - the challenge was extremely reckless and a suspension's inevitable, surely.

As for Whelan's comments, anyone my age hearing the words 'over the ball' knows exactly what we're hearing - we're hearing about a thug deliberately tackling an opponent in such a way as to cause him injury while himself getting away scot-free. IMO that wasn't the case here - this was a case of a young and inexperienced player launching a reckless challenge that should have led to a red card and which needs to be dealt with by the FA with an appropriate suspension.

I can accept that there was no malicious intent, but that's not the point. The challenge was reckless and illegal. The referee missed it (seems clear enough to me he was unsighted), but his assistant should have picked it up and brought it to his attention. But the rules are clear - in these circumstances the FA can use TV evidence to deal with the situation - and I'm sure they will.
    Last edited by --------; 18-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Not sure he meant to injure the guy but the quality of the challenge was very poor and always likely to cause injury, Hertz class challenge, straight out of their coaching manual and Hertz linesman class as well, how didn't this guy see it?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I was watching the game, Jim, and the challenge looked very bad at the time. In afterthought and after sight, I have to say it looks a horrible challenge - not a 'tackle' in any real sense of the word - and could very well have done serious damage to Haidara. We won't know whether that damage IS serious, or whether Haidara has been lucky and the injury proves to be less serious than it appears, until we hear the hospital reports.

I shouls say, though, that the Newcastle coach is old enough and experienced enough to have known better than to go after McManaman at half-time

The only hopeful sign I took from the pictures was that McManaman hit Haidara above the knee rather than below - there's more muscle there and the bone is better protected and stronger than below the knee. Of course, the knee ligaments are just as vulnerable, and that's where the worry for Haidara's condition lies.

However, 'looking to play the ball' and 'catching the guy accidentally' really don't cut cut here, in my opinion. If that had been a Hearts player 'tackling' one of ours I think we'd have all been on here calling for the death penalty (at least) for the Jambo (and for the officials who missed the incident).

Maybe there's a natural sympathy with a young player making his debut, but however hyped-up McManaman was he has a responsibility to his fellow-professionals, a 'duty of care' which he should have observed. I can't see any way the FA can deal with him than with a fairly lengthy suspension.

I have to say I don't think that Martinez and Whelan are doing themselves any favours with what they're saying to the press. Not when it's still not clear how badly the Newcastle player is injured.

There's a fair bit of sense in what Robbie Savage says here - though I would still say that someone at Wigan urgently needs to take young McManaman aside and teach him how to tackle safely and legally.
    "John Guidetti scored a late winner as City's Elite Development Squad returned to winning ways against Wigan.
    However, the gloss was taken off the victory when former Barcelona youngster Gai Assulin was stretchered off in the 90th-minute following a
    reckless tackle by Latics' Callum McManaman which led to his second yellow and resulting red card.

As yet, there is no update on Assulin, who left the pitch in a leg brace, or the extent of his injury."

Didn't mean to harm the barcode, just a poor tackler.

I doubt the guy lying in hospital with his ligaments likely torn cares whether the tackle was deliberate or not. It was an absolute shocker.

Wigan haven't exactly covered themselves in glory since it either.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Horrible tackle if you can actually legitimise that by calling it a tackle. If you go in that high and reckless there is always the chance of a horrific outcome.

I think Newcastle will have plenty to say about Whelan's comments.

First Team Breakthrough TomoHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tamsen94
    i've seen worst

It's an absolutely horrendous challenge and I don't think the FA can have any choice other than to suspend McManaman for at least the next 4 or 5 games for that.

The comments since the game from Martinez and Whelan are also quite disappointing. No-one's suggesting that McManaman has intended to cause the guy any serious harm with that challenge. But that is really irrelevant when it comes to challenges like that.

It's not like handball, it doesn't need to be deliberate in order for it to be an offence. That is one of the worst challenges I have seen for quite some time and the Newcastle player is just fortunate that his career hasn't been ended as a result.

I'm quite sure that McManaman feels awful about it and I'm sure he is very remorseful. But it doesn't take away from the fact that it was a really terrible challenge and he needs to face the consequences.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    The fact he touched the ball first was irrelevant. You can't point the studs out like that, even if you are fully committed to winning the ball.

The stud rule is one of the better rules of the game and is there for very obvious reasons.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The boy never even got book for this one.

http://youtu.be/ovfYnZuO3QE
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

Saw this at the time, look closely at the changing angle of his foot, SHOCKER.....long ban coming his way.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy 7-0 View Post
    Saw this at the time, look closely at the changing angle of his foot, SHOCKER.....long ban coming his way.
    When you see it like that, it looks to me he knows what he's doing?