hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling good

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Feeling good

I like Fenlon.

Im happy with the progress he has made this season. (sorry I said the P word)

I feel that Petrie does his job well.

I like Taiwo, Doyle, Stevenson and maybury and think they're useful to have.

I can take last nights result on the chin, Motherwell are a good side.

I hate officials and feel that if they could do their jobs properly we'd have top six pretty much secured.

I still think we can get top six.

No matter what happens from now I'll still be looking forward to next season under paddy.

Anyone else feeling the same or am I just a deluded happy-clapper?

Also, if you disagree with me please tell me so and post your ridiculous cliched hyperboles about how bad everything at hibs is. Would be good to have them all in one place so that they can be easily found.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    I agree with everything you say, although last nights result is still raw so wouldn't say I'm feeling good about being £22 and a Friday night lighter

Quote Originally Posted by fergy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Fenlon.

I hate officials and feel that if they could do their jobs properly we'd have top six pretty much secured.

No matter what happens from now I'll still be looking forward to next season under paddy.

Also, if you disagree with me please tell me so and post your ridiculous cliched hyperboles about how bad everything at hibs is. Would be good to have them all in one place so that they can be easily found.
    Agree with all 8

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Agree with all 8
    Me too. Wouldn't go so far as to say I was feeling good after last night, but I am enjoying being a Hibby much more than i have for a few years.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibstrooper View Post
    I agree with everything you say, although last nights result is still raw so wouldn't say I'm feeling good about being £22 and a Friday night lighter
    Aye, that's fair enough!

Im sure if I'd gone through I'd be feeling worse

I like Fenlon.

I stay away from .net on the night of the result. There's a lot more sense about the next day. I agree with all of this.

I like Fenlon.

Agree with most of that except for two things. Firstly I expected us to make the top six, so whilst we've progressed we should have done better, and linked to that I don't see us making the top six - Dundee United have a game in hand and an easier run in.

I'm keeping the faith though.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Totally agree.

My expectations at Hibs are fairly modest, based on the last 30 years evidence.

Similarly, people calling for Fenlon to be sacked is just ridiculous. He's doing a reasonable job under difficult circumstances. Everyone's very quick to forget that he inherited a mess, has had injuries to key players and terrible referring to contend with.

It's high time we backed a manager for 2-3 years then make judgements!
    Last edited by hibbydog; 16-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.

I like Fenlon.

I'm on board!

I can't believe I have been having to defend Paddy so much on the 'Pat Fenlon' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Totally agree.

Similarly, people calling for Fenlon to be sacked is just ridiculous. He's doing a reasonable job under difficult circumstances. Everyone's very quick to forget that he inherited a mess, has had injuries to key players and terrible referring to contend with.

This.

I wasnt expecting top 6, and am comfortable with where we are now, but feel we should be aiming for better again next season. Here's hoping..

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Totally agree.

I hate seeing Hibs lose, but suprised myself at how well I felt afterwards. I guess I didnt feel cheated and know on another night we can do better. I thought Motherwell were very good and hope they push Celtic all the way. I dont think we do evening games well though!! Has anyone got any stats on that??
    Last edited by spike220; 16-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I agree with you

As far as I'm concerned the progress has been satisfactory up to this point. Next season there needs to be more though and I will be expecting both an improvement to the level of entertainment, and a top six finish will be an absolute must.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee_MYB View Post

I'm on board!

I can't believe I have been having to defend Paddy so much on the 'Pat Fenlon' thread.
    Not had the heart to trawl through the three pages, I can imagine the drivel being posted though.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I never expected to be top six. If we get it I am not so sure that we deserve it. Last night we were dismantled by a side that are a good few levels above us and gave us a real lesson. No complaints. This season isn't all about last night.

Not had the heart to trawl through the three pages, I can imagine the drivel being posted though.
    Wish I had done the same. I got involved early and I am too stubborn to let them have the last word..

I like Fenlon.

Completely agree. I think Fenlon is the only manager since Collins to have come in and actually improve the team and the situation he was handed, which was a very poor one. We've got a much stronger side to build and develop around now, and I think we will see more evidence of this next season. Also, this one is far from over.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Agree that the club is in a good position now. Yeh - we'd like to be in the top 3, but even if we had better players, there's no guarantee that would happen - part of football's attraction is that it's a game of chance, you never know whether you will get the rewards you deserve. We shouldn't have beaten Motherwell 0-4 earlier on, but we should have beaten Utd and Hearts if officials had done their job.

As to Pat Fenlon: he had two major jobs to do when he came in - completely change the atmopsphere around the club and improve the playing
    staff. For long enough we had short sighted posting on here saying "I don't care what a player does off the pitch, as long as he scores goals" - which ignores how ethos affects overall performance, and the eventual career trajectory of the players referred to reflects that. No doubt Hibs could have kept signing trouble makers who scored goals but we wouldn't have won anything that way - because of their influence on the rest of the team - especially youngtsers we're trying to bring through. Statistically, Hibs do quite well in the percentage of academy players who make it, but those who criticise the academy should look to some of the role models who were about the place under previous managers.

With limited cash, Fenlon has had to bring in better players who are also of the right approach. Everyone should be able to see the difficulty of that. He's done it with the keeper and a defence which, before the injuries, was a lot better than last season's. He's got in midfielders who will fight more than their predecessors, so are less likely to be over run, though sometimes are. That they are too small and too similar reflects our budget - but Craig's arrival shows an awareness of what we need to add.

Scoring forwards are always most difficult to find, afford, or promote from the youth side. We're lucky we have Griffiths just now. Clearly the hope was that Kuqi would do a Mixu or Brewster and be a target man who helped Leigh and others to score. At the stage he is in his career, that's always gonna be a 50/50 chance and unfortunately it hasn't worked. Happens to all managers.

Fenlon therefore is left with little alternative to the style he plays: we have only one effective forward, a midfield that is too small and similar, so needs packing, and, currently, full backs who need supporting. 4-5-1 is the obvious way.

I think the manager has acomplished the turn round of ethos and will look to build on that; Harris looked great last night; he's looking at defenders, with Craig and possibly Wylde to come in the summer, you can see he's building incrementally. he has no other option.

He has enough knowledge to build step by step within his means; unfortunately many supporters can't live with that approach.

Me? Looking across the city and across the Forth, I'm just happy I can go and watch Hibs every week and look forward to future generations doing the same.

Carry on Pat!
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I never expected to be top six. If we get it I am not so sure that we deserve it. Last night we were dismantled by a side that are a good few levels above us and gave us a real lesson. No complaints. This season isn't all about last night.
    And that is the best comment I've seen so far.

Some of the knee jerking over on the MB is embarrasing. We are work in progress. And we ARE progressing. I wonder what they will say if we go on and make it our year for THAT cup!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Just renewed my 3 ST's on the Payment Plan....

Agree with the OP, but don't think we'd miss Doyle.

As much as I absolutely hate results like last night- I am happy with the way Hibs are going, and feel so much better about being a Hibby this season than the past few years. I remeber a few yrs ago when one season I didn't even renew my Hibs TV !
    I too, don't read all the doom & gloom on other pages.. That kinda Scottish attitude is why I left Scotland in the 1st place..

Last night was a horror, we're still not quite there- but we will be and in the meantime, I'm enjoying the cup run.

Proud to be a Happy clapper. Always proud to be a Hibs fan.

:pfgwa

A sad indictment on the years of mismanagement that so many believe its acceptable to finish 7th or worse in a league,without rangers.

A sad indictment on the years of mismanagement that so many believe its acceptable to finish 7th or worse in a league,without rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Add in a hugely weakened Hearts team and its almost beyond belief. Some folk are actually feeling good about it which leaves me bemused to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There is improvement in the team from last year(difficult not to be without getting relegated) but If we finish bottom six this year it is a big failure imo as it will be for Aberdeen, Hearts, St Mirren and whoever else finishes there. Moaning about a few refereeing decisions ignores the mid season slump where we hardly won a league match.

As for the players mentioned by the OP they are mediocre at best and we have a few too many like them but hopefully Fenlon can add a better standard next season if we sell enough season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee_MYB View Post

I'm on board!

You think that thread is bad? Have a look at the Pat Fenlon:Football Manager thread from last year.

Agree with the OP on everything, though I don't think we'll get top 6 anymore.

Still, looking forward to the semi and hopefully another final under Paddy :pfgwa

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Agree that the club is in a good position now. Yeh - we'd like to be in the top 3, but even if we had better players, there's no guarantee that would happen - part of football's attraction is that it's a game of chance, you never know whether you will get the rewards you deserve. We shouldn't have beaten Motherwell 0-4 earlier on, but we should have beaten Utd and Hearts if officials had done their job.

As to Pat Fenlon: he had two major jobs to do when he came in - completely change the atmopsphere around the club and improve the playing
    staff. For long enough we had short sighted posting on here saying "I don't care what a player does off the pitch, as long as he scores goals" - which ignores how ethos affects overall performance, and the eventual career trajectory of the players referred to reflects that. No doubt Hibs could have kept signing trouble makers who scored goals but we wouldn't have won anything that way - because of their influence on the rest of the team - especially youngtsers we're trying to bring through. Statistically, Hibs do quite well in the percentage of academy players who make it, but those who criticise the academy should look to some of the role models who were about the place under previous managers.

With limited cash, Fenlon has had to bring in better players who are also of the right approach. Everyone should be able to see the difficulty of that. He's done it with the keeper and a defence which, before the injuries, was a lot better than last season's. He's got in midfielders who will fight more than their predecessors, so are less likely to be over run, though sometimes are. That they are too small and too similar reflects our budget - but Craig's arrival shows an awareness of what we need to add.

Scoring forwards are always most difficult to find, afford, or promote from the youth side. We're lucky we have Griffiths just now. Clearly the hope was that Kuqi would do a Mixu or Brewster and be a target man who helped Leigh and others to score. At the stage he is in his career, that's always gonna be a 50/50 chance and unfortunately it hasn't worked. Happens to all managers.

Fenlon therefore is left with little alternative to the style he plays: we have only one effective forward, a midfield that is too small and similar, so needs packing, and, currently, full backs who need supporting. 4-5-1 is the obvious way.

I think the manager has acomplished the turn round of ethos and will look to build on that; Harris looked great last night; he's looking at defenders, with Craig and possibly Wylde to come in the summer, you can see he's building incrementally. he has no other option.

He has enough knowledge to build step by step within his means; unfortunately many supporters can't live with that approach.

Me? Looking across the city and across the Forth, I'm just happy I can go and watch Hibs every week and look forward to future generations doing the same.

Carry on Pat!

I agree with every single word.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Spot on. I came back from Kilmarnock the other week high as a kite and last night the complete opposite. There have been some highs this season, (Hearts , Celtic etc), and some real disappointments,( QOS, Ross County etc)and I hope there is a couple of highs to come yet. I don`t know who recommended the likes of Kuji and Done to him but Fenlon has been let down by both. I have to agree that I don`t like the style of play but I can see what he is trying to do. The danger for Fenlon is that he will run out of time and next season will be the real for him test both in results and style of football.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BauerPower911
    I like Fenlon.

Motherwell are a good side but we are a bigger club and should be better than we are. Still, I'm pleased with the progress and it's good to see Harris get a go. Taiwo, Doyle, Stevenson and maybury all seem to be hard working Pro's who i'm sure set a good example to the kids at the club. We do need to find better to progress further. Happy to keep stevenson. maybury is a bit passed it now, never mind another season.

:fenlon

First Team Breakthrough sparkiedelpaco7's Avatar
    I like Fenlon.

I personally dont think Lewis or Maybury are good enough but except from that I agree with the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post

Carry on Pat!