hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Regular GORDONSMITH7's Avatar

Pat Stanton,Pat Fenlon,Rod Petrie attending Founding Fathers Plaque unveiling

Dear members and friends,

As per our previous updates, hopefully you are by now aware of our lengthy and detailed discussion with the Archdiocese, Trustees and Parish of St Patrick’s to present the commemorative plaque within St Patrick’s parish, the first ever acknowledgement of the Birth place of the Hi-Bees.

Its therefore with added pride we can also now announce we have confirmation from Hibernian that both Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon, along with other representatives from the club, will attend our unveiling. We will also be joined by representation from the Hibernian Supporters Association, and proudest of all, that our Branch Patron and legend Pat Stanton will do the honours at St Patricks, Cowgate, on Sunday 17th March.

The Parish of St Patrick’s has extend their invitation to all our members and friends to attend and I am sure, ‘if you know your history’ you will be extremely proud that your Branch is making a little bit of history next Sunday, I would therefore ask that all our members attend to see that history being made.

The detailed plan is to unveil the plaque, located at the back of the church after 11am mass, and although this gives the opportunity to attend both the ( St Patrick’s Day) mass and the unveiling, where seating for the mass will be reserved for as many branch members as possible, the parish is aware our Branch is made up from all faiths and those of no faith, and therefore the welcome is to attend whatever is preferred by individuals, the unveiling itself will be around 12 noon and for those only attending the unveiling ceremony I would advise being at back of the church for 11.45.

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As per our previous updates, hopefully you are by now aware of our lengthy and detailed discussion with the Archdiocese, Trustees and Parish of St Patrick’s to present the commemorative plaque within St Patrick’s parish, the first ever acknowledgement of the Birth place of the Hi-Bees.

Its therefore with added pride we can also now announce we have confirmation from Hibernian that both Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon, along with other representatives from the club, will attend our unveiling. We will also be joined by representation from the Hibernian Supporters Association, and proudest of all, that our Branch Patron and legend Pat Stanton will do the honours at St Patricks, Cowgate, on Sunday 17th March.

The Parish of St Patrick’s has extend their invitation to all our members and friends to attend and I am sure, ‘if you know your history’ you will be extremely proud that your Branch is making a little bit of history next Sunday, I would therefore ask that all our members attend to see that history being made.

The detailed plan is to unveil the plaque, located at the back of the church after 11am mass, and although this gives the opportunity to attend both the ( St Patrick’s Day) mass and the unveiling, where seating for the mass will be reserved for as many branch members as possible, the parish is aware our Branch is made up from all faiths and those of no faith, and therefore the welcome is to attend whatever is preferred by individuals, the unveiling itself will be around 12 noon and for those only attending the unveiling ceremony I would advise being at back of the church for 11.45.

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH
    Great to hear officially that the Club will be represented. Well done to all involved. Looking forward to witnessing a piece of history

Great work by those who organised plaque .

Excellent. Well done to all involved in making this happen.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH
    Great stuff!!! I cant be there, I live in Auckland now, but I grew up going to St Pats Church.

This is a very proud day. I will be thinking of you all!

On a related issue, many of you will have noted that a bust of Cannon Hannan was commissioned and handed over to the Football Club a couple of years ago, it is still on display in the reception foyer of the West Stand at the stadium. (there is also a copy in the Supporters club in Sunnyside)
    A second bust, this one of co-founder Michael Whelahan (Pat Stanton's great, great uncle), is in the process of being sculpted and will be cast when sufficient funds have been raised. Some of you may have already donated to this project. St Pat's branch and other have been and will be holding fund raising events and I am sure that they will be advertised in the near future.
    ( I am aware that there has been some comments, especially on the Bounce, about what happened to the money that has already been donated, some of you may know, the cost of sculpting and casting in bronze does not come cheap, so until the full amount has been raised we can not proceed to handing over the sculpture to the foundry, hopefully by the end of the season).

Will try to get along to this.

Well done to all involved.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Will be there
    St Pats born, bred and educated (although it would be my first time at Mass in a long while)
    Cannot wait Dougie and well done on a most worthwhile initiative.

SY

Any chance of getting this on the Hibs FC website?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Bump

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Well done to all involved, hope someone can get some photos up later.

Would have liked to attend this if I was in the Burgh but will definitely make a pilgrimage (at the risk of being struck down by lightening) when I'm back.

That was quite an emotional occassion this morning.
    Lovely words from Rod who has been reading up on his Lugton. Also Sir Pat and a few jumbled up ones from Dougie McLeod!

HGSP Dear Saint of our Isle!

Fantastic turn out & club well represented. Well done to all involved & great to be part of a bit of history. Pity my camera battery was flat & will return again for pics. Few good words from RP Glory Glory

These were posted by Jamie from Hibees Bounce. I'm sure he won't mind

Last edited by FranckSuzy; 17-03-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: More photos

Fantastic pic

Amazingly, only 14 posts and not a lot of interest in this thread, significant to the club, while there are close to 5 times this banging their gums together on another thread about a bunch of fans that have **** all to do with us and come from the other side of the country.
    How sad is that, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Amazingly, only 14 posts and not a lot of interest in this thread, significant to the club, while there are close to 5 times this banging their gums together on another thread about a bunch of fans that have **** all to do with us and come from the other side of the country.
    How sad is that, seriously?
    It is disappointing.
    This is something we can all take pride in, I will certainly make a trip down to see the plaque for myself as soon as I can. Well done again to all involved.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Fantastic occassion. A packed out church and a real coming together of all parts of the Hibs family to formally acknowledge the birth place of our club with the unveiling of a magnificent plaque.

Congratulations to all concerned including the Board who attended en masse and the fashionably late Pat Fenlon . Also Fr Joe and the regular parishoners of St Pats who made us all very welcome.

Finally, tremendous credit to the St Pats branch boys and girls for their vision and fund raising activities which brought all this to fruition. I know that while fund raising for the plaque they have also found time to support various charities. Commemorating our founding fathers and also actively continuing their charitable ethos.
    Last edited by Brizo; 17-03-2013 at 03:41 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    It was a great occasion on a great day! God bless Hibernian.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Absolutely superb, well done to all involved!!

Well done to all involved.

Was hoping to make it down but managed to sleep in after a night drinking.

Pretty much why I stopped going to mass years ago! Will definitely pop in and see the plaque though.

Well done all concerned.

Good to read this. Can you pop in at any time? Would love to take the kids along to see it over the Easter break.

@hibs.net private member
    Knew a plaque was being planned by the St Pat's branch but didn't know when it was being unveiled. So glad I was there this morning. Lovely atmosphere in the church and great to see so many Hibees in attendance. The speeches were top drawer too - even enjoyed the wee slip-ups.
    Well done to all concerned - haste ye back.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Some pictures from the unveiling this morning.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1021009...eat=directlink

It really was a terrific occasion, carried out with great dignity which did Hibernian FC proud. Congratulations to everyone involved for making this happen, and a lasting tribute that will be there for years to come for all Hibs supporters to visit. (Apologies to Pat Fenlon for my infant daughter continually kicking him during the unveiling., but after Friday night her frustrations were understandable)

It would appear the score from Hampden has come through in picture 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Some pictures from the unveiling this morning.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1021009...eat=directlink

It really was a terrific occasion, carried out with great dignity which did Hibernian FC proud. Congratulations to everyone involved for making this happen, and a lasting tribute that will be there for years to come for all Hibs supporters to visit. (Apologies to Pat Fenlon for my infant daughter continually kicking him during the unveiling., but after Friday night her frustrations were understandable)
    Would you mind if we use your pictures on our website?

Thanks for all the comments guys, it was a great day. Good to see a strong turn out by the club too, especially "Fat Penlon"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Good to read this. Can you pop in at any time? Would love to take the kids along to see it over the Easter break.
    Most Catholic churches are open throughout the day for anyone to enter. Even if it's locked a knock on the Priests door will usually see you allowed in without too much bother.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by St Pats Branch View Post
    Would you mind if we use your pictures on our website?
    Not at all, you are more than welcome