hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Run for the Split (merged)

There are 8 games before the split and I think 10 teams (omitting Celtic and Dundee) can claim one of the remaining 5 spots. Noticed that with Ross County winning last night, they move within 2 points of us and level on points with Aberdeen. I think we've got 8 hard games coming up, and we need to win at least 3 of the home ones.
    Hibs pre split
    Home St Johnstone
    Away St Mirren
    Away Dundee Utd
    Home Kilmarnock
    Home Hearts
    Away Motherwell
    Home Inverness
    Away Celtic

Some real tough fixtures and we need really need a result on Monday

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are 8 games before the split and I think 10 teams (omitting Celtic and Dundee) can claim one of the remaining 5 spots. Noticed that with Ross County winning last night, they move within 2 points of us and level on points with Aberdeen. I think we've got 8 hard games coming up, and we need to win at least 3 of the home ones.
    Hibs pre split
    Home St Johnstone
    Away St Mirren
    Away Dundee Utd
    Home Kilmarnock
    Home Hearts
    Away Motherwell
    Home Inverness
    Away Celtic

All these games look winnable while, on current form, can find reasons to struggle too. Makes for a very interesting and nail biting run in to the season. Am quite confident that we will have a wee push in the right direction as we have hopefully had our dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Hibs pre split

Home St Johnstone 3 1
    Away St Mirren 1 0
    Away Dundee Utd 0 0
    Home Kilmarnock 3 3
    Home Hearts 3 1
    Away Motherwell 1 1
    Home Inverness 1 1
    Away Celtic 0 0

The first column is what I would expect us to get, second column is what i THINK we will get...

It is a tough run in to the split and I cannot see us finishing top 6 unless we improve.

@hibs.net private member

Pre Split games

Had a look at our games before the split and reckon we need at least 12 points to be secure of a place. We have 4 home games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Kilmarnock. All of these are winable against competitors for the top 6. (I don't see Hearts making it they have to be viewed as contenders).

We also have away games against St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Celtic.

Doesn't seem a shoe in for wins against that group. It would be a disaster not to make the top half after the start to the season. Anyone else share my concerns?

For what it is worth I think we shall succeed in reaching the top half.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    We've got to aim for maximum points out of those home games obviously tomorrow's game and hearts will be tough but we should be looking to take the lot, I'd also be confident of taking at least a point at st mirren and Motherwell.
    As long as we've secured top 6 before the last game needing something from Celtic park would be a nightmare

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    i think we need another 10 points and that would be enough for top 6 as all the other teams will take points of each other, but it would be tight. hope im right cause bottom six would be a disaster.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Had a look at our games before the split and reckon we need at least 12 points to be secure of a place. We have 4 home games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Inverness CT. All of these are winable against competitors for the top 6. (I don't see Hearts making it they have to be viewed as contenders).

We also have away games against St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Celtic.

Doesn't seem a shoe in for wins against that group. It would be a disaster not to make the top half after the start to the season. Anyone else share my concerns?

For what it is worth I think we shall succeed in reaching the top half.
    Fixed that for Ya

Re the prospect of missing the top 6 - Disaster? No. Disappointing? Very!

Like you say it's no shoe in but, we have added to the squad in January and hopefully that provides the spark we need to provide a positive end to this season in the league.

First Team Breakthrough DanHFC1875's Avatar
    I think we'll make top six and blunder our way into the semi final of scottish cup. The eternal optimist, signing off. Over.

5 points

5 points separating 2nd to 9th. Saturday is massive! Any of those teams could finish top 6 if luck goes there way. Season will get exciting now I think, maybe see some bigger crowds.

We have 6 games before the split and they're all extremely tough. With the exception of Hearts and Dundee Utd, all the sides we're due to play are in the top six and even Dundee Utd are on the same number of points as Kilmarnock, who are 6th.

It will be by no means easy but I think if we manage to get another 7-9 points between now and the split then we'll be in the top six.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's exciting for sure. Imagine if celtc were not here. Most exciting league ever!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    5 points separating 2nd to 9th. Saturday is massive! Any of those teams could finish top 6 if luck goes there way. Season will get exciting now I think, maybe see some bigger crowds.
    Sunday will be massive too, we have three really hard away fixtures before the split.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I think any run of fixtures could be seen as a tough run in to the split, that's how tight it is this season.

Armageddon ooft

Take out Celtc and Dundee from the equation, and it looks like the most exciting and intriguing league Season for years......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Armageddon ooft

Take out Celtc and Dundee from the equation, and it looks like the most exciting and intriguing league Season for years......
    True. Just get rid ay celtc and it would be an exciting league. Ok, no much quality but at least we would have a genuinely competitive league with no stand out

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M6hibee View Post
    True. Just get rid ay celtc and it would be an exciting league. Ok, no much quality but at least we would have a genuinely competitive league with no stand out
    18 points required and safe passage through to semi finals or heads will role haha

Run for the Split

For those who believe that Top 6 is worth achieving, its squeeky bum time. And so ignoring implosions from the teams above...

HIBS.... 39pts.... 0 GD Tentative Prediction: 4 pts FINAL: 43
    Baker Boys at Easter Road
    The McFadden revival at Fir Park
    Butchers Boys at Easter Road
    The Copycats at Celtic Park

KILMARNOCK..... 38pts...... +6 GD Tentative Prediction: 5 pts FINAL: 43
    St Johnstone (A)
    Ross County (A)
    St Mirren (H)
    Dundee (H)

DUNDEE UTD...... 38pts....... -5 GD Tentative Prediction: 6 pts FINAL: 44
    St Mirren (A)
    Dundee (H)
    St Johnstone (A)
    Aberdeen (H)

ABERDEEN...... 37pts....... -3 GD Tentative Prediction: 4 pts FINAL: 41
    Motherwell (H)
    Celtic (A)
    Hearts (H)
    Dundee Utd (A)

St Johnstone play Killie and Dundee United. Should both these matches result in draws, it will help keep all three teams down.

First Team Regular
    Spl this season results wise is a complete lottery!

Hearts hit the skids a bit and Caley going through a poor patch (I think) so they should(?) be chances for a win?

It's going to be really tough to call it.

We have a really hard run in before the split as we play the current top three sides...and Hearts.

Everyone from Motherwell in 2nd down to Aberdeen in 9th will be looking for a place in the top six and with there only being six points separating those eight teams, it's really not possible to say at the moment.

All we can do is try to win our games and hope that when the others play each other, they keep drawing and taking points from each other.

@hibs.net private member
    Unfortunately I believe the two points we were cheated out of on Sunday will see us finish seventh.

The only way I can see us getting in top six is if we beat Hearts ICT and draw with either Celtic or Well

Think Killie will get 7 points and Utd 8 so may come down to goal difference

Still an improvement on last season but slightly disappointing if we don't make it after our early season promise

First Team Breakthrough
    It's possible, we could get the top 6, but we need a bit of luck and some decisions from the refs, if we play with the desire that was shown in the final 10 mins of the game tonight we will get top 6.

Very tough run in!!

Next 4 league fixtures must be the hardest out all mid table teams looking to get into top 6!!

Hearts(h) Motherwell(a) inverness(h) Celtic(a)

Now I'm confident we will beat the yams but form goes out the window on a derby so it's a tough game, great result for Motherwell last night who seem to be the favourites for 2nd, Inverness cd go either way I remember outplaying them in 1st half at ER earlier in season 2-0 up goin on 4 an 2nd half was like watching 2 dif teams we were lucky to walk away wi a point IMO, then Celtic away last game before split speaks for itself

2 wins may well be enough if say 7 points wd see us there

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds green View Post
    Next 4 league fixtures must be the hardest out all mid table teams looking to get into top 6!!

Now I'm confident we will beat the yams but form goes out the window on a derby so it's a tough game, great result for Motherwell last night who seem to be the favourites for 2nd, Inverness cd go either way I remember outplaying them in 1st half at ER earlier in season 2-0 up goin on 4 an 2nd half was like watching 2 dif teams we were lucky to walk away wi a point IMO, then Celtic away last game before split speaks for itself

GGTTH
    I'm not sure we have the momentum at the moment to pull off the wins we need to make top six. Home draws like last night are killing us.

I would be happy with 4-5points out of those games, its a pitty that our last 4games are hard fixtures because i feeel we deserve top 6 this year, its just results against Ross Co and Dundee that let us down. Wee need to go for broke in all gamess but also need to pick up points!!

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Would you swap bottom 6 for a Guranteed Cup Final spot?

I would.

J

I'd rather have both TBH why does it have to be one or the other?

It will be interesting to see the make up of the top 6 and who played who twice at home and once away and vice versa. We've always been told that it balances out with Oldco and Celtic but this season that's not the case anymore.

I could see 7th and 8th this year getting more points than 5th and 6th after split! Wish there was no split this year, as i can see the table being this close to the last day (apart from dundee and yams). Would of made a great lastday of the season!

Last two home games have made it really tough for us...

Of the teams below us, Killie have two away games (St J & Ross Co) followed by home games against St M & Dundee.
    Dundee Utd's games look easier as well. St M (a) Dundee (h), St J (a) and Aberdeen (h)
    Motherwell, ICT & Ross County all have a game in hand.

I fear we will fall short but predicting results in the SPL this season has been near impossible.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds green View Post

GGTTH
    If you have a look at the derbies over the years I'm sure that the vast majority go with form. We usually beat them when they are pish