hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bottom 6 - good or bad? (merged)

Would it be a bad thing? I honestly can't see us finishing 2nd so would we be better off finishing 7th or 8th rather than 4th/5th or 6th. As it stands we'd be in the bottom 6 with the yams, the 2 Dundee clubs, Aberdeen and St Mirren. Much more appetizing for me than ICT, Ross County, Motherwell, Killie and St Johnstone. And before anyone starts, the prize money aint that different. Only £60k a place for the middle of the table.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Yes it would be a bad thing. Apart from anything else, we don't want the Merricks benefiting from a home Derby!

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Bottom six = massive failure! We would need to look at the set up again as the manger would have failed!
    I've no idea what we are building at ER but it sure is a slow process! Remember next year will be even worse as we are unlikely to have Super Leigh.

Looks like End of season party on Sunday, must win (get through to the next round even after replay)

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would it be a bad thing? I honestly can't see us finishing 2nd so would we be better off finishing 7th or 8th rather than 4th/5th or 6th. As it stands we'd be in the bottom 6 with the yams, the 2 Dundee clubs, Aberdeen and St Mirren. Much more appetizing for me than ICT, Ross County, Motherwell, Killie and St Johnstone. And before anyone starts, the prize money aint that different. Only £60k a place for the middle of the table.
    Why is 2nd the only thing to aim at? Rather have at shot at Euro qualification than donate some liquid capital to the Gorgie unwashed in the lower reaches of the table.

Don't you care about getting into Europe? And you get a lot more for finishing 2nd than you do for finishing in the bottom six. And then there's the tv money we would miss out on, because who wants to watch bottom six also rans on the tv, especially when they play as bad football as Hibs do most of the time?

So yes, it would be a bad thing. But then again, if it means we get rid of Fenlon, maybe it would be for the best in the long run - there's plenty of good managers looking for a job at the moment.

Bottom six would be poor as we'd be playing poorer sides. Just because they're ***** no reason we have to be.

@hibs.net private member hibeesjoe's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: catcabbage
    Another absolutely sh@* season if we are bottom six. We should really be marching away with 2nd if we had played any sorts of consistent football.

Am I missing something though? There's no Champions league this year for 2nd place and only 2 places in the league have a UEFA place. The other one goes to the Scottish cup. So finishing 4th gets you nothing .

Scrap that, goal for Hibs 1-1 .

I can understand the point that what is the difference between 10th and 3rd when a toss of a coin is all that is between teams. The split struggles to motivate as there is not that much to play for. One euro game (and likely defeat against Transylvania part timers) apart there is no huge benefit.
    However, pride in our football club should dictate we aim for the top at all times .
    Plus I don't think we should give them a final (yes THE LAST EVER) derby at the peedodrome!

Quote Originally Posted by hibeesjoe View Post
    Another absolutely sh@* season if we are bottom six. We should really be marching away with 2nd if we had played any sorts of consistent football.
    Herts could be in top 6 , end up with less points than Dundee following the inevitable points deduction. But if in top half they can't relegated??

A higher league placing means more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    A higher league placing means more money.

Not much though. Only £60k per place.

Friday 5th April 2013

Close CLYDESDALE BANK SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE
    Show last 5 matches and coverage Fixture Kick-off Status
    Show v 19:45
    Saturday 6th April 2013

Close CLYDESDALE BANK SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE
    Show last 5 matches and coverage Fixture Kick-off Status
    Show v 12:00
    Show v 15:00
    How can you have top 6 final league standings to be decided with three staggered kick off times...v poor by SPL.

Just read that statement back to yourself out loud a couple of times. Then take into account that we didn't have the 50-60k required to get Craig here now, as opposed to the end of the season.

Absurd statement IMO

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    Bottom six = massive failure! We would need to look at the set up again as the manger would have failed!
    I've no idea what we are building at ER but it sure is a slow process! Remember next year will be even worse as we are unlikely to have Super Leigh.

Looks like End of season party on Sunday, must win (get through to the next round even after replay)
    I bet party's round your house are a blast.

Testimonial Due
    Dime Bar?

First Team Breakthrough LioNeilMessi's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: soakingdisk795
    Bottom 6 games are the worst: players don't care, atmosphere is generally rubbish and the crowds are down. For the first couple of post split matches, at the very least, we would have something to play for if we make 6th or higher.

60k a place is worth making a bit of effort for surely...2 places will pay for a decent players wages for a season

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

The parties are wild mate! I'm am a party animal!

I take it your disagree with my statement? Bottom 6 is defo failure i can't see it any other way!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Why would anyone want to finish bottom six? Ok, the leagues flipped upside down this year and we might get bigger games in the last round of matches and another derby, but then we lose prize money for every league place we slip, we can still qualify for europe in third and just for the sake of pride.

And despite our fairly poor run we're still only 4 points off 2nd anyway.

If we're bottom 6 for the third year in a row there will be less money there, less fans there and less everything.

Fenlon sacked of bottom 6. Complete failure.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Heard a wee bit different down your house tho bud ;-)

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    60k for a place is about £1150 per week to sign new players with...
    Hibernian Football Club

are u serious? Have some pride id rather finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5 or 6th than finishing in the bottom 6. Finishing in top 6 wud help bring better quality players in, possibly keeping players and a better reputation. Accepting finishing in the bottom 6 is just cr@p

With the way the league is going this season, if we get into the top six, we're likely to still be in with a shout of finishing 2nd and actually have something to play for in the final five matches.

If we end up in the bottom six then we'll have absolutely nothing to play for during the last five matches and the season will be over. Plus, as others have already pointed out, if they also finish in the bottom six then we're effectively giving them a bumper pay day from having another derby at Tynecastle.

That should be avoided at all costs.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Dime Bar?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    The parties are wild mate! I'm am a party animal!

I take it your disagree with my statement? Bottom 6 is defo failure i can't see it any other way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell The Dug View Post
    If we're bottom 6 for the third year in a row there will be less money there, less fans there and less everything.

Fenlon sacked of bottom 6. Complete failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell The Dug View Post
    Heard a wee bit different down your house tho bud ;-)
    Both of you are too miserable to have a good time at any party, in fact i'd bet you were moaning about the goal we conceded against kilmarnock at hampden that much the party passed you by.

Not much though. Only £60k per place.
    Can add up to a significant number if it's the difference between 5th and 8th for example.

Left by mutual consent!
    60K could go towards a nominal transfer fee for someone or a year's, or part of a year, salary for a player. No way we are better off in the bottom six.

Say we do finish bottom 6 and get home games v Aberdeen and Dundee United. OK, they would bring more fans than the likes of ICT, Ross Co etc but they'll not bring that many for what would be meaningless games. Plus the home crowds won't turn out for bottom 6 games which mean little. So, for Aberdeen at home in the bottom 6, you might get a crowd of around 8k and for Dundee United around 7-7.5k.

If we were playing ICT, Ross County or whoever and chasing European places with the games being pivotal, you might get around 10 or 11k at least coming to ER.

I remember thinking a while back that as long as PF made us competive this season and pushing for the top 6 rather than fighting relegation then this could be seen as progress. Whatever happens now, he has achieved this. I don't think he deserves massive pats on the back if we don't make the top 6 though, it just means he keeps his job for next season.

The way the SPL is you don't need to be Sir Alex Ferguson to turn a bottom 2 side into a top 2 side in the space of a season so asking PF to get us into the top 6 this season was not a tall order. If he fails to deliver this then he doesn't deserve the sack but he certainly doesn't deserve plaudits for another bottom 6 finish.

Finishing in the bottom 6 could be very good.

Imagine the scenario, the gimps are deducted 18 points and are bottom. Last day of the season they need to beat Dundee to stay up as long as St Mirren lose, St Mirren are at home to Hibs.

Would you accept us playing a weakened side, especially if we are in the cup final?