hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Mcgivern quality?

All I have seen is praise for this young man, but I can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but I just don't reckon him personally.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by M6hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I have seen is praise for this young man, but I can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but I just don't reckon him personally.
    I rate him, I think he is good on the ball and shows a willingness to get forward and join in attacks whenever possible. He is prone to the odd mistake, like most players are, but I think he is better at centre-back than left-back.

Is there anything positive at all about Hibs?

I think you're possibly being a bit harsh there. I think McGivern is excellent in the air and is great on the ball going forward. The one area I agree with you is he has the tendency to make rash challenges, and often with the wrong foot. He got away with one yesterday after giving away the penalty against St Johnstone. He's made two bad challenges in the last few games, but over the season has been solid and dependable for us.

Deary bloody me

First it was chicken dances and ****** bibs and now this keech

Left by mutual consent!
    I never really noticed how bad he actually was until you posted all of that.

Left by mutual consent!
    You should just remove the ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is there anything positive at all about Hibs?
    Aye there is and I find it confusing you jump from criticism of one player to insinuate I'm a doom and gloom merchant. Strange. I really enjoyed yesterday's display and feel if we can be brave enough to press and attack like that we will win more than we lose and we have a bright future. I just don't personally feel mcgivern is as good as some would make out

Testimonial Due
    McGivern has a lot of quality, he is above our usual standard and will go on to bigger and better things imo. I've said it a few times on here but I reckon he would be a better midfielder than a defender as he looks really good going forward but he has had a few costly mistakes in defence

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Deary bloody me

First it was chicken dances and ****** bibs and now this keech
    You would know about keech I guess

@hibs.net private member
    McGivern is a very good player. Our best defender, imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Any way just an opinion. Think ill leave this thread, which I regret starting, before I get accused if being a yam!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    It's all part of the master plan so nobody else wants him and we then sign him on a 3 year deal.

McGivern is quality and after watching him yesterday, bar his silly trip, for me confirmed that he is. Never flustered or panicked on the ball and got up the park. Would love to see him signed up long term.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I think someone's in line for the ****** bib..

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    It's all part of the master plan so nobody else wants him and we then sign him on a 3 year deal.
    Well we need to try harder then. He (defensively) had an off day by his own standards yesterday but he still looked quality to me.

The thing about McGivern is hes confident, so he sees a lot of the ball. He's not a 'quick someones passed the ball to me so i must get rid of it quickly before i make a mistake' sort of fullback. He'll try onetwos, beating a player with pace and intelligent through balls. He'll also take chances to make interceptions rather than sit behind the attacker. So sometimes it can look like he makes the odd mistake. Thats the only explanation i can think of for you missing his quality

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Like yur thinking Scoops. Get Williams on extended deal and both Leigh and McGivern in 3 year deals.

I really do hope Leigh sees that his short term future (at least 3 years) lies at ER.

His performance yesterday showed that with his hard work and effort along with his undoubted ability has the making of a Legend at the club.

He wins the vast majority of Ben Williams' kick outs, so the aerial ability criticism isn't fair.

You don't get many perfect full backs, very few will be able to deal with every wingers they face. McGivern's fine, and still young. Being caughtnout by Humphrey or Mackay-Steven doesn't make him a bad player.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m6hibee View Post
    all i have seen is praise for this young man, but i can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but i just don't reckon him personally.
    ltyf

Any way just an opinion. Think ill leave this thread, which I regret starting, before I get accused if being a yam!
    I wouldn't take it personally mate. I just think that there are posters on here who are not prepared to have anything even remotely critical posted - especially after a good performance.

This is a forum for Hibs fans to post their opinions on all things Hibs. You are a Hibs fan and that is your opinion so I don't see the problem.

For what it's worth I also disagree with you though as McGivern is quality

If he had no flaws, then he would be in Manchester City's starting line up instead of being out on loan.

He is a very good young player who has the potential to go quite a long way in the game and he is one of the best defenders we have had for quite some time.

Let's just enjoy seeing him perform for Hibs whilst we still can.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Not read the other replies, but...

He is one of our best options in the air. Pay attention next time Williams launches a ball up the left wing; he's there and he'll win it.

Shocking error? He done the right thing, ref cocked it up. Last 5 minutes of the game, guy gets past the defender and is heading into the box the right thing to do is take him down, take the booking and defend the free-kick.

He's a quality player and I'd be delighted if we got him after this loan spell.
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think he is a little overrated I don't really think he is as good as some make out and he does give away silly fouls at times. I suppose it's because he is a clear improvement on the utter garbage we have endured over the past few seasons that he is viewed better than he is. However I do think he does have decent plus points, is generally compentant and I would be happy enough to see him make the move permenent.

I actually think he is better at center back.

Guy who watched game at mine yesterday said he was worst hibs player. I didn't really agree to be fair.

I think he's pish. Get rid of him. We don't need passengers. Also, why did we keep Sparky anyway? He's gash tae!
    In fact, Hibs are crap, get rid of them all!

McGivern just forgot how bad the referees are up here. Honest mistake.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

If that's your opinion of him then fair enough mate, my own personal opinion is that he lacks consistancy but has shown glimpses of what looks to me like a very good player. Opinion is just that so I wouldn't worry about responses contrary to your own opinion.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    I think someone's in line for the ****** bib..

Or. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjeITmDmmo

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    McGivern has a lot of quality, he is above our usual standard and will go on to bigger and better things imo. I've said it a few times on here but I reckon he would be a better midfielder than a defender as he looks really good going forward but he has had a few costly mistakes in defence

I agree. The boy has put in some great crosses when he gets forward we just need a big man in the box or a few of the midfielders gambling.