hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The referee

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar

The referee

Great game apart from the penalty

What a *beepin* idiot!!

If he had booked Johnny Russell after his 'dive' (he went down in the box and came up looking for a pen. The ref disagreed, so that's a booking) then the second player, not sure who, wouldn't have flung himself to the ground.

A good metre outside of the box and not even a booking for Ryan

Tarnished a great performance and a deserved win.

Grrrrrrr

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    The ref got it wrong and was probably influenced by the "claim" a minute before but his angle would make it more difficult to see exactly where the offence occurred. Surely the assistant ref would have been in line to see it and should have helped the ref out?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I'm furious. Apart from dropping 2 points I had £20 on Hibs at 3-1 and the refereeing team have cost me dearly.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Another example of why video technology should be introduced to the game.

Left by mutual consent!
    He gave the 2nd one that wisnae a penalty because he never gave the 1st one that wisnae a penalty. I dinnae care how good you think he was for the rest of the game, he got the big decision wrong. Robbed again ****in' clown
    Last edited by Saorsa; 24-02-2013 at 06:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Fuming. Hibs deserved that victory and we had it robbed from us.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

We never won the game because of that decision, therefore a bad refereeing performance imo.

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm furious. Apart from dropping 2 points I had £20 on Hibs at 3-1 and the refereeing team have cost me dearly.
    Gutted also, had a 4 game accumulator with Hibs the final team to win, gutted 70-1 shot.

Im I feeling particularly paranoid, or do Hibs always seem to be on the wrong end of bad decisions more than most other teams!

Totally ragin!!

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    I don't understand why he didn't consult the linesman, 2 lost points because of a very poor decision.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    I don't understand why he didn't consult the linesman, 2 lost points because of a very poor decision.
    Why didn't the linesman consult the referee? Surely he must have known himself that it was outside?

Raging. We played well today, better than we have in a long while.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Take a look at the replay. The assistant runs straight to the corner flag. That is his signal to the referee that he thinks it's a penalty. The referee may have blown for the free kick, which it was, and looked at his assistant for advice. Corner flag = penalty.

Left by mutual consent!
    Shocking disgraceful decision. Now, I don't subscribe to the theory mcgivern has been wonderful for us. I think he can be a liability and exposed at times. However, that was a shocker. It was a free kick but clearly outside the box. Still scunnered now. We deserved the win and we were robbed, simple

It's a shocking refereeing performance. Don't think it's a biased one though so just need to get on with it.
    Inside or outside the box, McGivern was beat all ends up again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    Take a look at the replay. The assistant runs straight to the corner flag. That is his signal to the referee that he thinks it's a penalty. The referee may have blown for the free kick, which it was, and looked at his assistant for advice. Corner flag = penalty.
    Well if the ref was in a better position were he was going tae blow for a free kick he could have over ruled his blind assistant.

Specsavers, I wouldnae go there if these ***** are an advertisement for them. Still robbed again by another ***** decision

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Pat Fenlon showed a lot of dignity in his interview, basically saying mistakes happen and there's nothing we can do about now. Very commendable but you know what, I'd rather he made a song and dance about Hibs YET AGAIN conceding a penalty that was CLEARLY outside the box. Put pressure on the refs for our future games ala Neil Lennon or Martin O'Neil used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Well if the ref was in a better position were he was going tae blow for a free kick he could have over ruled his blind assistant.

Specsavers, I wouldnae go there if these ***** are an advertisement for them. Still robbed again by another ***** decision
    DD, I don't know if the referee was in a better position or not. He gave the free kick which was correct but the assistant ran straight to the corner flag. What I am saying is, he obviously saw the free kick but perhaps wasn't sure if it was in or out. His assistant made up his mind for him.

Quote Originally Posted by aljo7-0 View Post
    The ref got it wrong and was probably influenced by the "claim" a minute before but his angle would make it more difficult to see exactly where the offence occurred. Surely the assistant ref would have been in line to see it and should have helped the ref out?
    The linesman was not in line though, if he was, he would have seen it was clearly outside the area.

You just have to look where McGivern stands.. I'd he did what he did.. Mackay Stevens running full pelt, give away a free kick, he could have turned and the boy would have been away.. He can't think I'm outside the box if I dangle a leg the ref may give a penalty.. Referee made an absolute clanger!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    What annoyed me more TBH was the mistake that Doyle made that lead up to penalty that never was. He looked like he had played the whole game and some of the boys that had done, looked fresher.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Why didn't the linesman consult the referee? Surely he must have known himself that it was outside?

Raging. We played well today, better than we have in a long while.

The ref and the lineswoman are linked via an earpiece, so he would have consulted him that way.

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    What annoyed me more TBH was the mistake that Doyle made that lead up to penalty that never was. He looked like he had played the whole game and some of the boys that had done, looked fresher.
    That's what I was ragin abouth, powder puff Doyle giving the ball away on the half way line!

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    He's a total passenger!!!

On a happier note, although we dropped 3 points we played alot better. Robertson is also getting match fitness and looks good.

From the BBC report on the match...

"Johnny Russell's late penalty earned Dundee United a point against Hibernian but the visitors will feel aggrieved because Ryan McGivern's trip on Gary Mackay-Steven was outside the box."

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    He's a total passenger!!!

On a happier note, although we dropped 3 points we played alot better. Robertson is also getting match fitness and looks good.
    2 points

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    2 points
    doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    The ref and the lineswoman are linked via an earpiece, so he would have consulted him that way.
    He doesn't need to communicate through the mic and earpiece though. The assistant signalled for a penalty by running to the corner flag.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    Pat Fenlon showed a lot of dignity in his interview, basically saying mistakes happen and there's nothing we can do about now. Very commendable but you know what, I'd rather he made a song and dance about Hibs YET AGAIN conceding a penalty that was CLEARLY outside the box. Put pressure on the refs for our future games ala Neil Lennon or Martin O'Neil used to do.
    I'd rather he didn't.

We got a wee break at Motherwell that shall we say was a bit dodgy. We took it and moved on, I think Pat is playing this one right, and we will benefit in the longer term.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    He doesn't need to communicate through the mic and earpiece though. The assistant signalled for a penalty by running to the corner flag.
    I know that, but i was pointing out that the ref doesn't need to go over to the linesman to consult him.

which i think is what you are also saying...

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    I'd rather he didn't.

We got a wee break at Motherwell that shall we say was a bit dodgy. We took it and moved on, I think Pat is playing this one right, and we will benefit in the longer term.
    Several posters have quoted the Motherwell "goal" and it's a fair point. But can anyone remember any other blatant mistakes, resulting in a goal for us or saving a goal against? Does the Motherwell game make up for the penalty last season at Aberdeen or the penalty in the cup final? Both clrearly outsode the box! 2 worngs (or shouls I say 4?) don't make it all alright.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Referee was poor for us the whole game. His decision not to book Dillon for a blatant professional foul in the final third was unbelievable,