hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7

Gordon Rae in Corfu.

Heading over there,heard the big man has a pub on the island,anyone know the name ?
    Will pop in and see him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Corfu is braw! even Better if said Big Man resides there :)

Quote Originally Posted by gorgie greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heading over there,heard the big man has a pub on the island,anyone know the name ?
    Will pop in and see him.
    Hes probably standing waiting on you coming, frosty beer at the end of the bar. A mean he canny be doing anything else wi his time eh

Gordon Rae scored one of my all time favourite goals ever. At Tannadice he ran from his own half, played a neat 1-2, then hit the ball from around 30 yards, which flew into the net, like a missile....I had in on tape somewhere, but no idea where it is now unfortunately....(I was in the pictures celebrating, still think fondly of that goal)
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Gordon Rae scored one of my all time favourite goals ever. At Tannadice he ran from his own half, played a neat 1-2, then hit the ball from around 30 yards, which flew into the net, like a missile....I had in on tape somewhere, but no idea where it is now unfortunately....(I was in the pictures celebrating, still think fondly of that goal)
    cant recall the goal you mention, but he could have had his hands on that cup, naw? was he captain when we were denied a peno, 3 mins from time against a now defunct team? come to think of it, should we not have had that 3 game result allocated to us?

hey Brockie, meant tae ask............did you wear a wig then?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Gordon Rae's my old mans favourite player. High praise because there ain't many folk he rates! Always going on about how he 'wishes we had a Gordon Rae now.' What was he like?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Gordon Rae's my old mans favourite player. High praise because there ain't many folk he rates! Always going on about how he 'wishes we had a Gordon Rae now.' What was he like?
    not a lot of class, but guts, and plenty of it! my kinda player when the going gets tough and Hibs through and through

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    So has he got a boozer in corfu or not

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    My mate works with his laddie and though they have chatted about Gordon living over there no mention of a Boozer was ever made
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

While you're there ask him why he or Gordon Hunter never tried marking John Robertson in any of the 22 in a row derbies...

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    cant recall the goal you mention, but he could have had his hands on that cup, naw? was he captain when we were denied a peno, 3 mins from time against a now defunct team? come to think of it, should we not have had that 3 game result allocated to us?
    Yep Colin Campbell was brought down by Peter McCloy stonewall penalty! Then several replays later we still didn't win the cup😉

I remember well when he exploded on the scene as a center forward, he was blasting goals in from everywhere and I thought at last we have a bull in a china shop center forward only for mogadon Miller to revert him to center half, a crazy decision at the time (so was putting Joe T at left back) not his fault of course but in reality I couldn't be bothered with him after that and was highly critical of him, knew his auld man well (he could yap for Scotland but always interesting) and Gordon's a nice guy but the yam thing runs deep with me.

I presume it'd be in the north of the island and not Kavos?!!

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    I remember well when he exploded on the scene as a center forward, he was blasting goals in from everywhere and I thought at last we have a bull in a china shop center forward only for mogadon Miller to revert him to center half, a crazy decision at the time (so was putting Joe T at left back) not his fault of course but in reality I couldn't be bothered with him after that and was highly critical of him, knew his auld man well (he could yap for Scotland but always interesting) and Gordon's a nice guy but the yam thing runs deep with me.
    He reverted to a centre half long before Alex Miller became manager.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I think your memory is a bit jaded mate. It wasn't Miller who made him a centre half.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    He reverted to a centre half long before Alex Miller became manager.
    Are you sure about that? who put him at CH then?

Are you sure about that? who put him at CH then?
    He was a CH about 83/84. Probably Stanton or Auld.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    He was a CH about 83/84. Probably Stanton or Auld.
    Think it was Auld now that you mention it...I stand corrected....

Think it was Auld now that you mention it...I stand corrected....
    Though Miller did on occasion change a player's position based on Tennants Sixes performance....

Mentions Rae living in Corfu in this article in the Scotsman last December but does not say which bar or where

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...oken-1-2670930

Tomorrow will be the first time Rae has been to a Hibs match since watching them against Dundee United a couple of years ago, but afterwards he’ll return to Corfu to watch from afar as Fenlon’s players bid to continue the remarkable progress they’ve made in the past few months. He also takes a healthy interest in football in his new homeland.

He said: “We’ve been in Corfu for the past three-and-a-half years and love the lifestyle. When we first moved there I played a season with a local village team, Kavadades Thunder in the lowest league in the Greek pyramid system. We had a very young team and I was by miles, some 25 years, the oldest.

“The coach had me playing central midfield but I ended up as sweeper. I got a couple of goals and enjoyed it but the games were on astroturf and that did my knees in. Now I play fives on a Sunday morning and have a three or four-mile run on the beach a few times each week. When I come home, I catch up with the local guys who used to play for Hibs like Keith Wright, Gordon Hunter, Paul Kane, John Collins, Mickey Weir and Callum Milne, have a game of fives and a couple of drinks.

“We like to think we’re still playing as we used to – but then the aching legs the next day tell you we’re all that bit older.”

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Though Miller did on occasion change a player's position based on Tennants Sixes performance....

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    hey Brockie, meant tae ask............did you wear a wig then?
    Had a sporting middle parting like New Kids on the Block, sadly the middle parting was the onset of a helluva parting all over
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

[QUOTE=Hibernia Na Eir;3507228]I presume it'd be in the north of the island and not Kavos?!![/QUOTEI would hope so as I no longer qualify for the 18-30 style of holiday

Quote Originally Posted by gorgie greens View Post
    Will pop in and see him.
    I take it you're not going just now? Resorts won't start picking up til April. Lovely island. Where are you heading to?

1982 in the cup, one of the best goals i've seen. Shame about the replay 1 up with seconds to go then cuffed in second replay.

[QUOTE=lord bunberry;3507345]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    I presume it'd be in the north of the island and not Kavos?!![/QUOTEI would hope so as I no longer qualify for the 18-30 style of holiday
    aye, me neither! Corfu is an absolute gem of an island. if I could choose one place to retire it'd be there....

[QUOTE=Hibernia Na Eir;3507424]

aye, me neither! Corfu is an absolute gem of an island. if I could choose one place to retire it'd be there....
    I love Greece my grandmother was from there. I have been to corfu a few times I remember being in kavos with my parents years ago and it was a lovely family resort I then went years later with my mates and I couldn't believe the difference.

He scored a cracker to beat Hearts at ER once. I think it was a cup match.

Originally, he was a forward player but at some point he "bulked up" and his future lay at the back. I have to say he could be slow to turn at times!

Hibs legend though, I reckon.

I remember that goal well Brocks. I was stood behind the goals at Tannadice - the opposite end from where we get now - and couldn't believe that he just kept going and going.

If anyone does speak to him in Corfu, ask him the story about him, Chic Charnley, lumps of wood a guys with swords ;-)