hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

How would people feel about Ian Murray returning as player/assistant manager?

Not a fan of players coming back for second/third spells, but after another victory today against Livi the boy is clearly a very talented manager or at least has the potential to be.

If he was to come in as assistant to Fenlon he'd get the chance to be 'manager in waiting' and learn even more about the running of a full time club and in a time where money is tight could be a back-up in defence, an area we are light on numbers.

The main concern is that a club down south takes a chance on him and he ends up way out of our price range.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    No thanks, he's been in charge of Dumbarton for 5 minutes?

Lots to prove yet. Player acquisition being one area he'd have had limited exposure to.

Signs are promising for him however!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Would think if he goes on to prove himself as a manager over a sustained period of time he could come and do the job properly rather than waiting in the wings missing out on gaining experience like he is getting now.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Far, far too early even to form an opinion.

I once scored a goal identical to the great Marco Van Basten volleyed effort for Holland. Should Hibs sign me as a striker?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    personally I think he'll learn far more, by being a manager in his own right, than by being some some of cinderella manager at ER

He has done great at Dumbarton in a short period of time.....

Player/assistant manager? No chance, did you not see how his legs had gone in his second spell......Plus I am more than happy with our current coaching staff....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No thanks, he's been in charge of Dumbarton for 5 minutes?
    I don't agree with alot of what blackpoolhibs says but I agree 100% with this. Far too early for that.

Alex Ferguson only spent 4 months in his first gig at East Stirling. Aged 32.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Not a fan of players coming back for second/third spells, but after another victory today against Livi the boy is clearly a very talented manager or at least has the potential to be.

If he was to come in as assistant to Fenlon he'd get the chance to be 'manager in waiting' and learn even more about the running of a full time club and in a time where money is tight could be a back-up in defence, an area we are light on numbers.

The main concern is that a club down south takes a chance on him and he ends up way out of our price range.

Thoughts?
    I didnae realise we needed and assistant manager, I thought Pat had picked his own. As for the player bit, yer having a giraffe right? He's knackered. He's doing well just now but I think you're getting a bit carried away.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Far too early - best for him is to learn his trade at Dumbarton and elsewhere. Give him 5 years experience and if all goes well he'd be ready to come back.

He's had a very encouraging start to life as a manager with Dumbarton and I wish him all the best in his role there.

However, he's only been in charge for a couple of months so it's far too early to say that he's going to go on and be a good manager.

If he's still getting impressive results in 5 or 6 years' time then, yes, by all means start the petitions for him to become the next Hibs manager and I'm sure the media will do that anyway, but at the moment I think he's doing just fine cutting his teeth in the lower leagues.

If he keeps Dumbarton in the first division this season, considering where they were when he took over, it'll be a massive achievement.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Good to see him doing well, but lets have a bigger sample size.

I have nothing against Ian Murray whatsoever and I have to admit to looking for Dumbarton's result every week now! However I have to go with the consensus of opinion on here and say that it is far too early to look at him as an assistant manager when he has only been a manager there for a few weeks.

His playing days are over I think and we are better trying to blood new youngsters to bring in to the defence when necessary.

We have already had three former players as managers and none of them lasted long and Yogi and Mixu had much more experience than Ian Murray. We have also had an assistant manager who seemed to run out of patience waiting for Calamity to leave and who has since achieved good things on a shoestring budget elsewhere.

I would love to see Murray back as manager some time in the future if he can prove himself over the long term at other clubs.

Fenlon out Murray in.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I once scored a goal identical to the great Marco Van Basten volleyed effort for Holland. Should Hibs sign me as a striker?
    No you didnt.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    How did he get on?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    No you didnt.
    Seriously, I did. Never did it again obviously and in fact I only scored 4 times in my entire career. That goal was true though, I drank an entire Saturday night for free from my team mates on the back of that goal :)

Fenlon out Murray in.
    Here's the thought.

If Yogi who is at best an average manager can land a league one club, then if Ian keeps Dumbarton up and then continues the good form next season so can he.

I'm a big Fenlon fan, I work with a former LOI player who speaks incredibly highly of him but also describes LOI as a league of players who couldn't make it at the youth academies in England. The way that Scottish football is being run we're in danger of getting into the same scenario. A lot of us would like Lyle Taylor at Falkirk next season as he's scoring for fun, but truth be told we could already have missed the boat on him. If a championship club take a punt on £2.5k-3k on him (to them a pittance) then we won't match that on a player unproven at SPL level and neither will any other SPL team outwith Celtic.

In terms of staff and players if we want to have any chance of getting in quality personnel we need to strike very early and take a bit of a chance. Some signings will go against that rule but unless we want players who are on their way down in their career it's the only way we'll get players in with a decent resale value.

If in the summer we were to move for Ian as assistant manager I'd be delighted. He's shown early promise and I can't help thinking that if he continues that he'll be onto clubs offering bigger money than Hibs within a year and a half to two years. If we were to get him in as a young, hungry manager to learn about managing the backroom staff (he's said in an interview that he's even making the sandwiches for players at this stage), scouting and signing players and all the bits and pieces, he's ready to step in when Fenlon moves on (and given a good season next year there'll no doubt be higher paying clubs sniffing around for him).

For both staff and players in Scotland a season or two of potential is enough to earn a higher paying move down south (look at Ryan Fraser, Sparky when he was signed to an EPL team from Dundee etc). We need money and as such need to take chances on getting a couple of seasons of good performances out of our personnel followed by a decent transfer fee/compensation package, and I'd say that especially as Murray could learn from Fenlon for a season or two before we unleash him on a full time SPL club with more backroom staff to delegate tasks too he'd be a good risk worth taking as we might not be able to afford him come the end of next season.

As for the player thing - nothing more than backup for injury. Certainly not saying he's the answer for our defence as a starting player.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Thoughts?
    1. Fenlon's already got an assistant
    2. As a player you have to be having a laugh
    3. Why would an SPL club appoint a complete novice into the position of assistant manager, surely the only option at this stage would be a lowly position on the coaching staff

Here's the thought.

If Yogi who is at best an average manager can land a league one club, then if Ian keeps Dumbarton up and then continues the good form next season so can he.

I'm a big Fenlon fan, I work with a former LOI player who speaks incredibly highly of him but also describes LOI as a league of players who couldn't make it at the youth academies in England. The way that Scottish football is being run we're in danger of getting into the same scenario. A lot of us would like Lyle Taylor at Falkirk next season as he's scoring for fun, but truth be told we could already have missed the boat on him. If a championship club take a punt on £2.5k-3k on him (to them a pittance) then we won't match that on a player unproven at SPL level and neither will any other SPL team outwith Celtic.

In terms of staff and players if we want to have any chance of getting in quality personnel we need to strike very early and take a bit of a chance. Some signings will go against that rule but unless we want players who are on their way down in their career it's the only way we'll get players in with a decent resale value.

If in the summer we were to move for Ian as assistant manager I'd be delighted. He's shown early promise and I can't help thinking that if he continues that he'll be onto clubs offering bigger money than Hibs within a year and a half to two years. If we were to get him in as a young, hungry manager to learn about managing the backroom staff (he's said in an interview that he's even making the sandwiches for players at this stage), scouting and signing players and all the bits and pieces, he's ready to step in when Fenlon moves on (and given a good season next year there'll no doubt be higher paying clubs sniffing around for him).

For both staff and players in Scotland a season or two of potential is enough to earn a higher paying move down south (look at Ryan Fraser, Sparky when he was signed to an EPL team from Dundee etc). We need money and as such need to take chances on getting a couple of seasons of good performances out of our personnel followed by a decent transfer fee/compensation package, and I'd say that especially as Murray could learn from Fenlon for a season or two before we unleash him on a full time SPL club with more backroom staff to delegate tasks too he'd be a good risk worth taking as we might not be able to afford him come the end of next season.

As for the player thing - nothing more than backup for injury. Certainly not saying he's the answer for our defence as a starting player.
    Pointless post in my opinion, we have a manager, we have an assistant manager too. We have a full compliment of staff it appears, Billy Brown spit was given the heave ho, because there was no place for him.

If a place became available, and if he deserved to be looked at in the process of filling that place, all well and good. I don't think him having 5 minutes in the Dumbarton job qualify's as a must sign him up gamble by the club?

He's started well, if he carry's on in the same vein of form, and does a good job over a decent period of time then who knows?

I mean surely he'd love to be our manager, he is after all a Hibs fan?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post

And he left them to go to St Mirren, then in the First Division, whom he took up to the Premier Division in 1977.

He left Paisley the following year to take over at Aberdeen. Aberdeen finished second behind Celtic in 1978, and won the title for the first of 3 times under Fergie the following year 1979.

So he actually had four pretty successful years in the lower reaches before he went to Pittodrie.

And Fergie's arguably the most successful manager in the history of British football. Not an example to generalise from.
    Last edited by --------; 09-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Pointless post in my opinion, we have a manager, we have an assistant manager too. We have a full compliment of staff it appears, Billy Brown spit was given the heave ho, because there was no place for him.

If a place became available, and if he deserved to be looked at in the process of filling that place, all well and good. I don't think him having 5 minutes in the Dumbarton job qualify's as a must sign him up gamble by the club?

He's started well, if he carry's on in the same vein of form, and does a good job over a decent period of time then who knows?

I mean surely he'd love to be our manager, he is after all a Hibs fan?

If we could offer him £3k a week to be Hibs manager and a club down south offers double/triple that, you really think he'd still come to us?

It's the way Scottish football is going. It's deluded to think that Regan and Doncaster will turn things around or leave their posts.

If we could offer him £3k a week to be Hibs manager and a club down south offers double/triple that, you really think he'd still come to us?

It's the way Scottish football is going. It's deluded to think that Regan and Doncaster will turn things around or leave their posts.
    Purely conjecture at this moment in time, I think you are thinking too hard about this..............
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

No i don't think he'd come to us, he made his intentions quite clear when he was a player. He let his contract run out, so he could walk away for nothing, and so the club would get nothing too. Money is clearly his motivation, nothing wrong in that, but it would not bother me one bit if we missed out on the new Fergie?

As i said earlier, its a pointless post, we have a manager and an assistant.

Gamer IDs

Blackpool Can I ask why you finish the majority of your points with a question mark when clearly they aren't questions ? Is the period on your keyboard goosed or is it grammatical inadequacy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Blackpool Can I ask why you finish the majority of your points with a question mark when clearly they aren't questions ? Is the period on your keyboard goosed or is it grammatical inadequacy ?
    To annoy you?

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    personally I think he'll learn far more, by being a manager in his own right, than by being some some of cinderella manager at ER
    There is only one answer then:

Butcher out: Murray in.

Gamer IDs

To annoy you?
    Then you have succeeded. Although I still think it is an ignorance of grammar.