hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Aberdeen Support

Cant think of support such as Aberdeen on Sunday.To bring just under half their average gate to a 5th Round match to a ground they have been to dozens of times 130 miles away live on TV !!
    Credit where its due,brilliant supporters.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fair play, great away support but they would help their club a lot more by turning up to home matches every week.

Boke.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    The away end on Sunday would have been largely filled by central belt ewe's and ram's.

No great achievement IMO.

I think it's embarrassing for them as a support to have an away support that is almost as large as their pitiful home support.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The away end on Sunday would have been largely filled by central belt ewe's and ram's.

I think it's embarrassing for them as a support to have an away support that is almost as large as their pitiful home support.
    This.

One of the biggest myths in Scottish Football.

Aberdeens massive away support......

As Tricla said, they have a large fan base now living in the central belt.

Harsh to knock them. They turned up, they made a racket and they stamped their mark on the game. Some amount of balloons, I thought the ultras had packed it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post

correct. long known that Sheep have solid central belt support of ex-students/schoolkids who were the glory hunters back in the 80's when sheep were a successful team. Did Edinburgh Uni not have w Dons Supporters club? if so, why? !!

I used too work and live in Aberdeen. Half the population of Edinburgh but only one main team. It's not bad for entertainment but any a trip to the capital (or Glasgow) is like a weekend break. It's no coincidences that a high number of travelling Tartan Army fans are from that neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    This.

One of the biggest myths in Scottish Football.

Aberdeens massive away support......

As Tricla said, they have a large fan base now living in the central belt.
    Really? I've heard this mentioned a few times on here but cant say i've ever seen any evidence of it.

I have lived and worked in Edinburgh my entire life and have only ever met one Aberdeen fan and he was from Aberdeen. Really cant see this claim of a large fan base in the central belt being correct.

I will give them no extra kudos for going to watch their team in a cup match. Despite what some may say on here we do follow Hibs in large numbers in the cup.
    But i do think the central belt thing is a myth. The A90 was packed all the way to Aberdeen on Sunday night and I know loads of Aberdeen resident Dons fans who had not been to an Away match since last years semi-final who made the trip.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celthedd1 View Post
    Cant think of support such as Aberdeen on Sunday.To bring just under half their average gate to a 5th Round match to a ground they have been to dozens of times 130 miles away live on TV !!
    130 miles, pah! Gets me to about Lockerbie

Big deal. It was a cup game. We would have done the same. Look at the coming killie qf game for example. Hibees will be coming down from all over scotland for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Big deal. It was a cup game. We would have done the same. Look at the coming killie qf game for example. Hibees will be coming down from all over scotland for it.
    I cant agree with this, at ER on Sunday 1/3 of the attendance were Aberdeen fan's, our fan's cannot even come to a home cup game let alone travel in big numbers to Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    I cant agree with this, at ER on Sunday 1/3 of the attendance were Aberdeen fan's, our fan's cannot even come to a home cup game let alone travel in big numbers to Aberdeen.
    If it was a cup game we would. The Sheep don't take snywhere near that amount to a league match at ER anymore do they?

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    If it was a cup game we would. The Sheep don't take snywhere near that amount to a league match at ER anymore do they?
    Doubt it, they canny be bothered turning up at home so the chances of them all travelling is fairly small.

We have travelled up to aberdeen in big numbers before and I bet hibs will have more fans at killie than the sheep had at ER. I dont get this love in when a team brings a big support. Their balloons were a nuisance more than anything and there big support were very quiet for large parts of the match. It was a day out in the capital for most ofthem.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    They all left looking very sheepish.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    correct. long known that Sheep have solid central belt support of ex-students/schoolkids who were the glory hunters back in the 80's when sheep were a successful team. Did Edinburgh Uni not have w Dons Supporters club? if so, why? !!
    TBF there are a lot of people who support Hibs from all over Scotland that weren't from Edinburgh because of the 70s Hibs teams. Grant Stott one.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    They all left looking very sheepish.
    The only other team with similar home gates as Dons in Scotland are Hibs,similar size clubs both selling around 14k for semi last year.
    Flip side of the coin dare I suggest that we would have amassed far less than 1k at Pittordrie last sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeystewart View Post
    TBF there are a lot of people who support Hibs from all over Scotland that weren't from Edinburgh because of the 70s Hibs teams. Grant Stott one.
    You sure? Thought he was an Edinburgh boy. He certainly went to High School in Edinburgh

@hibs.net private member
    The great Aberdeen support was almost as big as "the Medda" support a few years ago in the Cup.

The only other team with similar home gates as Dons in Scotland are Hibs,similar size clubs both selling around 14k for semi last year.
    Flip side of the coin dare I suggest that we would have amassed far less than 1k at Pittordrie last sunday.
    Of course we took less last week. No trains running and having to get up at ridiculous o clock to even think about going. Aberdeen based dons could have left at 12 on Sunday and made it no worries. Guarantee you for the killie game we will sell that stand out.

They may bring a decent sized support but I dont think they are particularly loud or vociferous in any way. Certainly not compared to the Old Firm or even Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    They may bring a decent sized support but I dont think they are particularly loud or vociferous in any way. Certainly not compared to the Old Firm or even Hearts.
    Agree

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    Maybe that's because we banned their band

Very noisy and also pretty funny support. Putting the ballons in Tesco bags was a nice touch and had Sparky pissing himself laughing. The game overall had a great atmosphere.

Left by mutual consent!

Why not?!?!?! Should there never be a Hibs supporters club outside Edinburgh?

Edinburgh Uni has societies for everything. I'd imagine that one was set up by students down from Aberdeen and I believe they do go to the home games as well.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Judging from one of the flags on Sunday they still do have an EDinburgh Uni SC.

The glory hunting thing, not buying that. There's been a hell of a lot of disappointed sheep since the 80's. What I do think is that there are far more Aberdonians residing in the central belt than folk from Edinburgh up there. Good support but I reckon we will take more down to Killie.

A benefit of having Hearts and Aberdeen play an extra game at ER is any loss financially from the Huns not filling the stand twice a season has been cushioned quite a bit.