hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Clayton Donaldson on Chelsea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-pitch-tension

He's scored 19 for Brentford this season apparently, which is not bad at all, but this article reminded me that CD also has a talent for self-promotion... he's got a replay against one of the biggest teams in the country coming up, so why not get his name in the papers?

I remember him and his model girlfriend doing some publicity when he arrived in Edinburgh. Wonder if he's still with her?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Seem to recall they were being touted as Edinburghs answer to posh and becks!

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    he would have scored a rake for us!!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seem to recall they were being touted as Edinburghs answer to posh and becks!
    By themselves, mostly.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I recall him being played as a lone striker by JC on occasion. That was never going to work!

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-pitch-tension

He's scored 19 for Brentford this season apparently, which is not bad at all, but this article reminded me that CD also has a talent for self-promotion... he's got a replay against one of the biggest teams in the country coming up, so why not get his name in the papers?

I remember him and his model girlfriend doing some publicity when he arrived in Edinburgh. Wonder if he's still with her?
    To be fair, if it was a Man Utd player coming out with this, most people would be extolling the virtues of Fergie's mind games. Don't see why it should be different for Brentford or the Clayton Don.

As an aside, I think his missus was Pippa from Fame Academy rather than being a model.

Testimonial Due
    He was posh and the burd was becks was the difference.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Clayton Donaldson may be more clumsy than he is Messi but, IMHO, he has the goal scorer’s knack of being in the right place. He works hard too, much more than I remember at Hibs - it was his pass that led to the penalty that restored Brentford’s lead against Chelsea.

I was at the game. Fantastic atmosphere. The sleek Chelsea super-heroes looked like they hated even sharing the same pitch with the grubby mortals that are Brentford, never mind having to play against them. Cole jumped out of every one-on-one. Torez looked like he'd got his period. Lampard appeared to have just finished a big lunch. It was all looking good for the Bees until Demba Ba came on. An awed hush fell over the crowd. The guy must be eight feet tall. It was he who slid the ball to Tores to slot home the equaliser.

Brentford are no Barcelona but I ‘m sad to reckon they would beat the current Hibs line-up without much trouble. The difference is a) work rate – Chelsea never got a minute’s peace when they had the ball. And b) speed. They break quickly when they get the chance. Hopefully Fenlon is working on both.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I recall him being played as a lone striker by JC on occasion. That was never going to work!

It was this that ruined his hibs career and caused the fans to dislike him.

He was never a lone striker, however when playing off of another striker I thought he was pretty good for us.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fergy View Post
    It was this that ruined his hibs career and caused the fans to dislike him.

He was never a lone striker, however when playing off of another striker I thought he was pretty good for us.
    good player before he joined us, did well when he got a chance with us and hasn't failed to score since he left, I liked him. All depends on whether you think Scottish football is miles ahead of the level Brentford play at, and Crewe before that.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    If Donaldson is so good, how come championship teams haven't been interested? He has a similar goals to appearances record in the Division 1 with Brentford as Kuqi had with Oldham.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    If Donaldson is so good, how come championship teams haven't been interested? He has a similar goals to appearances record in the Division 1 with Brentford as Kuqi had with Oldham.
    Who knows where he might end up? if its about money he will be doing okay compared to the average SPL salary as of now.

Of all the SPL players there are at any one moment in time, but now for example, not many are being chased by Championship level sides right now.

Kuqi, it seems was finished, or thereabouts at non Championship level Oldham and maybe before that. Illustrious though his earlier career was.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Who knows where he might end up? if its about money he will be doing okay compared to the average SPL salary as of now.

Of all the SPL players there are at any one moment in time, but now for example, not many are being chased by Championship level sides right now.

Kuqi, it seems was finished, or thereabouts at non Championship level Oldham and maybe before that. Illustrious though his earlier career was.
    That's my point really, Kuqi was finished and could score goals as freely as Donaldson can at that level. Nobody thinks Kuqi has been a great addition but assume that Donaldson is a player we should have kept, despite not really impressing during his time here. He's also 29 this year, so how much better is a player who's main asset is his pace going to get from here?