hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Archibald

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Steve Archibald

I was always impressed by Archibald, if not his attitude, and find him to be under discussed in the corridors of .net deliberation.

A huge coup for Lexo beating off Liverpool to sign him from Barcelona and in fact Hibs' last transfer dealing with a big Spanish club due to the breakdown of Benji's move to Real after wages became a stumbling block for the Bernabeu outfit.

44 games, 15 goals, massive talent, never really did it for Scotland. Lots of arguments with Lexo. Certainly the biggest star we signed behind Best in the past 40 years.

What's everyone memories of Archie?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Remember he used to get dogs abuse for not chasing down passes to the byline, strangely enough the ones he did chase down he inevitably reached. Nae point wasting energy on lost causes.

Will never forget that goal at Tynie, quality!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought he was great. Pretty sure my dad took me to his debut.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was always impressed by Archibald, if not his attitude, and find him to be under discussed in the corridors of .net deliberation.

A huge coup for Lexo beating off Liverpool to sign him from Barcelona and in fact Hibs' last transfer dealing with a big Spanish club due to the breakdown of Benji's move to Real after wages became a stumbling block for the Bernabeu outfit.

44 games, 15 goals, massive talent, never really did it for Scotland. Lots of arguments with Lexo. Certainly the biggest star we signed behind Best in the past 40 years.

I was ten when he signed, and I remember him scoring two goals off the bench on his debut (against Stranraer?) and being a quality player for us - I was aware of his stature in the game at the time, and how much of a coup his signing was, but it wasn't until I watched videos of his performances several years later that I realised just what supreme quality his all round play was, and how much he elevated a young Hibs side when he played. Winner at Tynie was the stand out moment,

The taxi from Motherwell also sticks in mind, as does a phenomenal long pass into the box for Beastie to score a header at ER, and the last minute free kick against Hearts that hit the post (and would have put an early stop to 22 in a row IIRC, though I may be wrong).

Lots of memories for a relatively short time. Shear class.

The man oozed class- you look back now and wonder how he ended up with us. His goal at Tynie is possibly the fondest memory
    of supporting Hibs. Absolute chaos, indescribable bedlam.

Brings a tingle down the spine thinking about it.

A brilliant signing for us he was and added to the list of greats that have played for Hibs, his goal at the asbestos arena was shear class

Hopefully the link works
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I remember being very unimpressed when we signed Archie. How ridiculous is that? We sign the current Barcelona centre forward, who was a regular in the Scotland squad and was previously very successful in England for Spurs, from under the noses of Liverpool, the best club in the World at the time and I wasn't impressed. WTF?

Turned out he was one the most talented and cultured players I ever had the pleasure to watch in a Hibs shirt. As has been said, THAT goal at Tynie was one my happiest memories as Hibs fan. Having said all that, he was a moody twat at times!

At school in the mid 80's, when Marillion were getting pretty big, word went round that Fish was in town. My mate, lead guitarist in the local rock band, Marillion fan and, in my eyes at least, the coolest guy in the school, suggests heading off down into town at lunchtime to see if we can see him. Off we pop and, lo and behold, run into Fish coming out of John Menzies. I'm looking forward to witnessing this meeting of rockstar cool muso-ness. "Hey Fish", calls my mate, the coolest guy in the school. Fish turns round with a "Hi". "I think you're great" says the used to be coolest guy in the school as I look on incredulously and vow to never, ever, be so lame should I ever meet any of my heroes.
    Fast forward 7 or 8 years and I'm working in a shop in the St Enoch Centre, in the weej. Bored at the lack of customers I wander to the door and look outside, only to see Stevie Archibald (sporting a very dapper and expensive looking trenchcoat) eyeing up the goods in the window. "Stevie Archibald!" I cry. "Hi", he says. "I thought you were great when you played for Hibs". The embarrassment was palpable, on both sides, as I shuffled, head down, back into the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkHibee View Post
    At school in the mid 80's, when Marillion were getting pretty big, word went round that Fish was in town. My mate, lead guitarist in the local rock band, Marillion fan and, in my eyes at least, the coolest guy in the school, suggests heading off down into town at lunchtime to see if we can see him. Off we pop and, lo and behold, run into Fish coming out of John Menzies. I'm looking forward to witnessing this meeting of rockstar cool muso-ness. "Hey Fish", calls my mate, the coolest guy in the school. Fish turns round with a "Hi". "I think you're great" says the used to be coolest guy in the school as I look on incredulously and vow to never, ever, be so lame should I ever meet any of my heroes.
    Fast forward 7 or 8 years and I'm working in a shop in the St Enoch Centre, in the weej. Bored at the lack of customers I wander to the door and look outside, only to see Stevie Archibald (sporting a very dapper and expensive looking trenchcoat) eyeing up the goods in the window. "Stevie Archibald!" I cry. "Hi", he says. "I thought you were great when you played for Hibs". The embarrassment was palpable, on both sides, as I shuffled, head down, back into the shop.
    Haha, good story. 2 heroes of mine!

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    I remember being at the Tynie game with my Dad, we used to stand to the left as the terrace bent round the corner in those days. Remember the whole place going mental when he scored.

Did we really beat Liverpool to his signature? Anyone know the story behind his signature, find it hard to believe we paid more than Liverpool even in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

Along with frank sauzee and george best the greatest hibs players i have seen in the flesh.He was to my mind the best player in scotland for 12 months while at hibs and his bringing on of the likes of kane,may,weir etc was just brilliant.Any player that made super joe tortalano look good had to be very special indeed.As for that goal at tynie it must rank amongst the best moments in a derby ever.As everybody has said sheer class as was his missus iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Hibby View Post
    The man oozed class- you look back now and wonder how he ended up with us. His goal at Tynie is possibly the fondest memory
    of supporting Hibs. Absolute chaos, indescribable bedlam.

Brings a tingle down the spine thinking about it.

he was class but one of my memories is a penalty miss against aberdeen at easter road in a cup match...theo snelders would have been sent off now for an attack on evans as he broke clear with the goal gaping...penalty!...archie took it and it was the first time i'd seen a player take a penalty without a run up...he just stood and struck the ball against the bar....i think we went out in extra time 2-1.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Football memories are a collection of iconic moments - and not always on YouTube.

Archie the Jinx Buster - that iconic photo on Hibs Monthly is imprinted on my brain.
    Massive sways after - gives me goosebumps just thinking of that goal. Truly "singin in the rain" at Tynie - you you've boy's donno what you missed out on.

head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch - no wonder he shook his head at linesmen, refs and at times team mates he was somewhere in a different stratosphere of football genius. What a first touch and pass at distance.

Still held pride in performance and dignity - a winner through and through - scored in the 3-1 semi defeat to Celtic after their first half blitzkrieg (after hills borough?!)

His sister taugh my brother at Trinity. Couldn't believe it when he signed.

Folks must have been bewildered to see the likes of Archie and latterly Sauzeé train on public parks.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Football memories are a collection of iconic moments - and not always on YouTube.

Archie the Jinx Buster - that iconic photo on Hibs Monthly is imprinted on my brain.
    Massive sways after - gives me goosebumps just thinking of that goal. Truly "singin in the rain" at Tynie - you you've boy's donno what you missed out on.

head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch - no wonder he shook his head at linesmen, refs and at times team mates he was somewhere in a different stratosphere of football genius. What a first touch and pass at distance.

Still held pride in performance and dignity - a winner through and through - scored in the 3-1 semi defeat to Celtic after their first half blitzkrieg (after hills borough?!)

His sister taugh my brother at Trinity. Couldn't believe it when he signed.

Folks must have been bewildered to see the likes of Archie and latterly Sauzeé train on public parks.
    Used to watch them train when I lived round the corner from Wardie as a kid. Strange to see him pulling up in his Jag alongside the rust buckets the other guys arrived in.

A class act on the pitch. Latterly a total fud off it however and his dealings as an 'agent' were extremely dodgy.

@hibs.net private member
    He was definitely Hibs Class

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Funny how the passage of time only leaves us with the good memories of Archibald, though I admit, there were a few........,

However, my abiding recollection of the man, was that of a very strange, arrogant, awkward and condescending individual who could start an argument in an empty room.

Apart from that, he was great.

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    I was at Tynie and he signed the photo for me a couple of of weeks later <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I had the fortune to bump into him in Barcelona a few years ago and we had a brief chat.

He still remembers the Archiegoal at Tynecastle very fondly

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I only saw him play for hibs a few times as it was approaching the end of his time here that i started going to easter road but the first hibs derby goal I ever witnessed was his looping header in the 1-1 draw at e-r, november 1989 I think? Quality goal and he made touches of class like that seem effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    I only saw him play for hibs a few times as it was approaching the end of his time here that i started going to easter road but the first hibs derby goal I ever witnessed was his looping header in the 1-1 draw at e-r, november 1989 I think? Quality goal and he made touches of class like that seem effortless.
    The bitter little twat Alex McDonald claimed in the aftermatch interview tha it was fluke. Sheer class!

His goal at the PBS is etched in my barnet evermore, carnage total carnage, his hatrick at ER against smellies 3-0 up at half time and occassionally spotting him in his gold Rolls Royce at fir park or any other away ground prior to kick off. As said alongside Sauzee and Best for modern day genius to wear the green. Fantastic memories.

Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    His goal at the PBS is etched in my barnet evermore, carnage total carnage, his hatrick at ER against smellies 3-0 up at half time and occassionally spotting him in his gold Rolls Royce at fir park or any other away ground prior to kick off. As said alongside Sauzee and Best for modern day genius to wear the green. Fantastic memories.
    He scored two that day. Evans scored the other IIRC.

I was just a youngster when Best played for Hibs, but, I don't think he should be mentioned in the same breath as the other two for how he performed in a Hibs strip.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Hibs hail heroes, Archie hails taxi" still one of my favourite Hibs headlines

Funny, how despite the goals the thing I remember most about Archie wasn't even a goal. In one game he was hugging the right touchline tightly marked by a full back. Someone pinged a crossfield pass to him. Now, ordinary mortals would have trapped the ball and tried to take on his man or release the ball back or inside to another player. Instead Archie done this sweeping movement with the outside of his right boot trapping the ball and moving it up the right wing with one movement. I swear he was haring up the wing 4 or 5 yards away from the defender who hadn't even turned round yet.

Unadulterated class!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    He scored two that day. Evans scored the other IIRC.
    Think your correct my friend

Left by mutual consent!

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That game and goal will be etched in my memory for ever! I used to work at Causewayside Petrol Station in the 80's, Archie was a regular there. I met him on a few occasions, he was a really really nice bloke. He didn't want to leave Hibs however, a spat with AM meant he was a gonner!

Think your correct my friend