hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pass Marks?

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar

Pass Marks?

Wiilliams, Claros(excellent) and Wotherspoon(possibly). The rest were certainly nothing to write home about especially McPake.

2. Log in to remove the advert

McGivern had a few good runs

For me only Williams and Deegan in both halves. 2nd half Spoony came on a bit, Claros (but his passing at times was woeful), McGivern in bits, Stevenson but thats it.
    We played as if we were still hungover from a week long sesh. Our captain, who should have been leading from the front was terrible. Don't think he won a header the whole game and I wont even comment on his distribution.
    Only get better :)

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Claros, Deegan and Williams top marks. Everyone else tried hard but we lacked a bit of composure. We didn't play that badly but the slow start gave them too much belief.

Pass marks -

Williams - 3 important saves - (goal looked a little bit weak)

McGivern - wanted to get forward - often beat a player out wide and caused problems.

Claros - 2nd half

Deegan - Solid throughout

Average performance -
    Doyle - worked hard and did have a very good chance 1st half to make it 1v1.

LG - took goal well - and did better 2nd half - poor 1st half

Wotherspoon - like McGivern sometimes beat a player and caused problems

Clancy - didn't create much and goal came from that side.

Stevenson - worked hard but didn't create much - few nice bits of link up with McGivern but considering he was left midfield - McGivern who was playing behind him looked more dangerous.

Poor today -

Hanlon and McPake

McPake I think has been poor this season - looks so causal and relaxed and rarely moves once he gives a pass. As captain I want him to show the quality / passion and attitude he showed last season - is he fully fit ?

No coincidence when McPake plays badly Hanlon suffers also.

Deegan done ok. Tried to keep things moving in midfield although wasn't always successful.

Think Williams will be disappointed with the goal but made a few crucial stops after that.

Claros done ok second half. Thought McGivern was ok. Spoony was ok but really needs to be more direct, why he insists on cutting inside every time is beyond me, it must be so easy to defend against.

Thought McPake was poor, like bambi on ice at times, Stevenson didn't really grab his chance. Clancy was poor by his standards.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Williams made some good saves, Claros once again was the best midfielder, Stevenson and McGivern worked well together and Stevenson's touch for Doyle's (weak) shot in the first half was excellent. Griffiths scored a great goal.

Spoony tried but it wasn't great from him today and I thought Deegan was awful. Doyle played well until it came to getting a shot on target

Testimonial Due
    McGivern was a stand out today, wondering if he would be better as a midfielder because he looks great going forward. Reminds me of Steven Whittaker

I actually thought Lewis did well enough today - great pass for Doyle in the first half and managed to get a few decent balls in the box as well, was just frustrating that nothing came of them. I don't think his performance was any worse than Cairney's last couple of games actually, where he seems to have gone off the boil a bit. Of course I'd still prefer to have Cairney there as I think he's our best midfielder and (when on form) can be very dangerous, but Lewis still came in when he had to and did a decent enough job. Also allowed McGivern to get forward a lot more too which might have been encouraging if we could actually finish and attacking move instead of taking too long and going backwards or losing possession.

Never going to be first name on the team sheet but you always know you're going to get a decent, committed performance.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Deegan best for us with Williams and McGivern just behind although I thought Williams might have done better for the goal.

McPake and Hanlon shakey. My patience with Hanlon is running out. Clancy offers little going forward which leaves Spoony with too much to do.

Lot of rebuilding for Fenlon still to do.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

We certainly seemed to create chances down the left today - McGivern and Stevenson did link up pretty well. I think Cairney just offers more quality in final 3rd and is a better scoring threat.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually thought Lewis did well enough today - great pass for Doyle in the first half and managed to get a few decent balls in the box as well, was just frustrating that nothing came of them. I don't think his performance was any worse than Cairney's last couple of games actually, where he seems to have gone off the boil a bit. Of course I'd still prefer to have Cairney there as I think he's our best midfielder and (when on form) can be very dangerous, but Lewis still came in when he had to and did a decent enough job. Also allowed McGivern to get forward a lot more too which might have been encouraging if we could actually finish and attacking move instead of taking too long and going backwards or losing possession.

Never going to be first name on the team sheet but you always know you're going to get a decent, committed performance.

@hibs.net private member
    Williams get pass marks the rest were poor

First Team Breakthrough glenn6270's Avatar
    i thought big nishy was excellent today

Quote Originally Posted by glenn6270 View Post
    i thought big nishy was excellent today
    He certainly stayed onside more than he did in the cabbage. I only counted 3.

Only saw the game on BBC Alba but thought it was a starnge game to assess
    For me it confirmed one thing in that McPake is overated
    He is like the 'curates egg ' - good in parts
    Does an awful lot of ' supposed organising ' but makes to many wrong decisions , personally , to make me feel confident about his future future.
    This now appears to affect Hanlon
    Great to see Lewis put in another workmanlike shift

Two points dropped i'm afraid

Left by mutual consent!
    Pass marks?

Williams
    McGivern - just
    Sparky - never fault him for effort
    Stevenson - put in a shift after an obvious sair yin

I thought we were much improved second half, and I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. In particular, I thought Clancy, Stevenson and Wotherspoon played well, and Deegan and Claros were poor in the middle, although they both improved after a shocking first 45. That seems to be at odds with some other comments.

Left side good, right side pish. If Mcpake is so scared of his lack of pace we are never going to be strong in defence again. All through the game he was telling the back 4 to come back more rather than push out. its basic stuff and needs to change asap.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I don't like to criticise McPake but what was wrong with him today ? He was just awful and I would ave replaced him at half time. I think it really affected the while team from the start.

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I don't like to criticise McPake but what was wrong with him today ? He was just awful and I would ave replaced him at half time. I think it really affected the while team from the start.

I think that the problem with McPake is that, generally speaking, is positioning and reading of the game is fairly poor, which means that inevitably has to come up with last-ditch type tackles, many of which are caused by him being a yard or two out of place. Last season when nobody else looked like they were trying, his bravery and determination made him a stand out. This year, when we've pushed on quite a bit as a team, he's been found lacking.

Promising Youngster
    Sad fact, but when our keeper was our best player against the worst team in the league then it was a bad day at the Office. Big Ben was excellent today, but could have done better with the goal.

McGirven and Stevenson both did well down the left, thought Lewis was our best player first half with some good passing.

Deegan and Spoony (excellent pass in the 2nd half) did alright in midfield. Clancy wasn't bad, but needs to overlap the wide midfielder playing infront of him alot more.

LG worked hard upfront and took his goal well.

Both centre halfs were poor today, I would have taken Hanlon of at HT, put McGirven in at centre half, Lewis to left back, Doyle to LM and put on Caldwell upfront.

Doyle had alot of poor touches/passes today but his movement was good. Should have done better with a couple of attempts, especially the one from Stevenon's knock down in the first half.

Claros for me was awful today, made some good blocks and covering, but passing was horrible, gave the ball away time after time.

We were crying out for someone who could play a killer pass, the amount of times we had men free in the wide areas and nobody picked them out was shocking. Oh for a Sauzee type who could switch the play

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Deegan was Hibs best player today, Williams was good again, Claros played well and McGivern was ok.

But the rest were poor, thought McPake had one of his worst games for us, Lewis offers nothing going forward and Spoony only started playing in the last half hour.

Doyle and Griffiths were quiet, but no service from midfield, felt that we badly missed Cairney today.

I actually thought Hanlon was OK but it appears I am in a minority of 1. That's OK as opposed to playing well.

The only one who can genuinely said they played well was Williams. Some OK moments from some but that's not enough to win games.

All in all, pish.

Claros didn't give the ball away much more than the rest of the midfield and certainly won twice the amount of ball than anyone else in there.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreenGiant View Post
    Deegan was Hibs best player today, Williams was good again, Claros played well and McGivern was ok.

But the rest were poor, thought McPake had one of his worst games for us, Lewis offers nothing going forward and Spoony only started playing in the last half hour.

Doyle and Griffiths were quiet, but no service from midfield, felt that we badly missed Cairney today.
    Deegan was murder in the first half. Continually gave the ball away. His second half was better but if he is getting pass marks for todays performance then we are in trouble.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
    Claros didn't give the ball away much more than the rest of the midfield and certainly won twice the amount of ball than anyone else in there.
    Agree..best midfielder by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Left side good, right side pish. If Mcpake is so scared of his lack of pace we are never going to be strong in defence again. All through the game he was telling the back 4 to come back more rather than push out. its basic stuff and needs to change asap.

Quote Originally Posted by leithsansiro View Post
    I think that the problem with McPake is that, generally speaking, is positioning and reading of the game is fairly poor, which means that inevitably has to come up with last-ditch type tackles, many of which are caused by him being a yard or two out of place. Last season when nobody else looked like they were trying, his bravery and determination made him a stand out. This year, when we've pushed on quite a bit as a team, he's been found lacking.

That sums up McPake for me !
    Lack of any pace puts strain on those around him with the main sufferer IMO bein Hanlon

Interesting the prais McGivern is getting for being a threat going forward. Of course that was made a whole lot easier for him by the wotrk of Stevenson covering back. Also, to the poster who said LS didn't create much I'd argue he created the best chance of the game but Doyle's shot was very poor.

Deegan for me had a poor first half but improved in the second. Williams saved our bacon and both centre halfs were made to look poor by big Nishy - who would ever have thought that?
    This is how it feels