hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Snooker

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Snooker

Any fellow Snooker followers on here? Seems to be about the only sport without a thread in this forum!

I can't get enough of it. Sit and watch it for hours on end. The Masters are currently on. Tipping Robertson to win it again
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any fellow Snooker followers on here? Seems to be about the only sport without a thread in this forum!

I can't get enough of it. Sit and watch it for hours on end. The Masters are currently on. Tipping Robertson to win it again
    Used to watch it all the time when Hendry was at his peak. Not so much now.

Seems to be dying on it's arse here but massive attraction overseas. Would love another young Scot to break through.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Used to watch it all the time when Hendry was at his peak. Not so much now.
    Likewise.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

I post on the actual snooker forum site Used to fit tables so played a hell of a lot and also sat and watched and got paid for it before brushing/ironing during intervals. Don't watch so much on the TV these days but I used to, prefer to play myself but even that is rare these days.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I've taken up snooker recently, can obviously hit a pool ball about but was never much good at that so goes without saying i was hopeless at snooker as well. My brother read about Chris Small doing coaching so we got a lesson from him and even after an hours coaching it's made an unbelievable difference, amazing the amount of things i was doing wrong in what seems a fairly straight forward process, i always just assumed i had a bit of a wonky eye

Seriously though, if anyone plays snooker but fancies improving can't recommend him highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I've taken up snooker recently, can obviously hit a pool ball about but was never much good at that so goes without saying i was hopeless at snooker as well. My brother read about Chris Small doing coaching so we got a lesson from him and even after an hours coaching it's made an unbelievable difference, amazing the amount of things i was doing wrong in what seems a fairly straight forward process, i always just assumed i had a bit of a wonky eye

Seriously though, if anyone plays snooker but fancies improving can't recommend him highly enough.

What has he changed, stance/cue grip/cue action? Just curious what he identified to improve you.

Love playing and watching Snooker. Play for a team in a Thursday night league. Used to practice regularly at The State snooker club when I was younger but not so much now. Used to have the pleasure of watching Chris Small practicing in the club aswell close season.

Love the Masters. Was quite impressed with Trumps comeback against Hawkins today. My tip would be Higgins as it is most tournaments. If your going to win a tourny then Higgins is the man to beat imo. Grinds out results all the time and when in full flow, his all round game is great to watch.

Circuit is more than competitive than ever these days and the snooker the likes of Robertson and Trump play is a joy to watch at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    What has he changed, stance/cue grip/cue action? Just curious what he identified to improve you.
    Pretty much everything, i never realised there was so much to it so i must have been really ***** before (you'll need to excuse some of my terminologies below)

seriously though, he adjusted my stance as my back foot was in the wrong place, my front hand was planted on the table wrong so the cueing was wobbly, i'm now holding the cue further down with my left hand (i'm left handed playing pool and snooker for some reason) and i'm also trying to remember and keep my chin lower, sure there's other things i can't think of just now as well.

To give you an idea of the difference i got a lesson about 3 weeks ago but never played again until Wednesday, first frame i forgot everything so i was just playing like i used to it and the frame was a shambles, total chaos, took about an hour for the frame, second frame i started to concentrate a bit more, thought about what he taught me and it got better, third frame we finished in about 15-20 mins and got a few 3 and 4 ball breaks which was night and day compared to the first frame although you'll probably laugh as i realise that's still not very good.

Interesting getting some of his chat about his time on the circuit as well, he wasn't very optimistic about the standard of young players coming through the ranks just now.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    My faither's favourite boozer was the old Newmarket Bar/Goth in Chesser Avenue so when it changed to Pockets Snooker Club he would take me along as he got a gig brushing the tables. I would get a few hours for free every weekend and soon became quite a useful player.

Haven't played for years though sadly and my eyes have deteriorated quite a bit so not sure what I'm like now
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Pretty much everything, i never realised there was so much to it so i must have been really ***** before (you'll need to excuse some of my terminologies below)

seriously though, he adjusted my stance as my back foot was in the wrong place, my front hand was planted on the table wrong so the cueing was wobbly, i'm now holding the cue further down with my left hand (i'm left handed playing pool and snooker for some reason) and i'm also trying to remember and keep my chin lower, sure there's other things i can't think of just now as well.

To give you an idea of the difference i got a lesson about 3 weeks ago but never played again until Wednesday, first frame i forgot everything so i was just playing like i used to it and the frame was a shambles, total chaos, took about an hour for the frame, second frame i started to concentrate a bit more, thought about what he taught me and it got better, third frame we finished in about 15-20 mins and got a few 3 and 4 ball breaks which was night and day compared to the first frame although you'll probably laugh as i realise that's still not very good.

Interesting getting some of his chat about his time on the circuit as well, he wasn't very optimistic about the standard of young players coming through the ranks just now.
    Good enough for me mate, especially now A couple of coaching sessions can certainly make all the difference, it's hard to change bad habits that have developed over the years but so rewarding to see the difference the small things can bring to your game. I hope you're using a left handed cue, I have one as I'm naturally left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Good enough for me mate, especially now A couple of coaching sessions can certainly make all the difference, it's hard to change bad habits that have developed over the years but so rewarding to see the difference the small things can bring to your game. I hope you're using a left handed cue, I have one as I'm naturally left handed.
    I never really enjoyed snooker before cos I was so bad at it, took too long but after that third frame I was absolutely buzzing for it, can't wait to get back playing again and definately going to get more lessons.

I'll assume you're taking the piss with the left hand cue comment......

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Like others have already mentioned, when snooker first appeared on the box I was totally hooked on the game and each of the top players seem to be a character in their own right.

It's a strange thing to say, but the game probably suffered as a TV spectacle because the players became too good and you almost expected a century break at each visit to the table.

I still tune in to the world championship but have a lesser interest in the other tournaments.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 16-01-2013 at 08:11 AM.

I had a membership @ The Davis Club in Annandale Street in the late 80s and used to play at Pockets most Saturday mornings back then.

I remember going to see Steven Hendry v Steve Davis round about 86/87 in Livingston, Davis won 6-2, but, you could see then that Hendry was going to be something special. IIRC he lost to W Thorne 10-8 in his first match at The Crucible, i remember being mesmerised watching it in The Davis Club when I shouldve been along the road @ Drummond High!

I watch snooker quite a bit, watch almost all of the World Championships and the UK Championships as well. I haven't been able to watch much of the Masters yet but it's something I like watching.

It's funny, most people complain about the slow, tactical play when no points are scored for ages but I actually enjoy watching that side of the game.

It'll be interesting to see if the governing bodies take up the advice of people like Judd Trump that snooker should become more like darts and have more vocal fans, music playing and a bigger introduction from the players when they first come on for their match.

It would be interesting to see if that would boost its profile.

Good match on just now in the Masters between Mark Selby and Stuart Bingham.

It's 5-5 and into a deciding frame and Selby is currently 40 points in front and at the table after Bingham held a 5-1 lead!

Live on Eurosport just now.

Selby wins 6-5 after winning five frames in a row.

Yesterday, Neil Robertson beat Mark Allen 6-5 & Shaun Murphy beat John Higgins 6-5. John was 5-4 up and had good chances to wrap it up but couldn't do so.

In today's match Graeme Dott thumped Judd Trump 6-1. Trump never got into the match and Dott just picked away at him, although he did make it hard for himself at times.

Mark Selby-Graeme Dott is going to a late night decider in the second semi final.

Dott was 4-1 up but Selby got it back to 4-4, only for Dott to go 5-4. However Selby's just levelled it again and they've just started the final frame.

and Selby wraps it up....

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Mark Selby-Graeme Dott is going to a late night decider in the second semi final.

Dott was 4-1 up but Selby got it back to 4-4, only for Dott to go 5-4. However Selby's just levelled it again and they've just started the final frame.
    Was scrappy stuff but couldn't take my eyes off it. Even missed MOTD to.watch it.

Think it was inevitable Selby was going to win when he got the 2 snookers to stop Dott going 5-1 up. Seemed to completely finish Graeme.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Was scrappy stuff but couldn't take my eyes off it. Even missed MOTD to.watch it.

Think it was inevitable Selby was going to win when he got the 2 snookers to stop Dott going 5-1 up. Seemed to completely finish Graeme.

It was gripping stuff throughout.

Dott's body language suggested to me that Selby had worn him down in the tactical battle and after that there was going to be one winner.

8pm (my big brother), 5-3. Could be another midnight finish.

Maybe not...

Anyone watching the Snooker Shootout?!

Watched a bit of it earlier.

As I was saying before, I do quite like watching snooker but I can't really get into that format.

It's too fast for my liking and the shot clock means that the players get rushed into playing shots and they make mistakes they wouldn't normally make.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

Tell you the truth, I think it's pretty decent. It has you on the edge of your seat at times. In my opinion it's a lot better than the professional snooker as that feels at times as if you are at a funeral. Whereas with the Snooker Shootout, anything can happen. I hope it gets better as its pretty good.