hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Deal For D?

New Deal For D?

Hibs look to extend David Wotherspoon's contract

WOTHERSPOON has been in top form this season and Pat Fenlon wants to tie him down on a longer deal.

HIBS are set to offer David Wotherspoon a new deal after his superb displays this season.

The 22-year-old, who was linked with Sheffield United last year, is out of contract in the summer and free to speak to other clubs.
    But the former Scotland Under-21 star has held informal talks with manager Pat Fenlon over his future following an impressive first half to the campaign.
    Fenlon has placed his faith in the midfielder and Wotherspoon has rewarded him with some fantastic displays on the right flank.
    That is sure to have attracted the attention of other clubs but it’s understood the player is keen to hold more formal negotiations with the Easter Road side first.
    A source close to Wotherspoon said: “Hibs have told David they would like to offer him a new contract.
    “Fenlon has spoken to David and said he wants to keep him.
    “So David is happy to speak to the club about a new deal.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...spoons-1532040

Hopefully he signs. Much improved this season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Think he has bought a house just outside Edinburgh with his burd.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fenlon?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Hibs look to extend David Wotherspoon's contract

WOTHERSPOON has been in top form this season and Pat Fenlon wants to tie him down on a longer deal.

HIBS are set to offer David Wotherspoon a new deal after his superb displays this season.

The 22-year-old, who was linked with Sheffield United last year, is out of contract in the summer and free to speak to other clubs.
    But the former Scotland Under-21 star has held informal talks with manager Pat Fenlon over his future following an impressive first half to the campaign.
    Fenlon has placed his faith in the midfielder and Wotherspoon has rewarded him with some fantastic displays on the right flank.
    That is sure to have attracted the attention of other clubs but it’s understood the player is keen to hold more formal negotiations with the Easter Road side first.
    A source close to Wotherspoon said: “Hibs have told David they would like to offer him a new contract.
    “Fenlon has spoken to David and said he wants to keep him.
    “So David is happy to speak to the club about a new deal.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...spoons-1532040

Hopefully he signs. Much improved this season
    Definately been much improved this season and his attitude after being binned for the final deserves a huge amount of credit so i'd be pleased for him if we gave him another year or two.

That said i'd love us to start playing with a bit more pace on the wing and he's still a bit inconsistant for my liking so if he was to turn this down or if it's not true and he ends up moving away i can't say i'd be overly bothered.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Think its out Kirkliston way

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Definately been much improved this season and his attitude after being binned for the final deserves a huge amount of credit so i'd be pleased for him if we gave him another year or two.

That said i'd love us to start playing with a bit more pace on the wing and he's still a bit inconsistant for my liking so if he was to turn this down or if it's not true and he ends up moving away i can't say i'd be overly bothered.
    Oh god and ithought this club was meant to be moving onwards, ???

Quote Originally Posted by stanton10 View Post
    All about opinions but he is a decent young player with good prospects. He has skill and pace and is fairly athletic. Very much a confidence player. I am in the camp that says we should try and keep him but not break the bank.

Take a look around the SPL and tell me how much it would cost to replace him with a better player. Some people want to open their eyes to the reality of just what constitutes a more than decent top league player in Scotland. Wotherspoon definitely falls in to that category.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Sky did a feature with him before the most recent derby an asked him about his contract situation, and all he would say was that he would be interested "if the deal was right". Didn't sound that enthusiastic (not that that necessarily means anything).

Wouldn't have cared at all had he left at the end of last season, but he has been a joy to watch at times this season, and has contributed a great deal.

Thing is, will he get offered an improved deal? And should he be entitled to one? I reckon he could well be offered terms on less money, which obviously won't go down well.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Take a look around the SPL and tell me how much it would cost to replace him with a better player. Some people want to open their eyes to the reality of just what constitutes a more than decent top league player in Scotland. Wotherspoon definitely falls in to that category.

I would give hime a long term deal. At this time of loans and short term deals we need some consistency. Guys like Spoony are good SPL players and know what it means to play for Hibs. We need a good fewof these types around the place and in the team.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He would be a good squad player imo, but if we are to progress we need better wide players. Wotherspoon has done reasonably well on the right, and deserves a new contract, like on the left, Cairney should be a better option for us in the middle if the rumour about Craig is true, the same might be the case with Wotherspoon?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He would be a good squad player imo, but if we are to progress we need better wide players. Wotherspoon has done reasonably well on the right, and deserves a new contract, like on the left, Cairney should be a better option for us in the middle if the rumour about Craig is true, the same might be the case with Wotherspoon?
    He's also quite versatile, again something you need in a squad.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    A good SPL player and that is the market we are in. If he can rediscover his form from a few years ago (still say his best ever game was his first against St Mirren at ER) then we have a good player in our team.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AberGreen View Post
    He's also quite versatile, again something you need in a squad.

Coaching Staff
    Good player to keep but him and Cairney need competition. If they are not in top form then we don't create. Pat knows this of course but I doubt we will see any new wingers until the summer.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Sky did a feature with him before the most recent derby an asked him about his contract situation, and all he would say was that he would be interested "if the deal was right".
    If I was Petrie I'd only be extending his contract if the deal was right as well. I think this season he's shown that he's probably deserving of a contract but in no way an improved one. Definite improvements but I think he's incredibly frustrating at times. Definitely not worth pushing the budget for.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    If I was Petrie I'd only be extending his contract if the deal was right as well. I think this season he's shown that he's probably deserving of a contract but in no way an improved one. Definite improvements but I think he's incredibly frustrating at times. Definitely not worth pushing the budget for.
    I would agree, think he'd be doing very well to get offered the same terms. He could no doubt get better offers elsewhere though, and I'm not that sure that DW will be with us next season. I hope he is though.

@hibs.net private member
    So you would just throw away a lad who has come on leaps and bounds this season after the investment of time and energy that's been put into him over a number of years would you??? Brain of Britain you are NOT - thank f*** we don't have a numpty like you in charge who would not take very long at all to make a right pig's ear of things!

For me Wotherspoon has really proven his worth this season and I'll be very happy to see him extend his deal for another 2 or 3 seasons - he has come on a lot recently and the great thing is he'll probably keep learning and get more effective still over the next couple of years.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Spoony has shown his best form when he hasn't been shuffled around.

I would agree, think he'd be doing very well to get offered the same terms. He could no doubt get better offers elsewhere though, and I'm not that sure that DW will be with us next season. I hope he is though.
    He could quite easily justify a better deal. Last one was signed as a youth team graduate just into to the first team, now he's pretty much a seasoned regular. Its as much based on status than on what we think his form is.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    He could quite easily justify a better deal. Last one was signed as a youth team graduate just into to the first team, now he's pretty much a seasoned regular. Its as much based on status than on what we think his form is.
    He signed an improved deal in his first season with us, and when we were much better of financially than we are now.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20091218/wotherspoon-extends-contract-_2262950_1908644

He would do very well to get the same terms IMO - it can't be ignored that his best form has come when he first broke into the team and before that extension was signed, and then now when it is about to end. I hope he stays but I don't see him as a top earner.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 13-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.

He signed an improved deal in his first season with us, and when we were much better of financially than we are now.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20091218/wotherspoon-extends-contract-_2262950_1908644

He would do very well to get the same terms IMO - it can't be ignored that his best form has come when he first broke into the team and before that extension was signed, and then now when it is about to end. I hope he stays but I don't see him as a top earner.
    Forgot about the improved deal, apologies.

He's a mid-earner at best, but well worth keeping.

Forgot about the improved deal, apologies.

He's a mid-earner at best, but well worth keeping.
    Agreed!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    My info is as follows;

1. He has bought a house with his girlfriend in Kirkliston as posted earlier in the thread. I'm positive about this.

2. Not so sure about this. D offered a deal, he wouldn't commit (possibly being offered to other clubs by his agent). D returned to Hibs saying he would sign only to be told it was no longer on the table but Hibs were prepared to negotiate again but with less money than originally offered.

My take;

1. I would like to keep him as I think after levelling off he is improving again.

2. By buying a house locally we must have a good chance of reaching an agreement without busting the bank.

3. I wouldn't go overboard to sign him, if he wants too much let him look elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

So he's likely to go in the summer?

Decent test for where Hibs are heading to see how someone like Wotherspoon is replaced.

@hibs.net private member
    I think he has improved on last season and I would keep him on same wages as now if he is prepared to stay.

However I have to disagree with whoever reckoned he had pace.

He is very frustrating in that 9 times out of 10 he turns back instead of taking his man on. When he has taken them on he usually either scores or creates a goal.

His main problem is his lack of awareness in tracking back. Very poor at helping out which is surprising since he played full back for a season.
    We have lost a lot of goals down that side through his failure to track back. No coincedence we kept clean sheets against Celtic and hearts as Doyle worked his socks off out on that wing

Reasonable squad player but wouldn't be bursting the budget to keep him

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart7-0 View Post
    I think he has improved on last season and I would keep him on same wages as now if he is prepared to stay.

However I have to disagree with whoever reckoned he had pace.

He is very frustrating in that 9 times out of 10 he turns back instead of taking his man on. When he has taken them on he usually either scores or creates a goal.

His main problem is his lack of awareness in tracking back. Very poor at helping out which is surprising since he played full back for a season.
    We have lost a lot of goals down that side through his failure to track back. No coincedence we kept clean sheets against Celtic and hearts as Doyle worked his socks off out on that wing

Reasonable squad player but wouldn't be bursting the budget to keep him
    Agree about the defensive side of DW´s game, should be better.

Disagree about the turning back bit completely. He is the only player in the team that can take a man on and do so from further back on the field. Cairney does this effectively from close to 18 yd line, DW can do this from range.

The hardest thing in football is creating something, usually by beating a man and moving into space. IMO DW is the best in the side at doing so. Still think he is best used a s centre mid, a foil to the more destructive talents of Deegan and Claros.

New deal , absolutely.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

Agree about the defensive side of DW´s game, should be better.

Disagree about the turning back bit completely. He is the only player in the team that can take a man on and do so from further back on the field. Cairney does this effectively from close to 18 yd line, DW can do this from range.

The hardest thing in football is creating something, usually by beating a man and moving into space. IMO DW is the best in the side at doing so. Still think he is best used a s centre mid, a foil to the more destructive talents of Deegan and Claros.

New deal , absolutely.
    That's ma point about him turning back

He can beat his man as we have seen against Mothwrwell and Hearts in the cup and then score but he very rarely does it and that is what frustrates me

So he's likely to go in the summer?

Decent test for where Hibs are heading to see how someone like Wotherspoon is replaced.
    Maybe if Liam Craig is to come in Pat may see Cairney on the right or Doyle there with cairney behind Griff if he stays.

I agree DW has improved but can also see how he frustrates some people. I actually think Doyle gives us more in that position.

Would keep him on a Lewis type 1 year deal, doesn't warrant breaking the bank for and can't imagine there will be clubs queuing up for him offering more than we would.