hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Robson breaks to go 10-9 up and will serve for the match again!

This match has been going for about 3 hours now!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not best tennis but its gripping stuff. Just needs to hold her serve. Mon Laura

Laura Robson beats Petra Kvitova 2-6 6-3 11-9 after 3 hours!

What a match, brilliant win for her!

Well done, Laura!

Great effort by Laura, not the highest standard of game, but, great result all the same.

Not going well for Heather Watson at the moment. She's 6-3 3-0 down just now against Agnieszka Radwanska.

Could be a potential classic on Rod Laver Arena at 8am as Venus Williams plays Maria Sharapova. I think Sharapova will be the overwhelming favourite but Venus certainly has the experience to trouble her.

Should be a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not going well for Heather Watson at the moment. She's 6-3 3-0 down just now against Agnieszka Radwanska.

Could be a potential classic on Rod Laver Arena at 8am as Venus Williams plays Maria Sharapova. I think Sharapova will be the overwhelming favourite but Venus certainly has the experience to trouble her.

Should be a cracker.
    Screechfest

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Screechfest
    I assume the only possible way of watching that match would have been with the volume off and a bit of card covering over whichever part of the screen Venus was occupying.

Sharapova murdered her on-court right?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I assume the only possible way of watching that match would have been with the volume off and a bit of card covering over whichever part of the screen Venus was occupying.

Sharapova murdered her on-court right?
    Yep. 6-1, 6-3.

I believe she also out grunted her by 25 decibels

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Yep. 6-1, 6-3.

I believe she also out grunted her by 25 decibels
    I'm a bit surprised by the margin of that victory to be honest. I certainly expected Sharapova to win it as Venus isn't the player she was a few years ago and I think her health problems have really caught up with her, but I would have thought she would have won more than four games.

Another poor bit of scheduling from a British point of view as Andy Murray is due on court against Ricardas Berankis at around 3am tomorrow. I don't expect him to encounter too many issues in that match but it would be nice to actually see him play!

All the midnight matches seem to be women's matches and the good men's ties are all during the middle of the night.

Laura Robson is on in the early hours as well against Sloane Stephens. Hers is the third match on show court 2, which should mean she's on at around 4am.

First set to Murray. Del Potro who he could face in q/f is 2-1 in sets.

2nd set to Murray 6-4. Berankis is some player. He's got Murray rattled but Murray hung in there.

Del Potro going to a 5th set

Del Potro out. Murray serving for match for the second time.

Murray through. The Lithuanian lad has a big future based on that display though

I didn't see any of Murray's match this morning as I had to be up quite early for work, although I gather it was far from perfect.

However it's another straight sets victory for him, going into the last 16 and he'll no longer have Del Potro to worry about in the quarter finals.

I cannot believe that he lost to Jeremy Chardy. I have seen that guy a couple of times at Wimbledon and he was hopeless and has never really done anything of any real note in his career.

Murray should now have a free route to the semis. He plays Gilles Simon next and he has won the last 9 matches between the pair and Simon's only victory came on clay (Murray's worst surface) before Murray's 20th birthday. I really don't expect any problems there, particularly over five sets.

He would then play either Jeremy Chardy or Andreas Seppi in the quarter finals and I'm sure he would have settled for that at the start of the tournament. He's not lost to Seppi since he was 19 years old and although Chardy beat him last year for the first time at the Cincinnati Masters, it was only a week or so after Murray's exploits at the Olympics.

I fully expect him to get to the semis where he'll probably face Roger Federer. He faces Milos Raonic next, who I think he will beat and then either Richard Gasquet or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter finals.

I can't see it not being a Murray-Federer semi final at the end of next week.

Disappointing for Laura Robson that she couldn't follow up her impressive victory over Petra Kvitova with a win over Sloane Stephens, it's a match she should have been looking to win so she'll be a bit disappointed with that. It's all experience for her I suppose.

Djokovic v Wawrinka

Its into a 5th set. Wawrinka broke the 1st game but Djokovic broke right back in the 2nd. Good stuff to watch from both players.

Murray and Federer will be loving this.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Murray and Federer will be loving this.

So will Berdych!

10-10 in the final set now, how long do we think this is gonna go for?

This is ridiculous.

Brilliant viewing. Djokovic wins it 12-10 on his 3rd match point after one of the best rallies in a long time. Unbelievable fitness from both players.

Djokovic goes through, wins 5th set 12-10. Some match that was!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Fantastic game. For me, tennis is the greatest 1 v 1 sport in the world and that match showed why. Great coverage on Eurosport. Up early for Murray tomorrow.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Should be good news for berdych but nole played a 5 hr semi last year and then done a 6 hr final.

Fancy Murray to take Simon quite easily tomorrow as he looked out on his feet after monfils match.

Think federer will beat raonic but it could be a long game and play into murrays hands.

Absolutely gutted that I was working today and had to leave it midway through the second set!

Wawrinka was totally unplayable for at least the first set and a half, Djokovic simply didn't know what to do.

If it had been anyone else (apart from Murray perhaps) who had won a match like that then I would say that they would be easy pickings for their next opponent but Djokovic is just something else. His fitness levels are simply unbelievable, he's up there as one of the best athletes in the world right now and he showed last year, when he beat Murray after 5 hours and then Nadal after almost 6 hours, in the semi and final that he is able to cope with long matches.

He now plays Tomas Berdych in the quarter finals on Tuesday, who he has a great record against and who I would fully expect him to beat. Berdych may take a set off him but I think Djokovic will come through that match. I actually think Djokovic could go on a very similar run to Andy Murray at last year's US Open when Murray was 6-3 5-1 down to Marin Cilic in the quarter finals and came back to win, not only the match but the whole tournament.

Andy Murray is going for his 9th consecutive Grand Slam quarter final appearance tomorrow when he faces Gilles Simon. The match is on at 6am and I cannot see anything other than a victory for Murray there.

Not sure if I'll be up for that one but I'll certainly try to watch the Federer-Raonic match which will start about 10am. I think Federer will win that one but it should be a good match.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Well done to the guy with the Hibs strip on supporting Murray

Easy win for Murray today. He raced through two sets while I got ready for work.

Couldn't bring myself to get up at 6am this morning to watch Murray and in a way I'm quite glad I didn't as it doesn't seem like it was much of a contest.

I'm not really surprised given Simon's record against him and also the long match he had in the last round. I don't think Simon gave himself much hope of doing anything either.

Murray has the easiest draw out of anyone in the quarter finals against Jeremy Chardy. I cannot believe he's got this far! There really shouldn't be any question marks about this result.

I'm just watching the master taking the apprentice apart at the moment with Roger Federer against Milos Raonic. A lot of people are tipping Raonic to be the next big thing but on this showing, he's still got a long way to go before he can live with the best. Two fairly tight opening sets went the way of Federer, 6-4 7-5, and it looks like that has broken Raonic's resistance as Federer is currently 4-0 up in the third.

The winner of this one will play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Wednesday.

I see on your q/f predictions FH you got 7/8 right. Good going

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    I see on your q/f predictions FH you got 7/8 right. Good going
    I know I've said it before on here but I really can't believe Jeremy Chardy knocked out Juan Martin Del Potro!

Probably the biggest surprise of the whole tournament.

Still, 7/8 isn't bad!

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I know I've said it before on here but I really can't believe Jeremy Chardy knocked out Juan Martin Del Potro!

Probably the biggest surprise of the whole tournament.

Still, 7/8 isn't bad!
    Aye it's no bad :)

I reckon the top 4 seeds will make the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Aye it's no bad :)

I reckon the top 4 seeds will make the semis.
    Yep.

Murray should be a certainty against Chardy. I cannot see him having any problems at all.
    I reckon Ferrer will have too much for Almagro over five sets.
    Djokovic has a fantastic record against Berdych and if anyone can recover from a tough match like he had yesterday then it's Djokovic.
    Federer also has a good record against Tsonga and in their only previous meeting at the Australian Open in 2010, Federer took him apart. Tsonga can be a dangerous opponent though and beat Federer at Wimbledon a couple of years ago after being two sets down. I believe Federer will win that one though.

I'm going for;

Djokovic v Ferrer
    Federer v Murray