hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Hibs Gers League Cup Final 1993

Went to dismantle an old bed at my mums and found the programme.

It was the final when Super Swally came off the bench 1st game back after breaking a leg in Portugal - "the night a (scotland) team died" - SFA should have heeded the warning then...

Off the bench and scored a cracker with an overhead kick iirc from a Donkey? Throw-in. We'd competed well just wasn't to be. mcCoist was
    to break the record For cup winners medals for any player that day. Jammy bass!

Some insightful notes from the programme..

"Trophy haul proves it's money well spent...

Rangers have emerged as Scottish footballs success story since the Ibrox 'revolution' of 1986. And, along the way, they have slaughtered the commonly held theory stating that, in this day business, spending vast amounts of money guarantees nothing other than a serious overdraft.

It was the boldness and ambition of Graeme Sounness backed
    By the vision and hard cash of owner David Murray, that has allowed Rangers to assemble a squad
    of players who have virtually monopolised the domestic games prizes over the past seven years"

A certain J Traynor pens a gushing article on Super Swally in the penultimate piece. The more things change the more they stay the same ;)
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 09-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aye me and my wife got spat on by Huns in front of the polis who did nowt about it.

Dave 50p piece heid McPherson og for Hibs.

Band playing flute music at half time.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Ah yes and it was my first taste (and only!) of Parkhead nice!

Teams From

Hibs:
    Leighton, Reid, Miller, Beaumont, McIntyre, Hunter, Tweed, Mitchell, Hamilton, Farrell, Findlay, O'Neill, McAllister, Evans, Jackson, Wright, Donald.

Gers:
    Maxwell, Scott, Stevens, Robertson, Wishart, Gough, mcPherson, Pressley, 'oh my leg' Kouznerzov, Mikhailitchenko, Hagen, Murray, Steven, McCall, Durrant, I ferguson, D Ferguson, McCoist, Hateley, Huistra.

Pretty Decent Hibs team assembled!!!!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye me and my wife got spat on by Huns in front of the polis who did nowt about it.

That ****** Band lol Hibs fans were going mental. We had a good team back then.

That band got "gifted" a few pies mind...

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Geebsy missed a sitter just before Sally scored. Skied the ball over the bar from 6 yds

Was just watching this the other day, still think it was a penalty when Keith Wright went round Maxwell.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    It was dangerous play.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Remember the band, one of our party was unfortunately one of those who rose to the bait as the neutral choice of half time entertainment came our way, he nearly got over the fence but the polis never hung about then, he got nicked and kept in over night, saddest part was he was the barman from the pub we left from and he came on a spare ticket - was actually a celtc fan!

Still can't believe that band was felt appropriate though.
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 10-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    It was dangerous play.
    I've always said this...but no way in those days was a ref brave enough to give the call, he nearly took Hunters head off, ridiculous decision in my book.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    I've always said this...but no way in those days was a ref brave enough to give the call, he nearly took Hunters head off, ridiculous decision in my book.
    Disagree nothing wrong with the goal. If a Hibs player had scored that and it had been disallowed we would have went nuts.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Definitely should have had the penalty.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Definitely should have had the penalty.
    Nah, complete dive IMO no contact at all.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    It was dangerous play.
    The flute band or maxwell?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It was dangerous play.
    How dangerous? Goalie leading with his arms and on the deck. . Keith dived,unfortunately there was no contact. He should have stayed on his feet and scored from that position.

Huns dominated but we had a good spell and could have scored more than the deflected goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Disagree nothing wrong with the goal. If a Hibs player had scored that and it had been disallowed we would have went nuts.
    Opinions eh?...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    How dangerous? Goalie leading with his arms and on the deck. . Keith dived,unfortunately there was no contact. He should have stayed on his feet and scored from that position.

Huns dominated but we had a good spell and could have scored more than the deflected goal.
    Jackson missed a chance at the far post. IIRC he was in a fight for fitness in the run up to the game and it showed in this match.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by neilmartinrocks View Post
    The flute band or maxwell?

Neither Cheeky chappy's overhead kick.

Neither Cheeky chappy's overhead kick.
    Yes indeed the Kebab shop warriors goal was high feet, especially when a player was in the vicinity and could have challenged for the ball. Lucky bassa.

Ps: I love the Golden Ass-quality read from the Roman world.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    It was dangerous play.
    No it wasn't, Lucius. It was a penalty but the referee would have had to red-card Maxwell if he'd given it. There had been a heavy shower of rain just around KO and the grass was slick - Maxwell slid into Keith and clipped him.

But the Rangers-supporting commentators shouted loud and long; the Rangers players said it was a dive, and the referee agreed with them.

We were robbed.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DuNdEeHiBeE
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    No it wasn't, Lucius. It was a penalty but the referee would have had to red-card Maxwell if he'd given it. There had been a heavy shower of rain just around KO and the grass was slick - Maxwell slid into Keith and clipped him.

But the Rangers-supporting commentators shouted loud and long; the Rangers players said it was a dive, and the referee agreed with them.

We were robbed.
    I was in the jungle at park head that day always remember that huge flag someone had about Richard gough simply the beast haha it was a beauty

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes indeed the Kebab shop warriors goal was high feet, especially when a player was in the vicinity and could have challenged for the ball. Lucky bassa.

Ps: I love the Golden Ass-quality read from the Roman world.
    Have a look at fiduciary seeding Funnily enough, the man below is the only person who understood where I got the name and why.

We were robbed.
    I actually missed the game mate, not a clue where I was in the world. Missus and brats were there obviously. Only think I recall from seeing it was the overhead kick in what looked like a crowded box.

We were robbed.
    We would have to ask Keith.

The clip from You Tube posted shows earlier no contact was made.Maxwell went in leading with his mitts and pulled out before contact was made. Keith would have to have hurdled him to avoid contact, he choose to hurdle and dive. I notice they had a defender closing in behind Maxwell. I think Keith choose the wrong option.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 10-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.

That band got "gifted" a few pies mind...
    I was pretty young at the time (5 or 6) but remember the band coming round by the Hibs end and getting showered with coins, pies etc. Lol.
    They tried to appease the Hibs support with a solitary "drum drum...drum drum drum...drum drum drum drum...HIBEES!!" tune.

Also remember getting flung from the top of a crush barrier in the madness when Hibs equalised and getting lost under a melee of bodies. Think the old man forgot I was there and ended up 10-15metres away in the celebrations.

First Team Breakthrough
    It was actually a great day out, apart from the result. Went through on a minibus, and some guys on it, for some reason, had water pistols. When we got to the old Newbridge turnoff onto the M8, there were Huns there waiting for a bus and the boys beckoned them over to the bus then let the have it with the guns.
    In Glasgow, a Celtic fan in the pub pulled up his sleeve and had about six Rollex watches on his arm in between the puncture marks which he offered me for my ticket.
    Can remember waiting to get in and Celtic officials were giving it tight to the Huns fans from the club offices.
    The band were actually Italian, but the choice of Orange was unfortunate. When they came around behind the goals, and we're getting pelted, a Hibbies ran out of the crowd and put a scarf around one of the drummers. To be fair, we more than matched them that day, when they were at their peak and it WAS a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    It was actually a great day out, apart from the result. Went through on a minibus, and some guys on it, for some reason, had water pistols. When we got to the old Newbridge turnoff onto the M8, there were Huns there waiting for a bus and the boys beckoned them over to the bus then let the have it with the guns.
    In Glasgow, a Celtic fan in the pub pulled up his sleeve and had about six Rollex watches on his arm in between the puncture marks which he offered me for my ticket.
    Can remember waiting to get in and Celtic officials were giving it tight to the Huns fans from the club offices.
    The band were actually Italian, but the choice of Orange was unfortunate. When they came around behind the goals, and we're getting pelted, a Hibbies ran out of the crowd and put a scarf around one of the drummers. To be fair, we more than matched them that day, when they were at their peak and it WAS a penalty.
    No it wasn´t (wink).