hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who was the last Hibs Legend?

With the departure of Ivan Sproule to pastures anew imminent, I've got thinking. Which player of recent times, if any worthy, could be classed as legendary? I see Ivan as a strong candidate for one of the last Hibs legends, for his Ibrox escapades and the League Cup victory, although I don't feel Kevin Thomson qualifies, as he left at a time when his career was on the cusp of flourishing, and never won any silver wear in the famous green and white ( a lot of that class are disputed because in my eyes their careers could have properly flourished if they stayed for another 2 or so years).

So how would youse tally up who's worthy, and who isnae?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    For me Franck Sauzee is our most recent genuine Hibs legend....I don't feel the likes of Fletcher, O'Connor etc albeit quality payers, did enough to warrant "legend" status .....

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me Franck Sauzee is our most recent genuine Hibs legend....I don't feel the likes of Fletcher, O'Connor etc albeit quality payers, did enough to warrant "legend" status .....
    This. Although maybe with the likes of Fletcher we didn't know what we had until he was gone?

Sauzee and Latapy. Murphy very close too.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I wonder how we classify a Hibs legend?

Success on the park?, brilliant individual skills?, a true leader?, provider of memorable moment(s)? great service to the club? a mixture of all these things?

The only one true legend in my lifetime is none other than the great Pat Stanton.

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Derek Riordan

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Sauzee and Latapy. Murphy very close too.
    Latapy would be a no for me based on the way it ended.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Derek Riordan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    With the departure of Ivan Sproule to pastures anew imminent, I've got thinking. Which player of recent times, if any worthy, could be classed as legendary? I see Ivan as a strong candidate for one of the last Hibs legends, for his Ibrox escapades and the League Cup victory, although I don't feel Kevin Thomson qualifies, as he left at a time when his career was on the cusp of flourishing, and never won any silver wear in the famous green and white ( a lot of that class are disputed because in my eyes their careers could have properly flourished if they stayed for another 2 or so years).

pre bosman, a legend was someone who played at a club for the majority of their career or had an affinity for the club and its fans and turned in brilliant performances while at the club....off the top of my head i would say legends of the recent old school would be players like Gordon Rae, Pat McGinlay, Mikey Weir, Steve Archibald, Gordon Hunter, Keith Wright, Alan Rough, Darren Jackson, Russel Latapy, Mixu, Rob Jones, Derek Riordan, Gary O'Connor..........ect ect...we've got loads of them

nowadays a legend can be defined by the mark they left on the club, how they related to the support and how the support related to them...in this instance it is undeniable that Ivan Sproule will always be a Hibs Legend

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Sauzee and Latapy were classy players but in my opinion the last Legend was Pat Stanton. No player has come close since.

Rob Jones for me.

We don't have too many cup winning captains so they all qualify as legends imo.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Franck Sauzee easily. The last player to leave Hibs that oozed class on and off the field.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Deeks qualifies for Hibees legendary status due to his 100 goals for the club allied to his abilities with a football. Unfortunately his abilities actually became legandary within his own career due to what seemed like a lack of application on his part, resulting in a steady decline - 100+ Hibs goals scored for the first time since Joe Baker back in the 60s/70s works for me on the legendary front though

Ivan's hatrick at Ibrox is indeed the stuff of legend and it doesn't hurt that he wears his heart on his sleeve and it bleeds green!

Sauzee and Latapy qualify in terms of their phenomenal ability although it's fair to say that Latas blotted his copy book somewhat by getting himself sacked and then joining the huns

Other candidates would include Mixu - hatrick vs the Yams in the 6-2 followed by a stint as manager - and Johnny Collins - a favourite son who returned after a glittering career to help us to League Cup glory!

For me the league cup winners from 2007 are legends. As a club we don't win dozens of trophies so we have to enjoy the success when it comes along and praise those who bring it.

The older lads can name the 72 side with ease. The 91 team trips off the tongue ( we'll no mention Beaumont ) and we all know the 07 side. All legends for the joy they brought to Hibs fans

First Team Breakthrough Jim_in_Canada's Avatar
    For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
    Joe Baker
    Pat Stanton

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    My last legend was Sauzee, some folk younger than me might not have even seen him, and someone from the 2007 cup winning side could be legends to them?

Ivan gave us a legendary performance at ibrox, a performance we will talk about for years, but a legend, not for me.

Having a legend is every fans right, we dont have to all agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Rob Jones for me.

We don't have too many cup winning captains so they all qualify as legends imo.
    That would mean Murdo Macleod qualifies as a Hibs Legend as well. Not for me.

Interesting that to qualify as a Hearts Legend (Robbo, Medals Mackay) it's a requirement you win NO trophies

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post

Ivan Sproule.........Hibs Legend?????????????? I can't quite believe that any supporter actually classes him as a legend, each to their own I suppose but not for me, no chance.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 08-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Frank Sauzee for me.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    That would mean Murdo Macleod qualifies as a Hibs Legend as well. Not for me.

Interesting that to qualify as a Hearts Legend (Robbo, Medals Mackay) it's a requirement you win NO trophies
    He is oot fur no passin the cup back
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Rod Petrie.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    When I eventually have bairns and grandbairns and I'm reminiscing to them I'll probably tell them about Sauzee, Latapy and Deek. We've had a lot of good players and players I've liked but none others that I think I'll still be talking about in 50 years.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Canada View Post
    For me it is only :

Gordon Smith
    Joe Baker
    Pat Stanton
    I would agree plus add "Last Minute" to the three above.

Bottom line is - it depends on how each of us define "a Legend"
    It's like the word "Hero". Is a hero someone who scores a crucial goal or someone who risks his life to save others? There's a BIG difference in the definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Ivan Sproule.........Hibs Legend?????????????? I can't quite believe that any supporter actually classes him as a legend, each to their own I suppose but not for me, no chance.
    What about us younger fans? I only started going to games regularly after Sauzee's time, so can't really connect with him as a legend, even though I remember him. Sproule was the player that, as a fan, I instantly connected with and became a favourite player of mine, especially for the part he played in the two 3-0 games and the CIS Cup
    Final. I always got the impression that he genuinely loved the club and gave his all every time he played. He's a player that always got me excited when he got the ball and part of a team that made going to Easter Road fun.

Agree with the poster that said that legends don't have to be the same for everyone. But Ivan Sproule is definitely one for me.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    All depends on how a person classes a " Legend ".

To me it would be any player who there were numerous stories told about, ( they don't all have to be true ) and us Hibies can have a good crack about and remember good times at football matches.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    All depends on how a person classes a " Legend ".

To me it would be any player who there were numerous stories told about, ( they don't all have to be true ) and us Hibies can have a good crack about and remember good times at football matches.
    In that case, Konte has to be considered. 'Numerous stories' is an understatement there.

For me, David Murphy is a wee legend. He simply oozed class and strolled his way through games. He was only at ER a short time, but enough time to make that attacking left back role his and to deliver yet another consistent shift when part of the 2007 cup winning team. He is the best left back I personally have seen since Erich Schaedler way back in the 70s. He loved his time at Hibs and always talked highly of our club. A proper gentleman off the field and inspiring performer and team mate on it. Yep..for me, a wee legend. Thank you, David.

In that case, Konte has to be considered. 'Numerous stories' is an understatement there.
    There is no doubt about Kuqi's legendary status!

Sauzee. Nobody else comes close in my time supporting the club.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    God and le God! Head and shoulders above all others since I've been watching Hibs. Best is in his own right a legend but questionable if he's a Hibs legend.