hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

McGivern to stay? (media "understands" he's staying until end of season)

According to the Scotsman twitter feed.

There is a quote attributed to him as well, says we'll know in the next week hopefully.

It'd be grand if he stayed.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 08-01-2013 at 05:11 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Off the bar's Avatar
    Fingers crossed he stays, motm on thursday imo

would b a fantastic signing. Sell on potential aswell

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Always thought he was the likeliest of the three to stay, City won't want him, won't be bothered about the sort of fee they could get for him and given that he hasn't performed at lower league English clubs, probably wouldn't be in high demand.

Will be great to get him tied up at least until the summer.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I wonder if it means stay long term or stay till the end of the season?

I think all 3 loan players will stay.

Would like to see him stay.

Good though he is its unlikely he'll be breaking into the Man City first team and getting a new contract there so hopefully we can sort something out with them and him.

It would be great if he could stay, ideally on a 2 1/2 year deal but we'd all have to acknowledge that he would be with us for no more than 18 months.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    For players like McGivern, I don't think there is anything wrong with selling them a deal that includes cutting them in on any transfer fee.

First Team Breakthrough 1875HFC's Avatar
    personally he has been my player of the season so far. Solid at the back and cool under pressure, doesnt just punt it away aimlessly unless theres nothing else for it! suppose he is on the books of Man City so he must be ding something right

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always thought he was the likeliest of the three to stay, City won't want him, won't be bothered about the sort of fee they could get for him and given that he hasn't performed at lower league English clubs, probably wouldn't be in high demand.

Will be great to get him tied up at least until the summer.
    Am sure he's been on loan at a few lower league clubs was he not at Bristol city last season don't know we're I seen that so maybe ave just made that up lol would be great if he signed a long term deal tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cammy1969 View Post
    Am sure he's been on loan at a few lower league clubs was he not at Bristol city last season don't know we're I seen that so maybe ave just made that up lol would be great if he signed a long term deal tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are correct.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...layer_id=49747

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875HFC View Post
    personally he has been my player of the season so far. Solid at the back and cool under pressure, doesnt just punt it away aimlessly unless theres nothing else for it! suppose he is on the books of Man City so he must be ding something right
    I'm a fan of McGivern as much as the next guy but if you watched him against Hearts you'll have seen every time he got the ball it was a punt up the park. Even when he had time he'd do this, although he wasn't the only one guilty of this.

That being said, I would love for him to stay. Think he's a very solid, versatile defender and great in the air.

For me as important as Leigh- wins everything in the air and very cool under pressure.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Hibby View Post
    For me as important as Leigh- wins everything in the air and very cool under pressure.
    my mate said that one of the papers saying Celtic have put in a bid for Leigh?

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    dont want to pour cold water on this, but its not the Scotsman who are reporting this, its the Daily Mail who also state that he is on loan until March, not January.

Hope it is true though!

As for sparky to celtic. Doubt it

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    my mate said that one of the papers saying Celtic have put in a bid for Leigh?
    No bid as yet but they're "pondering" the situation according to the Sunday Post .

First Team Breakthrough 1875HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    I'm a fan of McGivern as much as the next guy but if you watched him against Hearts you'll have seen every time he got the ball it was a punt up the park. Even when he had time he'd do this, although he wasn't the only one guilty of this.

That being said, I would love for him to stay. Think he's a very solid, versatile defender and great in the air.
    Granted that was the one game he did do that, been hanging about with hanlon too much, think he just couldnt be bothered giving the ball to the midfield, thought he would just try and service Griffiths himself. Probably more chance of that working...

I think mcgiverns defensive efforts has been every bit as responsible for our fortunes this season as sparkys goals. If either one of those guys don't stay I fear the season may begin to slide.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875HFC View Post
    Granted that was the one game he did do that, been hanging about with hanlon too much, think he just couldnt be bothered giving the ball to the midfield, thought he would just try and service Griffiths himself. Probably more chance of that working...
    No need for the wee dig at Hanlon. The lad has been very good for us this year.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I would love all three of the guys on loan to stay. Man city might let us take McGivern for the rest of the season as I doubt he will break into that City defence. He's out of contract at the end of the season so I hope we can start discussions about a pre-contract.

I don't know about Claros. I would like to see him stay but didn't his club not put like a £900K price tag on him when Rankers had him on trial and wanted to buy him. That's what put them off as they obviously couldn't afford it and we stole him from under their noses on a 1 year loan. If that's still the price tag his team wants then we have no chance of signing him. Best way we have is trying to extend the loan until the end of the season at least.

Also Griffiths is a must, even if it is till the end of the season. I really fear on where will the goals come from if he does go back to Wolves or elsewhere in this window. The sacking of their manager doesn't help at all and if the new gaffer likes the look of Griffiths then it's going to be hard to keep him. Also maybe Leigh might be happy with the sacking at Wolves and feel as if he will be given a proper chance down there. I'm sure paddy and rod are trying their utmost best to get something sorted with wolves but we all know it's not in their hands. Also Leigh will have other offers on his table that could match or better his wage at Molineux that could be very financially benefiting to him and his family. It's up to him where he wants to be after January. I sincerely hope he is still in a Hibs jersey after the transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    No need for the wee dig at Hanlon. The lad has been very good for us this year.
    Agree !!!
    Wee squeek from East Mains - McG could POSSIBLY sign a 'pre-contract' this week

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Agree !!!
    Wee squeek from East Mains - McG could POSSIBLY sign a 'pre-contract' this week
    He won't sign anything for a few days at least, he's on a flight to New York.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    There was an option for Hibs in McG's original loan deal, something to do with an option to buy. Don't know the criteria though.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post

McGivern does tend to punt from the back quite a lot.

Not sure if it's something he's been told to do or not.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post

Since his arrival, he's been Hibernianised.

I think at the moment, and certainly at the yammatch everyone was under orders to clear their lines.

The thing I like about McGivern is that normally when he's clearing his lines he finds a Hibs player and when he's heading a ball its to a Hibs player rather than just somewhere up the park / to one of them.

I’d be delighted if he stayed. I don’t give a hoot about his resale value, his value to the club and attracting better quality players all round is IMO more important at the moment.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post

I think he punts when nothing else on. Dont have a great issue with that as anyone can see he is a decent player with the ball at his feet. Would be a great signing if we can get him on a permanent deal.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Ryan has been a standout every time I have seen him play. His performance in the Scottish against the yams was outstanding.

I remembered when he signed I read a thread on the Bristol City forum where they dissed him badly ...dug up the thread here: http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/top...ryan-mcgivern/

Just goes to show that football fans can be very poor judges of a player although to be fair one poster did seem to spot the boy was making progress....I don't see the lack of pace nor the poor positioning though maybe he was just too young and playing with a team that didn't suit...