hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smoking at football

Last night when I went to the toilet I came out feeling like I had smoked a full fag. Can smokers not go 2hours or so without 1? Those that done it in the toilets last night are a bunch of selfish twats. It still goes on in the east stand too.

The stewards that see it don't even throw the culprits out, they just tell them to stop. If nothing is done about it they should allow smokers to go out the back of the east at half time and at Tynie they should allow smokers to go to the bit between the turnstiles and the stand.

Im getting sick and tired of having to breath in peoples second hand smoke.

Anyway just a wee rant as its really starting to piss me off

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last night when I went to the toilet I came out feeling like I had smoked a full fag. Can smokers not go 2hours or so without 1? Those that done it in the toilets last night are a bunch of selfish twats. It still goes on in the east stand too.

The stewards that see it don't even throw the culprits out, they just tell them to stop. If nothing is done about it they should allow smokers to go out the back of the east at half time and at Tynie they should allow smokers to go to the bit between the turnstiles and the stand.

Well said sir - I agree with you 100%.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Second this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice Of Reason View Post
    Well said sir - I agree with you 100%.
    Totally agree, hearts did actually let our fans down to the section between the turnstiles and the steps. Can't see the problem doing it at Easter road.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Ignorant smokers are the **** of the earth.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

You have my sympathy but you should remember that smoking is an addiction. Football matches, especially derbies, can be very stressful and the first thing a smoker will do when stressed is reach for a fag.

I think clubs should do more to accommodate smokers (ie. designate smoking zones) so that everyone can enjoy the match.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    agreed......................

.....mind you the bigger health hazard last night was the sinks - plugged with paper towels and awash with urine. And the floors........awash with god knows what!

If someone actually went in for a sh*te it would be like a breath of fresh air!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    along with self-righteous non-smokers

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

it was pretty pointless smoking in the toilets as there was an area for smoking down the bottom of the stairs where i went at half time

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    along with self-righteous non-smokers
    As opposed to non ignorant smokers

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    As opposed to non ignorant smokers

as opposed to ignorant non self righteous non smokers.........oh wait, I'm lost now.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Never went to the toilets last night, but it infuriates me that it continues to happen in the FF lower cubicles.

My wee lads are too small to reach the urinals and so we have to wait till the cubicles are free so they can go. But every week a smoker decides to sit in one having a fag whilst my laddies struggle to hold it in, then when they get in they got to put up with a smoke filled cubicle.

The stewards are too scared to get involved.

Written to Hibs about this many times but nothing changes!

The club could consider a designated area for HT perhaps. I was in the East toilets at HT recently and some numpty laid a fag in a bin full of paper hand towels because the stewards had come into the bog to stop the smoking. Also, nothing worse than going into the cubicle after someone's being having a fly fag in there.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by moff1875 View Post
    The club could consider a designated area for HT perhaps. I was in the East toilets at HT recently and some numpty laid a fag in a bin full of paper hand towels because the stewards had come into the bog to stop the smoking. Also, nothing worse than going into the cubicle after someone's being having a fly fag in there.

Oh yes there is.

Trust me - there is.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moff1875 View Post
    I agree with the original poster's sentiments entirely and if it was left to me then smoking would be illegal in public and something only acceptable in your own home. However I see no reason why the doors of the East couldn't be opened at half time, especially given the main gates are locked during the game and thus nobody could try and sneak into the match.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I agree with the original poster's sentiments entirely and if it was left to me then smoking would be illegal in public and something only acceptable in your own home. However I see no reason why the doors of the East couldn't be opened at half time, especially given the main gates are locked during the game and thus nobody could try and sneak into the match.
    Eh? I never smoke in my house (or my car) out of consideration for my wife and kids. If I want a smoke I go outside - is that public?

Maybe cars should be banned too then? - exhaust fumes are far more noxious than cigarette smoke.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BauerPower911
    I can think of a lot worse that would qualify as "the **** of the earth."

its a pet hate of mine too.

Can fans not go two hours without peeing in the sinks. Disgusting and I wanted to wash my hands. Gave it a miss.

@hibs.net private member
    Go to the ladies. They are usually empty and always clean in the west at ER. Cant say the same about some other grounds though. Motherwells were disgusting although i didnt see any smoking.

@hibs.net private member
    Oh come on - cheer up - it covers up the smell of all the piss and sheight (not to mention the general stench of Gorgie) and as such should be considered a public service

First Team Breakthrough ZS DOOM's Avatar
    And if the smokers weren't in the toilets they would have been less busy so the odds of people pissing in the sinks would have been reduced. If smokers do need there fix during the game then they should buy electronic fags

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Go to the ladies. They are usually empty and always clean in the west at ER. Cant say the same about some other grounds though. Motherwells were disgusting although i didnt see any smoking.

Jill, you aren't seriously inviting those guys into the ladies' loos, are you?

You just KNOW they'll all leave the seats up when they're done, don't you?

Not to mention the ones that miss the target ....

If I've got this right - fans aren't allowed to smoke in the stands, in the open air, and will be challenged by the stewards if they do.

So they go into the toilets, an enclosed space, and smoke there, shutting themselves in the stalls and making a general nuisance and health-risk of themselves.

Because there's nowhere they can go legitimately to have a smoke at half-time.

Why doesn't the club have a designated smoking area for smokers to go to at half-time? In the open air, where the wind and rain can punish them for their depravity, maybe where non-smokers can watch them and point at them and make fun of them?

Seriously, why no designated smoking area somehwere at the back of each stand?

(In the South Stand I'd just install a sprinkler system; turn it on at KO and keep it on until the FT whistle sounds would suit me. At least it would giuve the Yams and Weegies a bath once in a while.)
    Last edited by --------; 05-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    And if the smokers weren't in the toilets they would have been less busy so the odds of people pissing in the sinks would have been reduced. If smokers do need there fix during the game then they should buy electronic fags
    Correct...absolutely nae need to smoke real fags anymore!

Happily spent the Derby cup game at ER getting a nicotine fix whenever required right there in my seat. Steward did come up after about 10 mins to inform that there was no smoking allowed..showed the E-cig, received an apology and that was that

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I know this is unlikely as it maybe seen to promote the wrong things but if folks gonna do it anyway Hibs should invite these e-cig folkies in to pitch their wares (and charge them for the priv)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    your statement ins tantamount to "make it illegal to smoke on earth". I am a smoker,not proud of it but cursed with it. I have smoked for nigh on 45 years, and do find it hard to go 2 hours without a fag if I get an urge..however, at a fitba match I contain it at half time/or throughout the match. I do think that a smoking area should be established outside the grounds and feel very annoyed that it cant be. I dont do wacky baccy, snort coke, inject H, but I do like a sterling king size and put another sweary word helleva dosh into the tax system to have the privelidge of hae'n a smoke!!!!!
    Last edited by MSK; 05-01-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Swear filter

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    Correct...absolutely nae need to smoke real fags anymore!

Happily spent the Derby cup game at ER getting a nicotine fix whenever required right there in my seat. Steward did come up after about 10 mins to inform that there was no smoking allowed..showed the E-cig, received an apology and that was that

Brace yourself - the tobacco companies don't like the e-cig, mainly because it seems it's an effective substitute for the "real thing" but thanks to the entire absence of tar etc carries no cancer risk at all, and are putting pressure on our lords and masters to ban it, or at least make it a lot more difficult to get hold of. It's already illegal in Norway, Denmark and Belgium, and a number of airlines have banned it from their aircraft.

You said it yourself - nae need to smoke real fags anymore. The tobacco barons don't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreenGiant View Post
    Never went to the toilets last night, but it infuriates me that it continues to happen in the FF lower cubicles.

My wee lads are too small to reach the urinals and so we have to wait till the cubicles are free so they can go. But every week a smoker decides to sit in one having a fag whilst my laddies struggle to hold it in, then when they get in they got to put up with a smoke filled cubicle.

The stewards are too scared to get involved.

Written to Hibs about this many times but nothing changes!
    I have contacted Hibs many times asking that supporters be allowed out at half time for a fag and been knocked back every time by the club. Considering that these days you either have to have a paper ticket or season ticket to get in I can see no reason that the club cant set up something to let fans in and out at half time. I note that the folk in the posh seats are allowed out at half time for a fag, talk about double standards.

Yes, most smokers can go for a fag for a couple of hours .... but the truth is that if you are spending the last half hour of a game needing a ciggy then it spoils the game for you. I have sneaked a fag at half time in the bogs in the FF and the East and hated doing it, but as someone said its an addiction.

Had my last fag at the end of October by the way

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Brace yourself - the tobacco companies don't like the e-cig, mainly because it seems it's an effective substitute for the "real thing" but thanks to the entire absence of tar etc carries no cancer risk at all, and are putting pressure on our lords and masters to ban it, or at least make it a lot more difficult to get hold of. It's already illegal in Norway, Denmark and Belgium, and a number of airlines have banned it from their aircraft.

You said it yourself - nae need to smoke real fags anymore. The tobacco barons don't like that.
    Yeah noticed it was banned in some euro countries...yet tobacco is legal in the self same states, bizarre!

Big tobacco have every right to be scared as the e-cigs I have are way better than normal fags. Interesting to note though that a big US e-cig company was recently purchased by a large tobacco firm and that for the first time in 2 decades or so they launched a TV advertising campaign for 'smoking'.

The thing is though that e-cigs are not smoking and are a millions miles away from burning dried leaves and the thousands of nasty things that contains. sure there needs to be more lab tests to ultimately prove it's safety but vaporising a liquid already deemed safe for foodstuffs which contains nicotine (which in itself is not harmful) surely should be supported as a key step in reducing tobacco related deaths. OK Does not break the dependency on nicotine but if that nicotine can be delivered safely then is it not more similar to people drinking coffee for the caffeine hit than people smoking traditional fags?

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I have contacted Hibs many times asking that supporters be allowed out at half time for a fag and been knocked back every time by the club. Considering that these days you either have to have a paper ticket or season ticket to get in I can see no reason that the club cant set up something to let fans in and out at half time. I note that the folk in the posh seats are allowed out at half time for a fag, talk about double standards.

Yes, most smokers can go for a fag for a couple of hours .... but the truth is that if you are spending the last half hour of a game needing a ciggy then it spoils the game for you. I have sneaked a fag at half time in the bogs in the FF and the East and hated doing it, but as someone said its an addiction.

Had my last fag at the end of October by the way

I get where you are coming from regarding addiction etc, but is it fair that my 3 year old and 6 year old boys are forced to inhale cigarette smoke just because they want to go for a pee? The thing is, I kind of expect this type of thing to happen in the East or when going to away games, but I would have thought there would have been better stewarding in 'supposed' family areas.

And in respect to spoiling the game, I have missed the start of the second half because the only 2 cubicles in the toilets are being used by men who take at least 5 mins to smoke a fag, whilst a queue forms with people who have young kids, anyone who needs a s*it or any other smokers.

No excuse in my opinion, but Hibs need to be doing more to stop this - supposed to be encouraging families etc