hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Cairney Substituion

I am normally one of Fenlons biggest supporters, however I found this substitution baffling.

He's our main creative threat and had just played the best pass of the match to put Doyle through, made no sense at all IMO.

I was happy to see Spoony coming on, but it should have been for one of the three central midfielders.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    He was rubbish tonight and Wotherspoon was an improvement.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was rubbish tonight and Wotherspoon was an improvement.

He had one good pass when he was on and it just so happened to be in the minute before he was subbed.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MC_Humo
    What baffles me is Fenlon's consistent playing of Doyle against celtic he had 2 great chances he misses them both and again against hearts i would much rather kept cairney on and taken of doyle or put sproule on for doyle later on in the game

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    That pass was all he did though. He's looked a different player in the past few weeks, reluctant to go passed a man and always playing back the way. Hope the break does him good and he comes back fresh on the 19th.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Taking Cairney off is inexcusable!! He is the only one that goes forward. Why keep Claros, Deegan and Taiwo on? Fenlon just needed to change tactics to accommodate Cairney and Griffiths but he again showed his tactical ineptitude.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStanton View Post
    What baffles me is Fenlon's consistent playing of Doyle against celtic he had 2 great chances he misses them both and again against hearts i would much rather kept cairney on and taken of doyle or put sproule on for doyle later on in the game
    Aye. Who'd keep playing one of top scorers in the SPL?

Gamer IDs

I still feel against their defence going to a 442 would have made more sense, with Spoony, Cairney, Doyle and Griffiths all on the pitch.

Left by mutual consent!
    His ONLY positive contribution all game was the pass to Doyle early in the 2nd half, other than that he done nowt..

Quite right to hooked at that time

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Aye. Who'd keep playing one of top scorers in the SPL?
    I know, some hibs fans seem desperate to create scapegoats. Doyle has consistently been one of our better performers this season.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M17 View Post
    That pass was all he did though. He's looked a different player in the past few weeks, reluctant to go passed a man and always playing back the way. Hope the break does him good and he comes back fresh on the 19th.

He's looked knackered the past few games

Quote Originally Posted by fergy View Post
    I am normally one of Fenlons biggest supporters, however I found this substitution baffling.

He's our main creative threat and had just played the best pass of the match to put Doyle through, made no sense at all IMO.

I was happy to see Spoony coming on, but it should have been for one of the three central midfielders.
    4-5-1 didn't work at all. Our three central midfielders were ineffective to say the least. Taking Cairney off beggars belief! A good point but a dreadful performance. Thank god we have a good back four and goalkeeper.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Hibee View Post
    Taking Cairney off is inexcusable!! He is the only one that goes forward. Why keep Claros, Deegan and Taiwo on? Fenlon just needed to change tactics to accommodate Cairney and Griffiths but he again showed his tactical ineptitude.
    I thought he looked tired, the pitch was heavy and that would make it hard for Cairney. Normally he is one of our more positive threats but I think he made the right move as Wotherspoon had a positive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by fergy View Post

Was surprised to see Cairney go off - Taiwo would have been my choice...

First Team Breakthrough Devilstorment's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Devilstorment PSN ID: Devilstorment
    should have been deegan or taiwo to come off in my opinion. but I think both of those are defensive midfielders and the idea must have been to have been attacking mind for attacking mind.

Fenlon took the simple view that a substitiution was required and he looked to hook the poorest player on the park at the time. Good call from him IMHO.

Likewise later on with Stevenson.

Wotherspoon wasn't much of an improvement. Cairney was honking until that pass though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Cairney did nowt tonight, it was right to take him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilstorment View Post
    should have been deegan or taiwo to come off in my opinion. but I think both of those are defensive midfielders and the idea must have been to have been attacking mind for attacking mind.
    Deegan?

You serious!!!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Deegan?

You serious!!!!
    Deegan was decent, I thought so anyway.

First Team Breakthrough Devilstorment's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Devilstorment PSN ID: Devilstorment
    Deegan?

You serious!!!!

Maybe i was blinded by the quality football on display but i never really saw much out of him today.

Fenlon took the simple view that a substitiution was required and he looked to hook the poorest player on the park at the time. Good call from him IMHO.

Likewise later on with Stevenson.
    Yes my thoughts too

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    4-5-1 didn't work at all. Our three central midfielders were ineffective to say the least. Taking Cairney off beggars belief! A good point but a dreadful performance. Thank god we have a good back four and goalkeeper.
    Agree I thought we were completely overrun in midfield when Cairney went off. Once Stevenson came on for Taiwo we improved again.

FWIW I think we were set up to play defensively and hit on the break as Hearts can't score to save themselves. Not pretty but it nearly worked.

Hibs entire midfield was very poor, including Cairney. However at least he's shown he is capable of creating, as he did with the pass of the match.

I'd have preferred us to move him central but Fenlon was obviously set on being defensive and sitting in for a 0-0.

Claros has been average at best in 4 or 5 derbies now and personally I won't miss him. Better putting our budget towards Liam Craig IMO, more likely to impact this type of game.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Was Taiwo on the pitch in the second half? I think the point is that the entire midfield were all much the same so did it really matter who was substituted.?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling.

Cairney wasn't having one of his better games and, even on a good day, he's not the fastest.

Spoony was far more likely to do something on the break (because if we were going to score it was going to come from that) and, as he has shown a few times this season, he can produce the odd goal from nothing.

Exactly the right substitution IMHO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Hibs entire midfield was very poor, including Cairney. However at least he's shown he is capable of creating, as he did with the pass of the match.

I'd have preferred us to move him central but Fenlon was obviously set on being defensive and sitting in for a 0-0.

Claros has been average at best in 4 or 5 derbies now and personally I won't miss him. Better putting our budget towards Liam Craig IMO, more likely to impact this type of game.
    100%. We need to find a way of getting him central so he can pick passes - strange sub i thought.

Stevenson made a difference when he came on for Taiwo.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling.

Cairney wasn't having one of his better games and, even on a good day, he's not the fastest.

Spoony was far more likely to do something on the break (because if we were going to score it was going to come from that) and, as he has shown a few times this season, he can produce the odd goal from nothing.

Exactly the right substitution IMHO.
    I see what you're saying but he's the type of player that can do something from nothing. If Wotherspoon was to come on for i'd have liked Cairney to go central and Taiwo/Claros to have come off.

@hibs.net private member
    Cairney was poor tonight but so was the rest of the midfield. But then they had no chance with defence just lumping the ball forward all the time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Taiwo was the worst of the lot, don't see what he does at all...

We desperately need someone with creativity in CM, too many samey samey players..