hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive got a picture of the stand [ it is where the east is now ] got the picture off Pat Stanton's mother in the late 80s when i was putting new seals on her doors .
    Ill have a look for it later and see if i can put it up .
    Lovely lady she was .

ggtth
    Did you ever find the picture?
    This is a great wee thread.Now if you look on google earth, incredibly half the northfield ground is still there.One half has been built over and it looks like the other half is almost as it would have been when built.except for the small matter that it seems to have been taken over by the cemetery and people have been buried on the east side of the pitch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It's interesting to read these threads about Hibernian history where members try to obtain facts and evidence to describe our past. Quite different from the maroon mob across the city who quickly concoct a Rabelaisian tale based on hyperbole, wishful conjecture and world beating ignorance.

Just a bit of history on the Northfield site......

In the early 1900s, Hibs were having some success, Scottish Cup in 1902 and the League in 1903. This lead to a desire at Hibs to either increase the capacity of ER or move elsewhere. Because of the ER slope, the decision was taken to move and some land at Northfield leased.

Hibs put a considerable sum of money into developing a new stadium (seen in the photos in previous posts) but were undermined by the North British Railway Company, who decided they needed the land for a Railway 'Spur'. The council took the Railway's side in the matter and Hibs never played in the Stadium they had spent so much money on (incidentally, the capacity was estimated at 50k but overestimation was typical in those days and it was probably in the region of 30-35k).

Hibs suffered incredibly from the wasted outlay and took years to recover. The NB Railway company never actually built the 'spur', so Hibs lost the Stadium for nothing. The site was eventually used for amateur games and (I think) rugby matches. Part of the land is now the Cemetery.

[The above is my recollection from a book called The Easter Road Story, which I have now sadly lost ]

Promising Youngster Shore Thing's Avatar
    Fascinating stuff!

Here are some links to check out (hope they work!). National Library of Scotland has this site where you can view historical maps, overlaid on up to date maps. You can fade between the old and new maps with the slider on the left (where it says "Change transparency of overlay").

1891 - Showing the Recreation Ground at Bothwell Street:
    http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom...689&layers=136

1902 - Hibs based at Easter Road as we know it (note the shooting ranges - for practising long-range 'squigglers'?):
    http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom...669&layers=140

1910 - You can see 'Hibernian Football Park' at Albion Place, and also 'New Hibernians Football Park' beside Piershill Cemetery:
    http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom...532&layers=143
    Last edited by Shore Thing; 10-06-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    It's interesting to read these threads about Hibernian history where members try to obtain facts and evidence to describe our past. Quite different from the maroon mob across the city who quickly concoct a Rabelaisian tale based on hyperbole, wishful conjecture and world beating ignorance.
    That's easy for you to say, if you showed any kind of balance you would recognise that Hearts fans do so because they are all twats.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan-allez-au View Post
    1910 - You can see 'Hibernian Football Park' at Albion Place, and also 'New Hibernians Football Park' beside Piershill Cemetery:
    Thanks for that. Was about to go looking for this one.

Fascinating stuff!

Here are some links to check out (hope they work!). National Library of Scotland has this site where you can view historical maps, overlaid on up to date maps. You can fade between the old and new maps with the slider on the left (where it says "Change transparency of overlay").

1902 - Hibs based at Easter Road as we know it (note the shooting ranges - for practising long-range 'squigglers'?):

Brilliant stuff ..thanks for that .....

Fascinating stuff!

Thanks thats brilliant.The northfield ground is exactly where i was looking earlier.It'd be great if the newspaper clip on the first page was readable.Looks like alot of good info in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Thanks thats brilliant.The northfield ground is exactly where i was looking earlier.It'd be great if the newspaper clip on the first page was readable.Looks like alot of good info in that.
    Can't you just click on it to view it?

I did in my phone, it's a story about a foot race held at the ground on a Sunday and how Hibs were denying any involvement, seems to have caused outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    Can't you just click on it to view it?

I did in my phone, it's a story about a foot race held at the ground on a Sunday and how Hibs were denying any involvement, seems to have caused outrage.
    No it's too blurry on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    No it's too blurry on mine.
    THE SUNDAY RACING IN EDINBURGH - HIBERNIAN CLUB'S POSITION - In connection with the foot racing which was held at Northfield on Sunday, it has been ascertained that the directors of Hibernian Football Club, who hold the ground on a lease from the Duke of Abercorn, disclaim all connection with what took place. They knew absolutely nothing about the Sunday racing until it was over, and the chairman stated whether it occurred through persons having forced their way onto the park, or whether it was under the auspices of a sub-tenant, it would be stopped immediately. He further added that they instructed their agents, Messers Elder & Aikman, W.S., to write to their tenant for information on the subject, and if he were responsible for what happened, to intimate to him that no such thing would be tolerated in the future, in terms of the lease, which has a clause to the effect that on no condition was he, the tenant, to have the use of the ground for any purpose on a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    THE SUNDAY RACING IN EDINBURGH - HIBERNIAN CLUB'S POSITION - In connection with the foot racing which was held at Northfield on Sunday, it has been ascertained that the directors of Hibernian Football Club, who hold the ground on a lease from the Duke of Abercorn, disclaim all connection with what took place. They knew absolutely nothing about the Sunday racing until it was over, and the chairman stated whether it occurred through persons having forced their way onto the park, or whether it was under the auspices of a sub-tenant, it would be stopped immediately. He further added that they instructed their agents, Messers Elder & Aikman, W.S., to write to their tenant for information on the subject, and if he were responsible for what happened, to intimate to him that no such thing would be tolerated in the future, in terms of the lease, which has a clause to the effect that on no condition was he, the tenant, to have the use of the ground for any purpose on a Sunday.
    Thanks but thats not the clip i meant.it's the one above titled "Hibernian football clubs new ground"

First Team Breakthrough Conrad Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    It was behind the cemetary

Hibernian's Northfield ground

Attachment 9187
    Brian, (or anyone else that can confirm), I was told many years ago that the undertakers building on the opposite corner from Scotties Bar on Portobello Road was part of the original club rooms. There is what appears to be a football carved into the stonework above the undertakers door. Has anybody else heard this? Or can confirm either way?

Did we not also play on a field down by Cameron Toll for a while???

At the end of Crawford RD/ East Suffolk Road??

Im sure I read that somewhere, but im not sure where???

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That's easy for you to say, if you showed any kind of balance you would recognise that Hearts fans do so because they are all twats.
    It seems appropriate in a post about members to oppose them with twats.