hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88

Being the only away fan...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

Must've been a bit surreal, especially since they are both reasonably big clubs! Hats off to the guy

2. Log in to remove the advert

They are a decent sized club. How on earth did only 1 fan turn up? Can't even begin to imagine how wierd that was for him.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Thats certainly surreal!

To think.... that could be Hearts in a year or 2.

Fair play to the Sampdoria supporters and staff.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    must be a bit like supporting St Johnstone
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Apparently Udinese only take 50/60 away fans on a regular basis. Taking fans to away games in large numbers, except massive rivalries or inter-city derbies is an almost uniquely UK thing. This is probably a mentality thing as well as, I guess, because most league games in the UK don't involve the sort of lengthy journeys that - for example - a Lille fan travelling to Marseille would encounter.

And to think there was a thread on here recently questioning how many supporters we take to Inverness!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I remember when my mate and I were the only (scarf wearing) Hibs supporters at a game. Far from being welcomed by the home fans we had to make a sharp exit 15 minutes before the end of the match.

It was, however, a Hearts v Meadowbank East of Scotland Shield match at Tynie.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently Udinese only take 50/60 away fans on a regular basis. Taking fans to away games in large numbers, except massive rivalries or inter-city derbies is an almost uniquely UK thing. This is probably a mentality thing as well as, I guess, because most league games in the UK don't involve the sort of lengthy journeys that - for example - a Lille fan travelling to Marseille would encounter.
    My cousin in milan claims he's seen every team in serie A and most of the big teams of europe but has never been to an away game unless they are playing inter. Most Italians I know over here say much the same. European games are different though.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmartinrocks View Post
    My cousin in milan claims he's seen every team in serie A and most of the big teams of europe but has never been to an away game unless they are playing inter. Most Italians I know over here say much the same. European games are different though.
    I know here in France, the distances are prohibitive, plus the fact that most matches kick off at 9.00pm on saturday nights.

For example, the closest clubs to Rennes (my closest L1 club) are

Lorient (closest) - 100 miles - 2 hour drive in good traffic, without stopping
    Brest - 150 miles - 2.5-3 hrs
    PSG - 220 miles - 4 hrs + stops
    Bordeaux - 290 miles - 4.5-5 hrs + stops

People do travel, though the culture is nothing like in Scotland.

I was at this game, in the Gradinata Nord which is behind the goal at the far end from the away fan(s). Couldn't make out the away end properly as my view was obscured by a TV gantry (reminded me of a bygone place...) I was impressed with Udinese who played with 3 CHs and 2 dynamic WBs. Di Natale is a really clever player who took his goal well. Sampdoria could not find the creativity to break them down and only got in behind them once and the keeper made a good save. The ref played a blinder, not taking any nonsense from diving Nancy boys. Must have told them to get up off the floor at least two dozen times.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I know here in France, the distances are prohibitive, plus the fact that most matches kick off at 9.00pm on saturday nights.

Brest sounds like a decent away day!

Pah European pansies.

Newcastle took thousands to Plymouth in the Championship. A cool 800 mile round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Just out of wondering I had a look at the distance and its just over the distance between Aberdeen - Portsmouth or to put it another way 1 Hour & 20 Mins on one of their trains

€16 for a ticket was very pleasantly surprising.
    However, Italy being Italy, we could not buy tickets at the ticket office by the ground, only from the club shop in the center of Genoa. So, despite being outside the ground 45 minutes before kick off, we missed the first 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitlochry hibee View Post
    must be a bit like supporting St Johnstone
    or travelling to Elgin with Stranraer.

First Team Breakthrough

Do the Rennes supporters still talk about the good ol' days when Gary Smith and Allan Johnston played for them??

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Brest

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Credit where it's due. That is pretty impressive.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    2-0 win and the boys yawning!! some fan him

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Smallest Hibs travelling support I have seen was a testimonial at ICT during "the Great Adventure". A freezing Monday night in January with around a dozen Hibs fans maiking the journey. Cracking night out in Jonny Foxes with the team after the game. That was the first in a long line of trips to Inverness without a win!

Watched Udinese v Liverpool and it was an awful home support, and 50 or 60 away is pretty abysmal!

But fair play to the guy, must've been pretty strange.

I was the only Hibs fan at Ibrox shortly before kick off for the league cup semi second leg in 1985 - there were road works on the M8 that held up the rest of the travelling support. It was quite funny having 30+ thousand huns chanting "Spot, spot the loony" and pointing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanksSaidNo View Post
    Brest sounds like a decent away day!
    I've heard it's a bit nippy.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Brest
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Within Scotland, Gretna, in the season before Brooks Mileson took over, brought 3 supporters to a game at Stirling Albion. They were the secretary of the Gretna supporters' club, the president of the Gretna supporters' club, and the driver of the Gretna supporters' club bus.

Fair play to these guys. They're probably the people who brought the club into the SFL and have now rebuilt the new club that's in the East of Scotland League. They'll still be supporting their town's team now that all the gloryhunters have disappeared.

As others have said already, it tends to be a British thing to travel in large numbers to away matches, however you would still expect more than one away fan to go to a game in one of the biggest leagues in Europe.

In terms of distance, travelling from Udine to Genoa is comparable with us going to Birmingham. Now obviously if we were playing Aston Villa then, because they're an English Premiership team and we are in different leagues, we would probably take a large number down to that game due to the fact that it would need to be either a glamour friendly or a big European match, but if we happened to be playing them in a normal league game, I'm not too sure how many fans we would take down there on a Monday night a couple of weeks before Christmas!

Probably more than one, right enough!

I'd love to see their messageboard when he started a thread saying he was an uber fan and the rest of them were just ***** supporters!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkHibee View Post
    I was the only Hibs fan at Ibrox shortly before kick off for the league cup semi second leg in 1985 - there were road works on the M8 that held up the rest of the travelling support. It was quite funny having 30+ thousand huns chanting "Spot, spot the loony" and pointing at me.
    That was my first visit to Ibrox. I remember arriving about ten minutes after kick off and the Hibs end only had a few hundred fans. I couldn't believe how bad the support was. By half time the stand was full with 7000 Hibbies singing their hearts out.

Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, 1981. I wasn't the only Hibs fan there but I was the only one in the lower tier wearing a Hibs a scarf. It was the first time I had been to the 'new' Ibrox, (one side was still a building site) and so when I asked the police which turnstile I should enter I didn't question it. When i realised I was in with the home support I approached a steward and asked for a move to the Upper tier where a healthy contingent of Hibs fans were gathered. I was told that I would have to leave the ground and pay to get back in. So being a tight git I thought, stuff it, I'll stay here. The hospitality was pretty good to be fair. The locals were only too willing to share their pies and bovril with me, especially when Jackie Mac scored what was a consolation goal and I couldn't stop myself from jumping up and cheering. I'd be lucky to leave there alive these days.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, 1981. I wasn't the only Hibs fan there but I was the only one in the lower tier wearing a Hibs a scarf. It was the first time I had been to the 'new' Ibrox, (one side was still a building site) and so when I asked the police which turnstile I should enter I didn't question it. When i realised I was in with the home support I approached a steward and asked for a move to the Upper tier where a healthy contingent of Hibs fans were gathered. I was told that I would have to leave the ground and pay to get back in. So being a tight git I thought, stuff it, I'll stay here. The hospitality was pretty good to be fair. The locals were only too willing to share their pies and bovril with me, especially when Jackie Mac scored what was a consolation goal and I couldn't stop myself from jumping up and cheering. I'd be lucky to leave there alive these days.
    I was once the only Hibs fan in the old Tannadice Terracing, there were Hibs fans in the stand though. We got stuffed by five if I remember correctly (maybe 5-0 going on 10).