hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 Dec 1972.

9 Dec 1972.

40 years ago today...The day that The Turnbull Tornadoes won the League Cup.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Theres not a hibby of a certain vintage that cant reel off the team and this was arguably their finest moment...I salute the greatest Hibs team of my life.

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Theres not a hibby of a certain vintage that cant reel off the team and this was arguably their finest moment...I salute the greatest Hibs team of my life.

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan.
    Agree 100%

Could have written the above myself
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

What a team

Yes I remember it well. Headed back from Hampden got to Princes Street just in time to see Jimmy O' Rourke standing on the balcony of the North British Hotel with cup in hand. What a memory, what a day and what a weekend! Here's to them possibly the best Hibs team I've ever seen.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Missed it. Was on a bulk carrier down the West African Coast.

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool 9 dec 1972

Yes that is the best hibs team that i have EVER seen

heriott
    brownlie
    shaedler
    blackley
    black
    stanton
    edwards
    orourke
    gordon
    cropley
    duncan

just a brilliant team
    abd a superb manager

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    What a time to be a hibby, 2 of the best results in our history within 3 weeks of each other. Bit before my time but I bet those that were there have some special memories of that time and that team. Really shows how much of a legend Ned turnbull is for us, 3 league championships playing in the best ever hibs team and won the clubs first cup final in 70 years while managing the next best team we've had.
    Last edited by Mr White; 09-12-2012 at 06:51 AM.

We will never have a team as good as that again. Nor a player of the calibre of Pat Stanton. Magical times. Glory Glory!

Coaching Staff
    When I saw the original poster's name I had to do a double take and pinch myself to make sure it wasn''t me.

However this is one game I can't claim to have been at as I was playing that day in an important East of Scotland Cup tie at St Mark's Park.

I scored a hat trick and actually got news of the result from a Celtic supporter at the top of Easetr Road as I made my way home.

I remember throwing my fitba boots about 20 feet in the air.

Fabulous time to be a HIbs supporter, and it is probably not understood by the current generation just how good we were then..

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

... an amazing day for all of us who were there indeed, but as we also all know just looking at that line up: we should have achieved so much more

@hibs.net private member
    Best football I have ever seen! Came back from Africa for my Brothers wedding and witnessed this amazing Hibs team at their very best.

Missed them beating Falkirk at Easter Road - although we were kept up to date in the church.

Following week they beat Celtic in the LCF

Week after I was at Easter Road to see them beat Ayr Untied 8-1 - The Ayr goalkeeper who was David Stewart ( later of Leeds and Scotland) was in the newspapers team of the day.

Following week I went with my brother to Darkheid to witness a 1-1 draw

Next it was a great game against Aberdeen 3-2 at Easter Road - Alan Gordon's flying header will always live in my memory

And then finally 2 days before I return to Africa - 0-7 against the Yams - I was at the school end with my Mates Dad who was a Yam, and predicted after 10 minutes that Hibs were going to have a record win.

Thanks for the special memories, of a very special team, with every one a Scot!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post

heriott
    brownlie
    shaedler
    blackley
    black
    stanton
    edwards
    orourke
    gordon
    cropley
    duncan

just a brilliant team
    abd a superb manager

I concur. Flair and entertainment, goals galore and a never say die attitude. The class of 72 were by far and away the best Hibs team I've ever seen and ever likely to see.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Yep, I was there too, down in the main stand's enclosure. What I remember most was the incredible feeling when the whole of Hampden was shouting "Hibernian....Hibernian....Hibernian" between the first and second goals. It felt like we were floating on clouds. Though it could have had something to do with the

Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post

heriott
    brownlie
    shaedler
    blackley
    black
    stanton
    edwards
    orourke
    gordon
    cropley
    duncan

just a brilliant team
    abd a superb manager

Halcyon days my friend never to see their likes again ,pure football .

During my time attending Easter Road there's been periods since the 70's where I've witnessed good entertaining Hibs sides but none that have matched the collective Greatness of the Tornadoes, it's truely a privelage to have been able to see them play.

40 years may have passed since the cup final, 0-7 and some fabulous european nights but these matches and the Tornadoes will live in the forefront of my memory for ever - Happy Anniversary lads.

Erich Shaedler, Alan Gordon & Eddie Turnbull RIP, sadly missed but never forgotten.

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Yeah, now you are talking. Remember every kick of the ball that day (almost) What is so clear in my mind is coming up the steps from the train station on our return to see the team heading into the North British Hotel......

The ticket stub from the old north stand and the pull-out poster from the EEN is still very much a part of my life

Promising Youngster

Happy days

What a day!! , it was my 11th birthday. Could not have asked for a better present

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    You got a decent Christmas present too, albeit a week late!

This was the Hibs team when I first started to watch Hibs and did not realise at the time how lucky I was, they would stroll this current SPL.

The only downside to that great team was that the League Cup win was their only success (barring the Dryburgh Cup), they came close in the league and never did anything in the SC of note (another disastrous final), although there was a very good Celtic team around at the time.

@hibs.net private member
    Was gutted to miss the final because I had to represent the school in the "Evening News Penalty Prize Competition" at Tynecastle that day. They were playing Kilmarnock on a very miserable wintery afternoon and I got pelted with coins because I was wearing my Hibs strip. Had to endure 45 minutes of a terrible game in sleat and snow and was most unimpressed with the changing rooms and facilities under the stand. I guess they are still the same today.

Anyway, we got changed after half time and left to go home but priority was to find out the score from Hampden. In those days the best way was to find a TV shop and look in the window. For me it was Patrick Thomsons on North Bridge and I watched as the scores came in. I was able to get home, dump my gear and be back in town in time for the team bus arriving at the North British.

I always felt a bit cheated that I could no go to the final but I certainly was there at the Ayr Utd game the following weekend and was right at the tunnel at Tynecastle to enjoy the 0-7 on my 14th birthday.

Great days with a great team and fantastic football. The European nights were especially good and at a time when the game was not completely and corruptly biased towards two teams from Glasgow. Although there was certainly a bit of that which I am convinced accounted for the incredibly long bans meated out to Pat Stanton and Alex Edwards, having already lost John Brownlie to injury, at a crutial period of the season.

We will never see their like again in one team.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 09-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Great day. Thought it would be like this all the time.

John Brownlie hurt his ankle in training and Eddie Turnbull kept it quiet. He needed a pain killing injection and Jock Stein found out and moved Jinky Johnstone to the left wing. Jinky never got a kick of the ball and was subbed in the second half.
    Best Hibs team I ever saw. That year they had already beaten Sporting Lisbon who were a top team 6-1
    It all went wrong against East Fife on week after 7-0 game. There was nearly 18,000 at ER and apart from John Brownlie breaking a leg, Alex Edwards was continually fouled. Eventually he threw the ball away in frustration and was booked. He got 56 day suspension and we never recovered.

What a way to record my first post!

"40 years ago today...The day that The Turnbull Tornadoes won the League Cup.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Herriot Brownlie Schaedler Stanton Black Blackley Edwards O'Rourke Gordon Cropley Duncan."

Just makes me smile at the memory

5 minutes to kick off.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ferrigan View Post
    Yes I remember it well. Headed back from Hampden got to Princes Street just in time to see Jimmy O' Rourke standing on the balcony of the North British Hotel with cup in hand. What a memory, what a day and what a weekend! Here's to them possibly the best Hibs team I've ever seen.
    Sums it up for me too. I'll never forget wee Jimmy clambering on to the parapet of the NB balcony and holding the cup aloft. Even today when I pass the Balmoral my mind travels back to that night and the scenes of celebration at the east end.
    One positive of us not regularly winning trophies I suppose, is that when we do manage it, it probably means more to us.

Celtic -1 Hibs -2

Agree 100%. I feel priveliged to have watched this team. Best hibs team i will ever see

Blog Entries
    That last 10 mins or so after Dalglish scored lasted about an hour. It sounds incredible but we've been comparatively spoiled since then with 2 more LC wins. That was our 1st win in a national final for 70 years. What a day, what a night!

The Cetic fans wern't to happy

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Was at the game with my Celtic supporting uncle and cousin. great day and on the journey back I was the only one who seemed to want to talk!

First Team Breakthrough tbfhibs's Avatar
    I was at the Reeds Christmas party for kids opposite the Maybury when we won. Remember seeing the open top bus ready for the players and that's pretty much that.
    I would've been six at the time. Those parties where brilliant, loads of sweets, cake and a brilliant pressie at the end.