hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You meet someone from Edinburgh (who's parents are from Edinburgh) and they tell you they support the old firm, can you take them seriously?

I'm have no ties to Edinburgh (I'm as old as the Livingston town I live in) but decided a long time ago to support the only big non-sectarian football club within 50 miles.

Strangely, if an Edinburgh punter tells me he follows the old firm, I simply palm him off as a glory hunter and decide to quickly change the subject.
    Not only do I not take them seriously, I despise them! They are either bigots or glory hunters.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    I stay on the west side of Edinburgh, so I suppose geographically I should be a yam? However, my dad and one of my uncles are Hibs fans (the other uncle is a Partick man, god knows why ) and got taken to my first Hibs game a good few years back by my uncle (Badabing who posts on here, blame him ), remember we were playing Motherwell and we were a bit late to the game, but literally as soon as I walked out the tunnel and into the stand Hibs scored, knew it was love from then on!

My father supports the Gers,has done all his life,he has no interest in the religious venom that follows them & currently thinks they're a laughing stock,but thats his team & he aint gonna change them now,though he was delighted when we won on Sunday & is always happy to see Hibs do well for no other reason than I support them.

from the borders and always been a hibs fan through family and hibs being closest professional team. cant stand the legions of OF fans down here esp rangers fans who love to tell you how great a club they are and how much rangers mean to them as they have supported them man and boy where most of them have never been to glasgow let alone a match. yet they have all the merchandise and force their kids to be the same

First Team Breakthrough
    Doesn't really bother me when folk support other teams, just makes me happy when they're hibees.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Born and brought up in Musselburgh, started supporting Hibs Cos my mate was one and being older, used to take to games. I suppose if he had been a yam I might have been as well. Thank **** for Pete Gray.

None of my family were interested in football, I was basically the first. Never got the religious keech, all my mates are school were non catholic, some Hibs, some Hearts and a few Rangers fans, but no Celtic.

Through the local Hibs Supporters club I met my best mate who just happened to be a Catholic, and to date is the only one of my circle of Hibbies who is a catholic as far as I know. To be honest I really don't give a **** one way or the other. There is good and bad everywhere.

To me it has always been about my local team, and never about religion or anything else.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

First Team Breakthrough Kenny1875's Avatar
    My dad was like this. He's from Edinburgh and so were his parents but supported Rangers because his uncle took him to the matches regularly. I've converted him to a Hibs fan though!

First Team Breakthrough
    According to Alan Lugton's books, Hibs used to have quite a big support in Glasgow and the west, even after Celtic came on the scene. Used meet a guy at away matches who came from a Hibs family in Alexandria and rarely went to home games. I suppose my roots are Old Town Irish Hibs. But that's no more valid than Leith Hibs, or Niddrie Hibs, or indeed Gorgie Hibs. Know Hibs fans who came from Rangers, Aberdeen and even Hearts families, or families with no affiliation. Known Catholic, Protestant, Sikh and athiest fans. Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories and others who were Communists. It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Know afew guys who claimed to be Celtic fans when we were at school but are now apparently Hibbies. Only one who went the other way but he was always a tit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    .....Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories ....... It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!

Sorry, but in that particular instance the expression you're looking for is a Tosspot

First Team Breakthrough
    Ha ha. Aye maybe do!

For all their considerable foibles, I prefer a Yam to an OF glory hunter. At least you can take them seriously as proper football supporters. Like the OP I just can't be arsed talking to professional celebrators and confused bigots about football. It's like trying to have a discussion on art or politics with an idiot.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    For all their considerable foibles, I prefer a Yam to an OF glory hunter. At least you can take them seriously as proper football supporters. Like the OP I just can't be arsed talking to professional celebrators and confused bigots about football. It's like trying to have a discussion on art or politics with an idiot.
    Can I just say that everyone I know and care about supports Hibernian from Edinburgh. The Midlothian team that does not have and never did have Edinburgh in it's name is in its death throws, and anyone who lives in the city but prefers to support an OF team are welcome to them.

For me the difference between the modern day Yam and Hun generally is how "Big" their they think they are - these days its measured by debt and brass neck.............

GGTTH

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    According to Alan Lugton's books, Hibs used to have quite a big support in Glasgow and the west, even after Celtic came on the scene. Used meet a guy at away matches who came from a Hibs family in Alexandria and rarely went to home games. I suppose my roots are Old Town Irish Hibs. But that's no more valid than Leith Hibs, or Niddrie Hibs, or indeed Gorgie Hibs. Know Hibs fans who came from Rangers, Aberdeen and even Hearts families, or families with no affiliation. Known Catholic, Protestant, Sikh and athiest fans. Known Hibs fans who were right wing Tories and others who were Communists. It's a melting pot, as Blue Mink put it!
    The Making of Hibernian is a great book - hard to get a hold of as well I believe.

For the vast majority of folk who support the 'successful' clubs its all about the cups and titles ... end of story.

I will believe that isnt true when bus loads of folk leave Kilmarnock, Ayr, Dundee or Edinburgh heading for Dunfermline or Partick or Motherwell on a Saturday.

Aye ..... Ye can support who you like .... but at least be honest about why. If it was coz yer dad supported celtic / rangers then he was a glory hunter before you and its up to you to redress the balance and make things right.