hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybury

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Part of a makeshift back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, of which we have won two, and part of a team that has just pulled off one our most satisfying victories ever over Hearts, leading to them having the shortest ever reign as Scottish Cup holders, and us exacting some measure of revenge for May - so what's the problem?

I find the appetite on here from many to deride him very, very strange and very, very disappointing - he has made a very important contribution to our success this season, yesterday included. Didn't play Novikovas very well but did fine against Drvier, and tucked in well to make some important interceptions towards the end which meant we saw the game out without any major scares at all.

Compared to some of the imposters who have played RB for us in the last four years he is a huge improvement, and his versatility has been important. Said earlier this week that he has been very unlucky in that pretty much all of his mistakes have led to goals, whilst others have gotten away with them (sometimes thanks to Maybury himself).

Signed as cover and been well used as such - delighted we have him. I wish people would get off his back and just enjoy where we are right now.
    strange, disappointing, but not surprising from some ... Maybury used to be one of them, and so can't be trusted it seems.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Just as a tactical point re Maybury playing narrow, I suspect this is another effect of having to play a left-footed player (Hanlon) at right centre back. Hibs will be wary of opposing forwards running in between Hanlon and Maybury (on Hanlon's weaker side) and so Maybury has to play closer to Hanlon to compensate. If the opposing left midfielder / winger has tons of space it doesn't matter too much unless he mis-hits a cross into the net (as Novikovas almost did) or they flood the box with midfield runners (which they never did).

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Just as a tactical point re Maybury playing narrow, I suspect this is another effect of having to play a left-footed player (Hanlon) at right centre back. Hibs will be wary of opposing forwards running in between Hanlon and Maybury (on Hanlon's weaker side) and so Maybury has to play closer to Hanlon to compensate. If the opposing left midfielder / winger has tons of space it doesn't matter too much unless he mis-hits a cross into the net (as Novikovas almost did) or they flood the box with midfield runners (which they never did).
    ^THIS^

We are playing a lot of guys out of position at the moment due to injuries, and after watching the highlights later you can see why Maybury was told to support the CHs. Lets praise all those guys that continue to play out of position and continue to put in maximum effort.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Bring back Michael Hart.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Alan Maybury got pass marks yesterday and dare I say it, sometimes, just sometimes you have got to acknowledge the quality of the opponent.

It's not always somebody's fault when a dangerous ball is delivered into the penalty box or when the opposition score a goal and this school of thinking seems to have stemmed from the TV pundits in the manner they analyse games.

We've no Colin Nish or John Rankin these days so unfortunately Alan Maybury seems to be the target for the mumpers.

Maybury has been a great signing for us......doesnt bother me that he used to be a yam ....delighted to have him

I seem to remember people being delighted when Maybury came on trial at the beginning of the season and were desperate for him to sign. I think he's a reasonable squad player for a club the size of Hibs, so he's far from perfect.

That said, I think it's more than a bit unfair to single the guy out for criticism when others have played badly as well, especially as we actually WON!

Onwards and upwards

FFS we won and kept a clean sheet yet the guy gets slated.

Team effort. Most players were poor but if we can win without McPake, Clancy and Deegan then that'll do fur me every week.

Squad effort at the mo.

AM will do for me just now so get off his back please.

Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    Can a manager not reshuffle any more? David Wotherspoon started off in the 1st team as a right back. If Maybury was a "total liability" , Fenlon would have hooked him and slotted Wotherspoon in there.

The few crosses coming in were long range hopeful affairs, which the keeper/centre halves can be expected to deal with. No-one was getting by Maybury and whipping them in from short range.

Wotherspoon was able to be in space on the right to take Sproule's pass and go on and score. If Maybury had been such a liability, Fenlon would have had Wotherspoon sitting far deeper ... and that chance might never have come.
    No point in debating this with your green tinted specs on.

Header early on, Novikovas hitting the post and a dangerous ball across the face of goal all of which - if Hearts had good strikers - probably would have resulted in a goal and all of which, came from Maybury not dealing with the threat sufficiently.

At one point he and Spoony (?) were practically positioned beside each other trying to contain Novikovas. Wotherspoon had the inside covered and instead of Maybury either putting in a tackle or at least showing him less of the outside, he stood off, and Novikovas was allowed to cross.

Pretty much all of Hearts chances came down that side yesterday, and Maybury didn't deal with many of them well.

He did improve in the second half though.

strange, disappointing, but not surprising from some ... Maybury used to be one of them, and so can't be trusted it seems.
    I hope you're not implying that this is why i was being critical of Maybury.

You'd be wrong.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If this were either of the last two seasons, Maybury would be a stand out player.

When Mcpake returns I actually won't mind him playing there if Hanlon goes to left back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    I hope you're not implying that this is why i was being critical of Maybury.

You'd be wrong.
    I was also critical of Maybury but also not because he was a Jambo. I don't think the turning a blind eye to a poor performance is OK just because we won. What happens if a player has a really poor game in a losing team? At the end of the day, a poor performance is what it says on the tin and has to be taken into account for future reference. What I would concede is that, as some suggest, Maybury' seemingly poor marking and positioning was due to Fenlon's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I was also critical of Maybury but also not because he was a Jambo. I don't think the turning a blind eye to a poor performance is OK just because we won. What happens if a player has a really poor game in a losing team? At the end of the day, a poor performance is what it says on the tin and has to be taken into account for future reference. What I would concede is that, as some suggest, Maybury' seemingly poor marking and positioning was due to Fenlon's instructions.
    I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the result, but had we lost yesterday I think that we'd all be A LOT more critical of our performance as a whole, and not just AM.

Hopefully McPake and Deegan are fit soon so that we stronger in defence and the middle of the park; we battled yesterday but could have done with a hard man in the midfield too.

Anyway, to any yams looking in 👆-👌

Left by mutual consent!
    No point in debating this with your green tinted specs on.

Header early on, Novikovas hitting the post and a dangerous ball across the face of goal all of which - if Hearts had good strikers - probably would have resulted in a goal and all of which, came from Maybury not dealing with the threat sufficiently.

At one point he and Spoony (?) were practically positioned beside each other trying to contain Novikovas. Wotherspoon had the inside covered and instead of Maybury either putting in a tackle or at least showing him less of the outside, he stood off, and Novikovas was allowed to cross.

Pretty much all of Hearts chances came down that side yesterday, and Maybury didn't deal with many of them well.

He did improve in the second half though.
    seems to me you have the green specs on. Ex-jambo not good enough, eh?

Hearts got nothing more than a few speculative crosses in from distance. We have CHs to deal with them. One clipped the cross bar -

utter fluke had it gone in. Patterson got on the end of another. That cross was from far enough out that one of our CHs should have gone through patterson when dealing with it. Nobody was going by maybury at will, so how can be described as a total liability is bonkers.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

To suggest that Alan was trying to 'sell the jersey' or somehow give the game to the Yams (as one or two have done here) is ridiculous. And those who do so are saying a lot more about the sort of people they are than anything about Alan Maybury.

I've met the guy and know more than enough about him to say that that sort of dishonesty just isn't in him. Not all former Hearts players are like Mick Stewart or ian Black.

Quote from Twitter: "Poor game of no real quality but doesn't matter. A win and into the next round. That's what matters. Great support. Easter rd was rocking!" He doesn't sound too disappointed Hibs are in the draw for the next round ...

Players all make mistakes, and as you rightly say there have been a number of times mistakes this season have led to goals conceded. This happens - it's called football.

It's disappointing that when we've had our best result (as opposed to performance) aginst our closest rivals for some time, people feel the need to single individuals out for - I was going to say criticism, but vilification seems to be a better word in view of some of the comments in this thread.

And you're right - Wotherspoon has been a real threat going forward this season, and all credit to him - he turned Mchattie inside out just before the goal - but yes, he probably needs to bear in mind that his full-back's entitled to a little more cover than he's been giving him recently.

But we won the game - by the skin of our teeth - and I'm not going to criticise any of the players who contributed to that win.

Not even Mary-Doll Sally-Ookus.
    Well said, good post. Agree about Spoony providing a bit more cover also.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Maybury was left exposed first half and struggled against their no. 18. He was much better second half against Driver.

Thought we needed his experience and an old head as we saw the game out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Part of a makeshift back four that has conceded 1 goal in 3 games, of which we have won two, and part of a team that has just pulled off one our most satisfying victories ever over Hearts, leading to them having the shortest ever reign as Scottish Cup holders, and us exacting some measure of revenge for May - so what's the problem?

I find the appetite on here from many to deride him very, very strange and very, very disappointing - he has made a very important contribution to our success this season, yesterday included. Didn't play Novikovas very well but did fine against Drvier, and tucked in well to make some important interceptions towards the end which meant we saw the game out without any major scares at all.

Compared to some of the imposters who have played RB for us in the last four years he is a huge improvement, and his versatility has been important. Said earlier this week that he has been very unlucky in that pretty much all of his mistakes have led to goals, whilst others have gotten away with them (sometimes thanks to Maybury himself).

Signed as cover and been well used as such - delighted we have him. I wish people would get off his back and just enjoy where we are right now.
    Completely agree you do get the impression some just need to feel the need to vent against. An ex-Hearts player is obviously an easy target however to me he is an experienced steady head at the back. Certainly better than junk like Towell and Hart. He should IMO have got closer to Novikovas however think he was wary about diving in and getting skinned for pace. In the second half he seemed better and got closer to Driver. He did ok certainly nothing to be openly slated for.

Maybury is a solid experienced pro who is doing a great job as defensive cover and has probably played more than he thought he would. I am struggling to see why anyone would be critical of him or have higher expectations than that tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I agree, to me it looked like he had been told to let them cross the ball knowin that mcgivern and Hanlon could cope fine with the balls in the air. More damage would of been done if maybury dived in got skinned then before you know it hearts have a good goal scoring chance, to me that's why staying narrow and solid was forcing them to cross it to their lonely striker.

seems to me you have the green specs on. Ex-jambo not good enough, eh?
    That's right, it must be because he's an ex jambo

Hearts got nothing more than a few speculative crosses in from distance. We have CHs to deal with them. One clipped the cross bar -
    Unsure it if was Novi.... but in the first half someone did get to the by line and clipped in a cross. I hadn't mentioned it before because our CHs did actually deal with that one well.

utter fluke had it gone in. Patterson got on the end of another. That cross was from far enough out that one of our CHs should have gone through patterson when dealing with it. Nobody was going by maybury at will, so how can be described as a total liability is bonkers.
    Yes, it would have been. Though in the end, we were lucky it was a miss hit cross. In retrospect of the win dare I say it doesn't matter what kind of a cross the attacker got away (we did win after all) but it was the continuously failing to deal with the attacker sufficiently that I and others were displeased about.

I think AM has been a good addition to our side - he's certainly no Michael Hart - but to gloss over any mistakes he made during that game (which was probably our biggest game of the season), whilst branding anyone who criticises Maybury's performance as having it in for him simply because he's an ex yam, defies any reasonable logic.

We can either agree that you're wrong, or agree to disagree

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    That's right, it must be because he's an ex jambo

Unsure it if was Novi.... but in the first half someone did get to the by line and clipped in a cross. I hadn't mentioned it before because our CHs did actually deal with that one well.

Yes, it would have been. Though in the end, we were lucky it was a miss hit cross. In retrospect of the win dare I say it doesn't matter what kind of a cross the attacker got away (we did win after all) but it was the continuously failing to deal with the attacker sufficiently that I and others were displeased about.

I think AM has been a good addition to our side - he's certainly no Michael Hart - but to gloss over any mistakes he made during that game (which was probably our biggest game of the season), whilst branding anyone who criticises Maybury's performance as having it in for him simply because he's an ex yam, defies any reasonable logic.

We can either agree that you're wrong, or agree to disagree
    Totally agree Dinky - I started the thread to discuss his performance, doesnt matter the result we should be able to discuss how the team and individuals played / are playing - for me firsth half Maybury was poor - on further reflection it may be as PB said because he was playing too narrow allowing Novisomething too much space - everyone pundits media even McGlynn acknowledged the right side was where Hearts were looking likely to create something - I dont dislike Maybury - was quite happy for him to sign for us as we need his like in the squad so absolutely nothing to do with him being an ex Yam.

If you watch Sky or BBC's coverage again, the camera angle in use right on full time picks up Maybury in the background. He's about the most animated guy in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    Totally agree Dinky - I started the thread to discuss his performance, doesnt matter the result we should be able to discuss how the team and individuals played / are playing - for me firsth half Maybury was poor - on further reflection it may be as PB said because he was playing too narrow allowing Novisomething too much space - everyone pundits media even McGlynn acknowledged the right side was where Hearts were looking likely to create something - I dont dislike Maybury - was quite happy for him to sign for us as we need his like in the squad so absolutely nothing to do with him being an ex Yam.
    Totally.

We shouldn't only be able to analyse (and if appropriate criticise) player performances after a defeat. The result was excellent, though the game was poor - and Maybury, for me, was the weak link in the first half - and from defence to attack, I hope we are better against ICT.

To be fair on AM, he was up against one of the few players (if not the only player) in that Hearts side that I actually rate.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Spot on. I mentioned this a few times to the wee lad yesterday when Maybury quite rightly chose not to dive in but made sure that his opponent could not get a cross in. Sometimes it's best just to get in the way. He did struggle in the opening half hour but I thought he coped well after that.

I remember being in the old East at a Rangers game when Brian Hamilton was playing. Laudrup got the ball in their 'D' and started off upfield. Hammy picked him up, closed him down, made it impossible for him to pass the ball, then shepherded him all the way to the touch-line, eventually winning the thrown-in.

All to the accompaniment of this utter moron behind me bellowing, "Get intae hum, Hamilton! Tackul hum ya big Jessie! Yer jist lettin hum dictate the play - get intae hum ..."

Dictating the play cetrtainly wasn't what Laudrup was doing - he was going exactly where Hammy and Hibs wanted him to go. This went on through the game, and by the end he was in such a state that he missed a penalty to equalise - and then missed it again when the referee gave him a second go.

Novikovas has the pace to skin a quicker defender than Alan Maybury. IMO Maybury had the sense (maybe we should give Pat F some credit there too) to stand off him - maybe too far at first, but it seems he was entitled to a bit more cover than Spoony was giving him first half. However, no damage was done first 45, and second 45 He got a bit tighter on Driver and Spoony did a bit more covering back, and there wasn't a problem. As I said, I didn't see more than the highlights of the first half, but the most of the second half I did see he and DW seemed to have the situation well under control.

I have no problem with folks offering criticism or making valid points for discussion - I think we both agree AM could have played much better during the first half-hour of the game - but I DID find the suggestion that the guy wasn't trying - or trying to throw the game Hearts' way - extremely offensive and way over the line of reasonable criticism.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Maybury has been a great signing for us......doesnt bother me that he used to be a yam ....delighted to have him
    Good SPL player. With plenty of experience in this league.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Slightly of topic but in regards to the post above - does anyone know what team he supports/supported?

I was critical of Maybury in the first half because the hearts winger was getting a lot of room but driver was kept very quiet in the second and credit goes to am for that. At the end of the day he was part of a team that beat hearts and that's good enough for me