hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Thread dedicated to those who took part in the Hands off Hibs campaign.

Just reading through the Yams meltdown thread and their plight, it got me thinking back to how different Hibs fans reacted to impending doom. So in honour of those who fought to save our club in its hour of need, I thought it would be fitting to dedicate a thread to them to show our gratitude.

My old boy (RIP) was heavily involved in the action at the time and told some cracking stories about what sort of schemes they got up to to try and thwart Mercer and his Banking backers. Unfortunately because all this took place prior to the interweb there is very little documentation or pics relating to the subject. I have a few clippings that the old man had kept in a box and will post them when I get the chance and would appreciate it if anyone else could maybe chip in with a few anecdotes or even a few newspaper clippings or personal photos.

Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

I wasn't involved in any official capacity but I certainly made sure plenty pubs were decorated with hands off hibs stickers.

I worked in same building mercer had an office in. Day 1 saw the windows tanned in.

Was a shareholder at the time so my bucket was full of the guff mercer would send wanting people to sell him their shares.

I can still remember the feeling when the local news broke the story that ftb had backed down. Few tears that night.

Ggtth
    Last edited by jodjam; 28-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.

A Terrible time..but the comradeship that came out of it was amazing
    I managed to weasel my way into a delegation that met with Duff and Gray on the day it was all hitting the fan....hundreds outside ER in shock
    My memory of the meeting was that they were shocked at what had happened and swore they would never sell their share to that **** of a man....

The HOH rally at ER was an emotional day...I stood next to Jimmy O'Rourke, tears a plenty...a bigger crowd than on matchday....and a smattering of traveling fans from down south and even a couple of yams in the old west.......
    Sends shivers down my spine when I think about it....
    The day is was all over...well....PARTY :) !

GGTTH ALWAYS

Blog Entries
    I'm about to go out but will try to tell story of our visit to Downing St to deliver the petition tomorrow!! As a teaser, Nelson Mandela was inside visiting the witch Thatcher. We had the ANC supporters ( wearing green & black scarves ) chanting Nelson Mandela says " Hands Off Hibs ".

First Team Breakthrough Soldiersteve's Avatar
    I was on an overseas exercise with the Army when I heard. I had deployed earlier than the Sergeant Major who mentioned it to me when he arrived. As he was a bit of a wind up merchant I thought he was "at it".
    Total disbelief when we got the Newspapers a few days later! If Mercer had appeared that day he would literally have been shot.
    Well done to all involved in fighting him off.

GGTTH

I was born in 1985. Too young to remember but it's because of the hands of hibs guys I have a club so thank you all.

GGTTH.

A horrible time in our history, but thankfully we came through it....

Too many people involved to mention individually but Kenny MacLean, the HSA, lots and lots of fans and STF....

To see where we are Today, and how others around are struggling, it makes it so pleasing that we have a sound financial plan is place.....The future's green....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    I'm only 24 so can only go by old paper stories and what you guys did. Hairs on my neck stand up when I read about it!

Long live Hibernian.

Will never forget the rally at ER, when I was in terracing. It was scorching weather, and most had Hands off Hibs t-shirts on....

When Joe Baker knelt down and kissed the hallowed turf, it was amazingly emotional......Will stay with me forever.....
    Last edited by Baldy Foghorn; 28-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Did no one even consider having a bake sale?

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm about to go out but will try to tell story of our visit to Downing St to deliver the petition tomorrow!! As a teaser, Nelson Mandela was inside visiting the witch Thatcher. We had the ANC supporters ( wearing green & black scarves ) chanting Nelson Mandela says " Hands Off Hibs ".
    Please do.

Remember my dad telling me about a harassing tactic that the HOH group used against the Bank of Scotland who were payrolling Mercer's bid. They would turn up in large groups at the banks branches with a tenner's worth of 1p pieces and get it exchanged at the counter for a £10 note. They'd then go back to the end of the queue and stand in line until they got to the cashier and then asked to change the note back into 1p pieces again. They'd continue doing this all day and effectively disrupted the banks normal business. Simple but genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldiersteve View Post
    I was on an overseas exercise with the Army when I heard. I had deployed earlier than the Sergeant Major who mentioned it to me when he arrived. As he was a bit of a wind up merchant I thought he was "at it".
    Total disbelief when we got the Newspapers a few days later! If Mercer had appeared that day he would literally have been shot.
    Well done to all involved in fighting him off.

GGTTH
    Same with me and it was nail biting stuff due to the flow of information being so slow back then.

Makes the whole thing even more remarkable when you take into account the means of communication that we have today and that the Yams are no further than cake bakes.

All a bit before my time, but the whole situation at the time is something that fascinates me, and we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to those involved at the time

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Will never forget the rally at ER, when I was in terracing. It was scorching weather, and most had Hands off Hibs t-shirts on....

When Joe Baker knelt down and kissed the hallowed turf, it was amazingly emotional......Will stay with me forever.....
    Agree 100%.

@hibs.net private member Minder's Avatar
    Mercer only backed down when it became clear we were not going to the gallows without a fight. He knew we could get to him and at zero hour he bottled it. I shudder to think what would have happened if he hadn't bottled it. One thing is sure we would not have been baking cakes!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Great thread!

My father had passed away suddenly in the April this felt like another body blow. I came late to attending games (aged 17) but was always a supporter (5 generations of Leithers saw to that) . So it caught me by surprise just how much of my life was and still is wrapped up in Hibs.

I had a summer job at the DSS on Commercial street - lots of diehards there were in shock. Left as soon as flexi allowed and ran to the stadium. Awful feeling - completely shell shocked. Went to the rally at the Usher hall - to this day I'll respect Robbo for attending and speaking out - and the one at ER - it was the day that Stone Roses played Glasgow green. Went straight through from the rally to wait in line in my HOH t-shirt no bother at all - even the security guards let me pass without a pat down.

Thank God for Kenny Maclean and the other members of the team and STF to mobilise the support and save the Hibs - what a legacy to leave.

Without disrespect intended to the fallen - "Lest we forget".
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 28-11-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Great thread!

My father had passed away suddenly in the April this felt like another body blow. I came late to attending games but was always a supporter (5 generations of Leithers saw to that) when I was 17. So it caught me by surprise just how much of my life was and still is wrapped up in Hibs.

I had a summer job at the DSS on Commercial street - lots of diehards there were in shock. Left as soon as flexi allowed and ran to the stadium. Awful feeling - completely shell shocked. Went to the rally at the Usher hall - to this day I'll respect Robbo for attending and speaking out - and the one at ER - it was the day that Stone Roses played Glasgow green. Went straight through from the rally to wait in line in my HOH t-shirt no bother at all - even the security guards let me pass without a pat down.

Thank God for Kenny Maclean and the other members of the team and STF to mobilise the support and save the Hibs - what a legacy to leave.

Without disrespect intended to the fallen - "Lest we forget".

I was about 20 at the time and was working in Glasgow when I heard the news. I refused to believe it. When I got home to Edinburgh it was across the front pages and on the News. I have to admit I burst into tears. I really did think it was the end of the Hibs. Still remember the day vividly. My old man raging and my old lady trying to re-assure me the Hibs would Survive. I was at the HOH rally at ER and remember Joe Baker kissing the turf. Met Joe at his testomonial dinner at the sheraton as well. Top Bloke and a true Hibs legend. A very worrying time tho. BIg Tony Higgins outstanding as well. God Bless the HIbs

Left by mutual consent!
    When the news broke the first place I made for was Easter Road. Hundreds of guys all milling around outside waiting on answers and getting angrier by the minute. It took a good few hours before we all realised it was true, and the FTB was going to buy out Rolland et al and shut down Hibernian.

After the anger subsided, it was then round to the Hibs club to find out any news. The organisation which grew from the HSA was immense and the guys on the committee were instrumental on saving the club. The plans to buy shares/disrupt/persuade anyone with whom we could win our battle was like a scene from a war time movie.

Buses going round the town, getting the media onside, which culminated in the rally at Easter Road. Don't let the yams tell you otherwise, they were few and far between.

I always remember my son asking me at the rally if they will take Hibs away from us Dad. No son, No chance. At the time we didn't have enough shares to block the FTB and it was in the balance, however that day was to come.

I really don't think Mercer knew what he'd bitten off when he tried to waltz into town proclaiming their would only be one team in Edinburgh, and they would wear maroon. He brought the wrath of the Hibernian fans down on him that day, and unfortunately his family were put in harms way, he hadn't thought this through but his ego led him into the war he would never win.

GGTTH

HOH

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post

A lasting memory if ever there was.

A mixture of desperation, frustration and downright anger made me spend a considerable amount of money on Hibs shares but I really felt as though I was doing my bit if I could prevent the evil one from acquiring a majority stake.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    When the news broke the first place I made for was Easter Road. Hundreds of guys all milling around outside waiting on answers and getting angrier by the minute. It took a good few hours before we all realised it was true, and the FTB was going to buy out Rolland et al and shut down Hibernian.

After the anger subsided, it was then round to the Hibs club to find out any news. The organisation which grew from the HSA was immense and the guys on the committee were instrumental on saving the club. The plans to buy shares/disrupt/persuade anyone with whom we could win our battle was like a scene from a war time movie.

Buses going round the town, getting the media onside, which culminated in the rally at Easter Road. Don't let the yams tell you otherwise, they were few and far between.

I always remember my son asking me at the rally if they will take Hibs away from us Dad. No son, No chance. At the time we didn't have enough shares to block the FTB and it was in the balance, however that day was to come.

I really don't think Mercer knew what he'd bitten off when he tried to waltz into town proclaiming their would only be one team in Edinburgh, and they would wear maroon. He brought the wrath of the Hibernian fans down on him that day, and unfortunately his family were put in harms way, he hadn't thought this through but his ego led him into the war he would never win.

GGTTH

HOH

Left by mutual consent!
    I was a bit of a commie back then so it was fun trying to screw up the banks as well as waldo's bid. Went to visit him one time but only reached the outer perimeter of his house and garage. Left a little "momento" of our visit. Next thing in the early hours he is on the phone to the committee in the Hibs Club screaming down the line "call of your dogs i'm packing it in".

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Gav View Post
    A Terrible time..but the comradeship that came out of it was amazing
    I managed to weasel my way into a delegation that met with Duff and Gray on the day it was all hitting the fan....hundreds outside ER in shock
    My memory of the meeting was that they were shocked at what had happened and swore they would never sell their share to that **** of a man....

The HOH rally at ER was an emotional day...I stood next to Jimmy O'Rourke, tears a plenty...a bigger crowd than on matchday....and a smattering of traveling fans from down south and even a couple of yams in the old west.......
    Sends shivers down my spine when I think about it....
    The day is was all over...well....PARTY :) !

GGTTH ALWAYS

There is a lot to this story that has never been told and never will .
    I drove my boss and his wife to Glasgow on a Friday night ( they were going to the opera) and on the way home ( he had had a few swallies) he announced
    ' Your going to lose your football team '
    and went on tell me they had spent the evening in the company of Waldo and he had given them the news
    THIS WAS SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE STORY BROKE IN THE PRESS
    I was called into his office the next morning before 09.00 and 'warned' as to the consequences if I mentioned this to anyone !!!!

In the next few weeks a series of meeting s were held at an Hotel in Fife between Duff/Gray etal and Mercer and his reps .
    I drove the boss and was present at all of them .
    As much as I personally mistrusted Duff and Gray I had the greatest admiration for them both when they refused to sell up with out legally binding undertakings to preserve HFC name and the club. .
    The story then broke and the rest is history as they say

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    I drove my boss and his wife to Glasgow on a Friday night ( they were going to the opera) and on the way home ( he had had a few swallies) he announced
    and went on tell me they had spent the evening in the company of Waldo and he had given them the news
    I was called into his office the next morning before 09.00 and 'warned' as to the consequences if I mentioned this to anyone !!!!

In the next few weeks a series of meeting s were held at an Hotel in Fife between Duff/Gray etal and Mercer and his reps .
    As much as I personally mistrusted Duff and Gray I had the greatest admiration for them both when they refused to sell up with out legally binding undertakings to preserve HFC name and the club. .
    Interesting you say some parts of the story will never come out.

I've always thought that after such a length of time having passed and a few of the key players no longer with us that a bit of real in depth investigative journalism would have made for an interesting book and a sure fire bestseller in Edinburgh.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

Why not?

I was working the door at the last drop when the fat twat drove past parked his car and headed for one of the restaurants in the grassmarket. I proceeded towards him and was about to give him it when one of his heavies gave me a dull one. I couldn't believe the twat had the balls to head out in town only a few days into the takeover with feeling running high. I wish we had mobile phones back then as I could have had a healthy mob there within minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Interesting you say some parts of the story will never come out.

I've always thought that after such a length of time having passed and a few of the key players no longer with us that a bit of real in depth investigative journalism would have made for an interesting book and a sure fire bestseller in Edinburgh.

I had to sign an undertaking that I would not ' discuss/divulge what was discussed ' at these three meetings before the story broke .
    An undertaking I will not break
    However I agree totally with what you say about ' investigative journalism ' - that should have been done years ago
    Personally I feel with Mercer dead ,Duff and Gray being wherever and STF having put the club on a sound financial footing it is perhaps the time to say a big thankyou to him and let it be

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I was about 7 or so and was one of the hibs kids getting paraded about the pitch that day with the players and ex players, it was fantastic, I collect a good few scarves that all the nice guys in the east were chucking at us!

I was too young to really understand it at the time but I was aware that we were all there to stop wallace mercer killing hibs, and it worked, 7 year old me felt like part of it.

One of the lasting memories from that day I have was seeing hearts/rangers/st johnstone/dundee etc fans in the stadium supporting our cause to save hibs and not see us go to the wall.

Hate iPhones - such an emotional time. I remember being dressed in full hibs strip outside C&A in princes street with my collection tin. Lots of posters being put up all over town and plastering any spare spot with stickers. Amazing loyalty and togetherness from hibs fans and that rally at ER was so emotional. I remember the hibs club the night the club was saved drinking champagne, it was wonderful!!

I remember the first derby at Easter Road after Mercer backed down. The atmosphere was unbelievably charged (so much hatred that had been bottled up, now coming to vent).

I think (memory’s fading) Robbo scored (at away end) and was celebrating to his fans (between the goal post and the corner flag at east terracing), when one of our boys jumped onto the pitch to get at Robbo, Goram stopped him getting to Robbo, by grabbing him in a bear hug, then a jambo jumped onto the pitch and belted our boy (while Goram still had him in the bear hug). The place erupted. I think if it wasn’t for the fencing around the terracing there would have been a pitch invasion.

The jambo got done for assault and our boy got a rap on the knuckles for jumping on the pitch.

Such was the passion of the time.