hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New SPL proposals

Two divisions of 12, that split into 3 divisions of 8 after 22 matches
    I presume the middle group of 8 start from scratch, so a team 10-12 points clear of 12th after 22 gets to start over and could be relegated??
    How *****in complicated are they trying to make this? Or have I missed something?

2. Log in to remove the advert

You know something, I couldn't be arsed to try work that out. I mean........ Really?

First Team Breakthrough northseahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I presume the middle group of 8 start from scratch, so a team 10-12 points clear of 12th after 22 gets to start over and could be relegated??
    How *****in complicated are they trying to make this? Or have I missed something?
    I know I am getting on a bit but that has me totally bamboozled

Left by mutual consent!
    I've seen better ideas posted by folk on here who have nothing tae do with running fitba.

Help ma boab.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    That sounds interesting.

22 games then home and away after the splits.

36 games each.

Top 8 play for the Championship and Europe. Middle 8 play to avoid relegation from, and to gain promotion to, SPL1. Bottom 8 play to avoid relegation to the SFL?

This would ensure an even split of home and away games and it certainly would reduce the number of meaningless games.

On the face of it, it's better than a 14 team division with a split after 26 games, which would just give us a bigger version of what we have now with more pointless fixtures.

Definitely worth exploring further, imo.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 19-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

This idea is used elsewhere successfully. It is not like it is something they randomly came up with one afternoon.

Whats so difficult about an 18 team top league, play each other home and away which equals 34 games then play all cup games at the weekend.

Oh wait we simply must have 4 OF games a season of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That sounds interesting.

22 games then home and away after the splits.

36 games each.

Top 8 play for the Championship and Europe. Middle 8 play to avoid relegation from and to gain promotion to, SPL1. Bottom 8 play to avoid relegation to the SFL?

This would ensure an even split of home and away games and it certainly would reduce the number of meaningless games.

On the face of it, it's better than a 14 team division with a split after 26 games, which would just give us a bigger version of what we have now with more pointless fixtures.

Definitely worth exploring further, imo.
    Was actually discussing this at work today. I like the idea, assuming that the points for the first 22 games do not get carried over to the last 14 games.

That way, you play 22 games to get into position to play for Europe and the Title or to fight relegation. Then with points reset to zero, you have a 14 game sprint to the title. Certainly will generate more interest. I hope that one of the conditions is that you need to retain the same players for the pre and post split - i.e. you cannot go out and buy a new team, just because you just made the top 8.

The more I consider it, the more I like it.

Making the top 8 will be much more important compared to the minor benefits of being in the top 6 currently.

The top 8 get rewarded with 14 bigger games, which will be very lucrative.

Every point in the middle 8 games will be massive because potentially, 4 teams could be relegated/promoted.

The importance of the bottom 8 fixtures will depend on the relegation/promotion arrangements with the SFL.

I really like it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Whats so difficult about an 18 team top league, play each other home and away which equals 34 games then play all cup games at the weekend.

Far too many meaningless games.

Attendances would be rock bottom.

What's difficult about it is that Hibs and similar clubs would lose between £1.5m - £2.0m per season through not having a TV deal on par with what we have now and losing home games v the bigger SPL clubs.

We'd have part time football in no time IMO.

I like the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Was actually discussing this at work today. I like the idea, assuming that the points for the first 22 games do not get carried over to the last 14 games.

That way, you play 22 games to get into position to play for Europe and the Title or to fight relegation. Then with points reset to zero, you have a 14 game sprint to the title. Certainly will generate more interest. I hope that one of the conditions is that you need to retain the same players for the pre and post split - i.e. you cannot go out and buy a new team, just because you just made the top 8.
    I presume points for SPL 1 and 3 WILL get carried over as there are no new teams-be bloody exciting though if they didnt-14 game dash for the title

I presume points for SPL 1 and 3 WILL get carried over as there are no new teams-be bloody exciting though if they didnt-14 game dash for the title
    The Belgians have something like that, I think they get to keep half their existing points.

That sounds great, but it's too radical for our lot.

How about a 16-team League with local League Cup qualifying groups with four teams per group. That would give 15+3 home games and 36 in total. It will ne necessary to invite a couple of Senior Clubs to balance the numbers.

The media would get their four OF matches a season (eventually?) and there would be four Hibs-Hearts derbies a season (maybe?).

The groups could be Glasgow (Celtic, Partick, Sevco, Queens Park), Edinburgh (Hibs, Hearts, Livingston, Spartans), Fife (Dunfermline, Raith, Cowdenbeath, East Fife), Stirlingshire (Falkirk, Stirling Albion, East Stirling, Stenhousemuir), Tayside (Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone, plus one), etc.

Not that complicated and could hopefully lead to some exciting matches post split. It would be great if all points were wiped at the split too. Its mean and totally unfair to teams with loads of points at the end of the first round of matches.

Who cares about fair when you can have exciting ... everybody will start the season on zero points and knowing whats at stake after all.

I like it ......

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    Not that complicated and could hopefully lead to some exciting matches post split. It would be great if all points were wiped at the split too. Its mean and totally unfair to teams with loads of points at the end of the first round of matches.

Who cares about fair when you can have exciting ... everybody will start the season on zero points and knowing whats at stake after all.

I like it ......

I like it as well but what's the betting that they won't zero the points and it will be the same miserable two horse race as before

It's pants! And designed to let the SPL keep their desired format of a 12-team top league.
    Only the SPL can sell an increased league without increasing the size of the league.
    SIXTEEN is the only way and favoured by over 80% of fans.
    This time if they don't listen to what fans want the can expect a mass exodus - for sure.
    Plenty fans on the verge of leaving and looking for an excuse to do just that - this is perfect for just that.

I think the proposal is daft. After 22 games you could be 9th, but only 3 points off a European spot, but then your season is over already with 14 games left.

Quote Originally Posted by alexedwards View Post
    It's pants! And designed to let the SPL keep their desired format of a 12-team top league.
    Only the SPL can sell an increased league without increasing the size of the league.
    This time if they don't listen to what fans want the can expect a mass exodus - for sure.
    Plenty fans on the verge of leaving and looking for an excuse to do just that - this is perfect for just that.
    16 teams would give us 30 games, 8 less than we currently have.

That would equate to a 20% reduction in income.

I don't believe 80% of fans want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    16 teams would give us 30 games, 8 less than we currently have.

That would equate to a 20% reduction in income.

I don't believe 80% of fans want that.
    Certainly not 80% of fans who have got a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by alexedwards View Post
    The season wouldn't be over.

Your club would have 14 more important games to avoid relegation.

And, can you imagine the excitement of the games leading up to the split if your scenario came to pass?

Crowds would increase and interest would be extremely high.

14 teams is just a bigger version of what we currently have.

16 teams gives us too few games.

If there were 18 teams, the clubs in positions 7 to 14 or so, would have absolutely nothing to play for before spring arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Certainly not 80% of fans who have got a clue.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Currently post split, all the clubs in the bottom 6's crowds go down. There are only 1/2 teams with something to play for.
    If they go bottom 4/top 4 of SPL 2, teams will be fighting for their lives, crowds will go up, TV will be interested in these games. Sounds a no brainier to me.
    Lets just hope we can get into the top 8

What we've had for the last 20 years or something is two teams spending ten times as much on wages as anyone else. Until that changes we'll never have proper competition. Changing the format is just window dressing.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Any league setup that includes a split will continue to make the SPL look ridiculous.

Stupid stupid idea.

Why is it the self proclaimed 'Greatest League In The World' can cope with a 20 team league?

Is there loads of meaningless games then after Christmas?

Still doesn't stop Sky pumping millions in.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    I think the proposal is daft. After 22 games you could be 9th, but only 3 points off a European spot, but then your season is over already with 14 games left.
    Aah but no-its not over-you're points are wiped out and now you're fighting to avoid relegation

Aah but no-its not over-you're points are wiped out and now you're fighting to avoid relegation
    Has it actually been confirmed that points would be wiped out at the time of the split? I can't see Celtic going for that somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post

Why is it the self proclaimed 'Greatest League In The World' can cope with a 20 team league?
    They cope for a number of reasons.

1. Their population is much greater.
    2. The players are much better.
    3 Demand to see the teams outstrips supply.

I remember the First division before the premier division arrived in 1975 and I can assure you, we regularly played in front of less than 6000 towards the end of the season, and that's with a team consisting of players like Stanton, Schaedler, Blackley, Brownlie and Bremner.

And that's a big team like Hibs. You can imagine the crowds the likes of Airdrie and Partick etc were getting.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Has it actually been confirmed that points would be wiped out at the time of the split? I can't see Celtic going for that somehow.
    The top 8 retain their points. It's the bottom 4 / top 4 that start with zero points, as effectively they are in a new league