hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Deegan

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar

Gary Deegan

Any more updates on the state of his jaw? When's he likely to be back?

Certainly think we have missed his fight in midfield since his absence...really hoping he's back for the Derby because on his derby debut he was brilliant in the middle of the park and will go a long way to helping us get a result
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

2. Log in to remove the advert

He was back training last week I think.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any more updates on the state of his jaw? When's he likely to be back?

Certainly think we have missed his fight in midfield since his absence...really hoping he's back for the Derby because on his derby debut he was brilliant in the middle of the park and will go a long way to helping us get a result
    I'll be very happy to have him back fit again but I didn't think his form was particularly good before his injury, and Taiwo has been good when I've seen him. We've taken 9 points from 15 (2 homes, 3 away) without him, so I'm sceptical as to how much we have actually missed him, if at all - though you could rightly argue that half of our defeats have come without him. I would say that Clancy and McPake have been much bigger misses though.

Regardless, he is a valuable member of the squad, and I look forward to his return.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 19-11-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Did they ever catch the thug that attacked him, cant recall seeing anything in the news.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by green glory View Post
    He was back training last week I think.
    Light non contact training so he is 2-3 weeks away IMO

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deegangonnagetu View Post
    Light non contact training so he is 2-3 weeks away IMO
    Thanks Gary

See from McPakes twitter that Claros took a hit to the head today in training.
    ​​

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    See from McPakes twitter that Claros took a hit to the head today in training.
    was that not from the weekend ? bad news if its another dunt
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post

It's from Saturday.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    Thanks Gary
    No prob top o' the evening ti yi

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    http://twitter.com/CalumAntell/status/270493552461631489/photo/1

Looks like Gary is on his way back, could do with him for the games at the end of the year v Celtic & Hearts

Hibernian FC@HibernianFCClub Hibernian under-20s are next in action against Celtic at Easter Road on Tuesday 11 December, kick off 2pm

Hibernian FC@HibernianFCClub
    Plus Gary Deegan is expected to make his comeback appearance after recovering from his broken jaw in that U20 League fixture #hibees

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Great news

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YehButNo But View Post
    Looks like Gary is on his way back, could do with him for the games at the end of the year v Celtic & Hearts

Hibernian FC@HibernianFCClub Hibernian under-20s are next in action against Celtic at Easter Road on Tuesday 11 December, kick off 2pm

Plus Gary Deegan is expected to make his comeback appearance after recovering from his broken jaw in that U20 League fixture #hibees

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Good news although I think hat Taiwo has been improving with each game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I'll be very happy to have him back fit again but I didn't think his form was particularly good before his injury, and Taiwo has been good when I've seen him. We've taken 9 points from 15 (2 homes, 3 away) without him, so I'm sceptical as to how much we have actually missed him, if at all - though you could rightly argue that half of our defeats have come without him. I would say that Clancy and McPake have been much bigger misses though.

Regardless, he is a valuable member of the squad, and I look forward to his return.
    Completely disagree with that. Our midfield hasn't been the same since we lost Deegan, and we've won games despite his absence. We won vs Hearts, St Johnstone and Motherwell away despite taking a beating in the midfield areas. Taiwo is tidy but he gets lost in games, I haven't been particularly impressed with him yet. Even when Deegan doesn't have a standout game his work rate and aggression opens things up for others. As vital as Cairney IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Completely disagree with that. Our midfield hasn't been the same since we lost Deegan, and we've won games despite his absence. We won vs Hearts, St Johnstone and Motherwell away despite taking a beating in the midfield areas. Taiwo is tidy but he gets lost in games, I haven't been particularly impressed with him yet. Even when Deegan doesn't have a standout game his work rate and aggression opens things up for others. As vital as Cairney IMO.
    Gotta agree, very little goes throught the middle of the park when Deegan is there. He is also marshalls and gives those around him confidence. Other teams dont like playing aginst him and we have had to really scrap it out in midfield when he hasn't been there. Hope he is back ASAP. Nice to see some other players developing in his absence though as we have developed a bit of depth in the squad due to some of these injuries. We just need to be lucky with injuries and we should be able to get on top of the table and have a decent chance. (cant believe I am actually saying that!!! - amazing the change in the last six months - Well done pat and all the players).
    Last edited by spike220; 07-12-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YehButNo But View Post

Hopefully he'll be back for either the Kilmarnock game on the 23rd December or the Ross County game on Boxing Day then.

Little do we forgett that before degan got injured his form had actually slipped and he was poor against aberdeen! Kili and inverness if I remember correctly. Tom and the ever present claros have been brilliant in going about there business.

That's what you would expect from a good squad, now deegan will struggle to get back in, as will james and tim imo and long may that continue

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    Seems quite similar to Claros though. Maybe succession planning from PF?

We just need to be lucky with injuries and we should be able to get on top of the table and have a decent chance. (cant believe I am actually saying that!!! - amazing the change in the last six months - Well done pat and all the players).[/QUOTE]

Why not, live the dream. Inverness here we come. No pressure on the Hibees now, who knows how things will develop. What a great time to head to Inverness for the first time. Another top of the table clash!
    Go Pat and the lads.

:pfgwa

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    He's definitely improving,goes about his business quietly & would think there's more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Well I completely disagree with you, funnily enough

I think Deegan is an important player but we also won at home to St. Johnstone despite being completely outplayed for much of the game (though Deegan was directly involved in the 2nd goal), and were under serious pressure when we won at home to Killie, in both games Deegan and the midfield struggled to cope for spells. We also lost at Pittodrie when Deegan didn't show up at all.

We have won as many league games without Deegan (4 out of 7) as we did with him (4 out of 8), - the Hearts game means that we have won more games without him than we have with him. You are extremely harsh on the midfield in the games without him, without giving a fair appraisal of the part he played in the games that we won despite not being on top for long spells, IMO.

The whole team deserves credit for grinding out the wins that we have had this year, Deegan very much included when he has played - he is a vital part of our squad and I am delighted we have him. However, I feel that you are overstating his importance to the side, and he is not up there with the real stand out performers from this season IMO. I've no doubt that he has played, and will continue to play, a big part this season though.

It's funny how different opinions can be, before he got injured I thought that he wasn't imposing himself enough on games and was definitely surrendering possession too easily with careless passing, but I wasn't too worried as results were good - I said if anyone's place in the team was in danger due to competition for places I thought it would be him, though it was obviously injury that did lose him his place.

It's interesting that you now see Taiwo as being in that position, but you would like him replaced despite the good results. I haven't seen much difference in the midfield at its best and worst whether it's been Taiwo or Deegan in there to be honest, I think the performances and results back that up, and I'm delighted with that really.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 07-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    He's exactly the type of players to play in derby matches

We may have won as many games with Gary than without but have we had as much control in the midfield in those games. IMO no.

Evident at St Johnstone where we were outplayed in then middle. Also v hearts Claros was left un protected at the mercy of Barr . We were outplayed in midfield IMO.
    ​​

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Deegan gives a better chance of bossing the midfield than taiwo, not to say that tt isn't a good player cause he is, just that Gary deegan offers more bite.

We may have won as many games with Gary than without but have we had as much control in the midfield in those games. IMO no.

Evident at St Johnstone where we were outplayed in then middle. Also v hearts Claros was left un protected at the mercy of Barr . We were outplayed in midfield IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Deegan gives a better chance of bossing the midfield than taiwo, not to say that tt isn't a good player cause he is, just that Gary deegan offers more bite.
    As I said, I see very little difference, I think both have done very well and deserve as much credit - Claros has been the stand out midfielder this season, and he has been ably assisted by both players. Deegan's reputation and build perhaps suggest that he will be more imposing than Taiwo, but I don't think he has been, and I think that Taiwo should keep his place as long as we are winning.

However, when Deegan comes back and however soon it is, I will have no worries, and I'm delighted with the squad that Pat has built.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 07-12-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Well I completely disagree with you, funnily enough

I think Deegan is an important player but we also won at home to St. Johnstone despite being completely outplayed for much of the game (though Deegan was directly involved in the 2nd goal), and were under serious pressure when we won at home to Killie, in both games Deegan and the midfield struggled to cope for spells. We also lost at Pittodrie when Deegan didn't show up at all.

We have won as many league games without Deegan (4 out of 7) as we did with him (4 out of 8), - the Hearts game means that we have won more games without him than we have with him. You are extremely harsh on the midfield in the games without him, without giving a fair appraisal of the part he played in the games that we won despite not being on top for long spells, IMO.

The whole team deserves credit for grinding out the wins that we have had this year, Deegan very much included when he has played - he is a vital part of our squad and I am delighted we have him. However, I feel that you are overstating his importance to the side, and he is not up there with the real stand out performers from this season IMO. I've no doubt that he has played, and will continue to play, a big part this season though.

It's funny how different opinions can be, before he got injured I thought that he wasn't imposing himself enough on games and was definitely surrendering possession too easily with careless passing, but I wasn't too worried as results were good - I said if anyone's place in the team was in danger due to competition for places I thought it would be him, though it was obviously injury that did lose him his place.

It's interesting that you now see Taiwo as being in that position, but you would like him replaced despite the good results. I haven't seen much difference in the midfield at its best and worst whether it's been Taiwo or Deegan in there to be honest, I think the performances and results back that up, and I'm delighted with that really.

He's obviously not 'one of the real standout performers of this season', he's been injured for half the games!

I do respect your opinion, but Deegan has the ability to dominate and bully his opponent in a way Taiwo and others havent shown they can yet. Its been one of our biggest failings for years and years, the soft centre. Diminutive, busy, tidy midfielders that dont do a lot wrong but never leave their mark on a game are fine as squad players but they won't go out and win you much.

The three recent absentees (Deegan, McPake and Clancy) are certain first eleven players when fit IMO. They are also three of our most physically imposing players that dont get bullied. That we've managed to win games without them, including the derby, and keep pace with Celtc right into December is a massive testament to how far we've come under Fenlon

From what i've seen from Taiwo and Deegan there doesn't seem to be much between them, although if pushed from what i've seen so far i'd go for Deegan. If it's to be Claros and one other in the middle (and rightly so after Claros's form this season) then I would prefer Claros & Deegan.

Having said that I can see Taiwo & Deegan being a decent central midfield partnership, and if we can't extend Jorge's loan deal in Jan than I would be more than happy to give the both of them a run of games in the middle and see how we do. Good problems to have mind