hibs.net Messageboard

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1993
    I'm on a right downer just now, got concerns about every one of my immediate family for differing reasons, my head is scrambled and my emotions are just about managing to cope. I'm under the impression nobody has the same concerns for happy go lucky me which doesn't help much.

I feel my role in the family is very similar to the one that Del boy describes in Only Fools and Horses in the episode when grandad dies and he has to defend his upbeat mood at the wake in the flat to Rodney. It's not that easy.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 25-02-2020 at 06:40 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I hope someone can support you in this "role" and take on some of the responsibility you feel you are having to deal with. As always, talk to someone, share your feelings, talking can really help. As always there are many of us using this forum who can help even to chat to. Take care

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm on a right downer just now, got concerns about every one of my immediate family for differing reasons, my head is scrambled and my emotions are just about managing to cope. I'm under the impression nobody has the same concerns for happy go lucky me which doesn't help much.

I feel my role in the family is very similar to the one that Del boy describes in Only Fools and Horses in the episode when grandad dies and he has to defend his upbeat mood at the wake in the flat to Rodney. It's not that easy.
    You’re right it’s not that easy. People deal with things in different ways and if your coping mechanism is to be bright and bubbly you’re less likely receive support from the people around you. It’s something I’ve had to deal with for a long time.

United we stand here....

Alright folks,

It’s been a bit of a crazy year so far and we’re not even out of March.

There’s a lot of uncertainty over things like the Coronavirus. We don’t know what’s going to happen and this will have an effect on the mental health of many. Especially if we start to isolate.

Much like the thread that Pretty Boy started about Community updates, maybe it would be good to have a group for people suffering from mental health issues who could be isolated and cut off from others even more. Likewise, if anyone wants to chat then just drop me a PM.

Thanks

Advice and guidance from Mind on the coronavirus and mental health.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...knhFySOPzSNaFs

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Advice and guidance from Mind on the coronavirus and mental health.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...knhFySOPzSNaFs

We have had someone not turn up this week because she is so worried about getting the virus she has made herself unwell. It is a crying shame for her, as she needs to be in control of everything, and when the wind is in her sails, she is one of the most effective people that we have. She is completely sincere when she says that she would swap this for something more serious that people could see.

If this whole CV thing is starting to send you into a downward spiral, consider the following;

Bit of positive news :

- China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

-Hearts are going bust.

Keep well

Just been advised to stay away from work for the foreseeable future due to having asthma. Going to work was the last thing I had left of my normal routine so I'm really struggling with the thought of having absolutely nothing to do for potentially several months.

This is hell.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Just been advised to stay away from work for the foreseeable future due to having asthma. Going to work was the last thing I had left of my normal routine so I'm really struggling with the thought of having absolutely nothing to do for potentially several months.

This is hell.
    Feel for u, try taking up some online courses or learn a new language to give u something to do while in the house. I’m sure u will get free courses or lessons online. It may be a while but we will get back to normality so try and keep as positive as u can 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Feel for u, try taking up some online courses or learn a new language to give u something to do while in the house. I’m sure u will get free courses or lessons online. It may be a while but we will get back to normality so try and keep as positive as u can ����
    Cheers. I'm really not dealing with this very well at all. I know everyone is dealing with the same issues at the moment and some people are in a worse position than I am but the whole isolation stuff is really affecting me in quite a big way and now staying away from work for an indefinite amount of time is tough.

I might look into some online courses.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar

th

I've looked into this thread a few times and not commented, but thought it would maybe help others by giving my thoughts.

My teenage daughter has struggled with her mental health throughout her teenage years, she was bullied at school and self harmed, her arms are a mess with cut marks. Things came to a head about 18 months ago, when aged 14 she took an overdose of pills and spent a night at A&E. We got her help through CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Scotland), the last couple of years have been tough and she was on so many drugs we could have started up our own Pharmacy! Now, aged 16, she has left school, got herself a wee part time job and is off her meds. The last few days I've had a wee chat with her and she appears to be coping very well as all the uncertainty which could easily set her back, she did say if this had all happened about a year ago she would have been a mess.

I guess the reason behind this post is to show that things can seem really bad at times but there is always the hope that we can turn things around. Take care folks.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    I've looked into this thread a few times and not commented, but thought it would maybe help others by giving my thoughts.

My teenage daughter has struggled with her mental health throughout her teenage years, she was bullied at school and self harmed, her arms are a mess with cut marks. Things came to a head about 18 months ago, when aged 14 she took an overdose of pills and spent a night at A&E. We got her help through CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Scotland), the last couple of years have been tough and she was on so many drugs we could have started up our own Pharmacy! Now, aged 16, she has left school, got herself a wee part time job and is off her meds. The last few days I've had a wee chat with her and she appears to be coping very well as all the uncertainty which could easily set her back, she did say if this had all happened about a year ago she would have been a mess.

I guess the reason behind this post is to show that things can seem really bad at times but there is always the hope that we can turn things around. Take care folks.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm really glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and well done to her for getting a job. That alone will be so beneficial to her mental health.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing. I'm really glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and well done to her for getting a job. That alone will be so beneficial to her mental health.
    Thanks.

The change in her the last couple of months has been amazing. She went from being a cheery wee lass in Primary School, to being very introvert and spending all her time in her room, to back being cheery again. Everybody comments on how much better she appears. It was horrible watching her being so depressed at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Thanks.

The change in her the last couple of months has been amazing. She went from being a cheery wee lass in Primary School, to being very introvert and spending all her time in her room, to back being cheery again. Everybody comments on how much better she appears. It was horrible watching her being so depressed at such a young age.
    It must be awful as a parent to watch your child become so unhappy and not have any way of helping them.

The teenage years can be such a horrible time in someone's life. I hated high school and got bullied as well. It affected me a lot and to be honest I feel I'm still dealing with the effects of it today and that was from about 16 or 17 years ago.

Although I never reached the depths that your daughter got to, I often felt so alone and didn't feel like I could reach out to anyone.

It's great your daughter has managed to get the help that she needed and sounds like she's in a much stronger place already. Fingers crossed for her that it's onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    If this whole CV thing is starting to send you into a downward spiral, consider the following;

Bit of positive news :

- China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

-Hearts are going bust.

Keep well

Great post hibsbollah. First positive post I’ve seen in a while. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues in the past the last couple of weeks have been tough. When the News and media are constantly throwing words like death, virus, pandemic, enemy, war etc. On a 24 hour loop it can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Best thing I’ve done is just take a wee break from all news and social media and I’ve been encouraging others to do so, even just for a day or two.

Take care everyone. Our mental well-being is so so important alongside our physical health and don’t be afraid to speak up.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Note that one or two posters have mentioned the possibility of taking a course during the present circumstances. During my own time working in mental health it's always been noticeable the amount of people who chose to study counselling etc.in oder to understand their own mh issues. Just spotted this course in a positive psychology group Sunday evening which looks interesting. Don't be deterred by the $49 dollar tag, that's only if you require the certificate at the end of it. Otherwise it's totally free.

The Science of Well-being - Yale University

https://www.businessinsider.com/cour...-I10&r=US&IR=T

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNI View Post
    Great post hibsbollah. First positive post I’ve seen in a while. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues in the past the last couple of weeks have been tough. When the News and media are constantly throwing words like death, virus, pandemic, enemy, war etc. On a 24 hour loop it can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Best thing I’ve done is just take a wee break from all news and social media and I’ve been encouraging others to do so, even just for a day or two.

Take care everyone. Our mental well-being is so so important alongside our physical health and don’t be afraid to speak up.
    100% agree with that. I came off Facebook the other day and I am also trying to watch regular TV programmes which have nothing to do with the virus. I'm keeping in touch with the news but I am trying to keep it to a minimum as I'm finding it all a bit too much to cope with just now.

Not having any timescale for how long this is all going to last is the hardest part. If it was definitely 12 weeks then I could try to mentally prepare for that but it's really just a guess as no-one knows and it could be much longer than that.

Also some free courses here

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6Alay0TF3LQJsd0aeFPK qect0F15yZZ1s33f04k0V6U43FoCWVEk-wxoC5HgQAvD_BwE

Hope the link works

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    It's a tough time for many, and I thought I would add my tuppence worth.

It's likely that many of us will experience a recurrence of old issues, and that some will be experiencing anxiety for the first time.

Most of my therapy clients over the last couple of years have been people struggling with anxiety and related conditions, and that will probably continue.

In the short-term, though, I am happy to have chats with anyone on here who is struggling; whether that be by PM here, by phone or online. This isn't a marketing exercise (I'm not looking for payment), but my way of doing my bit and passing on whatever tips and techniques that I can.

Stay safe :)

Thanks CWG, that's very kind 👍

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Also some free courses here

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6Alay0TF3LQJsd0aeFPK qect0F15yZZ1s33f04k0V6U43FoCWVEk-wxoC5HgQAvD_BwE

Hope the link works
    Doesn’t work bud

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Doesn’t work bud

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    https://www.open.edu/openlearn/
    Thanks Stu

Not having any timescale for how long this is all going to last is the hardest part. If it was definitely 12 weeks then I could try to mentally prepare for that but it's really just a guess as no-one knows and it could be much longer than that.
    Maybe try to modify this way of thinking mate, looking too far ahead with any problem only causes anxiety, hence the old saying of 'one day at a time'.

Further to that, living in the present and learning how to increasingly do that is helpful. Looking back too often can be a contributor to depression, whilst living in the future too much, anxiety can lay there.

Living in the present isn't always easy, that's understood but with practice one can get better at it and i promise it's a better place to 'be'. I often have clients recovering from addictions who are doing well but say things like, i'm okay now Stu, but what's it going to be like in six months' time? My response is to ask them why they trouble themselves so with what 'might' happen then? To look after today, this very day is the way. When you wake up with God's (or whatever you believe in's) good grace, do the very same thing.

Sending love to all my pals in Scotland and others who read.

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Maybe try to modify this way of thinking mate, looking too far ahead with any problem only causes anxiety, hence the old saying of 'one day at a time'.

Further to that, living in the present and learning how to increasingly do that is helpful. Looking back too often can be a contributor to depression, whilst living in the future too much, anxiety can lay there.

Living in the present isn't always easy, that's understood but with practice one can get better at it and i promise it's a better place to 'be'. I often have clients recovering from addictions who are doing well but say things like, i'm okay now Stu, but what's it going to be like in six months' time? My response is to ask them why they trouble themselves so with what 'might' happen then? To look after today, this very day is the way. When you wake up with God's (or whatever you believe in's) good grace, do the very same thing.

Sending love to all my pals in Scotland and others who read.
    Well said mate, I think SDG could do himself some good from taking a wee break from posting daily updates on the number of new cases/deaths each day. Try and focus on something a tad more uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Well said mate, I think SDG could do himself some good from taking a wee break from posting daily updates on the number of new cases/deaths each day. Try and focus on something a tad more uplifting.
    I am trying. Where's the Hearts administration thread?

I am trying. Where's the Hearts administration thread?
    There you go! 👏

I’ve suffered mentally in the past but, strangely, I’m not finding the current situation too difficult to deal with despite my job being under threat and so on.

I put my relatively clear mind down to exercise. Obviously, following the rules, I’ll only be able to get out running or whatever once a day. Luckily, I’ve got a bit space in the back garden that I can use to do some stuff as well.

I’m looking at the next few weeks as an opportunity to really build a bit of fitness. Generally, I do quite well during the week and then undo my good work at the weekend. Not going to have that issue for a considerable time now so that’s going to be the thing that gives me a positive focus.

@hibs.net private member
    My anxiety issues have started to spike a bit now. I’m asthmatic so am a bit concerned about the virus but my usual coping strategy - exercise- has largely been cut off and this lockdown isn’t helping. Also having a bit more alcohol than I usually have as stuck in the house and the temptation is there. Will need to make a real effort to try new or adapted coping strategies now

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    This is one for all the therapists and counsellors out there.

The NHS are currently setting up a network to help staff with their mental health issues. It's only just started (I registered yesterday), and already they have over 2,000 volunteers.

PM me if you want to know the process.