hibs.net Messageboard

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1993
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We recorded another mental health podcast last night, which is available to listen to now:

Anchor:
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episod...-Room-5-e8snkg

iTunes:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...f-166af5d6f134

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/5DW...QmitOVS1YWtl3w

We're looking for guests for the show, so if you're interested in helping others by sharing your experiences, pm me, DM @longbangers on Twitter, or email longbangers@gmail.com
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We recorded the latest mental health episode with the fascinating George Lewis (you can see more about George here: https://www.mumforce.co.uk/post/my-h...urney-week-5-6 and here: https://georgelewishypnotherapy.co.uk/

Episode is available on:
    iTunes
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...s/id1474463560

Spotify
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/3jz...TL68J9RY1DS6Cg

Anchor
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episod...-Room-6-e90jr5

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Without over egging things I’ve been feeling noticeably less enthused about things and no motivation to get up and go other than for work.

I wouldn’t go as far to say the was any depressive/sadness/worthlessness feelings, just a lowness that confuses me.

Any advice or help would be great.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Without over egging things I’ve been feeling noticeably less enthused about things and no motivation to get up and go other than for work.

I wouldn’t go as far to say the was any depressive/sadness/worthlessness feelings, just a lowness that confuses me.

Any advice or help would be great.
    Are you sure it's linked to the time of year and not something else which happens to coincides with it? Do you get this feeling every winter? It isn't something I know anything about, but isn't it the case that suicide rates increase in the Scandinavian countries during their long winters?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Are you sure it's linked to the time of year and not something else which happens to coincides with it? Do you get this feeling every winter? It isn't something I know anything about, but isn't it the case that suicide rates increase in the Scandinavian countries during their long winters?
    It something I’ve noticed for the past 3/4 years. The only coincidence is the time of year. The last few years it’s been fleeting and not as potent as the feelings this year where I’ve had consistent low mood.

I work in agriculture and spend extensive amounts of time outside at all times of year, I just wonder if this is heightening the issues. I was at uni for the last three years so would spend more amounts of time inside but after graduating in July l’ve been farming full time and this involves spending upwards of ten hours outside in the summer.

We had our first baby this year too, I worry that maybe this is a culmination of tiredness as well. I also haven’t had a chance to recharge the batteries after a busy harvest period either which maybe hasn’t helped.

Thanks for the reply anyway, I thought your contribution to the general election thread was absolutely excellent.

It something I’ve noticed for the past 3/4 years. The only coincidence is the time of year. The last few years it’s been fleeting and not as potent as the feelings this year where I’ve had consistent low mood.

I work in agriculture and spend extensive amounts of time outside at all times of year, I just wonder if this is heightening the issues. I was at uni for the last three years so would spend more amounts of time inside but after graduating in July l’ve been farming full time and this involves spending upwards of ten hours outside in the summer.

We had our first baby this year too, I worry that maybe this is a culmination of tiredness as well. I also haven’t had a chance to recharge the batteries after a busy harvest period either which maybe hasn’t helped.

Thanks for the reply anyway, I thought your contribution to the general election thread was absolutely excellent.
    Have you researched it further online? If it's having a significant impact, you need to seek further assistance. Have you seen your GP?

Have you researched it further online? If it's having a significant impact, you need to seek further assistance. Have you seen your GP?
    Yes I’ve looked into it, it’s nothing I don’t think can sort myself. I’d rather try the techniques and changes to lifestyle I’ve read about than go straight to the GP, for starters the waiting list is so long by the time I get an appointment the days will be getting longer again 😂

Yes I’ve looked into it, it’s nothing I don’t think can sort myself. I’d rather try the techniques and changes to lifestyle I’ve read about than go straight to the GP, for starters the waiting list is so long by the time I get an appointment the days will be getting longer again 😂
    A couple of weeks in the Canary Islands at this time of year would probably work wonders, if you can afford it!

I hope everyone is as well as they can be!

The next drop in for The Changing Room is tonight. If you can make it then meet for 6pm at the West Stand entrance. It’s free, you’ll have the chance to talk in a safe environment about your mental health, you get a cuppa and a biscuit and there’s a football quiz tonight!

A couple of weeks in the Canary Islands at this time of year would probably work wonders, if you can afford it!
    That’s would be smashing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Even if you can't afford that arrange a day out to somewhere. I remember when I was coming out of a rut, how invigorating a bus trip to Glasgow was.

A break from the routine gives you a chance to step back and take stock.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ks-anxiety-nfl

This is an interesting story and evidence that even in the most 'man-up' of environments that its OK to be open about mental health

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    My work is generaly a very similar routine every day. Same office, same issues, same people, same challenges. It's a business that struggles to keep its head above water from month to month - almost every month - and has done for years now. I carry the stress and anxiety of that around with me every day. I'm never 'off'.

There are a number of things that can help me - eat, sleep, move is more or less my mantra to stay sane - but even just doing something different in a day takes me out of myself and gives me some perspective. Something as simple as a different walk at lunchtime or trying to work in a different place from time to time. It's a bit trite but I suppose I'm saying that a change really is as good as a break.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    My work is generaly a very similar routine every day. Same office, same issues, same people, same challenges. It's a business that struggles to keep its head above water from month to month - almost every month - and has done for years now. I carry the stress and anxiety of that around with me every day. I'm never 'off'.

There are a number of things that can help me - eat, sleep, move is more or less my mantra to stay sane - but even just doing something different in a day takes me out of myself and gives me some perspective. Something as simple as a different walk at lunchtime or trying to work in a different place from time to time. It's a bit trite but I suppose I'm saying that a change really is as good as a break.
    That sounds like a pretty awful situation ODS, is there scope for you to move on to somewhere in the same field but with more security?

I’m fortunate in a way in that my work is just ****ing boring, monotonous and underpaid. It’s real slog at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Even if you can't afford that arrange a day out to somewhere. I remember when I was coming out of a rut, how invigorating a bus trip to Glasgow was.

A break from the routine gives you a chance to step back and take stock.
    Yepp that’s a great way to do things.

A good hike clears the head something wonderful. Dollar Glen is just about as lovely a spot to hike up, or Alva Glen, if you want a hike not far from Edinburgh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yepp that’s a great way to do things.

A good hike clears the head something wonderful. Dollar Glen is just about as lovely a spot to hike up, or Alva Glen, if you want a hike not far from Edinburgh.
    Dollar Glen is great. I always visit the deli first, they do great baguettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Dollar Glen is great. I always visit the deli first, they do great baguettes.
    I’ll bear that in mind. Have you been into the castle or just up to it? I’m trying to weigh up if it’s worth the entrance fee!

Gamer IDs

That sounds like a pretty awful situation ODS, is there scope for you to move on to somewhere in the same field but with more security?

I’m fortunate in a way in that my work is just ****ing boring, monotonous and underpaid. It’s real slog at this time of year.

It is I'm afraid.

If I move the business folds and people lose their jobs. We've lost a lot of staff since the 2008 collapse but not one of those 20 or so people was made redundant, we managed to slim down over a period of years through natural wasteage. I take pride in that but it's come at a personal cost - both financial and psychological. So most days are trying to avoid being eaten by the bears, which I guess at least gives you a very real sense of being alive. We are in the process of trying to change what the business does at the moment and there's some prospect that could make life different in the next 12 months. I hope so because I want to be able to give more time and head space to my wife and kids in the next few years - I'm old enough now to realise that most things beyond friends and family are just diversionary bread and circuses so spending lots of time dragging around interlinked business and personal debt behind you like a ball and chain is a poor way to spend your fifties.

November is always bad. I regard November and February as the same months dressed up differently - cold, grey, wet dull. But December and March make up for it, you just have to push on through.

It is I'm afraid.

If I move the business folds and people lose their jobs. We've lost a lot of staff since the 2008 collapse but not one of those 20 or so people was made redundant, we managed to slim down over a period of years through natural wasteage. I take pride in that but it's come at a personal cost - both financial and psychological. So most days are trying to avoid being eaten by the bears, which I guess at least gives you a very real sense of being alive. We are in the process of trying to change what the business does at the moment and there's some prospect that could make life different in the next 12 months. I hope so because I want to be able to give more time and head space to my wife and kids in the next few years - I'm old enough now to realise that most things beyond friends and family are just diversionary bread and circuses so spending lots of time dragging around interlinked business and personal debt behind you like a ball and chain is a poor way to spend your fifties.

November is always bad. I regard November and February as the same months dressed up differently - cold, grey, wet dull. But December and March make up for it, you just have to push on through.
    I hope so mate, you sound like a stand up colleague. You’ve every right to take pride in that record, but it sounds like a fairly hellish way to live day-to-day.

I like your way of looking at the months too. I already feel a lot lighter knowing that November is nearly finished.

It is I'm afraid.

I’m sure it won’t make it feel any better but apart from “fifties” I can relate to every single word of your post.

This thread is a great one and one that I have considered contributing to but the time has never been right.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I’m sure it won’t make it feel any better but apart from “fifties” I can relate to every single word of your post.

This thread is a great one and one that I have considered contributing to but the time has never been right.

It actually does. Solidarity Brother.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

We continue our mental health discussion on the Longbangers podcast, joined tonight by Graham, who shared his experiences of anxiety and depression.

Anchor/web
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episod...-Room-7-e98bce

iTunes
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...s/id1474463560

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/02c...TBiLZQ_OT4mNJg

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ks-anxiety-nfl

This is an interesting story and evidence that even in the most 'man-up' of environments that its OK to be open about mental health
    Interesting. I’m not saying this was the case with Michael Stewart, but I had my suspicions something like that might have had something to do with the episodes of vomiting on the pitch that Michael Stewart had when he was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Interesting. I’m not saying this was the case with Michael Stewart, but I had my suspicions something like that might have had something to do with the episodes of vomiting on the pitch that Michael Stewart had when he was with us.
    If you consider how many actors, comedians etc have gone public about their performance anxiety (what we used to call stage fright) it would be weird if it wasn't a common thing among professional athletes as well. I bet it's massively underreported.

When you then take into consideration the scrutiny of performance and what is financially at stake in some of these games then I'm amazed it doesn't happen more.

The lack of empathy bordering on resentment due to often colossal earnings can't help either.

At the end of the day we're all human, with all the frailties and weaknesses that go with that, which is worth thinking about prior to launching a volley of abuse at a match or sending a tweet that might just about be legal but is hurtful in the extreme to a sportsperson who has just had a bad day at the office.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The lack of empathy bordering on resentment due to often colossal earnings can't help either.

At the end of the day we're all human, with all the frailties and weaknesses that go with that, which is worth thinking about prior to launching a volley of abuse at a match or sending a tweet that might just about be legal but is hurtful in the extreme to a sportsperson who has just had a bad day at the office.
    I've been thinking for a while about this subject too. Wrote a little about it:

'On a wider note, I have a growing feeling that professional footballers, perhaps due to considerations of their their ‘wealth’ (or assumed wealth) are being somewhat sacrificed for the needs of the game. In Peter and Jeff’s day footballers were perhaps considered differently with much more modest rewards available from the game. In the modern era, it seems to me that players are increasingly vulnerable to addictions such as those of gambling, alcohol and recreational drugs. Stories of depression, anxiety and even suicidality in players due to pressures of the industry and attendant lifestyle are becoming more common and are almost certainly under-diagnosed and reported due to stigma and ignorance. It’s almost as though the players cannot complain about the issues or problems they are experiencing in the public’s view due to arguably, a minority being paid fortunes to play the game many would love to.

I do feel the football industry and individual clubs need to focus more on the health and well-being of football players – no matter how much or little they earn. Money is not a protective factor for health or mental health in these circumstances. Tales of excess and ruined lives litter the professional game and those stories are certainly not relegated to the modern era solely. Players it appears are increasingly more indulged and overprotected in everyday matters of running heir lives and careers. Their personal health and well-being however seems to be a lesser consideration. In some ways, attitudes in the game have not evolved significantly from past days with certain subjects still being subject to stigmatisation.'

Testimonial Due
    Just watched a fairly badly edited report on BBC on a Cowdenbeath player coming out as suffering from depression. Club are supporting in a good way saying if associated abuse from opposition players or fans continue then they will walk off the pitch during matches. Fair play Blue Brazil
    Last edited by JoeT; 06-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Just watched a fairly badly edited report on BBC on a Cowdenbeath player coming out as suffering from depression. Club are supporting in a good way saying if associated abuse from opposition players or fans continue then they will walk off the pitch during matches. Fair play Blue Brazil
    I am sure I read an article/interview about him, David Cox and his battles with mental health. During the worst times he contemplated taking his own life.

The abuse he has received from the opposition players is utterly disgusting and if Cowdenbeath believe the abuse is that bad I would back their decision to walk off the pitch.
    Other clubs need to be wary of this and need to step up and punish their own players.

Easy target for the bully boys trying to get one over on the opposition however this could have dire consequences. Lowest of the low imho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I am sure I read an article/interview about him, David Cox and his battles with mental health. During the worst times he contemplated taking his own life.

The abuse he has received from the opposition players is utterly disgusting and if Cowdenbeath believe the abuse is that bad I would back their decision to walk off the pitch.
    Other clubs need to be wary of this and need to step up and punish their own players.

Easy target for the bully boys trying to get one over on the opposition however this could have dire consequences. Lowest of the low imho!

With stories like that it’s no wonder so many men hide their feelings and don’t talk. It’s even more despicable that this was done by opposing players. I really hope they get outed and never kick a ball again.

With stories like that it’s no wonder so many men hide their feelings and don’t talk. It’s even more despicable that this was done by opposing players. I really hope they get outed and never kick a ball again.
    Indeed.

It takes a lot of courage for anyone to talk about these sort of issues but to be let Fuentes by your fellow professionals is disgusting.

Those involved should be ashamed of their actions and like you e mentioned I hope they get named and shamed.