hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Better overall player: Griffiths or Riordan?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Griffiths

82 50.62%
  • Riordan

55 33.95%
  • Undecided

25 15.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Griffiths vs Riordan

Disclaimer: just for a bit of fun.

We all knew this was coming at some point, lets try to keep it friendly

Riordan is and will always be a Hibs legend and Leigh, though talented, is still nowhere near 'legendary status' when it comes to scoring goals for the cabbage - lets not let current form make us forget that.

Two Hibbys who play/played for the Hibees () with a habit for finding the back of the net; who is the better overall player? Can you separate them?

I voted for 'undecided'.

Riordan IMO is still a better striker of the ball, give him an inch he takes a yard, and sends a 30 yarder past the yams. Griffiths however, has a unique combination of skill, pace and strength - such a combination is rare within the SPL, even within the OF.

They both are equally as clinical, and deadly with a striking parter who can create a bit of space.

I'm leaning towards Sparky to be honest, and maybe in a years time my opinion will have changed, but to give Deeks his due I couldn't pick one or the other when it comes to who I think is the better player when on-form and playing in a confident side - for now anyway.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disclaimer: just for a bit of fun.

We all knew this was coming at some point, lets try to keep it friendly

Riordan is and will always be a Hibs legend and Leigh, though talented, is still nowhere near 'legendary status' when it comes to scoring goals for the cabbage - lets not let current form make us forget that.

Two Hibbys who play/played for the Hibees () with a habit for finding the back of the net; who is the better overall player? Can you separate them?

I voted for 'undecided'.

Riordan IMO is still a better striker of the ball, give him an inch he takes a yard, and sends a 30 yarder past the yams. Griffiths however, has a unique combination of skill, pace and strength - such a combination is rare within the SPL, even within the OF.

They both are equally as clinical, and deadly with a striking parter who can create a bit of space.

I'm leaning towards Sparky to be honest, and maybe in a years time my opinion will have changed, but to give Deeks his due I couldn't pick one or the other when it comes to who I think is the better player when on-form and playing in a confident side - for now anyway.
    firstly, there is no OF when it comes to the SPL, but Iwould vote Riordan, at the minute but there is no "box" to vote in?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    oops !!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Riordan for now. If Leigh gets 105 goals for the Hibs then it's over to him

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    too early to say.

LG appears to have a better attitude towards the overall game, but technically I think DR shades it.

Both of them, screwing the knuckle down (thats, 'the knuckle down') and being the most professional athletes they could be, would be absolutely top drawer.

the future is in their own hands, but they're in the right place, and the right time, to do something us unlucky wannabe's cannot.

Voted for undecided.. I think Griffiths has the potential to be better but as it stands it has to be Riordan.. that said Griffiths is 22 and has a great career ahead of him if he keeps focus

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    firstly, there is no OF when it comes to the SPL, but Iwould vote Riordan, at the minute but there is no "box" to vote in?
    There should be; if you are viewing the mobile version of the site or browsing with tapatalk then you can't vote - I had to login whilst browsing the full site in safari to post the poll.

I don't think it's too early to make a judgement on who we think is the better player; Riordan's unequalled record does make it difficult though.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Riordan is a much more complete player who should have gone on to a great career.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Deeks scored more brilliant goals than any Hibs player I have ever seen but if Sparky is playing in League 2 at age 29 I'd be absolutely amazed.

Griffiths has potential to be a great player.

Riordan was an absolute genius and one of the greatest players I've ever seen kick a football. No contest.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    I voted Griffiths. He's got the wonderful finishing Riordan had, the skill he had, and the clinical prowess in front of goal. But I think he has more than Riordan in that he has pace and the ability to beat a man with his runs.

Not nearly as much as a legend as Riordan is just yet but get him on a three year deal I would be near certain he will be!
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Deeks scored more brilliant goals than any Hibs player I have ever seen but if Sparky is playing in League 2 at age 29 I'd be absolutely amazed.
    What he said, no going to vote on this one though, both did/doing their bit for the club they support.........

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Riordan is playing for Bristol Rovers, for the point he is at in his career that is crap. I think LG will go on to prove himself a great player.
    Needs to keep focused and listen, otherwise Bristol Rovers for him too!
    Best contribution to hibs - at present DR, his goals in the record books! But LG has potential to do much more!

Tough one. Deek has the long career and 100+ goals behind him, but he blotted his copybook towards the end with some dire performances in his second spell. Leigh is faster, works harder and has the potential to be better allround player.

Coaching Staff
    Totally different players but both very gifted. Has to be the early years of Derek for me though - a boy who was equally comfortable right or left foot, deft touches, all different types of goals, even with his head on occasion. Could score tap ins and goals that defied logic.

Leigh is superb, I love his attitude and work rate - when I say attitude I mean he has a touch of arrogance which all good players need and once he grabs a goal he immediately wants another one. A busy pest of a player- great first touch and a left foot to die for - but a bit too one sided at times hence Derek always shades it on technical ability.

Leigh has all the makings of a modern day Hibs legend though in my opinion - 3 year deal, maybe earn a big move halfway into it and get Hibs some big much needed cash. Maybe get some silverware too.

Nice wee volley with his right foot yesterday though

How many goals did deeks score in the same games griff has so far? Possibly an interesting measure to compare?

Never fails to amaze me how quickly fans forget, Deek with left or right foot was probably better than Sparky. Not saying Sparky wont get there but come backin another 5 years and have this debate.

Lets just enjoy Sparky and don't underestimate how good Deek was at his peak.

First Team Breakthrough Hibby_G's Avatar
    I would say Leigh dunno why but i think he will score a lot of goals and i mean a lot of goals for hibees

:fenlon:jmcp::giruy:

Coaching Staff
    Sparky looks like someone has got inside his head and helped him screw the nut a bit.

Time will probably prove him overall the better player if he keeps it up.

That said, Riordan is often judged too harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    Nice wee volley with his right foot yesterday though
    The Force was definitely flowing through him there

I hope we have this discussion in a few years when Griffiths really has made his name legendary and banged in 100+ goals for the team.

How great is it though that we are actually having a discussion comparing a CURRENT Hibs player to DR?

I haven't felt this good about Hibs in a long time - and Pat has only had one real transfer window to work with.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I voted Derek Riordan, he's probably the best finisher i have seen in a Hibs shirt. Over to you Lee, make me change my mind.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Sparky edges it IMO. What's going on between the ears making the difference.

I am not sure Griffiths is going to be around long enough to make the comparisons.

I said at that start of the season I wasn't fussed about getting him back (for the petulant stuff as opposed to ability) but I'd hate to think what will happen if he goes now.

Dereks record at ER is incomparacle in recent years. The numbers and quality of goals he scored was superb.

Leigh has all the talent in the world and has the potential to match and better Derek. As long as he keeps the head and doesn't get involved in any nonsense he could go on to do great things for Hibs and elsewhere.

Getting him signed up is the first step.

Sat on the fence with this one, Deek scored some incredible goals especially against "them" and the huns to name just two, Sparky however has a much higher effort range than Deek ever had and at times he looks like scoring every time he's on the ball,

Tough one right now for me

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    How many goals did deeks score in the same games griff has so far? Possibly an interesting measure to compare?

Correct, Deek, played a lot more games for us than Sparky has so, at this moment in time unfair to compair overall contributions. Both good goal scorers, both Hibs fans playing for the team they support. Both loved by the fans, however,......if push comes to shove, would say Sparky wins [got my vote] as he not only scores goals his work-rate for the team is better than Deeks ever was. Give Sparky the same time at E/R that Deek had and I am confident he will score as many, [if not more] goals than Deek did. Both are good players, however, it is sad to see Deek now, such a waste as if he had just screwed the nut could be playing at a lot higher level.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Its a difficult one comparing two players who are at completely different points in their careers.

Riordan had so much potential, he should have gone on to play at the highest level and for Scotland. Sadly he never reached that.

I think Griffiths possibly has as much ability, seems to have less baggage and if we can keep him (not from a selfish point of view but rather for his career), I think he will go on to much better things. If he makes another move like he did with Wolves, or Goodwillie at Blackburn, he will just end up being swallowed up by the system. He really needs to think wisely, hes got a good thing going at Hibs and should he want to stay, at least for another year or two, he will get a much better move than might be available to him now!