hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chairman Speaks

@hibs.net private member

Chairman Speaks

Petrie speaks to the supporters

Hibernian Chairman Rod Petrie today thanked those supporters who have backed the Club during a time of financial difficulty and uncertainty for Scottish football - and appealed to those still to return to Easter Road Stadium to play their part to support the continued improvement of the team.

And he stressed that the Club hopes that the forthcoming run of home fixtures, most falling on a Saturday with a 3pm kickoff time, will help encourage still more fans to return and play their part in sustaining the team's improvement.

He said: "The unprecedented events of this summer created high levels of uncertainty in Scottish football, adding to the commercial difficulties faced by clubs at a time of economic recession. The uncertainty was created by the actions of those people running one club, but the financial impact has been felt by every club.

"In our own case, this added to the difficulties presented by two years of under-performance on the pitch. A great deal of work has been done to address that, both on the pitch and off. Progress has been made, but we are still some distance short of where we need to be.

"The Club has approximately 8,000 Season Ticket holders for 2012-13, which is up on the number for 2011-12 despite the severe economic conditions facing every household. The Club is grateful to those supporters who rallied to the call in the summer to find an additional 3,000 Season Ticket Holders. In the final analysis, an extra 1,000 Season Tickets were sold. In the main, it was existing Season Ticket Holders who bought the additional tickets or who bought Kicks for Kids tickets to help those less fortunate than themselves get access to matches at Easter Road Stadium.

We know that there are still significant numbers of individuals and families who had Season Tickets in 2010-11 and 2011-12 but who are not Season Ticket Holders for this Season. The challenge for the Club is to do all that it can to get everyone back on board, attending matches.

"Attendances at Easter Road Stadium have grown from 9,600 against St Johnstone in the second home match of the Season to 10,200 against Dundee in the fifth home game. The attendance at the match against Dundee as 'club 12' was well short of the attendance of 17,100 against Rangers in August 2010 when the East Stand was opened for the first time in a domestic fixture.

"Home attendances are growing from the low level reached following two years of under-performance on the pitch. We have tried to match the ambitions of supporters by investing in the team - the signing of James McPake was something that everyone wanted to see. Gradually, in difficult circumstances, Pat Fenlon has assembled a team that has proved much more resilient and competitive at the upper end of the table.
    "Supporters like what they see and hopefully will be encouraged to continue to return to Easter Road Stadium in greater numbers. Supporters have created a great atmosphere within the Stadium and the players have responded - its just what we needed.

"We would like to do more to help Pat sustain that improvement again in the January Transfer Window. That will depend on our core source of income - receipts from attendances at home games between now and the turn of the year.

"There is no magic wand - everyone needs to do what they can, but only if they can, in these times of economic hardship. We are impatient and want to do more. However, we can only operate within the resources available to us from supporters.

"I would like to thank everyone for what they have done this Season. However I have to ask every supporter to look again and to do what they can from within their own budget - be that attending more matches as a walk-up supporter, committing to a half season ticket when they go on sale, buying their own little piece of the history and fabric of Easter Road through the iconic East Terrace scheme, or through other purchases at the re-vamped Clubstore."

2. Log in to remove the advert

"There is no magic wand - everyone needs to do what they can, but only if they can, in these times of economic hardship."

I like this. It's urging supporters to get behind the club and help out but without the guilt-trip like our neighbours across the city are subjecting their fans to.

Testimonial Due
    Good statement. Wonder if the club is thinking about selling (in addition to half seasons) - ticket 'carnets'. with these you can buy a set of say five or ten discounted tickets to be used when and where. You don't have to wait for half seasons to become available and you can use them to take a friend.

London underground and some rail companies use them for occasional commuters:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog...-tickets-saver

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Good statement. There's been a massive upturn on the pitch from the players, the ball is now firmly in the court of us, the supporters - particularly those of you who are staying away when you have the resources to attend.

It's quite simple, the more punters paying at the turnstiles, the better the product to enjoy on the pitch.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good statement. Wonder if the club is thinking about selling (in addition to half seasons) - ticket 'carnets'. with these you can buy a set of say five or ten discounted tickets to be used when and where. You don't have to wait for half seasons to become available and you can use them to take a friend.

London underground and some rail companies use them for occasional commuters:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog...-tickets-saver
    The trick would be to balance against impacting ST and half ST sales.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

What's the East Terrace scheme ?

I was a season ticket holder for 18 years but had to give it up 2 years ago due to work. If I could be back then I would be in a shot. I still go when I can and will be at the Utd game next Sunday.

There is something I would be willing to do and Im sure there will be others like me. I was really worried last year when I thought that I was going to miss out on a ticket for the final. Thankfully I got one due to a friend who is a season ticket holder being away on holiday at the time. The thought of me not getting one while hearing of stories of Rangers/Celtic/whoever else supporters managing to somehow get a hold of one was driving me crazy.

I think Hibs really need to do another membership type scheme where people like me can pay £30 or so which allows them certain benefits which would include being next in line for tickets when we reach Hampden. Obviously after season ticket holders have been taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsmad View Post
    I was a season ticket holder for 18 years but had to give it up 2 years ago due to work. If I could be back then I would be in a shot. I still go when I can and will be at the Utd game next Sunday.

There is something I would be willing to do and Im sure there will be others like me. I was really worried last year when I thought that I was going to miss out on a ticket for the final. Thankfully I got one due to a friend who is a season ticket holder being away on holiday at the time. The thought of me not getting one while hearing of stories of Rangers/Celtic/whoever else supporters managing to somehow get a hold of one was driving me crazy.

I think Hibs really need to do another membership type scheme where people like me can pay £30 or so which allows them certain benefits which would include being next in line for tickets when we reach Hampden. Obviously after season ticket holders have been taken care of.
    A membership scheme of this very type existed from roughly Christmas last year, and was apparently a 12 month scheme so presumably something should be announced soon? I know I've still not been paying booking fees when buying online, and the membership was a godsend for my cup final ticket (unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    A membership scheme of this very type existed from roughly Christmas last year, and was apparently a 12 month scheme so presumably something should be announced soon? I know I've still not been paying booking fees when buying online, and the membership was a godsend for my cup final ticket (unfortunately).
    Yeah I was aware of this and would now like to see Hibs do another one like it. I did not take it up last year as I foolishly didn't see the benefit until it was too late. There must be a lot of people who got a similar fright to me last year when it came to getting a ticket for the final. Surely a lot of people would jump at the chance if they ran it again.

Even though I have only missed 1 home game I think ill still buy a half season ticket. Pretty sure there is a few of us thinking fhe same.

We can go top of the league (for a while) on Saturday. Hopefully as many as possible will get along to ER to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    What's the East Terrace scheme ?
    http://www.eastterrace.co.uk/

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    We can go top of the league (for a while) on Saturday. Hopefully as many as possible will get along to ER to see it happen.
    And with celtc having a tough game away to the Arabs we could stay top for the rest of the week.

C'mon folks get along and give your support to the team.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...amNeedsYou.png From Rod.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    When LWT reached out to lapsed ST holders there were a number pledging to see how things went and if performances improved, players cared, the manager was backed then they'd buy half STs.

If that was you what are your thoughts now?

Hopefully well see an upturn in numbers.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I would love to return to E.R sometime this season but due to mental health issues and other health issues I've not been able to attend as yet. However I have bought from the club store and would do anything else I could manage to make the team a force both on and off the park. That includes ramming it up all the jamboid friends that I have.

@hibs.net private member
    Strange tweet from a rabid Hun on twitter

@JohnDCGow: Strange letter from Hibs pleading with fans for extra income: http://t.co/ptVRyoCp

I don't see the pleading he's on about and I also don't see how it's a strange letter.

More a summing up of our current situation and where we intend to go in the immediate future!? Or am I being too kind to our board?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post

@JohnDCGow: Strange letter from Hibs pleading with fans for extra income: http://t.co/ptVRyoCp

I don't see the pleading he's on about and I also don't see how it's a strange letter.

More a summing up of our current situation and where we intend to go in the immediate future!? Or am I being too kind to our board?
    Not a begging letter imo, just a stark statement of where we are and how others can help. I didn't see anything in Rods statement to suggest we are in any kind of financial bother.

The huns are lapping up every bit of perceived bad news about other clubs as they still feel someone other than themselves is to blame for their mess.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every bit of financial bad news at any club or finance raising initiative will be jumped on by Rangers fans as a consequence of the naughty SPL clubs turning their backs on the Mighty Gers. The dreadful global financial climate and the fact Scottish clubs' budgets have been deteriorating for several years now will have nothing to do with it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Only strange in that he isnt used to a football club being able to communicate honestly with their fans without mentioning people being bigots, honouring tradition, new orange strips and we are the pepul in the same sentence.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Every bit of financial bad news at any club or finance raising initiative will be jumped on by Rangers fans as a consequence of the naughty SPL clubs turning their backs on the Mighty Gers. The dreadful global financial climate and the fact Scottish clubs' budgets have been deteriorating for several years now will have nothing to do with it.
    Yes exactly this, the lack of valuable tv income and other sponsorships is a problem the whole of the SPL has had to deal with.

A further tweet from the Hun who writes for ESPN etc:

@JohnDCGow: I get the feeling that some 'sporting integrity' & 'no to newco' fans will soon wish they had shown a little less glee over Rangers' plight.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Yes exactly this, the lack of valuable tv income and other sponsorships is a problem the whole of the SPL has had to deal with.

A further tweet from the Hun who writes for ESPN etc:

@JohnDCGow: I get the feeling that some 'sporting integrity' & 'no to newco' fans will soon wish they had shown a little less glee over Rangers' plight.
    I think he is confusing glee with doing the right thing. In other news Rangers are now no more. Shame.

Good statement from RP, and one that I see no problem with. He has been honest and backed up the message with facts and figures. I hope that crowds improve, as this season has been a breath of fresh air, comparable against previous seasons. I like PF and buy into what he has done/is trying to do....

Long may it continue on the playing field, and the fans will come back......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think he is confusing glee with doing the right thing. In other news Rangers are now no more. Shame.
    Haha spot on, anyway back on track...

Hibs, in the last year, have taken big strides to improve the club as a whole. Financially, it's going to b difficult but I still believe we are one of the best placed clubs to, subsequently, take advantage of a weakening SPL.

Would be good to improve the playing squad in January though, so I will be looking to take part in any scheme available to increase cash flow. I have already purchased a Season Ticket despite being involved with an amateur football team on a Saturday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So treat yourself to £100 matchday experience or spend £100 in Hibs shop for Christmas whilst Hearts fans donate £100 into the black hole of a share issue. I know which one I would prefer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Good statement from RP, and one that I see no problem with. He has been honest and backed up the message with facts and figures. I hope that crowds improve, as this season has been a breath of fresh air, comparable against previous seasons. I like PF and buy into what he has done/is trying to do....

Long may it continue on the playing field, and the fans will come back......
    Here, here!

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I'm going to go on Saturday. It's the least I can do.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncerRoss View Post
    Petrie speaks to the supporters

Hibernian Chairman Rod Petrie today thanked those supporters who have backed the Club during a time of financial difficulty and uncertainty for Scottish football - and appealed to those still to return to Easter Road Stadium to play their part to support the continued improvement of the team.

And he stressed that the Club hopes that the forthcoming run of home fixtures, most falling on a Saturday with a 3pm kickoff time, will help encourage still more fans to return and play their part in sustaining the team's improvement.

He said: "The unprecedented events of this summer created high levels of uncertainty in Scottish football, adding to the commercial difficulties faced by clubs at a time of economic recession. The uncertainty was created by the actions of those people running one club, but the financial impact has been felt by every club.

"In our own case, this added to the difficulties presented by two years of under-performance on the pitch. A great deal of work has been done to address that, both on the pitch and off. Progress has been made, but we are still some distance short of where we need to be.

"The Club has approximately 8,000 Season Ticket holders for 2012-13, which is up on the number for 2011-12 despite the severe economic conditions facing every household. The Club is grateful to those supporters who rallied to the call in the summer to find an additional 3,000 Season Ticket Holders. In the final analysis, an extra 1,000 Season Tickets were sold. In the main, it was existing Season Ticket Holders who bought the additional tickets or who bought Kicks for Kids tickets to help those less fortunate than themselves get access to matches at Easter Road Stadium.

We know that there are still significant numbers of individuals and families who had Season Tickets in 2010-11 and 2011-12 but who are not Season Ticket Holders for this Season. The challenge for the Club is to do all that it can to get everyone back on board, attending matches.

"Attendances at Easter Road Stadium have grown from 9,600 against St Johnstone in the second home match of the Season to 10,200 against Dundee in the fifth home game. The attendance at the match against Dundee as 'club 12' was well short of the attendance of 17,100 against Rangers in August 2010 when the East Stand was opened for the first time in a domestic fixture.

"Home attendances are growing from the low level reached following two years of under-performance on the pitch. We have tried to match the ambitions of supporters by investing in the team - the signing of James McPake was something that everyone wanted to see. Gradually, in difficult circumstances, Pat Fenlon has assembled a team that has proved much more resilient and competitive at the upper end of the table.
    "Supporters like what they see and hopefully will be encouraged to continue to return to Easter Road Stadium in greater numbers. Supporters have created a great atmosphere within the Stadium and the players have responded - its just what we needed.

"We would like to do more to help Pat sustain that improvement again in the January Transfer Window. That will depend on our core source of income - receipts from attendances at home games between now and the turn of the year.

"There is no magic wand - everyone needs to do what they can, but only if they can, in these times of economic hardship. We are impatient and want to do more. However, we can only operate within the resources available to us from supporters.

"I would like to thank everyone for what they have done this Season. However I have to ask every supporter to look again and to do what they can from within their own budget - be that attending more matches as a walk-up supporter, committing to a half season ticket when they go on sale, buying their own little piece of the history and fabric of Easter Road through the iconic East Terrace scheme, or through other purchases at the re-vamped Clubstore."
    No problem Mr Chairman, its been a pleasure to watch Paddy and the team progress this season and long may it continue. GGTTH :pfgwa

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "revamped clubstore" wtf???

We're down to employing the undead to sell our merchandise. Always thought there was something of the night about Petrie. Time we got him sorted - where do I buy Holy Water, not the club shop that's for sure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Well, I'm not going back until...........

• We have a manager who knows what he is doing.
    • We have a manager who talks sense.
    • We have players that show that they want to play for the team.
    • We have a midfield that can tackle and pass the ball.
    • We get rid of the lazy striker, who does not work hard enough for the team.
    • We get rid of the prima donnas.
    • We get rid of the work shy players.
    • We have a goalie that can catch and save.
    • We have a leader on the pitch.
    • We have strikers that can move and score goals.
    • We have games kicking off at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.
    • We are above Hertz in the league.
    • The atmosphere at Easter Road improves and starts rocking.
    • We start winning games at Easter Road.
    • We are near the top of the league and not fighting relegation.

..............oops, I'm running out of reasons why not to attend.

Signed season ticket holder for the last 10 years, who can't wait for Saturday afternoon. After the rubbish we have had for the last couple of years, it is great to watch some good football.